• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

flashmouth

Neo Member
Forgot the name, but the third rally in 60s championship through the woods...trees, trees everywhere. The road is so narrow and bumpy, you're constantly on the edge of losing the car. Can't remember the last time I had more fun not winning at a racing game.

I sort of like this plan for how they're adding content. Reminds me of Driveclub season pass. Maybe more racing games will follow a similar route. Also keeps you coming back every month.

yeah...they have their timeline planned out as far as the major additions go but the rest of it will be handled as the community gives them feedback...I can imagine they probably have ideas for tweaks already just from these first initial hours

Afro

A few downsampled shots. Now I play.

310560_2015-04-27_000vnus9.jpg

310560_2015-04-27_000jquwv.jpg

310560_2015-04-27_0008dueh.jpg

Scrum

Looks like Im buying a rallygame today, then Project Cars and after that Im good with cargames until Forza 7.

I'll be buying forza 6 too :)

Is it not loading for anyone else? All I get is, 'Preparing to launch Dirt Rally...' and it never does.

edit - resolved, restarting my computer fixed it as if by magic

Delt31

how does this compare to rallisport (aka the best rally game ever)? Very excited

Driving Force GT Support would be great....

I've got a T300 and its basically horrendous. The wheel on the screen doesn't seem to have any relation with what I am doing! Need to play with the settings but there's not many!

Anybody had any better luck with this wheel and got some settings for me to try?!

I've got a T300 and its basically horrendous. The wheel on the screen doesn't seem to have any relation with what I am doing! Need to play with the settings but there's not many!

Anybody had any better luck with this wheel and got some settings for me to try?!

going by their FAQ that wheel isn't officially supported yet...the person on here from CM said they will be adding more wheel support as they go along

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just ran two tracks with the 360 pad and all assists off. I love it. Closest thing to RBR so far.

For some reason my codriver wasn't calling out turns... anyone else having that problem?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wait, the game RIGHT NOW supports the Rift? Is this confirmed? Or did they just say it eventually will?

Branson

Not officialy yet. It will work obviously but no preset for now.

Since they are going to try and make the Rallycross experience as close to realistic as possible I'd like to see some GAF Rallycross Leagues or game nights...I call last place, lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=161779993&postcount=296

Thanks. Sorry I just got in the Thrustmaster family of wheels so I'm not entirely sure of how supported they are yet.

Vitor711

God dammit - I hate Sim racers but even I'm tempted to get this. My first ever PC-gaming love was a Collin Mcrae game back in the day, many many years ago.

Looks like this is a completely different beast but I;m so tempted.... It might all be a bit much for me though.

Thanks. Sorry I just got in the Thrustmaster family of wheels so I'm not entirely sure of how supported they are yet.

What wheels and controllers are supported by DiRT Rally?
Official Xbox 360 Wireless Pad
Official Xbox 360 Wired Pad
Logitech G27
Logitech G25
Thrustmaster T500 RS Racing Wheel
Thrustmaster T500 RS F1 Racing Wheel
Fanatec Clubsport Base v1
Fanatec Clubsport Base v2

as of this point that's what if officially supported with more to be added as they go

Watevaman

What kind of camera options does this have? I've seen a third person and regular cockpit mode so far. After playing (and enjoying) GRID Autosport, I actually realize that I love the closer dash camera that they have in there. It's closer to the windscreen so you have lots of visibility, but it also has the muffled sound of a cockpit and just feels good. Are there any plans for that in this?

Afrikan

I wish those VideoGamerTV crew would just not let their bias for arcade gameplay affect their reaction to the game.... in the video they just seem all down and negative. Wishing for DIRT3 sequel.

I'm a graphics whore, I've had DriveClub since launch and I'm spoiled, but this Dirt game still looks good enough to me... it looks realistic for what it's working with.

AND if they did support Oculus or Morpheus, the looks would be perfectly fine.

imagine a true Rally Sim in VR? Why the fook not?

I wish these Devs would just allow 2 settings, like we used to have. Arcade for those who still want that, and SIM for those who want that.

split lobbies. I know it's easier said than done, and I'm not a dev....but

SIM players who would fall in love with the controls, who would tell all of their SIM friends how great it is...and it might get more sales.

