• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

In a word, no.

If you didn't like the career in PCars, I doubt you'll enjoy this one, might be wise to steer clear if you need motivation in the guise of gamification.
Thanks. I love careers in racing games like GT and FM, but it seems that these kind of career modes are dying. :(

danowat

Banned
Thanks. I love careers in racing games like GT and FM, but it seems that these kind of career modes are dying. :(

I'm the other way, I don't like the credit / xp grind, and prefer to just a have a load of cars and tracks, decent AI, and a season / championship mode.

Career mode in the most recent Forza's has bored me to tears, I have barely made it through half of it because it's just so dull.

DD

I'm the other way, I don't like the credit / xp grind, and prefer to just a have a load of cars and tracks, decent AI, and a season / championship mode.

Career mode in the most recent Forza's has bored me to tears, I have barely made it through half of it because it's just so dull.

Same here. =B

wouwie

After taking a break playing R&C and Ori, i thought it was time to continue my clubman adventure in a Renault 5 turbo. And i feel as if i have to learn it all again. I can barely finish a race. It doesn't help that i'm tired so i'll probably continue tomorrow. If i continue like i was riding today, i'm actually going to be demoted.

xrnzaaas

After taking a break playing R&C and Ori, i thought it was time to continue my clubman adventure in a Renault 5 turbo. And i feel as if i have to learn it all again. I can barely finish a race. It doesn't help that i'm tired so i'll probably continue tomorrow. If i continue like i was riding today, i'm actually going to be demoted.

Renault 5 is imo one of the worst cars in the game. You have to fight it really hard in the sharper corners. Try tweaking the setup to reduce understeer even at a cost of worse straight line stability.

danowat

Banned
Renault 5 is imo one of the worst cars in the game. You have to fight it really hard in the sharper corners. Try tweaking the setup to reduce understeer even at a cost of worse straight line stability.

Worse? or hardest to drive? the 037 is a nightmare to keep in a straight line.

xrnzaaas

The Renault pretty much hates corners. :) You can try to fight it off with a changed setup, but you'll be losing its other attributes like being fast in a straight line (Finland was my most successful rally in the R5 Turbo 1980s career championship). I can't compare with the Lancia 037, because outside of a couple of daily events I haven't driven it too much.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Does thie game have a solid career mode? I want lots of events and races and motivation for playing career, not like Project Cars.

its set up similar to project cars in that the only real motivation to play is the love of the game. so, from your perspective, no? its the best racer ever though, so you'd be missing out. just get it.

jdw_b

Bleugh tried my first attempt at the league and I keep getting driver crashes so I can never finish a stage...

Don't know what's going on. Was running fine until today

Azzawon

Is RaceNet down? Keep getting 'RaceNet refused your connection attempt. Please try again another time.'

Hard reset Xbox, router, and still nothing.

Bobnob

Azzawon i made you a Rally Gaf manager hope you don't mind.I'm just not sure how much i will be playing. Also set up a new event starting in 12hours.

Azzawon

Azzawon i made you a Rally Gaf manager hope you don't mind.I'm just not sure how much i will be playing. Also set up a new event starting in 12hours.

Wow, thanks! Not a problem! I'm in the same boat at the moment haha, but I'll try to keep setting up leagues if there isn't one already on the go :)

vsMIC

Is RaceNet down? Keep getting 'RaceNet refused your connection attempt. Please try again another time.'

Hard reset Xbox, router, and still nothing.

since almost a week racnet is having strong problems on xb1. log on fails, not registered times, etc. depends on time of day seemingly.

wondering why there is no big outcry about that.

Curufinwe

When will the rest of the month's rally courses become available?

It seems crazy to only have 6 of 24 ready to race a week into May.

Damn that R4 Special Stage. Totalled my car half way through the final stage. FFS

In other news I just noticed that stages in Greece share some stretches of road. Do they in other countries?

Mohasus

Did CM reduce the difficulty?

I remember barely being able to finish in the top 3 before (early access/1.0 pc release), but now I'm like -10s in the first split.

wouwie

I've been playing around with the 1980 cars and eventually i settled with the Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 because it felt as the easiest one to drive.

If have been playing this game quite a lot and i don't feel like i'm getting any better at all. I'm currently doing clubman and i usually end up between 3rd and 5th but with a big margin behind first. I'm having less accidents but i'm still driving very safely. Whenever i can go full gas, i just chicken out. It's as if my brain can't handle the sense of speed, the precision of control required and the pace notes all at the same time (and i'm still on automatic...). Also, most of these older (rwd?) cars feel very slippery and you have to constantly adjust and be attentive. I just did the daily event with a Ford Focus RS Rally 2001 and it struck me how much easier it was to drive, even without having any previous experience with it.

On a side note, i don't understand why pace notes are in the replays. Especially since they are being cut if the camera changes to oustide the car. It doesn't make sense to include those in replays.

When you think only your back wheel has a puncher but at the finish line you notice you were missing an entire front wheel too, it's cool.

danowat

Banned
NeoGAF Rally League Week 5 [08.05.2016 - 15.05.2016]

PS4 League

This week we take cars from the 2000's to the fast and jump filled roads of Finland, 6 stages, 4 short daytime stages, a 2 long stages.

