• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

Makikou

First thoughts on patch:

037 is hard to drive, maybe a lacks a little bit of the supercharger sound inside the car.
Kitcars are fu****ng amazing. Super fast, small.
Kadett sounds awesome.

Stages have an awesome feeling to them. Really feels like a true german rally.

Afro

70's Opel sounds so grimy. Yes.

Such a beautiful location (fave so far, hands down). Especially the lush forest sections with those tight, winding uphill trails.

Really wasn't into that soft (blurry) sunset filter at Pikes at all btw. Ruined the crisp aesthetic. Hope they remove that (edit: seems they removed the filter).

GERMANY!

19082047959_9e68f6253tgrhe.jpg

Dilly

Banned
Any mods to make the cockpit cam a bit better?

Would be great if we could adjust our seat and FOV ingame like in other sims.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Wow, the new Lancia 037 is a rabid beast, it's almost too powerful to control! I had to drive rather conservatively on the daily challenge with it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This is not a game where you see a new track and just jump back in for a little after you took a long break. Wow, just got my ass handed to me.

I also changed from 360 controller to Xbox One and the stick might be a little too loose for me. Anyone else using it?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What is with the Tarmac cars and spinning out really easily for me?!

What is with the Tarmac cars and spinning out really easily for me?!
Dry tarmac provides a lot of grip, but when you push over the edge and the grip lets go, the transition from grip to slip is fast, so it requires very quick reactions. If you've been driving a loose surface stage for a while, where you're constantly in a state of low but progressive grip (much easier to save), tarmac can be quite a surprise.

TheSeks

Dry tarmac provides a lot of grip, but when you push over the edge and the grip lets go, the transition from grip to slip is fast, so it requires very quick reactions. If you've been driving a loose surface stage for a while, where you're constantly in a state of low but progressive grip (much easier to save), tarmac can be quite a surprise.

I don't think it's that. Even just turning in second gear will have the car slip. Braking hard won't let me brake in time to where I basically a bull in a china shop on the daily event from the new update. Even Pike's Peak had this weird "not in control" feeling compared to the Rally/initial stages.

I don't think it's that. Even just turning in second gear will have the car slip. Braking hard won't let me brake in time to where I basically a bull in a china shop on the daily event from the new update. Even Pike's Peak had this weird "not in control" feeling compared to the Rally/initial stages.
Tyre slip in 2nd gear under acceleration while turning, or braking while turning? Either way, that sounds normal - doing either while turning is going to upset the balance of the car and cause slip.

The hillclimb cars are weird compared to the normal rally cars. It's possible that you don't realise how fast you're going. They are insanely accelerative. :)

Mengy

I'm really liking the Germany stages. Very fun to drive and awesome scenery, they just might be my favorite stages in the game. Lots of people standing around the courses too, makes for some great atmosphere.

TheSeks

Tyre slip in 2nd gear under acceleration while turning, or braking while turning?)

Both. Braking I'm either too short on these new stages (understandable, I'm not used to their shortness) or not turning "fast" enough through the corner at 45-50MPH. Which is weird. Even #3 turns aren't turning fully for me.

Pike's Peak I can go into the first turn and throw the car completely off the track. Maybe you're right in that I don't realize how fast I'm going (since the Cockpit doesn't have a Speedo option stupid really) but I dunno, I can go through some corners and then suddenly just have a complete mess of no grip on others.

Both. Braking I'm either too short on these new stages (understandable, I'm not used to their shortness) or not turning "fast" enough through the corner at 45-50MPH. Which is weird. Even #3 turns aren't turning fully for me.

Pike's Peak I can go into the first turn and throw the car completely off the track. Maybe you're right in that I don't realize how fast I'm going (since the Cockpit doesn't have a Speedo option stupid really) but I dunno, I can go through some corners and then suddenly just have a complete mess of no grip on others.
Then I'll ask the same question I posed to Item Box - are you using higher wheel rotation settings compared to before the FFB update? Because that could be part of the problem, adjusting to the sensitivity.

DD

I think it's a combination of very strong front brakes, weight distribution, and lift-off oversteer. Try slowing down without turning, so slow down earlier. Also, try putting the brakes on more gradually than you would on a R/AWD car.
Yeah, I was trying to do that, but some times the co-driver calls comes too late. :p

Man...I tried this with my DK2 for the first time last night...holy shit what a terrifying ride. I love that it's also cool in third person as well.

TheSeks

Then I'll ask the same question I posed to Item Box - are you using higher wheel rotation settings compared to before the FFB update? Because that could be part of the problem, adjusting to the sensitivity.

I'm not using a wheel. I'm using a PS3 controller through Xinput Wrapper (so the PC thinks it's a 360 controller). No messing about with the controller settings, no messing about with car settings. Default stock/etc. The only thing I've messed with is turning assists off and being in cockpit view 24/7.

I'm not using a wheel. I'm using a PS3 controller through Xinput Wrapper (so the PC thinks it's a 360 controller). No messing about with the controller settings, no messing about with car settings. Default stock/etc. The only thing I've messed with is turning assists off and being in cockpit view 24/7.
Ah. It's tough to drive sims with gamepads, unless they have hidden assists/filters. I guess DR doesn't, or has gone very light on gamepad assist.

astonish

So this game has taught me I know squat about racing and I'm slowly learning the ropes and improving pretty rapidly. Part of the change was learning about the weight distribution and physics on the loose ground and how that translates to my holding the throttle down more and using the break to control the slide.

