• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Tovarisc

I can't finish the Clockwork Mansion mission. I just can't.
I can't sneak past those Clockwork Soldiers to kidnap the target, and if I try killing them they go aggro and kill the target themselves.
I can't find a way to effectively deal with these things and it's driving me insane.

You know what? I'm done. I'm clearly not in the right mindset to play this game right now, as I'm just getting more and more frustrated the more it goes on.

I'll come back once I've cleared some other games from my plate.

How to pull it off;
Sleepdart target and then rewire one out of two clockworks. It will ignore sleeping target, but will kill another clockwork.

But I agree, shitty mission for 100% stealth & no-kills runners. If you think spoilered bit blows you are in for real mindfuck little later in the mission.

Fletcher

Really just started, but is there going to be anyway for me to track people's movement by like marking them or anything? Sitting in a corner blind and hoping that guard isn't there anymore when you pop out is getting pretty frustrating.

How to pull it off;
Sleepdart target and then rewire one out of two clockworks. It will ignore sleeping target, but will kill another clockwork.

But I agree, shitty mission for 100% stealth & no-kills runners. If you think spoilered bit blows you are in for real mindfuck little later in the mission.

I actually pulled it off a bit later, out of sheer luck.

I'm so disappointed in this game, holy shit. I thought it was a shoe-in.

Tovarisc

I actually pulled it off a bit later, out of sheer luck.

I'm so disappointed in this game, holy shit. I thought it was a shoe-in.

Mission before Clockwork was good and mission after feels really good. I think they had this idea about changing layout that player has control over. Then designed mission around it no matter what, resulting in somewhat forced and bad map design.

Mission before Clockwork was good and mission after feels really good. I think they had this idea about changing layout that player has control over. Then designed mission around it no matter what, resulting in somewhat forced and bad map design.

I did enjoy the previous mission. I hope I'm done with this one quick enough, then.

CHC

Another review

"...they can't patch out just how half-assed the whole things feels. It's a lazy sequel that doesn't do all that much to improve the formula from the previous game."

Seems very ridiculous. Introducing an entire new city and a second playable character feels anything but "half-assed" to me, and I think the formula of the first game was very near perfect when you consider what it aimed to achieve. I wouldn't really want a sequel any other way to be honest. My only criticisms would concern the slightly abrupt intro sequence, but that's pretty minor considering how quickly things open shortly after.

Jharp

I can't hammer down mouse control on PC. It just feels off. Friction on/off both feel just a little bad, vsync off, mouse smoothing off.

Anyone else?

Tovarisc

I did enjoy the previous mission. I hope I'm done with this one quick enough, then.

For rest of the mission if you want spoilery tips;
When carrying Sokolov out there is only one way out of the mansion, at least as far I was able to find. It's same door that you used to enter mansion. Now it's guarded by three Clockworks. For longest time I tried to sneak through, but it just wasn't happening. I ended up risking it and used crossbow to shoot of heads of clockworks. This made them attack each other so 2 out of 3 died, last one blind because no head. Was able to get past undetected. Make your way into the walls because it allows you to get over the room where those three Clockworks are, makes for easier time to shoot off their heads without being detected.

dishonored2_2016_11_1jvs2p.png

I can't hammer down mouse control on PC. It just feels off. Friction on/off both feel just a little bad, vsync off, mouse smoothing off.

Anyone else?

DO NOT QUOTE BECAUSE SPOILER

Did you disable mouse smoothing in config file?

From performance thread;
Actually disable mouse smoothing: Open C:\Users\[account name]\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\dishonored2\base\dishonored2Config.cfg and change the value of g_mouseSmooth to "0", or add it if it's missing.

Really just started, but is there going to be anyway for me to track people's movement by like marking them or anything? Sitting in a corner blind and hoping that guard isn't there anymore when you pop out is getting pretty frustrating.

I don't think you can mark people but I use Dark Vision a lot and upgraded it to see people's patrol and destination points.

Editing to say I'm playing as Emily right now. Her version of the power has like a radar pulse that goes out. I don't remember Corvo's doing that in the first game. It makes it harder to detect people outside of your immediate vicinity but is still serving it's purpose.

