• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

justbiglee

Neo Member
Okay, woah, I'm loving the new FFB. At first it was weird and I crashed a lot, but I just had to unlearn the way it was before. After three stages I started to "get" it and now it feels absolutely fantastic. I mean, if feels so much more natural, like the car and road gives me feedback. I'm finding it so much easier to drift around turns too. I'm still getting used to it but I've already beat one of my fastest lap times on the middle of Pike's Peak.

I'm not sure, but honestly it might be the best FFB I've ever felt in a racing game. RBR seems comparable, not sure which game's is best. I also don't have PCars or Asseta Corsica yet either, I've heard theirs is pretty good. But man I wish Euro Truck had FFB this good, lol!

Nice job Codemasters, very well done.

Phew! That's a relief to hear! Glad you're enjoying it and feel that way. We always knew it would be a dramatic change for those who have already put a lot of hours in and there was a bit of knee jerking from some but I'm glad to have booted my laptop up this morning to see that after a few hours people have unlearned what they knew and enjoying the new update.

Thanks everyone :)

Shaneus

Phew! That's a relief to hear! Glad you're enjoying it and feel that way. We always knew it would be a dramatic change for those who have already put a lot of hours in and there was a bit of knee jerking from some but I'm glad to have booted my laptop up this morning to see that after a few hours people have unlearned what they knew and enjoying the new update.

Do you know if DR will be going on the Steam sale for any more than it currently is? Asking for... a friend ;)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Do you know if DR will be going on the Steam sale for any more than it currently is? Asking for... a friend ;)

I'd highly doubt it, 1) it just came out, and 2) it's early access, and early access titles rarely go on big discounts anyway. Besides, this game is SOO worth the price, I mean it's become my favorite racer of all time I think. This is the most fun I've ever had with my G27 wheel.

Speaking of my G27, yes JustBigLee, your team did a bang up job with the FFB. Give them all a hug! I'm still honestly a little shocked at just how good it is, it certainly made the Pike's Peak courses easier to drive now, and gravel isn't near as scary as it was, now it's just fun. Okay, still a little scary...

kazinova

I think I like the new FFB model. It did take some unlearning and then learning. I still think it's weird when the wheel goes dead at low speeds. Maybe that's accurate but it doesn't feel quite right in 1st gear.

At speed the new model gives me loads more confidence to take turns at higher speeds (sometimes too high, though). It's nice to have a good idea if I'm going into a turn on ice or on tarmac. Maybe this will help me not suck in all the Greece events, I've never seemed to get the hang of the loose dirt there.

Ark

It's night and day! It's like an entirely new game to me, it feels right. Awesome job :)

Only issue I have is that I can't get my T300RS to go 1:1 with the game. it keeps wanting me to turn far more than I should to even get a 90 degree angle in the game itself. The calibration wizard seems to be working as it was before, but it's not carrying through to the actual game.

I've tried it with softlock both on and off.

It's night and day! It's like an entirely new game to me, it feels right. Awesome job :)

Only issue I have is that I can't get my T300RS to go 1:1 with the game. it keeps wanting me to turn far more than I should to even get a 90 degree angle in the game itself. The calibration wizard seems to be working as it was before, but it's not carrying through to the actual game.

I've tried it with softlock both on and off.
If you're talking about the cockpit wheel animation, that isn't 1:1. The physical lock of the front wheels should be right for all cars if you're calibrated for 1080 and have soft lock enabled.

They told me that it was unlikely the arm animation could be changed as it's a huge amount of work, but they may do an option to remove the arms and have the wheel rotate properly.

Ark

If you're talking about the cockpit wheel animation, that isn't 1:1. The physical lock of the front wheels should be right for all cars if you're calibrated for 1080 and have soft lock enabled.

They told me that it was unlikely the arm animation could be changed as it's a huge amount of work, but they may do an option to remove the arms and have the wheel rotate properly.

The issue I'm having is, for example, if I turn my wheel 90 degrees, the wheel in-game only turns about 45 degrees even though I've calibrated it correctly. Just trying to make the smallest of turns on a course is taking a lot more steering angle than it should.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Sounds like you probably don't want it set at 1080 then. Try lower values til it feels right. I use 630.

The issue I'm having is, for example, if I turn my wheel 90 degrees, the wheel in-game only turns about 45 degrees even though I've calibrated it correctly. Just trying to make the smallest of turns on a course is taking a lot more steering angle than it should.