Should I go back to more "traditional" racing techniques on the tarmac parts now? Like worry more about having the car face the racing line directly and control accelerating out of the apex, or should I still be having my car go into a controlled slide?

astonish

Man...I tried this with my DK2 for the first time last night...holy shit what a terrifying ride. I love that it's also cool in third person as well.

I really need to try this again now that I have an updated gfx card. I remember it was a strange trade-off. I had to down the detail to keep the framerate up, but at the low detail the billboard trees just didn't work at all with VR.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I really need to try this again now that I have an updated gfx card. I remember it was a strange trade-off. I had to down the detail to keep the framerate up, but at the low detail the billboard trees just didn't work at all with VR.

I tried it with my DK2 on my new 970 last night.

I had to push detail down to the absolute lowest or I would get head movement judder. It looked absolutely awful. It seemed to perform the exact same as it did with my old 660.

On the other hand, I can play Elite on the thing with everything on high and it's smooth as butter. Massive improvement over the 660.

I really hope they get around to optimizing the Rift experience in this game.

Chase cam VR is amazing. Car looks super solid!

Yes! I tried that front bumper view and it's freaking scary haha.

I tried it with my DK2 on my new 970 last night.

I had to push detail down to the absolute lowest or I would get head movement judder. It looked absolutely awful. It seemed to perform the exact same as it did with my old 660.

On the other hand, I can play Elite on the thing with everything on high and it's smooth as butter. Massive improvement over the 660.

I really hope they get around to optimizing the Rift experience in this game.

I've heard good things about the new runtime 0.6 + the new Dirt Rally update.

Apparently it can be launched in direct mode now and all the judder is reduced now that timewarp is enabled. I have to try it tonight.

Oh man, I hope they will support the upcoming VR hardware too (as I don't have a DK).

I hope so as well! I hope it won't be too much a bother to incorporate them.

So this game has taught me I know squat about racing and I'm slowly learning the ropes and improving pretty rapidly. Part of the change was learning about the weight distribution and physics on the loose ground and how that translates to my holding the throttle down more and using the break to control the slide.

Should I go back to more "traditional" racing techniques on the tarmac parts now? Like worry more about having the car face the racing line directly and control accelerating out of the apex, or should I still be having my car go into a controlled slide?
It's possible that a tight series of tarmac corners can be negotiated just as quickly going sideways as keeping it tidy, but only when the many contributing factors come together, e.g. type of vehicle, setup, driving style, surface conditions. As a general rule for fast driving on tarmac, you want to avoid sliding as much as possible, only doing so if it helps to make the car rotate rapidly around the '1-3' turns and hairpins. But using weight transfer to your advantage is just as (if not more) important on tarmac, even when you're not sliding dramatically.

paskowitz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30dxrwd0Kss

It would be awesome if they could implement some commentary like this. Maybe a "forgetful" co-driver or one who comments on the track marshals around the track.

Lol, "Where are we going again?" What would be really awesome is some type of online co-op mode where another player has to actually read the pacenotes (in the game). His gameplay would be looking up at the road and then down at the pacenotes, dictating the pacenotes through voice chat. I'm sure most codrivers would suck, but it would make for some very amusing moments.

Mengy

Custom community notes would be rad.

It would be a great steam workshop item, that's for damn sure. Just think of it, we'd get Darth Vader pace notes, Shia Lebouff pace notes, why even David Letterman pace notes! Yeah, I'm certain the community would create all manner of interesting and entertaining pace note mods if it was possible.

Modding in general can create quite a buzz for a game too, just look at what it does for Skyrim and Cities Skylines. In a game like DiRT Rally you don't want modding to get too crazy or it breaks the online competition, but benign stuff like the pace notes or even liveries could be a very fun aspect to play around with.

TheSeks

Today's daily was pretty fun. Either due to the rain affecting traction, or the Mini just being wayyyy less powerful than the cars they used for that track last time.

Though the haybales being in the middle of the road to weave past was a bit "WTF."

I still think the Pike's Peak and Tarmac Terror update cars are still too twitchy/hard to control.

Rallycross Sneak Peek.
Just in case you haven't already heard, ‪#‎WorldRX‬ has joined forces with DiRT Rally, and here's an EXCLUSIVE first look at the upcoming ‪#‎Rallycross‬ update!
Look out for more pics+info throughout the weekend!
pYJMv50h.jpg

lZhRfSWh.jpg

23m4WHoh.jpg

Mengy

Would love the ability to toggle headlights at dusk/dawn.

Yeah I want this too, how I long for a simple "L" button to turn the lights on and off!

Oh, and this is how I ended a championship run today, just a few seconds from the finish line:

That's a Subaru Impreza by the way, lol.

Yeah I want this too, how I long for a simple "L" button to turn the lights on and off!

Oh, and this is how I ended a championship run today, just a few seconds from the finish line:

That's a Subaru Impreza by the way, lol.

That WAS a Subaru Impreza. Nice job!

Top Bottom