• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

I can't recall that happening to me. Glitch?

I took some pics, happens when its sunset.

MSOIUjU.jpg

RKXtuMz.jpg

f3q1eVb.jpg

I've never seen dirt with specular reflections before.

Helznicht

Yeah, I know getting worked up isn't going to help me, it's just that even if I made the wrong impression, I came here wanting to share my experience and my enjoyment of this game and I only got mocked.

Hope you don't take it hard, this board can be rough, as I would like to see more opinions from the sim racing crowd as I am just starting to get into them. I have had very limited experience in this area (Lots of Forza, but only a little on RFactor Demo and this great rally game). I have Project Cars on preorder, so any input on PC NOT being a sim I am interested in.

With my limited time on RFactor, I have a thought. The on-track driving feels pretty good. I really started feeling the car after a few laps. But when I put one of my wheels in the grass or hit rumble strips to hard, its like my car just hit a patch of ice. i mean one time I literally slid all the way across the roadway pavement sideways at ~50mph grass to grass. That is no where near enough speed to overcome the friction of 4 racing tires on pavement. Even at over 100mph you can see nascars starting to correct themselves due to the car wanting to align with the tires as soon as it hit the pavement when coming out of the grass. So to me, that is not simulated.

I have an idea why that is though, it promotes very careful driving habits, which makes online races feel more realistic. In other words, there is no chance of injury or financial loss in a video game. So you would see alot more aggressive driving online (vs reality) if the penalty for doing it was realistic (less devastating). I don't know if I agree with that, I feel there are other ways to keep that from happening (create online leagues with repair costs, missed races for injury or totally out for death). What are your thoughts?

plidex

I loved Dirt 1, liked Dirt 2 a lot, and I only liked certain parts of Dirt 3 but overall I really didn't care for the game, it's by far my least played Dirt game. I've only spent about half an hour with Dirt Rally so I haven't formed an educated opinion yet, but my first impressions of it are excellent.

I like both arcade racers and sim racers, as long as a racing game is well done I can find fun in it. I would say I prefer the sim focused racers more but I don't need them to be hardcore sim racers, just challenging, engaging, and fun to drive. Presentation goes a long way too, I liked the racing in Dirt 2 but the menus and dudebro stuff wore thin on me fast. Dirt Rally's clean and simple interface is better IMHO, much easier and faster to get into the racing parts!

I never played Dirt 1 because at the time I had a shitty PC. I can't remember how much I played Dirt 2 but I liked it, especially racing online with a group of gamers from my country.

Hope you don't take it hard, this board can be rough, as I would like to see more opinions from the sim racing crowd as I am just starting to get into them. I have had very limited experience in this area (Lots of Forza, but only a little on RFactor Demo and this great rally game). I have Project Cars on preorder, so any input on PC NOT being a sim I am interested in.

With my limited time on RFactor, I have a thought. The on-track driving feels pretty good. I really started feeling the car after a few laps. But when I put one of my wheels in the grass or hit rumble strips to hard, its like my car just hit a patch of ice. i mean one time I literally slid all the way across the roadway pavement sideways at ~50mph grass to grass. That is no where near enough speed to overcome the friction of 4 racing tires on pavement. Even at over 100mph you can see nascars starting to correct themselves due to the car wanting to align with the tires as soon as it hit the pavement when coming out of the grass. So to me, that is not simulated.

I have an idea why that is though, it promotes very careful driving habits, which makes online races feel more realistic. In other words, there is no chance of injury or financial loss in a video game. So you would see alot more aggressive driving online (vs reality) if the penalty for doing it was realistic (less devastating). I don't know if I agree with that, I feel there are other ways to keep that from happening (create online leagues with repair costs, missed races for injury or totally out for death). What are your thoughts?

This discussion would be better placed in the simracing thread, but just as a quick reply, I think that had more to do with the limitations of rFactor's physics, which were good when it launched almost 10 years ago but we have come a long way, even Stock Car Extreme (AKA Game Stock Car Extreme) using the same engine as rFactor 1 (gMotor2) has managed to achieve some top notch physics.

iRacing has come closest to fix the crash fests of online racing, it has a license system which punishes you for getting into incidents (going offtrack, losing control, crashing), so it has promoted cleaner racing. Nowadays this is a very debated topic in iRacing because the driving standards have gotten really bad, but it's still the best chance at getting clean and competitive online races.

