• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

epmode

Man, the Rift support is pretty awful. I simply can't get my DK2 to run at 75hz no matter how I set it. So even though I can get a great framerate at max details and 1440p, the game runs at what appears to be 30 FPS in the Rift. Or it's just a lot of judder.

Here's hoping retail VR brings games that actually work without hours of tweaking.

astonish

Making a game work for VR isn't a trivial task, there are lots of great optimizations to be had, but you have to invest in doing them. I bet will get it, but just later down the road when the consumer versions arrive.

Makikou

Having licensed FIA World RX is pretty cool :D, even though i prefer having the original rally stuff, it's so cool to have proper Rallycross too.

So after so much time struggling in the game I finally found my pace with my 70's Stratos! I think I'm about to get first place in the clumban champtionship... just like when I got first place and finally found my pace with the Fulvia! :'D

I think im movin on up boys! What class/car should i go to next with my limited money, until I get to the Masters where I'll be all set money-wise?

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Code:
1	bindleford	25
2	BillBx [DPT]	18
3	PhilResch	15
4	scrcrw	        12
5	Best Scarra NA	10
6	mclaren777	8
7	kazinova	6
8	[GFC] Baker	4
9	kram49          2
10	Stupid Sexy Flanders	1

NeoGAF League Season 10(?) starts in 15 minutes.

Two events, five stages. No restarts, no second attempts.

Could luck and don't cut.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
lol I went off the road like 4 times in a row on the rainy wales stage

I think the trees have magnets in them

Ark

I tried Pikes Peak for the first time today and oh my god are those hill climb cars impossible to control. The actual track is gorgeous though.

Did a couple of stages at Germany too and I'm really, really, really liking the tarmac update and the Opel 1970's car. That coupled with the new FFB (that I still need to tweak some more) and the game is basically almost perfect for me. And yeah, Germany is gorgeous too.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I tried Pikes Peak for the first time today and oh my god are those hill climb cars impossible to control. The actual track is gorgeous though.

Did a couple of stages at Germany too and I'm really, really, really liking the tarmac update and the Opel 1970's car. That coupled with the new FFB (that I still need to tweak some more) and the game is basically almost perfect for me. And yeah, Germany is gorgeous too.

The 405 is definitely the "easiest" of the 3 hill climbers to drive. It's a steep learning curve though because, unless you're familiar with the route, it's a new track + car to learn at the same time.

MJLord

The 405 is definitely the "easiest" of the 3 hill climbers to drive. It's a steep learning curve though because, unless you're familiar with the route, it's a new track + car to learn at the same time.

Those Hairpins. I got a nice slide going but I couldn't comment on the effectiveness of them xD

This game could really do with some sort of driving school and training area imo.

AerialAir

Banned

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Any news on when the price is going to be going up? I plan on picking it up next week!

You've got some time but I'd get it as soon as possible if I were you, there will be an update sometime this month and probably a price increase along with it again.

This game was so worth every penny. It's quickly become my favorite racer, and it's nowhere near done nor complete yet.

kevin1025

Banned
I don't think so but I imagine it'll stay the current price until the next huge content patch.

You've got some time but I'd get it as soon as possible if I were you, there will be an update sometime this month and probably a price increase along with it again.

This game was so worth every penny. It's quickly become my favorite racer, and it's nowhere near done nor complete yet.

Thanks! I'm definitely picking it up next week, I've been looking forward to playing it for a while now. The amount of content already in the game is super impressive.

Shaneus

Any news on when the price is going to be going up? I plan on picking it up next week!
dr-prices.jpg
This was posted a week or two ago. I doubt there'd be any other price increases other than those ones.

Man, I'd just kill for OG Sega Rally notes. They'd be the simplest to implement, too.
I'm still standing by this statement, too. If it's easy enough to unpack the audio for this game, I'd even give it a crack myself.

paskowitz

Man, the Rift support is pretty awful. I simply can't get my DK2 to run at 75hz no matter how I set it. So even though I can get a great framerate at max details and 1440p, the game runs at what appears to be 30 FPS in the Rift. Or it's just a lot of judder.

Here's hoping retail VR brings games that actually work without hours of tweaking.

What is your GPU? While Oculus says a GTX 970 is the recommended spec for VR... it is really the minimum if you want to play anything graphically intensive (and not built for VR from day 1).

For reference, and I can hardly believe it myself, an EVGA GTX 980 ti Hybrid at 1475Mhz has frame rate drops in DiRT Rally at max settings on a DK2. With that said, I think a lot of this is a lack of optimization for VR.

Shaneus

Could any of it be due to post-processing? Even though I have much older hardware than most of you, I found a massive boost in performance when turning post-processing (I think that was the option) down to very low. Removed all the ugly blurriness and smudgyness and ran WAY better than initially.

Fractal

Banned
Does this game feature some kind of an easy mode where you can just pretty much just drive and enjoy the scenery, like in the other Codemasters games?

Not a big fan of racing games but I like to play some occasionally, just to drive around and relax while keeping the challenge to a minimum.

paskowitz

Could any of it be due to post-processing? Even though I have much older hardware than most of you, I found a massive boost in performance when turning post-processing (I think that was the option) down to very low. Removed all the ugly blurriness and smudgyness and ran WAY better than initially.

It has a big effect in AC so I would not be surprised.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
It pains me that I haven't played this game since returning my wheel. I'll be getting another one, but I still have too much indecision (especially with a new Logitech wheel coming). I can't go back to controller.

Mengy

Does this game feature some kind of an easy mode where you can just pretty much just drive and enjoy the scenery, like in the other Codemasters games?