Also don't forget you can lean around corners/cover and guards will usually still not see you, at least at lower difficulty settings.

For rest of the mission if you want spoilery tips;
When carrying Sokolov out there is only one way out of the mansion, at least as far I was able to find. It's same door that you used to enter mansion. Now it's guarded by three Clockworks. For longest time I tried to sneak through, but it just wasn't happening. I ended up risking it and used crossbow to shoot of heads of clockworks. This made them attack each other so 2 out of 3 died, last one blind because no head. Was able to get past undetected. Make your way into the walls because it allows you to get over the room where those three Clockworks are, makes for easier time to shoot off their heads without being detected.

I'd actually done that before. Didn't manage to do it undetected, though.

CHC

Anyone else?

Yeah it's a problem for everyone, mouse is really wonky. Harvey Smith has been rally active on Twitter and says they're working on fixes for mouse, CPU propriety, and general performance. No ETA yet.

haikira

Does the camera movement feel a bit drifty to anyone else?

Haven't had a chance to personally test this, as I'm still waiting to get out of work to play, but the tip below regarding aim latency may help it feel better.

it's pretty terrible by default imo, but there is an option in the controls that lets you reduce what they call "friction" which i find eliminates it.

Anung

Un Rama
Haven't had a chance to personally test this, as I'm still waiting to get out of work to play, but the tip below regarding aim latency may help it feel better.

That is excellent! Thanks very much.

I'm yet to pick even decide who to pick. I'd like Corvo for continuity but I imagine I'll be maining that character so maybe I'll start with Emily.

carlsojo

So does freaking out civilians count against ghosting a level because (mission 2 sidequest)
I had to take an absolutely stupid route to take this body where it needed to go without freaking out any civilians in the nearby market.

Hey protip for this sidequest and how to avoid civilians because it took me forever to figure this out:

Take the body to the roof of the building where you're supposed to meet Mindy. Drop the body off the roof into the dark alley. Climb down like normal and go grab that body and Mindy's like three feet away.

thenexus6

I've had pretty much zero performance issues on standard PS4. Only annoying thing is the graphics are blurry at times, and there's like weird white specs on some textures.

carlsojo

Yeah pure stealth is really hard. I'm playing on hard but think I will bump it back down to normal as it's becoming frustrating.

The intro level in particular is very hard at first because there's not a lot you can do without powers, but once you get to Karnaca proper the world and your abilities open up and everything is more manageable.

If I get detected often, but don't actually kill anyone, does that still raise my chaos level?

Nope. Only kills count towards raising your chaos. You can actually be as unstealthy as you want, there's even a new nonlethal takedown counter in swordfights.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hey protip for this sidequest and how to avoid civilians because it took me forever to figure this out:

Take the body to the roof of the building where you're supposed to meet Mindy. Drop the body off the roof into the dark alley. Climb down like normal and go grab that body and Mindy's like three feet away.

Totally ended up doing this after like 5-6 tries to tendril-blink in various locations.

Worked like a charm, lol. Can't believe I didn't think about it earlier.

Majin Boo

So my copy just arrived, any recommendations which character is more fun to use for a high difficulty full stealth run with no kills?

BriGuy

I got a PS4pro yesterday, but have this downloading on my PC because I thought the 980ti would be able to handle it better. Did I fuck up?

Tovarisc

So my copy just arrived, any recommendations which character is more fun to use for a high difficulty full stealth run with no kills?

Corvo most likely is tad easier because his blink goes in linear line where Emily's has odd arc to it, so you don't always end up where you wanted to or hit geometry at random dropping you short.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Honestly, probably Corvo.

Emily's powers are cool, but do not necessarily seem geared towards stealth in the same way that blink, possession, and time stop allow you in terms of options. For example, Tendril-blink doesn't have you instantly moving, there's 'travel time' in which enemies can see you during the movement. (or at least, It's appeared that way, I can't confirm 100%)

She has some, don't get me wrong (such as mesmerize and obviously Domino effect), but thus far, when playing as Emily compared to Corvo in the first game, Corvo's power set seems more optimal for no-detect stealth.

