• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirty Bomb open beta thread

So with fast characters coming into the rotation I need to work out the best ways of dealing with them since I'm unlikely to be headshotting them with burst rifles. My current method is fletcher with his sticky nades since it can one shot them and also deals with mines and heath stations as a bonus

Dr.Acula

Banned
Under setting, video, advanced, turn off "ONE FRAME INTERVAL"

flsZzjn.png

It improved my aiming 10 fold, no joke. I went from middling to top of the server, craziness.

Unfortunately if makes your FPS plummet HARD, so I had to lower all the settings. Not so bad, it's not very noticeable actually.

chixdiggit

Thoughts on buying the starter pack?
I am enjoying the game and would kind of rather spend my gold on crafting cards and cases than new characters.
Still, the characters I really want are not even in the bundle.

Grief.exe

Under setting, video, advanced, turn off "ONE FRAME INTERVAL"

flsZzjn.png

It improved my aiming 10 fold, no joke. I went from middling to top of the server, craziness.

Unfortunately if makes your FPS plummet HARD, so I had to lower all the settings. Not so bad, it's not very noticeable actually.

That's an interesting setting. I max out my monitor's refresh rate (144), so I'd imagine any frame drops would be irrelevant.

Dr.Acula

Banned
That's an interesting setting. I max out my monitor's refresh rate (144), so I'd imagine any frame drops would be irrelevant.

Try it out, I went from 110 fps to about 50 with max settings, so it's doing something drastic. I got it back up to above 70 on low settings, so with my i5-750/GTX770/60Hz I'm pretty happy. The aim feel improvement is substantial. A little more screen tearing with v-sync off but it's not as bad as other games. It's only occasional and very minor.

NIN90

Quoting the OneFrameThreadLag section in Crossfire.nu's Settings Guide

This command touches both your FPS and Input, in simple terms if you have this setting on =True in your ShooterEngine.ini your FPS gets a massive boost(as big as 30-50 more). It does this however at the cost of very minor input lag. In most scenarios, this input lag is not noticeable to any degree! However on some systems the input lag can be very noticeable to a degree where it is not worth the FPS boost. Most, if not all, players I know have this command on =True for the FPS boost. The basic 'guideline' here seems to be: "if with =True your FPS is above 100 the lag won't be noticed". So I would suggest having this on =True unless even with this you still have a bad FPS, but in that case it's likely your system is just outdated and the game won't run well whatever you do.

So YMMV

Firebrand

Is there a fix for the horribly laggy menus?
Is it the mouse cursor lagging? Don't know if there's an option for hardware cursor but that usually helps. Also try disabling Vsync.

I have a weirder issue, with the loadout roulette upon opening a case: It appears to "hitch" or jump backwards slightly once in a while. Not exactly a problem but it's weird.

Surprisingly demanding game, I've only really tried running max but I drop below 60 when a lot of stuff is going on 7702GB / i7 4770. Also get periodic hitches regardless of what's going on.

Arkam

Is it the mouse cursor lagging? Don't know if there's an option for hardware cursor but that usually helps. Also try disabling Vsync.

I have a weirder issue, with the loadout roulette upon opening a case: It appears to "hitch" or jump backwards slightly once in a while. Not exactly a problem but it's weird.

Surprisingly demanding game, I've only really tried running max but I drop below 60 when a lot of stuff is going on 7702GB / i7 4770. Also get periodic hitches regardless of what's going on.

game is not very optimized and has tons of issues depending on your hardware setup.
Seen laptops that run it smooth as butter and power rigs that destroy Witcher 3 brought to a crawl with DB. You either get lucky, have sh!t performance or use a community sourced config setup (which makes game look like crap, but play well). If you hold your breath waiting for SD to fix it you will be loooong dead.

Honestly, I am not usually the melee or stealth fan in fps, but I am kinda looking forward to phantom because he is very different from other mercs due to the stealth mechanic. I'm gonna buy him immediately (got 150k credits now anyway).

