• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Still playing chapter 1 on ps4 OG. Noticing an annoying graphical glitch occurring in indoor environments. It's like this "stitching" (for want of a better term) effect where you can see white jagged lines running where the walls connect to the roof and things like that. Very distracting.

Yeah, it's immensely distracting on the PC when using anything other than TXAA (which almost eliminates it).

SomTervo

D00d3n, are you posting open spoilers from mission 5?

I don't even know what
witches
are or that they were in the game but thanks for spoiling it.

Fucking hell the new non-lethal options are soooooooo fun.

Knock out smash from above is amazing, so is the new parry / chokehold combo.

Weaving in both after you've been caught is so fun. Got seen by the Overseers so I jumped on a desk and launched into a knockout from above on one, then parried the other, put him in a chokehold, and hurled him through a glass bookshelf before escaping out the window.

This fucking game man. Worthy sequel, truly.

100%.

Getting spotted isn't an instant reload any more if you're going non lethal. You can have your ethical cake and eat it, too.

SomTervo

Oh and PS the first game's ending was hilariously brief and insubstantial. I actually laughed when I first finished it. It felt so tacked on.

Don't get me wrong, they clearly focused on the journey over the ending and I love them for that. Some great stuff throughout both these games.

d00d3n

I don't even know what
witches

100%.

Getting spotted isn't an instant reload any more if you're going non lethal. You can have your ethical cake and eat it, too.

Sorry, didn't think of it as a spoiler. I edited my post.

hollomat

Banned
Beat the game and enjoyed it for the most part, but there were a few things that really soured me. Both involving surprise one hit kills.

Final boss:
WIth no warning or anything after you beat the replicas, you get close to Delilah and she has a one hit kill move. Also, what was the corrupted rune on the throne supposed to do? It didn't seem to make the painting turn against her at all.

Second to last mission
A few of the rooms had lightning cores that if you got close to them would instantly kill them. You haven't encountered them before or been told about them and they just one hit kill you out of no where.

I also played the game like a complete animal. Whether it was guards, dogs or civilians in my path, they all died. No one was left alive in any mission if they could be killed.

Zesh

Final boss:
WIth no warning or anything after you beat the replicas, you get close to Delilah and she has a one hit kill move. Also, what was the corrupted rune on the throne supposed to do? It didn't seem to make the painting turn against her at all.

Second to last mission
A few of the rooms had lightning cores that if you got close to them would instantly kill them. You haven't encountered them before or been told about them and they just one hit kill you out of no where.
Regarding the final boss,
the corrupt rune is used for the non-lethal method: you knock her out in the painting and then place her body on the throne. It doesn't do anything if you choose to kill her.

Regarding the penultimate mission,
there's also an arc pylon in mission 4; they were in the original game as well.

Stoze

A trick I figured out about the final boss, guessing it's well known by now though:

You can skip the entire fight with Delilah and her clones. After coming into the painting, go onto the left platform just behind one of the clones. Look back up in the sky and you can just barely see her performing magic. Shoot a crossbow bolt directly at her head and she's done (maybe two if yours isn't upgraded). Some screens below:

Dmax3901

Ok so I plan to play as Emily, and the first people I came across it just felt right to the kill them, contextually anyway, it seemed like it was them or her so it made sense. Now I'm in Karnaca and I'm just knocking them out, but it kinda feels pointless cause I won't get the achievement for killing no-one... How do you guys get passed that psychologically, should I just stop worrying about achievements?

Stoze

Ok so I plan to play as Emily, and the first people I came across it just felt right to the kill them, contextually anyway, it seemed like it was them or her so it made sense. Now I'm in Karnaca and I'm just knocking them out, but it kinda feels pointless cause I won't get the achievement for killing no-one... How do you guys get passed that psychologically, should I just stop worrying about achievements?

Go with your gut and don't worry about achievements. You can always try to play through a level completely non-lethally if you feel like it, and it'll be reflected in the stats screen that pops up at the end of each level. That way you can still kinda get your chievo fix.

CHC

Don't get me wrong, they clearly focused on the journey over the ending and I love them for that. Some great stuff throughout both these games.

Yeah, story has never been the strongest suit of Dishonored, but instead the world and the moment-to-moment decisions you make as you work your way through the levels.

The sequel is really no different. I'd place the plot slightly lower than 1 only because 2 spends so much more time on it. The first game VERY quickly set up a conflict and then kinda just got out of the way and let you exact your revenge without much interference.

Yeah honestly, first time through, don't even worry about it. Just pick and choose who lives and dies by however you're feeling. If you want to get the platinum you'll have to play the game quite a few times anyway (well, at least 2 I guess), so you might as well just have unrestrained fun the first time through.

hollomat

Banned
Regarding the final boss,
the corrupt rune is used for the non-lethal method: you knock her out in the painting and then place her body on the throne. It doesn't do anything if you choose to kill her.

Regarding the penultimate mission,
there's also an arc pylon in mission 4; they were in the original game as well.

