• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

I've been using the car comparison guide and only realised last night that the rating out of 5 stars is difficulty of handling, not how good the author thinks they are.

So I've been picking all the most difficult cars to drive! Silly me.

xrnzaaas

I've been using the car comparison guide and only realised last night that the rating out of 5 stars is difficulty of handling, not how good the author thinks they are.

So I've been picking all the most difficult cars to drive! Silly me.

LOL same here :D I never read instruction manuals :D

vsMIC

So, the racenet problems are getting worse and worse ... no one else experiencing the problems on XBOX in EU?

Yesterday was madness, constant login problems, failed uploads of league runs, leaderboard errors preventing to advance to next race, not registered league times, etc. I had to re-run several courses on the driven league until I could finally upload.

Yes, my ports are open, I have a 100mb line, no W-lan but cable and all other games run smoothly. So definitely not on my end...

Bobnob

So, the racenet problems are getting worse and worse ... no one else experiencing the problems on XBOX in EU?

Yesterday was madness, constant login problems, failed uploads of league runs, leaderboard errors preventing to advance to next race, not registered league times, etc. I had to re-run several courses on the driven league until I could finally upload.

Yes, my ports are open, I have a 100mb line, no W-lan but cable and all other games run smoothly. So definitely not on my end...
Yes alot of people reporting issues.

vsMIC

Yeah had issues yesterday too. Just play some career while they fix it.

yeah, it is a pity. i love the game, but i also feel the general interest for that game is rapidly shrinking. such problems do not help either. have codies already announced that they work on it?

danowat

Banned
yeah, it is a pity. i love the game, but i also feel the general interest for that game is rapidly shrinking. such problems do not help either. have codies already announced that they work on it?
I believe they have acknowledged the problem and are working on it.

Curufinwe

Watching my wife try Dirt Rally was a hilarious experience. She plays games and has done fine in the past on arcade-style driving titles, but she was completely unprepared for what a light touch on the left stick Dirt Rally demands, and how early you need to brake, and the car was wrecked within minutes.

Seeing her scream into the corners 30 mph too fast and go flying into the trees literally made we wince. The games seemed even more realistic when I wasn't playing it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
isnt there news of the "future of dirt" coming soonish? was it rumored or mentioned for e3? please be an expansion of sorts to dirt rally and not some corny shitfest like showdown or arcade title (though still good) like last gens dirt titles.

Lima

Gave Group B(RWD) a real chance as it is the only car class I haven't touched. Yeah no this might be too much for me with a controller. I can somewhat manage to keep the car on track and get to the finish but then I'm not fast enough. I'm finishing around 10th on Master and I don't intend to drop down difficulty. I'm just going to complete this championship season and then I'm done with the game for now unless they add more content. I have all cars and upgrades for it with over 250 hours played. Definitely got my money's worth.

DavidDesu

Excited for Rift support to really get back into this game. Hope for Vive support after because I won't be keeping the Rift for too much longer...

Hopefully PSVR support can happen for this game... though it would probably terrify me. Some of those narrow snow stages....

vsMIC

any recommendations for leagues on xbox?

unfortunately general interest seems dwindling, several leagues i was driving stopped already. so any recommendations? thx

Finally a clean rally stage.

JxUpibV.gif

isnt there news of the "future of dirt" coming soonish? was it rumored or mentioned for e3? please be an expansion of sorts to dirt rally and not some corny shitfest like showdown or arcade title (though still good) like last gens dirt titles.

I have the sense this has been a relative success for them (but would like to see numbers) and I think (hope?) them moving backwards into more arcade styles is unlikely. Personally I'd love them to develop this more, with a more fleshed out career mode and perhaps some more events and modes. But this is the zenith of the series, so hopefully they take it and run with it.

Lima

Lost my exhaust upon landing a big jump in Finland. Co-Driver was like "Look out exhaust is gone"

I was like weight reduction bro.

danowat

Banned
NeoGAF Rally League Week 6 [15.05.2016 - 22.05.2016]

PS4 League

This week I have decided to do something different for a change, it's just a one off, so sorry if you don't like it, but it's only for one week!

Special Event week, Mini Cooper S Tarmac Rally challenge.

Event Details
6 Stages

60's Mini Cooper S

carsot__0010_drt_2015_12_08_15_05_02_66_png_by_watevaman-d9jhl9a.jpg

No Retries
No Restarts
No Career Engineers

Stages

Service Area, Vehicle Tuning
Germany, Kreuzungsring (S) Morning / Clear
tracksot__0037_drt_2015_12_08_15_01_11_89_png_by_watevaman-d9jhdj5.jpg

Germany, Flugzeugring Reverse (S) Morning / Overcast
tracksot__0043_drt_2015_12_08_15_01_23_97_png_by_watevaman-d9jhdhu.jpg

Germany, Frauenberg (L) Midday / Clear
tracksot__0046_drt_2015_12_08_15_01_28_90_png_by_watevaman-d9jhdh6.jpg

Monaco, Route de Turini Descente (S) Midday / Sunny
tracksot__0036_drt_2015_12_08_15_00_54_10_png_by_watevaman-d9jhh7m.jpg

Monaco, Route de Turini Montée (S) Afternoon / Mist
tracksot__0035_drt_2015_12_08_15_00_52_42_png_by_watevaman-d9jhh7u.jpg

Monaco, Pra d’Alart (L) Afternoon / Cloudy
tracksot__0026_drt_2015_12_08_15_00_33_90_png_by_watevaman-d9jhh9m.jpg

Event Start:
t1463343300z0.png

Event Finish:
t1463948100z0.png

xrnzaaas

I need some refreshing how to drive the Mini, because I haven't driven it since the first day after I purchased the game. :D

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
dumb question, but i'm finding the website for leagues a bit confusing. is there a way to set a variety of stages to race, in any order, over a set amount of time? for example, can i pick one stage from each location that can be raced in any order at any time over the span of a week? is there options for race restarts or at least re-races?

danowat

Banned
dumb question, but i'm finding the website for leagues a bit confusing. is there a way to set a variety of stages to race, in any order, over a set amount of time? for example, can i pick one stage from each location that can be raced in any order at any time over the span of a week? is there options for race restarts or at least re-races?
No, you have to specify a set of tracks and a specific order to run them in.