As for optimization issues, I definitely feel like the game is borderline unplayable for me in 7v7 or 8v8. In 6v6 it is very playable and generally 60-90fps for me. It dips and stutters at times which is the real issue with the game's optimization atm I think. Even in 7v7 I hit up to 90fps but once I get into a gun fight it drops to 40 which makes it very difficult to aim with.

Goddammit! Three games today ruined by half of my team, on offense, playing useless snipers. What joy can you possibly get out of playing Vassili if you can't even aim?

Nah no cursor issue its everything else. fraps shows 54-60 fps but simple actions like dragging a merc to active spot or changing cards makes it seem like my system cant hang.

Had a guy on my team aimbotting and complaining about how bad everyone else was doing. :l Beautiful.

I just need 2000 more to unlock Sparks.

impact

Banned
Cheaters in this game just don't seem to even care about how obvious they are.

Usually happens in F2P games. If someone is a terrible person, why wouldn't they cheat and be blatant as fuck? They can just make a free Steam account and play the game again asap if they even ban people in this game.

I guess phantom isn't coming out today?
cry.gif

I am really interested in seeing how he works out with the new shield mechanic.

I now have enough credits for him, stoker, and phoenix. BRING 'EM SD/NX!

Spookie

I've had a beta key for this for a year and not played it. Finally played this last night and opened my guaranteed cobalt case. I opened it and got a sniper card.

I fucking hate snipers. :'(

Well at least the game is fun, but I find the monetisation to be fairly shitty.

Moobabe

I've had a beta key for this for a year and not played it. Finally played this last night and opened my guaranteed cobalt case. I opened it and got a sniper card.

What's shitty about it? You don't need to spend money on anything

Spookie

What's shitty about it? You don't need to spend money on anything.

I don't need to spend money on anything but if I want to play a character I need to grind for them and then if I want perks I need to get cards to get the loadout I want.

I'm ok with one or the other, but not both- that feels distinctly shitty. I would have preferred a model like TF2. Though I'm spoiled by Valve after playing Dota 2 though.

Moobabe

I don't need to spend money on anything but if I want to play a character I need to grind for them and then if I want perks I need to get cards to get the loadout I want.

I'm ok with one or the other, but not both- that feels distinctly shitty. I would have preferred a model like TF2. Though I'm spoiled by Valve after playing Dota 2 though.

Yeah I know what you mean - I feel the starter pack is a good place to start, but it's a little on the pricey side.

The one thing this game needs (and I'm told is "coming") is the ability to keep weapons/perks you like as you trade up to better cards or high rarities. Nothing is worse than having an amazing weapon on a loadout with shitty perks, trading up and losing the weapon for a couple of decent extras.

Grief.exe

Splash Damage may have to rethink how they display their monetization policies. Many people seem to have this initial impression, but the reality is far different.

If you choose to grind out a character, then you will be swimming in enough upgrade cards to easily craft a 100% competitive loadout. Keep in mind you only need to upgrade to Bronze to have all the perks and the weapons are essentially sidegrades from the starting loadout.

Hold onto that Cobalt, they will implement a trading system at one point.

mkenyon

Banned

To make sure Grief's above post makes absolute sense:

Everything from Bronze and above has the exact same loadouts. The only benefit to silver, gold, cobalt, and obsidian are aesthetics/skins. You can buy the exact loadout you want for something like $3.50. Or just craft a ton of Bronze cards that you will come by naturally through playing. By the time you're really ready for competitive play, you'll have tons of cards for every merc you play.