Not a big fan of racing games but I like to play some occasionally, just to drive around and relax while keeping the challenge to a minimum.

Well, you start out at a low skill grouping (clubman?) and gradually work your way up to higher brackets by winning. However, even at the easier starting bracket DiRT Rally is a tough game, much more demanding (and rewarding) than any previous DiRT games. When people call it the Dark Souls of racing games, it's deserved.

If you just want to casually drive around and enjoy the scenery you can always just drive real slowly and lose! I've made many custom races (practice) where I just pretty much went sightseeing and really didn't even try to win anything, the game is really beautiful to look at and has great scenery. I honestly have a blast just running practice stages and driving like a maniac sometimes. Surprisingly, every now and then I even place better that way....o_O

Woodchipper

Man, oh man. If/when this arrives on console I'll feel like a boy on Christmas morning. The looks, the sounds, physics, the Group B cars, Pikes Peak... too awesome!!!

Watevaman

Yeah, the whole point of this game was to take it back to proper rally, and away from what Dirt 2 and 3 turned into.

Rallycross isn't gonna change the rally courses, its just giving more content for the end product. We don't have enough offroad in other sims, so more of the discipline as a whole isn't a bad thing.

bindleford

Neo Member
Rallycross isn't gonna change the rally courses, its just giving more content for the end product. We don't have enough offroad in other sims, so more of the discipline as a whole isn't a bad thing.

Codemasters clearly operate on a very tight budget, though. More rallycross courses surely means less rally stages. I would have preferred a 100% focus on rally. There's only so many times I can run the same stages over and over. Finland and Sweden seem to be on the development timeline but with essentially only two (four including reverse) full stages per location, that is an area that I feel will be lacking in the full game.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
The AI is fixed for everyone right? Because they are fucking gods of driving. The #1 is always a good 13+ secs when sometimes i had (what i think) godly runs.

I cant manage for the life of me to finish anything better than 4th+ (total) in clubsman. Some races in 2nd when its the german tracks. Monte Carlo absolutely kills me every time. Im mostly focusing on group B, initially went for the 215 but reverted to the Audi because its a lot more predictable how it handles.

When i did Monte Carlo races with the RWD cars, it always ended up in situations like this..

JpHSW.gif

Playing with a 360 controller btw, no assists (maybe thats not helping?)

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Does this game utilize sli pretty well?

I think the SLI profile from Nvidia is not that good right now, it works but scaling is not great.

I have two 970 and a 5930K @ 4.5GHz, I play in 2560*1440 @ 144Hz, and this what I get with everything maxed out with MSAA 4x :
- running on one 970 : around 80-90 FPS and 99% GPU usage
- running on two 970 : around 110-140 FPS with 70-85% GPU usage on both.

I think the SLI profile needs improvements as the game does not seem CPU limited.

Man, oh man. If/when this arrives on console I'll feel like a boy on Christmas morning. The looks, the sounds, physics, the Group B cars, Pikes Peak... too awesome!!!
I hope they'll add enhanced gfx settings to the eventual PS4/XB1 versions, too.
So that we can disable some effects to get 60fps on console.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Quite like the Peugeot 406. Much more stable than the Renault. It would be kinda cool if you could take the normal rally cars up Pikes Peak. And down!

Has anyone else encountered a bug where they can't play fullscreen any more? Whatever I do I can't seem to get it out off windowed mode.

Mengy

Been really on the fence about picking this up and the one thing holding me back is the damage modelling, I heard it is really bad, any truth to this?

Um, it's the best damage modeling of any Rally game I've ever played. Seems pretty damn good IMHO, I'm satisfied with it in any case.

The damage model is very detailed, but currently cars are way too durable.

Hah, to me they sometimes feel too fragile! Maybe I'm just driving too insanely... :)

Robaperas

Came back to the game after a month, tried a rainy Germany stage on the 306, and wow... I'm sliding all over the place.

edit: Oh, and the gamepad options are really complex now, I'm a little overwhelmed by them.

Hakkelus

Dirt Rally mods unlikely for legal reasons, says community manager

http://www.pcgamer.com/dirt-rally-mods-unlikely-for-legal-reasons-says-community-manager/

Like many in the comments of the article I don't understand this. There are so many racing games, even rally games, that can be heavily modded and without any legal actions, that I remember (and I follow gaming related news very closely), so why not Dirt rally? Or is this just about not being able to implement the steam workshop support?

Watevaman

Just a heads up that Dirt Rally is on sale on GMG for $30, but if you enter the voucher

Code:
ENCORE-ENCORE-ENCORE

you get another 20% off, bringing it down to $24. I personally haven't picked it up yet, but I think I will now.

Shaneus

http://www.pcgamer.com/dirt-rally-mods-unlikely-for-legal-reasons-says-community-manager/

Like many in the comments of the article I don't understand this. There are so many racing games, even rally games, that can be heavily modded and without any legal actions, that I remember (and I follow gaming related news very closely), so why not Dirt rally? Or is this just about not being able to implement the steam workshop support?
Not even unofficial ones? They could at least unlock the potential for it. But I guess if it's anything like the older F1 games, mods will be available anyway.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Well, that's... disappointing and stupid.

In any case: Today's daily for non-owners is probably the most fun Daily I've seen in a while. The rain and keeping the Ford Mk. II in 2-3 through the Germany Tarmac Terrror's course was pretty nice. Only complaint I have is that the cockpit view cuts off the left side of the vehicle which makes left turns a scare.

Top Bottom