• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirty Bomb open beta thread

Back in RtCW/ET gibbing was one of the earliest things to learn if you wanted to be a competitive player, maybe the martyrdom ability is just their way of trying to teach a new playerbase to gib from afar as a priority?

Back in RtCW/ET gibbing was one of the earliest things to learn if you wanted to be a competitive player, maybe the martyrdom ability is just their way of trying to teach a new playerbase to gib from afar as a priority?

Only one merc has it though, if you're close enough to most people you can just knife gib. If it is a nader, you can easily fake out running over them and that gibs themslves, or you just spray into their body or make sure a medic isn't running directly at her.

It really isn't an issue, although there is some tactical value of having the threat or acting as a player controlled proximity mine.

Martyrdom used to upset me quite a bit, but after actually buying and playing with Nader for a while, it just doesn't take me by surprise anymore. You really do get used to it.

Now my only problem with it is my teammates just blowing themselves up as fast as possible even when a medic is nearby, even as the medic is healing them.

Martyrdom used to upset me quite a bit, but after actually buying and playing with Nader for a while, it just doesn't take me by surprise anymore. You really do get used to it.

Now my only problem with it is my teammates just blowing themselves up as fast as possible even when a medic is nearby, even as the medic is healing them.

It is possible they're doing it accidentally, but there is also a small bug where you can activate martyrdom moments after you've been revived. The new revive stuff still needs tweaking I think.

squall23

Does anybody have a list of what actions specifically give what type of EXP? I mean, Combat EXP is pretty obvious. I just need info on the rest.

Kade

I feel like Phantom is just going to be another waste of a player and merc slot like Vassili is. We'll see.

I'm loving phantom so far. Doesn't feel stronger than nader in terms of killing power since they both sport smgs, around the same hp, but far different abilities and strategies make them feel really different.

I'm the sort of fps player that hates games with stealth, but mostly I just hate when they do it wrong. So far I haven't had any trouble spotting phantoms while they are moving, which imo means it is pretty well done.

The katana is a lot of fun. It seems to have a bit more reach and longer animation. When you right click you lunge and the damage is applied towards the middle where your sword is fully extended but you can still adjust aim while that damage is being applied to hit someone who has moved. Left click seems to hit whoever, and however many, people are right in front of you. Gibbing multiple bodies stacked up in one swing feels great. And I think the animation for the left clicks is superb.

Phantom is a merc I didn't play a whole lot of during alpha/beta testing, but so far my opinion of him has skyrocketed from what it was before.

Kek10 + katana card exists, although not with great augments so that is a great way to approach balancing (I've heard people argue kek10 is broken because people pick cards with crap augments just to get it, but that sounds like the loadout card balance philosophy at work). I think it was cooldown (mg cooldown) + longer ability length and I didn't have bronze so I don't know the third augment on that particular card. The other kek10 doesn't have the katana, but has the stiletto. Will have to check out the augments for each loadout card in the, which I simply haven't done yet.

edit:
Looks like the third augment for the card is +20% melee damage which could be very very useful.

Looks like the third augment for the card is +20% melee damage which could be very very useful.

Doing some research with that he will one shot Wassili or anyone lighter. Most other mercs will be one shot by him then if they have taken any sort of chip damage. I would say that if a card doesn't have it they you shouldn't use it for Phantom.

Dr.Acula

Banned
This dev, Exedore, is a real dick, it's hilarious. Live stream, and he is having NONE of the balance questions. A co-worker commented on the stream about where he should get dinner and he was like "who's that?" "it's Toby, you know Toby, he sits across from you." "...Do I?"

Ahhaha, shoe just asked him where he was from and he said "ungh, this question again" and is dodging the question.

I've been playing a lot of Phantom. Lot's of fun, but he is maybe a tiny bit imbalanced. I feel like if he just had 100 or 110 health instead of the 120 he has now, he would be fine. It's still early though, so these are just first impressions.

Right now it feels like it's too easy to just run away or stand there and keep swinging when you fuck up an assassination attempt, just because he is so tanky.

