• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

d00d3n

The suspense in mission 5 is killing me. Seriously, it is worse than Alien: Isolation. I haven't touched the game in several days because I am afraid
of getting kills in my non-lethal run due to their incompetence at bug testing :(

Bought a PS4 Pro and Dishonored 2 after being really disappointed with the graphics on Xbox One.

The blurriness is gone. The terrible framiness when taking the skiff in to Karnaca is gone. Praise be!

Meader

Just reloaded my save on the PS4 and my vertical look keeps aiming downwards slowly by itself. Anyone know of a fix for this? Tried changing the sensitivity settings on the controller and turning the controller off/on but it still happens.

usp84

The game is super long.

I have 19 hours and i am on chapter 6 still.I chose Emily because it fits more in my opinion.

Her powers are really interesting especially the upgraded Far Reach.Really enjoying the game so far.

Just got the game yesterday. Enjoying it so far.

Question: After you leave Dunwall Tower and get to the streets, you can enter the ground floor of one building that looks like it's collapsing.

The main door is broken down and inside there is a big hole in the roof and in the roofs of the floors above it.

Is there any way of getting up to the other floors? I'm jumping on everything to try and get through the collapsed roof/

dyergram

Ok so mission 7 was pretty amazing I've completely abandoned stealth now though everybody dies. I'm really into throwing people's heads into a room full of guards to let them know what's up.

Timeaisis

How people beat this in 12 hours confounds me. Just got to the last mission and at 23.5 hours. And I still missed quite a bit.

Mission 8 wasn't the game's best. The first area
(pre-mansion)
was fantastic, but the
mansion
was nothing spectacular. Kind of a confusing level design and not a whole lot of verticality and multiple pathways like some other places. Anyway, onwards to the last mission!

ghostwich

Question: After you leave Dunwall Tower and get to the streets, you can enter the ground floor of one building that looks like it's collapsing.

The main door is broken down and inside there is a big hole in the roof and in the roofs of the floors above it.

Is there any way of getting up to the other floors? I'm jumping on everything to try and get through the collapsed roof/

Yes you can reach it.

Zesh

How people beat this in 12 hours confounds me. Just got to the last mission and at 23.5 hours. And I still missed quite a bit.
Really just depends on how you play. My first run, where I explored every nook and cranny of every area, took about 40 hours. My next run, where I mostly stuck to the mission objectives, took 5 hours.

d00d3n

Go back to the start of the level (outdoors)

Decent, but feels sub-30 fps at times, which can be frustrating. However, the frame hit when you pull out that mission-specific special item in mission 5ish... Total slideshow.

It's really frustrating that Digital Foundry is so obsessed with testing every single PS4 Pro patch in the world that they can't even do the basics for a major new release like Dishonored 2.

Blobbers

Decent, but feels sub-30 fps at times, which can be frustrating. However, the frame hit when you pull out that mission-specific special item in mission 5ish... Total slideshow.

I think I know what you're talking about. I wonder if they'll be able to even fix it due to the mechanics. I wanna wait, but the positive reception is swaying me

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay what the FUCK at the random
zombie thing
near the bloodflies in the apartment near the start of mission 5. Scared the hell out of me.

This game is so creepy, but in a good way.

Jb

Pretty simple really. I feel like about half the game is purely optional content, and in Dishonored optional content means entire segments of levels filled with runes and side objectives. If you just follow the critical path you'll be done with the game in under 10 hours.

seph1roth

Wait this game has bugs with the kill count?

I'm always checking the game statistics and currently i have 0 kills 0 alerts but if those numbers are bugged i don't know why i'm still playing it like this...

d00d3n

Quoting myself because I think I have this figured out.

Mission 5 related

Alright, after being pissed about this all yesterday morning and afternoon, and saying I'd wait, I spent the evening going through the level and testing a couple of scenarios and think I figured out the issue.

To finish non lethal you must keep one npc ( civilians/BM npc not tested) conscious, outside of the conservatory, that is Not either of the two witches in the side alley behind the bar.

This didn't work when I left 3 witches conscious inside and the two alley ones conscious. When I did it this way it showed one credited kill. Leaving one guard or one witch(4 of them in front of the building outside) I was able to get non lethal credit.