Ah. I'd beaten dishonored as well but the stuff in the penultimate mission still surprised me. I'm just not a fan of the insta kill. If it took off 80% of your hp but you couldn't still react I'd be ok with it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

The game is built to facilitate whatever playstyle you bring to it: lethal or non-lethal, ghost or Rambo, systemic or narrative.

I like to play stealth games without killing people or getting spotted, mainly for the challenge and puzzle aspect, but I turned down the powers because I felt it fit the narrative as I saw it (guile hero vs all-powerful magical antagonist). I'm having a blast.

You'll enjoy this more if you play how you feel like; the way that resonates with you the most. You're better off ignoring the virtual pats on the head, they're simply arbitrary concessions to standard gaming practices. You can always come back for them later should it take your fancy.

bunkitz

Holy fuck, A Crack in the Slab (mission 7) is fucking awesome. Wish I had my powers, but it's pretty nice, as a challenge, having to rely on my natural abilities. Plus, it really helps me not rely on Dark Vision.

Tried Bonecharm crafting, and it's really neat, but it's not too useful yet since I don't have that much really useful bonecharms... especially since Strong Arms is bugged.

I guess if I don't have the Craft Runes power I can't do non-lethal in the final mission?

I didn't put anything into crafting Bonecharms as I read it was not worth it :(

Damn

I don't even know what
witches

erm witches where in dishonored 1 and make an appearance 5 minutes into this one, so its kinda obvious they are going to be part of the game......

Bethell

Got to chapter 4 thinking i'd not killed anyone, check the stats and i've killed 3? What the fuck. I have absolutley no idea how/when/where. Time to restart.

Zesh

I guess if I don't have the Craft Runes power I can't do non-lethal in the final mission?

I didn't put anything into crafting Bonecharms as I read it was not worth it :(

Damn
You don't
need Craft Runes to create the corrupt rune. Simply gather the required items in the room and put them on the table.

Also, Bonecharm Crafting is definitely worth it. Trait Synergy allows you to stack an effect four times, which is very useful. You can sneak faster than you can run, for instance.

Got to chapter 4 thinking i'd not killed anyone, check the stats and i've killed 3? What the fuck. I have absolutley no idea how/when/where. Time to restart.

In the middle of a mission, you can check how many enemies you've killed or have spotted you in the Stats screen in the pause menu. Useful if you're going for Shadow or Clean Hands.

You can always check in the menus during the mission how many you've killed so far. First game didn't have this, only stats after the mission, which made nonlethal and no alarm playthrough much harder :p

SomTervo

Sorry, didn't think of it as a spoiler. I edited my post.

Cheers pal.

Welp that's a more important reason than I thought, time to dive back in.

Yeah, I didn't play Dishonored's DLCs and honestly a few plot elements in Dishonored 2 are pretty confusing without them. Sucks for me!

erm witches where in dishonored 1 and make an appearance 5 minutes into this one, so its kinda obvious they are going to be part of the game......

Been years since I played D1. Are they like the Rat Queen? I don't remember the actual word 'witch' being used. Perhaps a faint memory. Still, it's a spoiler saying "in this specific mission there are loads of this enemy type". The joy of Dishonored is not knowing what gameplay situation they'll throw at you next.

Also I'm guessing you mean
Delilah
is a
witch
? I had no idea.

You don't
need Craft Runes to create the corrupt rune. Simply gather the required items in the room and put them on the table.

D'oh!!!

Ach well I just completed it with Low Chaos anyway - my first playthrough was always going to be 'whatever works' - just go with the flow.

Next playthrough will be High Chaos, after that I should be ready for a Ghost run as I should know the levels really well by then.

Anyways, on the whole it was an excellent successor - does everything the original did but better, and with much more options. Level design is tremendous, I do agree with some of the criticism of the narative though in that it was a bit safe/retread of the original, but the gameplay delivered in spades.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You can always check in the menus during the mission how many you've killed so far. First game didn't have this, only stats after the mission, which made nonlethal and no alarm playthrough much harder :p

This is particularly important as for some bizarre reason it's no longer possible to restart a mission upon completing it, so if you don't realise until the end that you were spotted/inadvertently killed someone/missed a collectable*, you better hope you have a recent save.

* As far as collectables are concerned, the stats screen just tracks gold you've found. And only that -- it's not expressed as a portion of the total in the level.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone going for a Flesh and Steel (no powers) playthrough? If so, how is it? On what difficulty?

Yes, on Hard. I'm only on Mission 2 (side tracked by Hitman Elusives). I'm finding it quite fiendish, but it's a challenge compared to D1.

The first open sandbox area I came across taught me a lot. Guard AI is a lot more rigorous and they can see much further too, so be warned. I'm finding being quite aggressive with my stealthing is counter-intuitively working better than being overly cautious. Like, seeing a route and going for it has paid off better than being overly stoppy-starty.

They've definitely catered for the approach.