I've been playing a lot of Phantom. Lot's of fun, but he is maybe a tiny bit imbalanced. I feel like if he just had 100 or 110 health instead of the 120 he has now, he would be fine. It's still early though, so these are just first impressions.

Right now it feels like it's too easy to just run away or stand there and keep swinging when you fuck up an assassination attempt, just because he is so tanky.

110 vs 120. 6s cooldown vs 8s. I'd imagine these are the type of tweaks we might see.

Also, the SMGs themselves are likely to be balanced. I don't expect anything drastic so far, other than the rotation speed thing.

Arkam

Welcome to Dirty Bomb. Name of the game is imbalance. The mercs are not balanced against each other which makes 1 vs 1 engagements a waste if you chose poorly. Then to compound that problem there are no control mechanic that keeps team from being too unbalanced due to merc selection.

All problems we talked about on the forums over a year ago pre-steam. Still waiting on SD to address...

Welcome to Dirty Bomb. Name of the game is imbalance. The mercs are not balanced against each other which makes 1 vs 1 engagements a waste if you chose poorly. Then to compound that problem there are no control mechanic that keeps team from being too unbalanced due to merc selection.

All problems we talked about on the forums over a year ago pre-steam. Still waiting on SD to address...

Hence it being a team based game. It wouldn't be balanced around 1v1 unless it was something else.

Arkam

Hence it being a team based game. It wouldn't be balanced around 1v1 unless it was something else.

I do agree with that idea. A medic or engineer should not be able to take out a tank or assault class in 1 vs 1 combat. (though in game I see this all the time) That is why I said their needed to be a control mechanic that prevents teams from being lopsided by Merc selection. The game will let your team mates (who you probably dont know) pick mercs that do not work together and create much inferior force compared to the opposing team.

But even still the delta of 'combat effectiveness" from 1 merc to the next is pretty crazy. How often do you see Sawbonez leading the charge in DB? In my experience most of teh time, despite being a support class.

IMHO the biggest way to fix this game is to remove the ability to use 'abiliies' on self. Medics should not be able to heal self and arty/skyhammer shouldn't be able to pickup their own ammo drops. Completely undermines the whole TEAM aspect.

CJbjET8UsAA1VNv.png

This weekend. https://twitter.com/DirtyBomb/status/618931662706057216

I don't even really need creds right now. I still got 100k banked. But that is tempting.

BruteUA

This dev, Exedore, is a real dick, it's hilarious. Live stream, and he is having NONE of the balance questions. A co-worker commented on the stream about where he should get dinner and he was like "who's that?" "it's Toby, you know Toby, he sits across from you." "...Do I?"

Ahhaha, shoe just asked him where he was from and he said "ungh, this question again" and is dodging the question.

That guy was so great. None of that "That's a good question and we'll look into it" crap. Instead, "That's bullshit."

Are they going to patch before the weekend or are they just going to power through and promote the game with double xp while the player reactions are mostly negative?

Firebrand

Ah crap I keep missing these giveaway streams. I see this one is Mon and Wed, are there any other regular streams?

Vintage

Noob question: does loadout cards in the store stay the same or do they change sometime? There's one with nice perks but a weapon I hate. I crafted one card but there's exactly the same card in the store, so I assume there's only predefined cards, not random?

Noob question: does loadout cards in the store stay the same or do they change sometime? There's one with nice perks but a weapon I hate. I crafted one card but there's exactly the same card in the store, so I assume there's only predefined cards, not random?

All the loadouts in the store can be dropped or crafted.

Grief.exe

So boosts stack with double credit weekends I'm guessing?

Yes.

If I remember correctly, you get your 'participation' credits from the game, which are doubled due to the weekend, and then the booster doubles that number.

So you can amass credits relatively quickly.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Those are the loadouts. They said if they change the loadouts on future cards your previously unlocked cards will stay the same. Guns do get tweaked sometimes, but that's independent of cards.

Top Bottom