Event Details
5 Stages

2000's Rally Cars

carsot__0032_drt_2015_12_08_15_07_15_00_png_by_watevaman-d9jhlbs.jpg

carsot__0033_drt_2015_12_08_15_07_19_44_png_by_watevaman-d9jhlbm.jpg

carsot__0034_drt_2015_12_08_15_07_22_89_png_by_watevaman-d9jhlbg.jpg

carsot__0035_drt_2015_12_08_15_07_26_59_png_by_watevaman-d9jhlbb.jpg

No Retries
No Restarts
No Career Engineers

Stages

Service Area, Vehicle Tuning
Finland, Kailajärvi (S) Morning / Overcast
tracksot__0049_drt_2015_12_08_15_01_50_75_png_by_watevaman-d9jhgxj.jpg

Finland, Jyrkysjärvi (S) Morning / Overcast
tracksot__0052_drt_2015_12_08_15_01_56_77_png_by_watevaman-d9jhgwx.jpg

Finland, Hämelahti (L) Afternoon / Clear
tracksot__0060_drt_2015_12_08_15_02_12_59_png_by_watevaman-d9jhgux.jpg

Finland, Järvenkylä (S) Morning / Overcast
tracksot__0058_drt_2015_12_08_15_02_08_18_png_by_watevaman-d9jhgvb.jpg

Finland, Oksala (S) Midday / Sunny
tracksot__0056_drt_2015_12_08_15_02_04_13_png_by_watevaman-d9jhgvx.jpg

Finland, Kakaristo (L) Afternoon / Clear
tracksot__0053_drt_2015_12_08_15_01_58_39_png_by_watevaman-d9jhgwr.jpg

Event Start:
t1462737600z0.png

Event Finish:
t1463342400z0.png

MattyH

Been looking at this for a while now Ive not played a rally game since Rally Evolved on PS2 is it accessible to say someone who enjoys rally games more than straight up racing games

Trumpets

Started playing this yesterday and I'm loving it.

Turned all the assists off (bar automatic gears) from the start and I'm in 2nd place in the Clubman championship driving a Mini. Difficulty and handling is perfect for me - I've had a few first place finishes but mostly it's something to strive for.

What would be a good car/category to try after I've finished with the Mini?

Been looking at this for a while now Ive not played a rally game since Rally Evolved on PS2 is it accessible to say someone who enjoys rally games more than straight up racing games
I think you'll enjoy it. There's an initial period of uncertainty as it hangs you your arsare repeatedly. But then it's love.

What would be a good car/category to try after I've finished with the Mini?
Try some online challenges to be rewarded whilst trying different cars.

In other news, in Monthly there are repairs.

xrnzaaas

The new league event was very enjoyable. I picked the Subaru, because I love that car. Maybe I would've been quicker in the '07 Focus, but on the other hand I haven't driven this car a lot so I would have to learn it on the fly.

By the way did anyone notice that the PS4 version seems to be running in much higher fps when you're driving in the mist? I'd even say it all plays too fast compared to normal framerate. :)

danowat

Banned
Assassin47
You're in.

The new league event was very enjoyable. I picked the Subaru, because I love that car. Maybe I would've been quicker in the '07 Focus, but on the other hand I haven't driven this car a lot so I would have to learn it on the fly.

I think the Focus is quicker, but the Subaru is more stable overal, however, the default setup isn't very good for Finland, and needs some suspension work to iron out the kinks that the car shows over the jumps.

I am still testing cars for the event!

xrnzaaas

Well that's one way to finish a stage:

1117lu83.jpg

And what I love is that we're not getting one flat texture like in most other racing games :)

danowat

Banned
Lost a ton of time on the final stage, my engine was sounding like a bag of old rusty spanners, engine light was on so must have damaged something!

danowat

Banned
Looks like interest is continuing to wane (only 8 entries in the league so far), which is a shame, I will continue to do a weekly PS4 league until I go on holiday for two weeks on 3rd of June, at which point someone else can continue it, and we can reassess when I get back.

I'll be honest, I think the relative lack of locations can kill the fun a little bit, when I am looking at what to run each week it highlights that we could do with a bit more variety in terms of locations.

xrnzaaas

Looks like interest is continuing to wane (only 8 entries in the league so far), which is a shame, I will continue to do a weekly PS4 league until I go on holiday for two weeks on 3rd of June, at which point someone else can continue it, and we can reassess when I get back.

I'll be honest, I think the relative lack of locations can kill the fun a little bit, when I am looking at what to run each week it highlights that we could do with a bit more variety in terms of locations.

Some people seem to have dropped out before finishing all stages (there's 24 of them on the leaderboard after SS1). I don't think they're on the list if they crashed beyond repair (or maybe they ragequit after taking some massive damage which is really easy in Finland ;))

Lima

Tried out the 2000 class for a bit and chose the Focus 07. Damn that is a fun car to drive. Feels very safe which makes pushing the limits even easier. Love it.

TheRed

Excited for Rift support to really get back into this game. Hope for Vive support after because I won't be keeping the Rift for too much longer...

Top Bottom