• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

GHG

Wtf.

Out of nowhere. And it's actually good? This and project cars in a few weeks?

What's happening?

Probably a long shot here, but is anyone playing this on a Surface equivalent device? I have a laptop with an i5-4210U and wonder how this would play.

Mohonky

Gemüsepizza;161795488 said:
What looks so incredible? The flat lighting? The repetitive vegetation? The boring track details?

To me this seems like an obvious cash grab. It has the DiRT name, they concentrated on features for the vocal die-hard fans to get that cheap word-of-mouth marketing, they jumped on the new trend "early access" so that they don't have to invest much. But the production value seems AA at best. I'd rather want a new AAA DiRT with breathtaking graphics, sorry.

I'm sorry they decided to remove your dude bros with their totally in your face antics.

What looks so incredible? The flat lighting? The repetitive vegetation? The boring track details?

To me this seems like an obvious cash grab. It has the DiRT name, they concentrated on features for the vocal die-hard fans to get that cheap word-of-mouth marketing, they jumped on the new trend "early access" so that they don't have to invest much. But the production value seems AA at best. I'd rather want a new AAA DiRT with breathtaking graphics, sorry.

Fairly certain you have no clue what you're talking about.

flashmouth

Neo Member
Probably a long shot here, but is anyone playing this on a Surface equivalent device? I have a laptop with an i5-4210U and wonder how this would play.

I'm playing on an i5-5200U with a GF840M, ingame benchmark said min 25, max 40, avg 30fps with most setings low-mid.

DJ_Lae

I have the same bug. Apparently there are supposed to be UI signs that pop up that show the next corner as well, and I'm not getting those either.

Some people see them just fine... really weird glitch.

Damn, I didn't know there were UI indicators, too. I would take either one of those working!

It's a weird balance of driving timid and aggressive when you don't know exactly how sharp a corner is or what's happening when you crest a ridge.

Risgroo

Wut
rW9GztA.gif

I understand this, and I know it doesn't look as good as, say, Driveclub or Project CARS or Forza Horizon 2. But I find these days that I care less and less about how racing games look, in that I would happily accept improvements (holy crap those Project CARS shots in the rain!) but am totally fine with Dirt 2-level graphics. I'm not saying everyone will be, and I wouldn't begrudge your desire for a high-budget graphical-showcase Dirt title. But personally, I'm totally okay with the last-gen engine. It's not the prettiest, but it gets the job done from what I've seen.

I think also it helps to look at the engine in context: yes, the graphics haven't improved as much, but from what I've heard about the handling model and the tracks in the game, there's plenty to justify the price tag here. It doesn't sound like a cynical cash grab to me.

Got my Logitech G25 out for this after not using it for forever. It's a lot of fun.

TBH now I want to try more racing games with my wheel. (I originally got it for Gran Turismo 5 before it came out!)

Afro

Framerate fluctuating between 85-100fps at 1080p, 2x msaa, ultra settings in clear weather. Single 970, i7 3770 stock. Can only improve with time. Nice.

Watevaman

If it's any help, I can run GRID Autosport, which apparently is the same engine that this runs on, on my 2009 HP laptop that is using an old 4650M graphics chip and a dual-core POS processor, so you may be ok to run this.

Zeth

I've got a T300 and its basically horrendous. The wheel on the screen doesn't seem to have any relation with what I am doing! Need to play with the settings but there's not many!

Anybody had any better luck with this wheel and got some settings for me to try?!

Same wheel here. Hoping for someone else to come along with some settings suggestions. Reducing the wheel rotation in Windows to ~360 matches them up more closely. I think the animation is only 180, which doesn't seem accurate but I don't know anything about rally.

If it's any help, I can run GRID Autosport, which apparently is the same engine that this runs on, on my 2009 HP laptop that is using an old 4650M graphics chip and a dual-core POS processor, so you may be ok to run this.

Thanks for this! I actually bought Grid Autosport on sale this morning out of sheer coincidence before this hit the store. I'll play that tonight and if it runs well, I might give this one a shot as well.

Thanks!

I have to agree. DiRT 2 was fucking amazing, and I'm seriously disappointed they went this route. It just doesn't have the mass appeal to be big.

Stig94

Neo Member
GAF

Was thinking of picking this up but don't know how well it will run, I used to be able to get 60fps locked with max settings @ 1080p on DiRT 3. Is it similarly demanding?

i5 2500k, GTX 570 and 8GBs of RAM

Thanks!

GAF

Was thinking of picking this up but don't know how well it will run, I used to be able to get 60fps locked with max settings @ 1080p on DiRT 3. Is it similarly demanding?

i5 2500k, GTX 570 and 8GBs of RAM

Thanks!

More demanding. You'll definitely be able to get 1080p60, but probably not at max settings. Probably medium or somewhere around that with 570.

