• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

Hip Hop

Ah, thanks for clarifying guys.
I'm getting the hang of the game now. It's very satisfying coming back to a track that you had a problem with but are now mastering it little by liitle.

I'm usually not a big "sim" person, but I'm having a blast with this. Can't wait to see what they have coming up.

trillbo

Alright, this game is brilliant.

I gave up on trying it out in the DK2 as it's a bit wonky right now, hopefully they fix it. Also, the FFB could be a lot better. But after spending a few hours in Career mode last night I'm hooked. I'm playing in the zoomed in cockpit mode for a better FOV, and that way the inaccurate steering wheel movement isn't distracting me.

I'm using a T500RS, and using the settings Codemasters provided except with wheel weight set to 10%. Totally manageable, but the FFB still needs some work.

Loving the subtleties of what the co-driver says. I heard him say "ice on the road from here on" in the middle of a Monaco stage, something I never heard before in any rally game. I had to set co-driver call outs to early though as he was a bit late with some calls, leaving me no time to brake for tighter corners.

Really excited to see how development progresses in the next few months!

Add me for leaderboard stuff! http://steamcommunity.com/id/trillbo/

MaxiLive

Is it possible to be good at this game with a 360 pad or is a wheel mandatory?

I know a fair few people using a controller and having a blast with it so I don't think it changes the base gameplay too much.

Obviously it is more immersive with a wheel but most racing games are!

riflen

I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this game an awful lot. It's incredibly fun to try and better your performance, while dancing that line that could ruin you at any moment. Bless those involved who decided it was time for a more modern rally game in the vein of RBR. It's very refreshing to have a games company shoot for executing a concept successfully, rather than shooting for something that will ostensibly appeal to a wide audience at a £40 price point.
The wide audience don't want a game like this (as it stands today), which is fine, but it shouldn't mean that the game shouldn't exist. The price point is more than fair for what you get and thanks for embracing more modern release models in an effort to get your work to the people that want to enjoy it.

Watching replays at Ultra with 70-144 fps at 2560x1440 on a G-Sync display is beautiful at times, despite the older technology underpinning things. Sound design is also excellent, with the approach used for creating the co-driver especially effective. I hope this title is successful for Codemasters. It's already a very polished game for the most part. Well done!

ruttyboy

In my "depotcache" folder I got two files related to Dirt Rally : one starting with 310561 and one with 310562, have you tried moving both and maybe restarting Steam ?
I thought 310560 would be there as it's the game ID but no.

Tried removing all files from the day I bought/installed it, didn't work sadly, but thanks anyway. Well, it did work because it let it install whatever it was trying to install, but now I've hit a possibly different bug that won't let me launch the game. Very frustrating, but hey, not like my PC should technically run it anyway!

I had a look around the Codies forums and Steam comments and wow there are some unreasonable people with totally warped perspectives about. People screaming and swearing that either:

1) They'd spent "SO MUCH MONEY" on the game and they can't even play it! It's £20? 0_o

2) They'd been "BETRAYED" by CM for not putting the game out on consoles, since when was early access a thing on consoles anyway?

3) The game's too hard for them to have fun using their keyboard! Their keyboard...

Please Codemasters, don't listen to those cretins, especially no. 3!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Having watched several videos of this I'm definitely going to pick it up some time next week I reckon.

Or maybe this weekend, since I've got Monday off. Hmm.

Yeah I'm buying it toinght and downloading it while I sleep so that I can play it Friday night. It's seems to be the rally game I've been wanting for years now.

flashmouth

Neo Member
Will try to copy some files from my laptop, where it works perfectly, to our pc. No idea if that even makes sense, but maybe I have a lucky shot and one file makes it work.

Bedlam

This is what I have been waiting for since Dirt 1. Hopefully this or the full game makes the jump to console eventually. I'd buy the shit out of it. :D

Makikou

Tried removing all files from the day I bought/installed it, didn't work sadly, but thanks anyway. Well, it did work because it let it install whatever it was trying to install, but now I've hit a possibly different bug that won't let me launch the game. Very frustrating, but hey, not like my PC should technically run it anyway!

I had a look around the Codies forums and Steam comments and wow there are some unreasonable people with totally warped perspectives about. People screaming and swearing that either:

1) They'd spent "SO MUCH MONEY" on the game and they can't even play it! It's £20? 0_o

2) They'd been "BETRAYED" by CM for not putting the game out on consoles, since when was early access a thing on consoles anyway?

3) The game's too hard for them to have fun using their keyboard! Their keyboard...

Please Codemasters, don't listen to those cretins, especially no. 3!

This kills the simulation.

EDIT: My DFGT has worked great since day 1, am i really the only one whose wheel actually works? o_O

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is this game supposed to be coming out for PS4?