Tovarisc

Emily's powers are cool, but do not necessarily seem geared towards stealth in the same way that blink, possession, and time stop allow you in terms of options. For example, Tendril-blink doesn't have you instantly moving, there's 'travel time' in which enemies can see you during the movement. (or at least, It's appeared that way, I can't confirm 100%)

She has some, don't get me wrong (such as mesmerize and obviously Domino effect), but thus far, when playing as Emily compared to Corvo in the first game, Corvo's power set seems more optimal for no-detect stealth.

There is bonecharm that makes her invisible for duration of tendril-blinks movement, so if you are sloppy with that ability you can be seen mid-air by guards.

Teggy

Ha, in mission 3 I mistakenly killed some guards because
I left the door open to the sleeping dogs and I guess they got up and some point and got out? I got the special objective of letting the dogs loose on the guards so that's the only thing I can think of.

I've been going for all (or almost all) of the power-up items and getting some of those without putting yourself in some danger requires patience I don't have, so I'm not worrying about fully ghosting the game right now. I can always do a playthrough where I bypass danger and go straight to the objectives.

black070

I need some help with chapter 8 real quick if possible -
What's the best way to get into the Duke's vault ? The two options are going directly, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to disable the alarm system, or the secret passage, which again I can't tell how to access ?

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT - I figured it out :p
the secret passage opens by a button just to the left of it.

I was honestly hooked from minute I started the game and I only just arrived at
addermire Institute
. I've disabled quest markers, and I'm just so immersed in these environments, sneaking around slowly, but deliberately. There's something thrilling about moving unseen. And the level design really is just fantastic.

I grappled up the side of a stair case, level by level to remain out of sight instead of using anelevator that was also availble, which proved to be wise. I was then sitting up on a chandelier, watching two enemies shoot dice. I dominoed them together, then I used the 2nd level of emily's grab, picked up a wine bottle and chucked it down the stairs. They split up, and I knocked one guard out, walked down a level and picked up the other guard and put them out on an elevated platform never out of AI vision. This really is just the beginning of the game and I'm happy and impressed at how well the puzzle-solving sim philosophy from D1 has held up.

Teggy

Other than performance issues on PC, most impressions I've seen have been overwhelmingly positive.

Yeah, I am on Chapter 4 and think it's pretty great, much like the first one. I also have not really had any issues on PC. I'd say my only gripe is that guard senses seem a little supernatural, but that's just gameplay you need to adjust to.

Teggy

Is there a tutorial in the beginning of the Campaign or should I play the Tutorial first thats in the menu?

If you start the campaign it will ask you if you want to play the tutorial or skip it. Not sure why they did it that way because it's confusing.

Vic_Viper

If you start the campaign it will ask you if you want to play the tutorial or skip it. Not sure why they did it that way because it's confusing.

ok thanks, going through the Tutorial now since its been awhile since ive played the first.

What sensitivity settings are people using on the console version? It feels way too slow imo at the default option.

Wow its surprising seeing negative impressions and reviews like ACG (karak) given how great the original was.

It sounds like perhaps the game needed a little more time to be finished but bethesda wanted it out for the holiday release window...

I still plan on buying the game at some point, have a huge backlog right now of great games already out and coming out shortly

teokrazia

Played a couple of hours and put it on hold [I wanna replay the first one before].
Besides the awful PC performance, I really didn't like the very inconsistent AI, collisions [melee sometimes is pure BS] and the glitchy level of polishing. Definitely not the Dishonored 2 I was dreaming about.

Art and level design seem stellar though.

black070

Has the Pro update been detailed yet ? It's been looking and running really well so curious to find out what exactly has been enhanced.

CHC

Hmmm....impressions seem...mixed?

The game itself seems to be the kind of sequel that fans of the first game expected and deserved. It's just that there are some tech / polish issues that are marring that experience slightly right now.

Majin Boo

Corvo most likely is tad easier because his blink goes in linear line where Emily's has odd arc to it, so you don't always end up where you wanted to or hit geometry at random dropping you short.

Corvo it is then, thanks guys!

Top Bottom