Yeah, that's what he means by not being 1:1. Best bet is to use the modded dash cams. That way you don't see the wheel at all, and it won't screw with your head.

The new ffb system is such an improvement. I'm so impressed how much progress was made. It's infinitely better than before.

Ark

Yeah, that's what he means by not being 1:1. Best bet is to use the modded dash cams. That way you don't see the wheel at all, and it won't screw with your head.

The new ffb system is such an improvement. I'm so impressed how much progress was made. It's infinitely better than before.

Ah okay. It's just strange because it wasn't an issue in the previous builds. Oh well, I'll just have to get used to it I guess.

Jimrpg

Very impressed with Dirt Rally so far.

Positives
- runs great on my GTX 970, getting 1440p/100fps on high settings... on ultra its down to 70fps...
- great stages so far that feels reminiscent of the earlier Colin McRae games with fictitious courses
- feels like a real rally game, pushing the car to the brink without stacking it
- long stages are great! (even the sprint ones aren't that short)
- graphics are great, driveclub's lighting and weather model still looks more realistic, but this one looks pretty good (and runs higher than 30fps)
- Price, am glad they are charging mid tier for this. Quality feels like a full price game. Respect!
- So much better than that awful WRC 4 with repeat sections in its stages.

Negatives
- penalty is way too long (though I understand the design decision)
- hairpins are difficult to get around, maybe I need more practice, tend to end up stopping the car more often than not
- feels like a demo at the moment without a proper career mode, though there's plenty of stages here already
-Choosing Nationality is weird, why not just choose country, nobody calls themselves a Hong Konger
- had the game lock up during the loading screen in the career mode between Stage 3 and 4 of Greece.

Other comments
- This game is hard even on professional... on my first run through im 30-40 seconds behind...
- Hoping to get at least 10 locations with 6 or 7 unique stages each.
- Give me a career mode that starts with the basic cars and let me work my way up the ranks to the best cars and sign with various teams.
- The game should separate out the conditons into time and weather. Ie let me choose any combination of morning, afternoon, night with any weather condition.

I must have set the wheel lock incorrectly the first time around, I can't think of any other reason, and now I feel a bit silly. Thanks for the help :p
I think if you were using anything lower than about 540 before the update (and even more so if you adjusted the linearity/saturation), then it may have looked more like the wheel was doing 1:1, particularly across the first 45 degrees, as there is a weird elastic 'bounce' to the animation that makes the wheel rotate a bit further when you stop turning.

With the high rotation support now, the cars that have higher than 540 locks are showing an on-screen wheel that is responding much slower than before, so it's probably more noticeable that it's not 1:1 now.

Either that, or you did set it up weirdly before ;)

paskowitz

Very much improved. Especially in the higher power cars. I can feel the tires load up in compressions very well. I also like the understeer effect. Overall the effects are much much much better.

With that said, I do feel like oversteer is somewhat hard to feel through the wheel. I often times wonder what the car is doing underneath me. Usually this is through visual cues, but they are often detected too late.

I settled on this with a T500:

SAT - 70%
Wheel Friction - 0%
Tire Friction - 0%
Suspension - 80%
Tire Slip - 130%
Collision - 65%

With that said, I do feel like oversteer is somewhat hard to feel through the wheel..

Tire Slip - 130%

It's a subtle effect, but it helped me with oversteer. It doesn't interfere with clarity unlike how I felt tire friction did.

Shaneus

So I bought this with a 30% off GMG voucher, bringing it to just under $25. Even lower when I traded in 60c worth of games I had on my GMG account!

Is there somewhere with recommended 360 pad settings? The default seemed to be okay for the most part, but gear changes seemed a little laggy and clunky. That may have just been due to driving the Mini, though ;)

Can see what people are seeing in this game though, even after having driven only the first championship bit (Greece?) and 1/4 of the next one. What's the GAF group/club thing so I can join that as well?

Oh, and I hope to be using the G27 eventually, but for the time being I'll just be 360-padding it.

So I bought this with a 30% off GMG voucher, bringing it to just under $25. Even lower when I traded in 60c worth of games I had on my GMG account!