No console announcements yet, but it is still an early access game and not planned for "release" until late this year, so it's really too early to be talking consoles anyway. Honestly I don't know if there is even a rally sim market for consoles? How well could a game like this sell on PS4 and X1?

Can't wait to get my hands on the wheel and try Dirt Rally out!

flashmouth

Neo Member

Care to share your specs? Starting to think this is some kind of hardware/OS problem rather than some "bad" files. Our pc is old, my laptop is new but not that powerful regarding gaming at all, but at least I can start it there.

cackhyena

God that's great. Having that kind of banter in it would be so good. I keep thinking, this dude is calm as shit for how I drive sometimes.

DD

Yup, I'm putting a blog post up about them on dirtgame.com later about how we recorded them and what they mean. Our Chief Game Designer is the voice of the co-driver and he actually does rally in the real world.

Here is a video of him and Jon Tucker on stage a few weekends ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPc_VByiNh4

Jon worked at Codemasters as Project Manager and if it wasn't for him, the handling team and a lot of other people in the studio pushing for that feeling you get when you are on stage you could have wound up with another DiRT 3 feeling game.

EDIT (Before I get told off): Not that there was anything wrong with DiRT 3.
Hey Big Lee, nice to have you here. Listen, I'm having big drops on the framerate on some parts of Montecarlo, from 60 to around 30 FPS sometimes. Am I the only one reporting this? Is there a way that I can help, like providing some kind of file or anything else?

On another note, I believe I've never seen such positive feedback from a Codemasters game in a long time. Even though I bough and enjoyed a lot of F1 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013; Grid 1, 2 and Autosport; Dirt 1, 2, 3 and Showdown; Fuel and Toca 3 (hell, even Operation Flashpoint) on my PC, I don't recall people being so excited for a new CM game like now. So, it's kind of known that CM is passing through rough times, with layoffs ans such, and I really hope you guys get back on your feet, and that this positive feedback inject some energy in you guys, and may you Codies come back as the big and very respected monster you once was.

Cheers!

Is it possible to be good at this game with a 360 pad or is a wheel mandatory?

I'm playing with a X360 pad and I have nothing to complain.

No console announcements yet, but it is still an early access game and not planned for "release" until late this year, so it's really too early to be talking consoles anyway. Honestly I don't know if there is even a rally sim market for consoles? How well could a game like this sell on PS4 and X1?

Can't wait to get my hands on the wheel and try Dirt Rally out!

I don't believe that they'll port the old Ego engine for the new generation of consoles. Everyone was screaming for it when they announced Grid Autosport last year, but they didn't.

ruttyboy

Care to share your specs? Starting to think this is some kind of hardware/OS problem rather than some "bad" files. Our pc is old, my laptop is new but not that powerful regarding gaming at all, but at least I can start it there.

Sure:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Socket 775, 2.4GHz
Asus P5B Deluxe iP965, S775
2Gb Patriot DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz CL4 Extreme Performance Dual Channel kit
512MB BFG Technology 8800GT OC, PCI-E
150 Gb Western Digital WD1500ADFD Raptor
Windows 7 64 bit

Was very nice when I built it, but eight years on it's a bit ropey :D

The min spec is 4GB of RAM which I don't have and a GT430, which, although my 8800GT is technically faster, is a newer chipset so not sure if that would matter.

I've suspected for a bit that the hard drive might not be quite right, not getting any crashes or anything but it churns and stops responding sometimes. But then again that could just be it caching to the page file when my 2GB is all used up.

flashmouth

Neo Member
Sure:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Socket 775, 2.4GHz
Asus P5B Deluxe iP965, S775
2Gb Patriot DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz CL4 Extreme Performance Dual Channel kit
512MB BFG Technology 8800GT OC, PCI-E
150 Gb Western Digital WD1500ADFD Raptor
Windows 7 64 bit

Well, that's basically as sad as mine, also run C2D, 2Gb Ram, 512Mb ATI 4850 and Win7 64. Making one last effort now with a new installed game and copied steam folder, but I doubt it will help.
I can either get an installation window that stops at 1% and results in error 41 or, when I verify the game files afterwards, the installation gets completed but after the game starts the logo disappears after 1sec and nothing else happens.

But yeah, I've already ordered some new pc parts just to play this game properly, so hopefully the problems don't carry over to my new built.

Dilly

Banned
Well, that's basically as sad as mine, also run C2D, 2Gb Ram, 512Mb ATI 4850 and Win7 64. Making one last effort now with a new installed game and copied steam folder, but I doubt it will help.
I can either get an installation window that stops at 1% and results in error 41 or, when I verify the game files afterwards, the installation gets completed but after the game starts the logo disappears after 1sec and nothing else happens.