Those two witches end up dead in the alley, after leaving the conservatory 8 total guards spawn 4 by conservatory, 4 near beginning of the level. Those 4 near the conservatory are leaving the bar and I think they kill the two witches in the alley, backdoor was open and I'm pretty sure I had closed it, which makes me think they path through there. Or those two are just bugged.

Also, unrelated, if you are nonlethal, after finishing last quest npc in conservatory, to return to meagen, use a stun mine on the npc, then loot. Knocking out doesn't work with choke or dart. Just in case you, like me, didn't think much of reading one of the found notes.

I just wanted to check back in and say what worked for me to avoid killing enemies in mission 5. I got one kill after completing the non-lethal path in the conservatory. Someone posted on reddit (I think) that you could avoid the kill by checking all the unconscious bodies that you have left behind, finding the dead ones, reloading, and going to those exact bodies and administering sleep darts to them (even if it would be the second time), after which you can complete the non-lethal path without killing anyone. This worked for me. The NPC making trouble was one of the enemies from the conservatory that attack you during an ambush earlier in the level.

Zesh

Wait this game has bugs with the kill count?

I'm always checking the game statistics and currently i have 0 kills 0 alerts but if those numbers are bugged i don't know why i'm still playing it like this...
If the numbers are 0, you're fine.

The bug is that some actions can erroneously kill enemies. This is most commonly seen in the non-lethal method in mission 5; if that bug occurs, you'll see the kill count increase in the stats screen.

Karak

Eurogamer also gave it their gold 'essential' seal of approval. Very impressive reviews overall. The two more critical reviews I've seen were ACG and Kotaku, neither of whom do
scored reviews, but they also had a lot of good things to say about the game (and the technical issues definitely deserve mention).

Ya I rated it a Wait for a Sale. Thats not a bad score. Just indicates at the time I reviewed it I wasn't comfortable telling others to rush out at that price at that time.

Still playing chapter 1 on ps4 OG. Noticing an annoying graphical glitch occurring in indoor environments. It's like this "stitching" (for want of a better term) effect where you can see white jagged lines running where the walls connect to the roof and things like that. Very distracting.

Azzanadra

Just got the game- kind of worried with the tepid reviews you guys are giving it in this thread that its just "good" and not "great", which is at odds with the incredibly high critical scores. I mean damn, it has an 88 on meta critic which is quite impressive in a post 7th gen inflation world.

I did get it for 50 bucks tho (thank you blessed best buy reward zone) so it doesn't feel like I wasted too much money if its not that good. For reference, games with tax here in Canada are 90 bucks so I got it almost at half price.

Razmos

Game crashed when I was at the observatory or whatever and a witch Fus Ro Dah'd me.

I am enjoying the game so far, but the blood flies don't really pose as much of a threat as the rat plague in the original. And there isn't really any "oh wow" moments, like the robots showed up with no fanfare, and now witches and zombie dogs, and bloodfly zombies, all the while Emily makes no real mention of them at all. There's no sense of build up, or threat, or a sense of wonder. They are just "there" and it's boring.

SilentFlyer

Just reloaded my save on the PS4 and my vertical look keeps aiming downwards slowly by itself. Anyone know of a fix for this? Tried changing the sensitivity settings on the controller and turning the controller off/on but it still happens.

I had same issue with my right analog stick as well. Ended up changing the sensor. And to me your case seems the same. You can check the vid here. However, blow into your right analog stick and see if that works.

Finished the game, took me 17 hours in total. Is it just me or is the ending shorter and less detailed than the first one? Nevertheless, great game, really love playing as Emily. Might go with her again on a New Game+ run after the patch drops, getting all of her powers and turning the difficulty up. I think I'll do full lethal this time, tried being sneaky and being low chaos for half the game but gave up so I didn't have the chance to enjoy using all the wanton slaughter enabling abilities.

SJRB

Gold Member
Still playing chapter 1 on ps4 OG. Noticing an annoying graphical glitch occurring in indoor environments. It's like this "stitching" (for want of a better term) effect where you can see white jagged lines running where the walls connect to the roof and things like that. Very distracting.