PS: Sadly I've never played a Forza game, I'm on the Gran Turismo crowd because I can't justify purchasing both consoles.

I spoke to Codemasters via Skype today, Lee conducted the chat, Paul was listening in, and the three physics guys had a bunch of questions for me. A shaky connection meant that the video chat didn't last long before we had to switch to audio, which probably made it even more difficult to explain myself!

The matter of self-aligning torque was discussed, and there was a suggestion that this 'inverted' feeling was at least partly down to the fact that the feedback is optimised for short rotations, making it reach the other side of the output curve too soon, or something along those lines. I discussed how the majority of PC sims do wheel calibration, turning through the full range and then doing the 90 degree left/right so that there is a 1:1 relationship between your wheel's rotation and the sim, and it sounded like they were keen to add something like that to the menus. We also discussed how this countersteering sensation would change depending on the surface type, but that is something very hard to explain over the phone!

In any case they are aware of the problem, and they've invited me to the studio to give more hands-on feedback once they made some changes. I'm not sure when that'll be, but I'll gladly accept.

I'm very pleased to see Codies being so open about this project - as others have said, it's Early Access done right. :)

Megasoum

Banned
I spoke to Codemasters via Skype today, Lee conducted the chat, Paul was listening in, and the three physics guys had a bunch of questions for me. A shaky connection meant that the video chat didn't last long before we had to switch to audio, which probably made it even more difficult to explain myself!

The matter of self-aligning torque was discussed, and there was a suggestion that this 'inverted' feeling was at least partly down to the fact that the feedback is optimised for short rotations, making it reach the other side of the output curve too soon, or something along those lines. I discussed how the majority of PC sims do wheel calibration, turning through the full range and then doing the 90 degree left/right so that there is a 1:1 relationship between your wheel's rotation and the sim, and it sounded like they were keen to add something like that to the menus. We also discussed how this countersteering sensation would change depending on the surface type, but that is something very hard to explain over the phone!

In any case they are aware of the problem, and they've invited me to the studio to give more hands-on feedback once they made some changes. I'm not sure when that'll be, but I'll gladly accept.

I'm very pleased to see Codies being so open about this project - as others have said, it's Early Access done right. :)

That's awesome!

:O :D

That's fantastic! I'm incredibly impressed with their willingness to chat, and not just with the PR guys. It's sounds like it was a productive little talk too.

There's a lot of complexity that goes into tying the ffb to the physics, and wrapping that in a control scheme that gives wheel users what they need. They'll need all the help they can get! It's great to hear they're actively seeking it though.

Thats great Betta Lines. I couldn't explain it on a more granular level like you but the ff felt off especially when correcting for oversteering in turns.

Dilly

Banned
Yeah, I know getting worked up isn't going to help me, it's just that even if I made the wrong impression, I came here wanting to share my experience and my enjoyment of this game and I only got mocked.

Look, the only reason why I mocked you in the first place is that it really felt like you had to include a jab to certain people who like a certain game for no apparent reason at all.

I love simracing and motorsports, I've played every racesim released in the last 10 years for countless hours. In my opinion, pCARS isn't a lesser sim that the ones you mentioned, yet for some reason you made it seem like every simracer who thinks pCARS is a sim, is an idiot.

So, next time keep that to yourself if you don't want to get mocked.

Good stuff, you were completely right in your video. They just have to implement a system that is optimised for wheel rotation up to 900° if they want to compete with the semisim/sim market. I turned FFB off for the moment, and the car really behaves like you expect it to, it just needs the FFB to make it really shine.

Tried to start a league just to test out that part of the game but the website would never accept the events I would setup...don't know if it's a glitch or just something I wasn't doing right

I'm surprised no one has started anything yet as far as a GAF league...I thought that would have been made Day 1

Dave_6

Very, very cool! Glad they're listening and congrats on being invited to give them your feedback in person!

epmode

Tried to start a league just to test out that part of the game but the website would never accept the events I would setup...don't know if it's a glitch or just something I wasn't doing right

I'm surprised no one has started anything yet as far as a GAF league...I thought that would have been made Day 1

I have't been able to create one of those accounts in several days due to server-side errors. I assume the issues are corrected by now.

Not that I'd create a league myself, just explaining why it may not already exist.

_machine

-SNIP-
That's awesome to hear!