But yeah, I've already ordered some new pc parts just to play this game properly, so hopefully the problems don't carry over to my new built.

Do you have more than 3GB of free space on the C drive?

MaxiLive

Some fixes I read about the Error 41 was to do with lack of HDD space on the C drive for the replay data you might need more than 5Gb free on the C drive even if the game is installed in another directory.

As for the other errors I'm not sure if it just isn't loading :( Could be a lack of memory causing it to fall over.

So does the Logitech Driving force gt work properly yet?

From friends I've played with it has been working since Day 1 :)

Friend just poitned me to this video, I sincerly hope for someone to make custom co-driver audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2b0bzUYq8Y

That seems very much like how I drive.. "ahh this is flat, AHHHH DAMMMIT!!"

ruttyboy

Please don't! I'm desperately trying to be patient and wait for the new Nvidia cards!

Do you have more than 3GB of free space on the C drive?

I saw this mentioned before and I have about 75GB free :(

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Bought it even thought my G27 is in transit to another country for when I move. I just wanted to support CM for doing this the right way, nevermind that I have fond memories of their BMX Simulator. ;-)

Guess I should check the minimum specs as althought I have 8gb ram and 3.2ghz cpu I bought my gfx card off Noahs Ark sale, a GTX460.

drotahorror

Which cars are in the early access at the moment?

Would be great to go nuts in a mini classic.

There's a few different classes of cars. A couple mini's are in it, one is from the 60's.

Does anyone else ever here the co-driver's voice get kind of shaky when you're about to wreck? It's like he gets anxious or maybe I'm imagining things.

Bought it even thought my G27 is in transit to another country for when I move. I just wanted to support CM for doing this the right way, nevermind that I have fond memories of their BMX Simulator. ;-)

Guess I should check the minimum specs as althought I have 8gb ram and 3.2ghz cpu I bought my gfx card off Noahs Ark sale, a GTX460.

My aged GTX 260 was able to play dirt 2 and 3 without much of a fuss, this game most likely runs a little worse but you should not have any problem, IMO.

cackhyena

So I'm not crazy. As someone with little Rally knowledge, when the co driver calls were fixed, I was perplexed by the numbers for a bit until I figured out that lower meant harsher turns. I'm just used to bigger numbers meaning bigger difficulty. I eventually assumed it meant gears, but according to that post, that's not really accurate either.

So I'm not crazy. As someone with little Rally knowledge, when the co driver calls were fixed, I was perplexed by the numbers for a bit until I figured out that lower meant harsher turns. I'm just used to bigger numbers meaning bigger difficulty. I eventually assumed it meant gears, but according to that post, that's not really accurate either.

The most basic way of understanding the numbers in turns is to relate that number to which gear you should use, it's not perfect but it helps. *edit* but you said that anyway :p

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
As promised a few pages back here is the link to our blog post on pace notes written by of chief game designer Paul Coleman (who also happens to be a real world co-driver and the one many of you hear in game)

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/blog/4529

The extra effort of recording the notes in the D-Box was definitely worth it! :)

Interestingly, I find it easier to follow the instructions when I have the on-screen notes turned off.

Zeth

From the blog post - so more people see it

DiRT-RALLY-pacenotes.jpg

riflen

As promised a few pages back here is the link to our blog post on pace notes written by of chief game designer Paul Coleman (who also happens to be a real world co-driver and the one many of you hear in game)

Thanks for this.

FYI the site requires TLS 1.0, which is old as balls. Current release builds of Firefox will not open that page by default, so you may get some complaints.
It works in Chrome, but users are warned about out-dated crypto. IE still ships with TLS 1.0 enabled, so most IE users will probably not have a problem.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
That designer blog is fantastic. This part is especially awesome:

After we have written, checked and double checked the notes we set about recording them. In the past we have recorded the calls with an actor in a recording studio but to try and get a better sense of being in the cockpit we have rigged up a Stilo Intercom System in our D-Box room. I wear my crash helmet and sit in the D-Box chair. It’s a motion seat so every bump, dip and crest in the stage is transferred through the seat and into my body. It’s subtle but the faster sections are reflected through the intensity of the calls and things tend to get calmer when the car is going through some of the slower sections.

Deepo

That designer blog is fantastic. This part is especially awesome:

After we have written, checked and double checked the notes we set about recording them. In the past we have recorded the calls with an actor in a recording studio but to try and get a better sense of being in the cockpit we have rigged up a Stilo Intercom System in our D-Box room. I wear my crash helmet and sit in the D-Box chair. It’s a motion seat so every bump, dip and crest in the stage is transferred through the seat and into my body. It’s subtle but the faster sections are reflected through the intensity of the calls and things tend to get calmer when the car is going through some of the slower sections.