Is there somewhere with recommended 360 pad settings? The default seemed to be okay for the most part, but gear changes seemed a little laggy and clunky. That may have just been due to driving the Mini, though ;)

Can see what people are seeing in this game though, even after having driven only the first championship bit (Greece?) and 1/4 of the next one. What's the GAF group/club thing so I can join that as well?

Oh, and I hope to be using the G27 eventually, but for the time being I'll just be 360-padding it.

honestly IMO i despise racing anything but the group a and b type cars, i do like variety but going 9 minutes uphill in a mini that crawls just isn't what i want to be gaming for when there's rockets on wheels all over this game

Shaneus

honestly IMO i despise racing anything but the group a and b type cars, i do like variety but going 9 minutes uphill in a mini that crawls just isn't what i want to be gaming for when there's rockets on wheels all over this game
From what I could tell, in the career mode that was all I was able to race? Started with 50k and all that was available was that and the Lancia.

Shaneus

Can't decide if I should buy this now or wait till later. I'm also playing P Cars and Wreckfest, but I do love rally racing... :
It's worth buying if the best you can get it at is 25% off. At a guess, I'd say it'll be a while until it's this cheap again.

If your concerns are to do with playing with a controller, don't stress. I am and it's still stupid fun.

Fitts

Picked this game up a few days ago and am really enjoying it! My first rally game since Rallisport Challenge 2 on the OG Xbox and yeah, I missed this brand of driving. Can't wait for rallycross!

It's surprisingly well optimized and a pretty game to boot. My GTX 960 is handling it fine.

Makikou

So i haven't touched this yet even though the FFB patch got released. But hey, this is the last full week of June. Gimme dat Germany, Codemasters!

Shaneus

God, I was having such a hassle trying to get this game running well, despite Grid Autosport running fine on the same setup, and people talking about the relatively low requirements.

Then I turned off the post-processing or shaders or whatever (or put them to ultra low) and not only does the game run infinitely better, but it looks so much cleaner, too!

TheBear

Does anyone have any tips on how to be fast in this game? I just can't get my head around it. Around a circuit, you have a number of opportunities to perfect your lap. In this, I can't see how I can improve. I've played plenty of rally games but none as realistic as this. And with a wheel it seems even harder as its a lot easier to correct with a pad

DD

Does anyone have any tips on how to be fast in this game? I just can't get my head around it. Around a circuit, you have a number of opportunities to perfect your lap. In this, I can't see how I can improve. I've played plenty of rally games but none as realistic as this. And with a wheel it seems even harder as its a lot easier to correct with a pad

First have to understand about weight transfer. When you accelerate, the weight of the car moves to the rear and the front moves up, which means less grip on the front tires. When you brake, the weight moves to the front, which means more control while turning (unless you lock your wheels). Mastering this is the key to be fast. I recommend you to focus your attention on the front wheels. Some times it's good to press the brakes pedal just a little to add some weight on the front wheels while turning. Doing this can help you to carry more speed through turns.

The hand brake (E-brake?) is your friend, but use it only when you really feel you need it. Don't use it just to do a beautiful drift on a tight turn. That won't help you. Remember: use it only when needed.

You also have to learn to listen to you co-driver. Pay attention 'til its notes become natural to your ears. It helped me when I turned off all the HUD (it's a distraction). Mind the fact that a 'four right' turn will always be a 'four right' turn, but your speed will vary. Sometimes you can flat out a four right, but not when you're coming from a long straight, for example. When you're coming down a hill, your car takes more ground to stop. So pay attention the elevation changes and the speed you carry. A 'four right' will always be a 'four right', but the ways you come to a turn will always vary.

So: pay attention to the notes, pay attention to what your car is doing, pay attention the the weight transference, and forget about doing beautiful drifts. Do only what's necessary. Also - this I learned at the Richard Burns Rally School - sometimes you gotta be slow to be fast. Take it easy and try not to make mistakes. Pay attention to your surroundings. If you noticed that the the track is bumpy and/or tight, forget about flat out. You will lose control, don't fool yourself that you won't, because you will.

astonish

I had the same problem. I was applying too many paved-road 'standard' racing techniques trying to not drift, waiting until apex to push in the accelerator, etc. Then I watch some IRL and Dirt Rally tutorials on youtube and it totally turned me around. You going to spend a lot more time with the throttle down near full and a lot more time finessing the breaks and doing some counter steering.