Restarts are an option.

I'm surprised you rolling past the finish area didn't count you as finishing it. You'd think rollin' down the hill would still have you "cross the line."

After rolling 10 or so times I came to a stop on my wheels, not knowing which direction to go I hit reverse and moved about 2 inches and went over the line.

Clockwork5

Super excited for Rally Portugal to begin in the next hour. I'm really hoping for another win from Paddon this weekend.

Also, Portugal is always a bit of a spectacle.

xrnzaaas

Yeah it was fun. Went with the wrong setup and my brakes were locking up in SS1&2 so I probably lost a lot of time there. :) I also spun in SS3 but surprisingly I still got a good time on that stage.

I've just unlocked Elite Championship

Ideally I'd like to do it in a 2000s car, but I'm still saving for it. What are my options? Can I start a Championship and change car part way through?

I've got a couple of online results to come in but I'll likely be short for another few sessions at least.

Any ideas?

DD

I've just unlocked Elite Championship

Ideally I'd like to do it in a 2000s car, but I'm still saving for it. What are my options? Can I start a Championship and change car part way through?

I've got a couple of online results to come in but I'll likely be short for another few sessions at least.

Any ideas?

Do some short Rallycross or Hillclimb championship. :3

danowat

Banned
Haven't got time to make a "proper" post, but next weeks league event is as follows.

2010's rally cars in Greece.

1 Greece, Koryfi Dafni (S) Morning / Clear X X X
2 Greece, Pomona Ékrixi (S) Midday / Sunny - - -
3 Greece, Tsiristra Théa (L) Sunset / Clear X X X
4 Greece, Ypsona tou Dasos (S) Night / Clear - - -
5 Greece, Pedines Epidaxi (S) Morning / Clear X X X
6 Greece, Kathodo Leontiou (L) Sunset / Clear

xrnzaaas

Well that was uneven league event for me. I had some good and decent stages, but crashed twice on the final stage (yeah, I flew off ;)) so that cost me about half a minute. :) I chose the Hyundai. It may not be the fastest one but it's fun to drive.

Curufinwe

I finished the monthly online rally and now I'm done with the game.

Perhaps the biggest reason I'm trading in the game is the pathetic amount of credits you earn by racing. I never got close to buying many of the best cars, and now I'd need to grind for hours just to get enough cash to rehire my engineers. No thanks, Codemasters.

xrnzaaas

I finished the monthly online rally and now I'm done with the game.

Perhaps the biggest reason I'm trading in the game is the pathetic amount of credits you earn by racing. I never got close to buying many of the best cars, and now I'd need to grind for hours just to get enough cash to rehire my engineers. No thanks, Codemasters.

One top engineer costs 42k so the entire group costs 168k for 40 stages. You can easily earn >200k from a single rally on the elite level and that's 10 special stages. So yeah you aren't earning big bucks, but you can earn money for new cars. The online events don't have such good paydays. I did a few weekly ones when I was still learning the game and just completed the first (and only) monthly one to get the trophy.

I also heard that Pikes Peak and custom championships are easy ways to earn money, but I have no interest in these modes (same for rallycross). ;)

cilonen

I love the idea of this game; I love the presentations and visuals too but man am I not having fun actually playing it...

Dear digital rendering of Greece,

Your off camber corners and blind crests into super narrow rutted tracks with cliff walls one side, just waiting to grab the tyres and spin you out off the sheer drop on the other side are too much.

You suck,
Cilonen

xrnzaaas

Right, I forgot that you actually have to finish somewhere in the top3 in a rally to gain some serious money. :) Well on lower championship levels you can go for the cheaper engineers I guess or avoid buying perks. The grind does exist, but I don't feel like someone is intentionally trying to slow my progress so that I can spend real money to catch up (besides there are no microtransactions). I would probably have a different attitude if cars were locked behind a paywall in all modes and not just in career.

danowat

Banned
Money is not one thing that has ever factored for me in this game, I always seem to sit on between 1.5 and 2 million Cr,

The lack of more locations is what's killing it for me now.

danowat

Banned
I didn't bother with a league event this week, I was busy yesterday, plus I don't think it'll be missed, it appears that most people have moved on.

If there is interest, then I can promote someone to operate the league as I am away for two weeks on Friday.

Wow! gameplay and physics are amazing in this game!!! fun and difficult, really like it.
But that grinding! :O I wish it had a better career.
I only play offline. should I update the game?

I didn't bother with a league event this week, I was busy yesterday, plus I don't think it'll be missed, it appears that most people have moved on.

If there is interest, then I can promote someone to operate the league as I am away for two weeks on Friday.
Been away this week, will be back on it come the weekend.

xrnzaaas

I would be too lazy to set up anything myself, but if someone else creates a new league event I'll be interested in participating. :)

PS. Maybe six SS's was too much for some people? I remember that less half of them made it to the end in the last events (not only due to lack of interest but also because of crashing)... or we can go superhardcore and increase their number. :D

Top Bottom