I was so close to having a completely non-lethal playthrough, but I fucked up in mission 8. The beauty of the game is that role play is encouraged. I created some poetically lethal ends for some enemies, and ran my own sub narrative that Emily finally snapped.

Cheers pal.

Yeah, I didn't play Dishonored's DLCs and honestly a few plot elements in Dishonored 2 are pretty confusing without them. Sucks for me!

Been years since I played D1. Are they like the Rat Queen? I don't remember the actual word 'witch' being used. Perhaps a faint memory. Still, it's a spoiler saying "in this specific mission there are loads of this enemy type". The joy of Dishonored is not knowing what gameplay situation they'll throw at you next.

Also I'm guessing you mean
Delilah
is a
witch
? I had no idea.

Delilah was the main villain of the dlcs, she was the leader of the Brigmore Witches.
Yea....not really gonna get much of that in this game, except for one mission you will always know exactly whats happening next.

emrober5

I've played about 6 hours and I'm only on mission 4. Seems like I'm going very slow but I am hunting down every rune/bone charm/safe.

Never played the first Dishonored but I am enjoying this. I got the limited edition so I will play the first afterwards.

Art style is great.

ghostwich

I've played about 6 hours and I'm only on mission 4. Seems like I'm going very slow but I am hunting down every rune/bone charm/safe.

Never played the first Dishonored but I am enjoying this. I got the limited edition so I will play the first afterwards.

Art style is great.
No way, play the first one, then the Knife of Dunwall DLC, then Dishonored 2.

The plot is good.

mujun

I was absolutely loving this until mission 4.

I'm finding it brutally hard. I must have reloaded at least 50 times. Such a bummer as a huge fan of the first game.

Zesh

I was absolutely loving this until mission 4.

I'm finding it brutally hard. I must have reloaded at least 50 times. Such a bummer as a huge fan of the first game.
Mission 4 is probably the hardest mission overall. If you enjoyed the previous missions, I think you'll like the rest of the game. I'd recommend trying to persevere through this mission.

Yes, on Hard. I'm only on Mission 2 (side tracked by Hitman Elusives). I'm finding it quite fiendish, but it's a challenge compared to D1.

The first open sandbox area I came across taught me a lot. Guard AI is a lot more rigorous and they can see much further too, so be warned. I'm finding being quite aggressive with my stealthing is counter-intuitively working better than being overly cautious. Like, seeing a route and going for it has paid off better than being overly stoppy-starty.

They've definitely catered for the approach.

Cool to hear, thanks!

Stoze

Tried Bonecharm crafting, and it's really neat, but it's not too useful yet since I don't have that much really useful bonecharms... especially since Strong Arms is bugged.

If you go all in with the bonecharm tree, it's still useful even if you have shitty bonecharms because you can dismantle them to get raw whale bones to make Runes, or use the raw bones you've already picked up in the environment.

By the end of the game if you dismantle all or most of the charms you're not using along with whatever raw bones you've found, you can make a profit on the amount of runes gained from that skill tree. It is a hefty initial investment to get the rune crafting power though.

mujun

Mission 4 is probably the hardest mission overall. If you enjoyed the previous missions, I think you'll like the rest of the game. I'd recommend trying to persevere through this mission.

Thanks! I did like the previous missions, a lot. Loving the atmosphere.

I Just got Sokolov out. I can probably make it back to where I found him but don't have possession to get through the wall of light. I hope there isn't much after that. I want to take Kirin out and finish the damned level!

Anno

The second mission ended up being like three times as long as I initially thought it would be. Every time I thought I was done exploring there was another room and more guards. Still going strong with my (mostly) non-lethal assault playthrough - it's a lot of fun!

SomTervo

Delilah was the main villain of the dlcs, she was the leader of the Brigmore Witches.
Yea....not really gonna get much of that in this game, except for one mission you will always know exactly whats happening next.

I didn't play either of the first game's DLC, unfortunately.

And I'm only 3 levels into this game and I've already been surprised several times. I went in 100% blind. I am absolutely 'getting much of that in this game'.

I'm always surprised at the details they take into account. they really encourage player exploration of the environments as well as NPCs. I intervened in a situation on the second and not only did my intervention do something but I also got an achievement. I thought I was doing something crazy but it was already planned for.

This might be just me, but does aiming feel off for anyone else? I'm playing on PS4. I can't tell if its the acceleration, or maybe input lag - but it doesn't quite feel snappy.

jacobeid

Banned
This might be just me, but does aiming feel off for anyone else? I'm playing on PS4. I can't tell if its the acceleration, or maybe input lag - but it doesn't quite feel snappy.

Several people have noticed input lag. It's not just you.

There's a slider that when turned down all the way seems to help but I'm blanking on the name >.< Should be easy enough to figure out in the settings.

I think if they took out the city environments you go through to get to the actual missions I'd probably like the game a lot more. They're boring, indistinct environments and collecting everything in them feels like a chore.

Top Bottom