Kudochop's recommended loadouts:

Arty - D43 (Dreiss/Unshakeable/Spares/Fail Safe), D83 (Dreiss/Chopper/Unshakeable/Extra Ammo)

Aura - BL41 (Blishlok, Getup, Double Time, Extra Supplies), BL72 (Blishlok/Quick Eye/Getup/Cool)

Bushwacker - C41 (KEK-10/Focus/Lock-on/Spares)

Fletcher - BL32 (Blishlok/Fail Safe/Springy/Lock-on), A31 (Ahnuhld/Lock-on/Tough/Double Time)

Fragger - M62 (M4A1/Cool/Unshakeable/Explody), K51 (K121/Cool/Drilled/Focus), M93 (M4A1/Sneaky/Focus/Explody)

Kira - D43 (Dreiss/Cool/Extra Supplies/Quick Draw)

Nader - CR72 (Crotzni/Double Time/Focus/Cool)

Proxy - KE53 (Hochfir/Guardian Angel/Drilled/Quick Draw)

Sawbonez - CR73 (Crotzni/Getup/Potent Packs/Mechanic), CR81 (Crotzni/Extra Supplies/Focus/Chopper)

Skyhammer - T63 (Timik-47/Explody/Fail Safe/Quick Slash), M92 (M4A1/Guardian Angel/Explody/Drilled)

Sparks - 382 (Empire-9/Extra Supplies/Potent Packs/Sneaky), 143 (MP400/Cool/Drilled/Getup)

Vassili - Please stop here, there are so many other mercs to enjoy and you might even learn how to play the game properly.

Vassili - Please stop here, there are so many other mercs to enjoy and you might even learn how to play the game properly.

Vassili is actually a really strong defensive player, especially on Underground. He's almost worthless on offense, but he has a lot more merit than the people playing him would suggest.

Vassili is actually a really strong defensive player, especially on Underground. He's almost worthless on offense, but he has a lot more merit than the people playing him would suggest.

People complain all the time that vasilli is actually just too good with the instagib from headshot kills. I don't think most people think he is weak. But when there are too many of him, it is hard to win a match/round.

mkenyon

Banned
It's just Kudos being funny cause he hates snipers.

A single shot instagib with no chance to revive is kind of game breaking though, given all the mechanics at play. His playstyle, in general, is at odds with the entire game.

He's widely considered OP. RedEye and Phantom should probably change that meta though.

Found this little gem today about a potential issue with framerates with a solution:

INF3RN0 said:
Set the HUD alpha in 'game settings' to 0 and suddenly the game feels incredibly smooth and becomes waaaaaaaaaaay more stable! People were telling me that the HUD functions separately from the game itself, which must be true. This isn't placebo, it is literally night and day. I spent the entire night playing with no HUD or crosshair just because it was the first time in at least a year that I've been able to play DB smoothly. Please look into this asap SD tech guys and I will love you forever, I just can't believe that after all this time it was the HUD that was the culprit for the low fps feeling and visual stuttering.
http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/44818-Dirty-Bomb-low-fps-feel-SOLVED

This is a dev's comment
Smooth said:
We're currently looking into this as an urgent priority.

I'll be trying this out in game in a little bit.

Here is a guide on how to get a crosshair via the VOIP mumble which is capable of adding a crosshair if you choose to try this solution (or simply want a custom crosshair). http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=470015172

edit:
I believe this actually works. So I hope SD gets on this to help reduce microstutters in the game. It is crazy trying to play the game without the HUD. No crosshair, health, ammo, etc., is a real additional layer of challenge. I still managed to top score in both games I played though, lol!

bbd23

wasn't expecting much from this game but its super fun. its my go to game when my friends don't want to play DOTA anymore :p

It's just Kudos being funny cause he hates snipers.

A single shot instagib with no chance to revive is kind of game breaking though, given all the mechanics at play. His playstyle, in general, is at odds with the entire game.

He's widely considered OP. RedEye and Phantom should probably change that meta though.

Okay, that makes more sense. A lot of people I play with complain when people use him because most of the players sniping aren't really winning the game, just getting a nice K/D.

Vassili being OP makes more sense.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Nader in free rotation? Oh this is going to be a shitshow of a week for DB :/

Nader/Proxy/Sparks is actually a really good combo to run around with. I'm almost compelled to play with it.

Sparks is crazy weak though, you really need to hang back. I like her revive gun on offense though, it's pretty great as a sniper gun.

Top Bottom