I have to agree. DiRT 2 was fucking amazing, and I'm seriously disappointed they went this route. It just doesn't have the mass appeal to be big.

It's an early access simulation rally game only available on PC launched with no hype or even prior announcement...

and your hint that they're not going for mass appeal was the graphics?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Hi all,

Being totally honest we're blown away by how much you love what we've made. I need to try and catch up with the rest of the world after finishing the livestream so if you have any questions please ask away.

x1 and ps4 version ASAP. please.

Watevaman

More demanding. You'll definitely be able to get 1080p60, but probably not at max settings. Probably medium or somewhere around that with 570.

If it's the same engine as Autosport, and with how much is going on in that game, I can see it getting better as time goes on if they're still doing optimization. My 570 can run Autosport pretty good on maxed settings. Not expecting 1080p60 with this, but hopefully it'll run pretty well. I'll be happy with 1080p30 on max or near max, as that's what I'll record at anyway.

i guess i will buy this.

is there a GAF racing league set up yet? or am i gonna play it for 45 minutes, say 'that's cool' and let it rot on my HD until a few more updates come out

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Bah. Going to have to wait until there is proper FFB support for the DFGT before jumping in here.

Aside from that, it looks great and if they can get the feel of the driving nailed down, it'll be my go to Rally game for sure going forward.

Oh man. This is the game I've been wanting for freaking years. YEARS. I won't beg for a console port, but all I can say is it'd be a huge shame if I never got to play this. Graphics can take a back seat, I just want to rally.

wait is this game ok with a controller? don't give me any elitist shit but i read some review that said don't bother without a wheel, i've had plenty of rally racing fun with older simulation rally games with a controller....its fine right?

Chiramii

As much as I love rally in the DiRT-series, it's a shame if they cut the rallycross part of it. I don't care much for all the other stuff, like gymkhana and transporter, but there was some proper fun and great experiences to be had in both rally and rallycross.

Megasoum

Banned
As much as I love rally in the DiRT-series, it's a shame if they cut the rallycross part of it. I don't care much for all the other stuff, like gymkhana and transporter, but there was some proper fun and great experiences to be had in both rally and rallycross.

They already confirmed Rallycross and even more detailed and realistic than in previous Dirt games.

DJ_Lae

wait is this game ok with a controller? don't give me any elitist shit but i read some review that said don't bother without a wheel, i've had plenty of rally racing fun with older simulation rally games with a controller....its fine right?

It's absolutely fine. I've been using a controller with no problems and have no intent to ever play this game with a wheel.

Where do I go to report issues while it's in early access? There are two slight issues with the camera transision when looking behind yourself.

It's absolutely fine. I've been using a controller with no problems and have no intent to ever play this game with a wheel.

sweet downloading now. i thought steam always made you log into paypal to confirm transactions? i didn't have to do anything this time, felt like a smaller amount of clicks than usual to finalize that. or maybe i just haven't bought anything in a hot minute and forgot....either way it's done, happy to check this out.

my all time favorite rally game is the original WRC for ps2 though. idk why, none of the other ones really did it for me like that did. from the handling, to the 'realism' of it (for the time) down to it looking dead on like a SPEED channel race in replay and with the race previews...man those previews were such a sweet touch and got me pumped up. i also did admittedly love your settings basically being 'high/med/low gear' etc i prefer that to total tinkering like i'm assuming you get here but, lets see what this is about

Same wheel here. Hoping for someone else to come along with some settings suggestions. Reducing the wheel rotation in Windows to ~360 matches them up more closely. I think the animation is only 180, which doesn't seem accurate but I don't know anything about rally.

I went back to default settings in the control panel app for the wheel and that has helped a fair bit, at least got some feel to the wheel now. Just need to start tweaking the in game settings see if I can find one I like

DJ_Lae

sweet downloading now. i thought steam always made you log into paypal to confirm transactions? i didn't have to do anything this time, felt like a smaller amount of clicks than usual to finalize that. or maybe i just haven't bought anything in a hot minute and forgot....either way it's done, happy to check this out.

my all time favorite rally game is the original WRC for ps2 though. idk why, none of the other ones really did it for me like that did. from the handling, to the 'realism' of it (for the time) down to it looking dead on like a SPEED channel race in replay and with the race previews...man those previews were such a sweet touch and got me pumped up. i also did admittedly love your settings basically being 'high/med/low gear' etc i prefer that to total tinkering like i'm assuming you get here but, lets see what this is about

Haha, I noticed that a little while back. Once you've set up your paypal account it'll just process automatically, no different than a saved credit card. Creeped me out the first time it happened.

I was a whore for Rallisport Challenge 2 although this game is more sim-focused. Reminds me a lot of the old Colin McRae games.

Top Bottom