Essentially I was worse than ever making the transition, but I just ran a championship season in a 70's car, every time I would slide off the track or otherwise get a penalty (why are pedestrians standing there anyway!?) I'd restart that leg of the race from the menu. This allowed forced me to keep replaying the courses to remember their layout instead of going solely off my co-driver. It certainly takes time but it gets you racing clean across most of the tracks.

Now that I race this way this game is so damn intense. I actually have to remind myself to relax my face muscles because I start bearing down on my teeth when I'm flying by the seat of my pants around corners, but boy of boy does it feel satisfying when you nail a sequence of corners with good speed.

Shaneus

Such a fucking great game. My first run through the first FWD tour thing with the Mini was destined for failure, but my second run I came 3rd overall in the first and second overall in the second (and by <10s, too!). Controller tweaking was needed to get the sensitivity right, but it feels good now, man.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man, I wrecked my car on like the 6th to last race of the monthly challenge. Damn ice course while snowing at night, lol. These monthly challenges are rough!

Afro

[removed]
18963612630_5d34f9003acq0i.jpg

Afro

The road textures look incredible with that added sharpness. What hardware was that capped on and how does it run at 4K?

Thanks! 980ti + i7 3770 stock.

At 4K? Depends on the conditions, but in the heavily wooded area of Pikes I get ~80fps on pavement and 65-70fps on dirt. Ultra.

I don't actually play at 4K b/c 100fps+ fluidity is more important than image quality w/ racers.

DD

At 4K? Depends on the conditions, but in the heavily wooded area of Pikes I get ~80fps on pavement and 65-70fps on dirt. Ultra.

I don't actually play at 4K b/c 100fps+ fluidity is more important than image quality w/ racers.

I feel so miserable now.

Single 980ti I presume? If it never drops below 60fps at 4K then that's impressive.

Was just curious, I thought it might've been a 980ti. Glad it performs great because I'm buying one soonish along with a GSync monitor, so I'm not particularly bothered about getting a solid 120/144.

Gandie

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/blog/4778

Tarmac Terrors next week and price increase

To everybody that has already purchased a copy of DiRT Rally, nothing will change for you; you won’t need to pay anything extra, we’re not doing a special edition, you won’t need to by a can of energy drink, you don’t’ need to tweet a picture of you drinking a glass of water… Nothing. The game is yours and regardless of how much you pay for it you’ll get all of our content included for that one price.

Ha.

Kelas

Great news, can't wait to play the new stuff.

MaxiLive

The latest update Tarmac Terrors is out now!

Germany_Banner_1.jpg

• 12 new rally stages based at Baumholder in Germany
  • Owners Club Online Events – A second DiRT Daily where you compete in your own car
  • A second weekly event where we’ll be experimenting and throwing new challenges at you
  • 7 new rally cars featuring new Group B RWD & Kit Car Classes
  • Renault Alpine A110 1600S
  • Opel Kadett GT/E 16v
  • Renault 5 Turbo
  • Opel Manta 400
  • Lancia 037 Evo 2
  • Seat Ibiza Kitcar
  • Peugeot 306 Maxi
  • New calibration and options screens in “Advanced Wheel Settings” (added in v.0.4.5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymX-88AvZYk

There will also be a live stream starting in 50 minutes:

http://www.twitch.tv/dirtgame

Kelas

The latest update Tarmac Terrors is out now!

Germany_Banner_1.jpg

• 12 new rally stages based at Baumholder in Germany
  • Owners Club Online Events &#8211; A second DiRT Daily where you compete in your own car
  • A second weekly event where we&#8217;ll be experimenting and throwing new challenges at you
  • 7 new rally cars featuring new Group B RWD & Kit Car Classes
  • Renault Alpine A110 1600S
  • Opel Kadett GT/E 16v
  • Renault 5 Turbo
  • Opel Manta 400
  • Lancia 037 Evo 2
  • Seat Ibiza Kitcar
  • Peugeot 306 Maxi
  • New calibration and options screens in &#8220;Advanced Wheel Settings&#8221; (added in v.0.4.5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymX-88AvZYk

There will also be a live stream starting in 50 minutes:

http://www.twitch.tv/dirtgame

aw yeah

e: 7gb D:

kazinova

Nice, was just hitting up my dailies last night. Still loving the new FFB, it's not perfect but it's still worlds better than it was.

Top Bottom