Yeah I noticed that several times as well, PS4Pro version here. Especially apparant in the first chapter, it gets better after that but still occurs every now and then.

thenexus6

Yep, I had this the entire game on OG PS4

RedAssedApe

Banned

at least i know this isn't a pro specific issue.

mjp2417

Banned
Finished the game, took me 17 hours in total. Is it just me or is the ending shorter and less detailed than the first one? Nevertheless, great game, really love playing as Emily. Might go with her again on a New Game+ run after the patch drops, getting all of her powers and turning the difficulty up. I think I'll do full lethal this time, tried being sneaky and being low chaos for half the game but gave up so I didn't have the chance to enjoy using all the wanton slaughter enabling abilities.

I don't remember much about the first game's ending but this one's felt pretty perfunctory. This series has such a weird mix of inspired, attentive worldbuilding and half-assed main plots and characters. Still, it's an absolutely brilliant game and Chapter 7 is the best level in any game this year.

YaBish

Just beat it. Sixteen hours, and not a single soul saw me. The non-lethal method to the final boss fight was especially clever and took me forever to figure out.

Can't wait to dive back in as Corvo for a slightly less non-lethal run.

Easily my GOTY.

Edit: feel I should mention I feel extremely lucky, as I didn't have any issues with bugs on my playthrough, even as I was playing non-lethal ghost as Emily.

carlsojo

The game is super long.

I have 19 hours and i am on chapter 6 still.I chose Emily because it fits more in my opinion.

Her powers are really interesting especially the upgraded Far Reach.Really enjoying the game so far.

Well, your mileage varies a lot depending on what you do. For example, you can skip almost the entirety of Chapter 1 by
riding the train.
and you can skip the Dust District level just by
solving the riddle yourself.
I think I clocked in about 19 hours in my first playthrough but I was slow as fuck and going for ghost/nonlethal. My nonghost lethal run should go much, much faster.

Stoze

Finished the game, took me 17 hours in total. Is it just me or is the ending shorter and less detailed than the first one?

I just got done replaying the first one on high chaos and I'd say the ending is more quick and dirty than the sequel. Especially if you're just talking about
the wrap-up cutscene, Dishonored 1's isn't detailed on your choices at all.

Immersive sim type games seem to always struggle with having a strong and satisfying ending.

YaBish

If they do an expansion again, I want to play as either
Billie Lurk or Daud.
they were kinda setting one up for
Billie, I feel like.

carlsojo

If they do an expansion again, I want to play as either
Billie Lurk or Daud.
they were kinda setting one up for
Billie, I feel like.

Ending spoilers
I got hyped as fuck when I saw that Billie finds Daud (or Daud finds her). Knife of Karnaca DLC?

CHC

Fucking hell the new non-lethal options are soooooooo fun.

Knock out smash from above is amazing, so is the new parry / chokehold combo.

Weaving in both after you've been caught is so fun. Got seen by the Overseers so I jumped on a desk and launched into a knockout from above on one, then parried the other, put him in a chokehold, and hurled him through a glass bookshelf before escaping out the window.

This fucking game man. Worthy sequel, truly.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Ending spoilers
I got hyped as fuck when I saw that Billie finds Daud (or Daud finds her). Knife of Karnaca DLC?

I'd be down with that but I hope they change up his power set a little bit- at least have radically different branches for the powers he shares with Corvo, for example.

Fucking hell the new non-lethal options are soooooooo fun.

Knock out smash from above is amazing, so is the new parry / chokehold combo.

Weaving in both after you've been caught is so fun. Got seen by the Overseers so I jumped on a desk and launched into a knockout from above on one, then parried the other, put him in a chokehold, and hurled him through a glass bookshelf before escaping out the window.

This fucking game man. Worthy sequel, truly.

The slide attacks and being able to put the boot in when they're thrown are great too- parry chokehold would be great if enemies didn't cheerfully murder their own squadmates.

jacobeid

Banned

Does it kind of shimmer? I've noticed that too in Dishonored 2. The only game in recent memory that had this was The Evil Within so I'm inclined to think it's engine related.

carlsojo

I'd be down with that but I hope they change up his power set a little bit- at least have radically different branches for the powers he shares with Corvo, for example.

The slide attacks and being able to put the boot in when they're thrown are great too- parry chokehold would be great if enemies didn't cheerfully murder their own squadmates.

To be honest I wouldn't mind playing as someone totally new. Like a rival witch or something.

Top Bottom