I want that seat!

Hi all as promised here are the wheel settings the team use (original post)

While DiRT Rally is yours to tinker with we don’t want to encourage modifying the force feedback effectsetup.xml and devicesetup.xml files as we've noticed some users are.

Modifying the wheel to use parameters defined for the controller (pad) or replacing incompatible previous game FFB files are likely to compromise your experience of the game. It’s not how the game is made to be played and we can’t offer any support for the consequences of modifying this data and how it will affect the game.

We are totally open to feedback and if you feel that the FFB is not behaving how you would like you need to talk to us about it, together we can make DiRT Rally better for everyone.

For now the team has collated their recommended steering wheel settings for the officially supported wheels, Try these out and let us know what you think below, we're happy to work with you all on getting this right but we would advise against the modification to the xml files we've seen floating around the web.

All Wheels - Recommend using 200 – 540 degree (however 270-400 is the sweet spot)

Vibration & Feedback Settings (Recommended)

kAQAsan.png

Advanced Wheel Settings (Recommended)

llvHBd8.png

Logitech G25 & G27

Logitech Profiler Version 5.10.127

Logitech Driver Version 5.10.127

Logitech Profiler Settings

Options -> Global Device Settings

ZmZUtp5.png

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Logitech G25/G27 -> Properties -> Logitech G25/G27 Racing Wheel Properties -> Settings

3avE5Ko.png

Fanatec Clubsport Base v1 & v2

Driver Version : 205 (BETA)

Firmware version: 53

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers

Note: Connect the Fanatec Pedals via USB

Y8SEyy4.png

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> ClubSport Wheel -> Properties -> Settings

Dj5S2ja.png

Fanatec Clubsport Base Device Tuning Menu

SEN (Sensitivity): SEN default: OFF

FF (Force Feedback): FF default: 100

SHO (Shock): SHO default: 100

ABS default: OFF

LIN (Linearity): LIN default: OFF

DEA (Deadzone): DEA default: OFF

DRI (Drift mode): DRI default: OFF

FOR (force): FOR default: 100

SPR (spring): SPR default: 100

DPR (damper): DPR default: 100

We recommend this official Fanatec Clubsport Wheel setup video:

https://youtu.be/cMP-CDJVock

Thrustmaster T500 RS/F1 Racing Wheel

Firmware: 43

Driver: 2.8.16.0

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Thrustmaster T500 Racing Wheel -> Properties

Thrustmaster T500 RS Control Panel -> Test Input Tab

lCp22hT.png

Thrustmaster T500 RS Control Panel -> Gain Settings Tab

yB2ryjs.png

Set the wheel’s ‘Pedal Set Position’ mode (LED red/green) depending on your pedal orientation.

Hope that helps you guys out - Please let us know what you think.

Thank you! I am re-quoting this for the new page. Very helpful.

The menus have the buttons of my G27 to navigate. I would like to use my Keyboard instead since I don't know what button 17 or 9 is.

digi

Neo Member
Hi
Test Monte Carlo with the Audi Quattro Group B, recorded with the GoPro and three screens.

greeting

Dilly

Banned
My only complaint right now is the FFB really. There is no way of telling what the rear is doing when using the E-brake in hairpins for example.

(Random chosen post)

Please watch:

While I really tip my hat to you guys at Codies for taking this direction for a rally game, I implore you to invest in proper controls/ffb for your games. You guys almost exclusively make racing games, and have done so for nearly 30 years. That's what you do, but somehow you guys continue to roll out an industry worst wheel support/ffb year after year.

An investment in the basic fundamentals of playing your games would have a dramatic positive impact on your products. There's no way for me to emphasize this enough.

Dirt Rally has a ton of potential, but it's almost entirely undermined by some of the worst ffb I've ever felt. This is being talked about as a sim-like experience, as well the upcoming F1 game, but without serious improvement in controls, they'll never be looked on as such. I understand this is an unfinished product, but the whole system needs a complete rewrite if you hope to make any hay with driving game enthusiasts.

I just hope that one day you'll bite the bullet finally do what needs to be done.

I agree with Big Takeover and Betta Lines but couldn't describe why FF felt strange. That said, I am extremely happy and man, the sounds and the look.

What button do you guys use for e-brake (g27)?

bathsalts

I agree with Big Takeover and Betta Lines but couldn't describe why FF felt strange. That said, I am extremely happy and man, the sounds and the look.

What button do you guys use for e-brake (g27)?

The paddle shifter, may try and hook up my flight stick and put it on pulling the axis back lol.

Top Bottom