I've always liked Codemasters games from the original Colin Mcrae to GRID2 and Dirt 3 (haven't had time for Autosport yet), though the theme and design of the games have been certainly controversial. It's great to see that they've gone a different route this time and brought a propery rally game after such a long time for the genre (speaking of the "simulation" niche ) and I love that they have gone with such an open way and it really feels like Early Access is a good fit for them. I hope that everything goes smoothly with the development and I certainly look forward to trying out the game.

Hakkelus

That's great! I really hope they understand what the problems are and they are able to fix them. Basically it's just like you said, they should just "copy" these things from the leading driving sims.

Finally got a podium finish for the Open Championship by pure luck. I had three 4th place finishes but the people who got 3rd place in other events kept having issues. Honestly right now I'm struggling to even try to get a top three finish in a stage even with getting the upgrades for the cars. I'm playing with a controller and a lot of the time I'll be going dead straight and the car will just veer left or right out of nowhere. 'm constantly having to correct that so I can't really try and keep a good speed or else I'll just wreck.

Considering I can't even keep up with the Open times and that's the easiest skill level I don't see myself being able to really compete at any other level.

I hope everyone else at Codies also has seen this thread and the various other bits of feedback on the game. They've absolutely nailed the design of this game and it's fantastic, but I want them to be 100% aware of this fact and keep future titles this way.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Finally got a podium finish for the Open Championship by pure luck. I had three 4th place finishes but the people who got 3rd place in other events kept having issues. Honestly right now I'm struggling to even try to get a top three finish in a stage even with getting the upgrades for the cars. I'm playing with a controller and a lot of the time I'll be going dead straight and the car will just veer left or right out of nowhere. 'm constantly having to correct that so I can't really try and keep a good speed or else I'll just wreck.

Considering I can't even keep up with the Open times and that's the easiest skill level I don't see myself being able to really compete at any other level.

I definitely recommend turning stick sensitivity down to 20%. There are deadzone drift issues on the 360 pad, and I was noticing them at 50%.

Also, it is in general waaay too sensitive at 50%.

I definitely recommend turning stick sensitivity down to 20%. There are deadzone drift issues on the 360 pad, and I was noticing them at 50%.

Ok, I'll try that later to see how it goes. Do I need to adjust the linearity setting at all or do I leave it alone?

justbiglee

Neo Member
I hope everyone else at Codies also has seen this thread and the various other bits of feedback on the game. They've absolutely nailed the design of this game and it's fantastic, but I want them to be 100% aware of this fact and keep future titles this way.

Believe me, everybody reads the GAF thread and they love how much you all like the game. :)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Has there been any consensus on best general controller settings for sensitivity/linearity etc?

Makikou

I really wish the game had more unique stages. I understand a longer stage around 9 minutes takes TONS of hours of work, but currently it's:

1 long stage
parts chopped off the long stage and made their own stages
reverse versions.

That is really the biggest complaint i have along with the FFB issues and somewhat situationally weird physics. Also the damage model could/should be a bit less forgiving.

Megasoum

Banned
Believe me, everybody reads the GAF thread and they love how much you all like the game. :)

You guys have been doing a great job over the last week.

Reminds me of the great work Ben was doing in the months leading up to Grid A being released. Had a lot of great convos with him here on gaf and via emails about the game.

justbiglee

Neo Member
I really wish the game had more unique stages. I understand a longer stage around 9 minutes takes TONS of hours of work, but currently it's:

1 long stage
parts chopped off the long stage and made their own stages
reverse versions.

That is really the biggest complaint i have along with the FFB issues and somewhat situationally weird physics. Also the damage model could/should be a bit less forgiving.

We've got loads more on the way, Germany, Finland, Sweden not including Pikes Peak and the Rallycross stuff. Obviously the whole game is built around you so if people start to ask us for more Wales Stages then it's something we can look into doing, just depends what people want really.

We've got loads more on the way, Germany, Finland, Sweden not including Pikes Peak and the Rallycross stuff. Obviously the whole game is built around you so if people start to ask us for more Wales Stages then it's something we can look into doing, just depends what people want really.

I'd definitely like more Wales tracks. They look beautiful in the gloomy overcast look so more variety would be amazing.

As for rallycross, will we be seeing popular British tracks like Lydden Hill? (Or Laydon Hall if you guys can't licence it of course)

I think you may have let the cat out of the bag on Sweden...the timeline only mentioned "Winter Wonderland" but never listed Sweden as the location

hd 5830
phenom ii x2 black
4gb ram

can i play?