Arcade players who have been wanting a new Rally game to just f'around and go crazy.....might love it and tell their Rally loving friends.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
What kind of camera options does this have? I've seen a third person and regular cockpit mode so far. After playing (and enjoying) GRID Autosport, I actually realize that I love the closer dash camera that they have in there. It's closer to the windscreen so you have lots of visibility, but it also has the muffled sound of a cockpit and just feels good. Are there any plans for that in this?

Watching the Eurogamer video looks like that view is already in.

Megasoum

Banned

Yup, the dashcam was confirmed by the devs on their stream this morning.

HTupolev

You mean RSC2, right?
Both games have their strengths, but at some level I think I prefer 1 to 2. RSC2's visual design becomes problematic from a gameplay standpoint sometimes, and RSC1's physics make it feel ridiculously rewarding to really nail something in the orange or red class vehicles.

And even with the graphical strides that 2 makes, I don't think it's altogether better-looking than 1. The cleaner style in 1 sometimes works wonders, especially for snow racing, and it has 60fps replays.

They're both ridiculously good, though.

Deadman

Definitely interested in a dirt game that is fully focussed on rallying. Looking forward to people's early impressions.

from the stream I saw a third person, hood, bumper (just see the road no idea what the official name is), cockpit

Does anyone have good steering sensitivity/linearity settings for the T500RS? Because right now the game is controlling very poorly although it could just be me sucking.

It has chase cam, further chase cam, bonnet cam, bumper cam, cockpit, and windshield cam like you mentioned.

koolin101

Neo Member
codemasters making dreams come true...finally, purchased! better late than never, can't wait to try it tonight. This is the way to do it CM, unbelievable!

Bit the bullet as I'm a sucker for sims.
First impressions, it's pretty damn good. Feel that I've really worked hard to complete a stage!
Playing with 360 controller at the moment and it's more than playable. Will drag the wheel out on the weekend and see how that feels.
Having played Project Cars a lot recently, DiRT Rally seems to compliment it quite well.
Would like there to be manual lights and wipers and I'll really feel at home. The wipers just seem to go off every minute or so and would like to have to use them manually to wipe the dust off.

Recommended and can't wait to see what comes next.

I've just seen the gameplay videos and currently watching the twitch stream (from earlier today) as I'm writing this. I wish I wasn't a console peasant times like these.

To put it briefly, DiRT Rally looks absolutely f'ing amazing. It's exactly what I and countless other DiRT fans have been asking for since DiRT3. Couldn't care less about it running on the older EGO engine, as long as the physics are top notch.

Looking forward to more.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
First impressions, it's pretty damn good. Feel that I've really worked hard to complete a stage!
Playing with 360 controller at the moment and it's more than playable. Will drag the wheel out on the weekend and see how that feels.
Having played Project Cars a lot recently, DiRT Rally seems to compliment it quite well.
Would like there to be manual lights and wipers and I'll really feel at home. The wipers just seem to go off every minute or so and would like to have to use them manually to wipe the dust off.

So much this. They're nailing everything else, give me this control.

Also, can you switch your tire type? That was such a big part of rally "sims" in the past, and I can't seem to see if you can here...

NuKERxyz

I havent invested in a wheel for now but will in the future; would you, or anyone who played this (and project cars btw) recomend this game for someone that onlye has a controller?

thanks

bj00rn_

Banned
Bought it - Of course :)

I just wanted to say that the guys commented on the "shame" of the engine of game. But it's not just the engine that decides if a game looks good, it also depends on a good amount of details being thrown at it. Here's one example, Sementin track mod for RBR (plus a lot of other mods.) a 2006 game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bvms1ozkME

I havent invested in a wheel for now but will in the future; would you, or anyone who played this (and project cars btw) recomend this game for someone that onlye has a controller?

thanks

on the stream they talked about making sure they didn't leave the people who play on controller behind so you should be fine

thanks

To be honest, I would. Controller is my preferred device at the moment due to lack of space. As long as you are sensitive on the stick then it's fine.
Vibration is good and you seem to feel every bump.

Top Bottom