Probably 1080p30 with high settings, 1080p60 with med/low. I can run it playably on a laptop with an integrated AMD GPU so anything dedicated will automatically be an improvement, you should be fine but don't expect to max it out.

saladine1

Haven't stopped playing since day 1. There's something about this game that just feels right, like i'm actually seated in the car..seated in the setting itself. I don't know, it's hard to explain lol.

Again, the audio is just sublime and i'm not just talking about the engine/exhaust samples. Everything from the cockpit mix, muted interiors, cockpit resonance, trans effects, spool and bov's, dirt/gravel pickup, tyre squeal, reverb..etc are just amazing.

Lee, I asked before but didn't get an answer..who is responsible for the audio in Dirt Rally and is this the final code?

DJ_Lae

West coast of Canada stuff would be neat too. Love that it has a presence in Drive Club and I think one of the hillclimb locations in Rallisport Challenge 2 was essentially Whistler.

Haven't stopped playing since day 1. There's something about this game that just feels right, like i'm actually seated in the car..seated in the setting itself. I don't know, it's hard to explain lol.

Again, the audio is just sublime and i'm not just talking about the engine/exhaust samples. Everything from the cockpit mix, muted interiors, cockpit resonance, trans effects, spool and bov's, dirt/gravel pickup, tyre squeal, reverb..etc are just amazing.

Lee, I asked before but didn't get an answer..who is responsible for the audio in Dirt Rally and is this the final code?
It appears to be Dave Sullivan - https://twitter.com/sound_fx (although perhaps there are other audio guys too). There was a discussion just now on twitter about the co-driver audio being too quiet... I assured him that it's not, but perhaps it's different for certain systems. You should let him know too! The mix is great, I agree :)

ruttyboy

Hey Lee, any word on the Error 41? Reading everyone else raving about the game but not being able to play it is driving me mad!

Also, I don't live that far from you guys so if you want me to pop over and help play test it, you only have to ask ;-)

saladine1

It appears to be Dave Sullivan - https://twitter.com/sound_fx (although perhaps there are other audio guys too). There was a discussion just now on twitter about the co-driver audio being too quiet... I assured him that it's not, but perhaps it's different for certain systems. You should let him know too! The mix is great, I agree :)

Thanks.
Dave, you are my new hero!
Along with Nick Wiswell, Greg Hill and Anthony Moteil lol

With regards to co pilot sound being too low, it's funny, because up until yesterday, the volume was perfect, very audible, however, today the volume is now very,very low. Don't know what happened and I haven't changed any volume settings. Hope they find a fix for this...

justbiglee

Neo Member

Sorry I missed it, as somebody pointed out Dave is one of the guys, Chris Jojo is another but he isn't on twitter. We're also really grateful to the UK Rally scene, people like Steve Perez who let us record and digitally preserve their awesome machines. We've still not got a full set though, some of the audio isn't exact and we're trying to track down the cars we need still.

I think you may have let the cat out of the bag on Sweden...the timeline only mentioned "Winter Wonderland" but never listed Sweden as the location

Bollocks. Don't tell anybody at work.

Hey Lee, any word on the Error 41? Reading everyone else raving about the game but not being able to play it is driving me mad!

Also, I don't live that far from you guys so if you want me to pop over and help play test it, you only have to ask ;-)

Take a read of this, we have a potential fix in a beta branch but it isn't working for everybody.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/1/613956964588533522/

justbiglee...is there any way that the guys at the studio could put up some sneak peek clips of upcoming additions or game updates so we can get a glimpse of what's to come during the next few weeks and months?

justbiglee

Neo Member
justbiglee...is there any way that the guys at the studio could put up some sneak peek clips of upcoming additions or game updates so we can get a glimpse of what's to come during the next few weeks and months?

Yeah for sure, I think I tweeted a sneak "peak" of something from the dirtgame twitter account earlier if that is the kind of thing you mean.

EDIT : Got beaten to it by Sini

Just curious, how does Early Access work? I haven't really paid much attention to it til this game got announced. Do I pay the $24.99 and then it just gets updates til the game is finished? Or do I have to re-purchase once it's released?

Megasoum

Banned
Just curious, how does Early Access work? I haven't really paid much attention to it til this game got announced. Do I pay the $24.99 and then it just gets updates til the game is finished? Or do I have to re-purchase once it's released?

Nope, you pay once and you get all the updates and the full game once it's released. If they decide to release paid DLC after the official 1.0 release then you'll have to pay but that's it.

Top Bottom