• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
In mission 1 while Corvo is escaping Coldridge Prison, will it always say one body has been discovered or found after you take the boat with Samuel to the loyalists? I was careful to hide all bodies and knock everyone unconscious without being detected so I can't think of how any bodies were found. Anyone else run into this?

ctrayne

I like that most of the game's story is told not though cut scenes, but though the environment and it's clues. I've laid out some examples I noticed during the game. Spoilers for most of the game, of course.

Example 1: In the Overseer's hidden chamber, one finds bras strewn about the floor, soft music playing, empty liquor bottles, and a narcissistic paining of himself on display (the same one you see Sokolov painting in the prologue). An audio log further explains his character, explaining his frequent visits to "inspect" the Golden Cat (which you will visit shortly thereafter - hooray foreshadowing). This area gives the player some underlying notes about the Overseer and how corrupt he is; besides attempting to poison Curnow and benefiting from the coup, he partakes heartily in the vices the church he leads preaches against. (Also perhaps a not-too-subtle jab at real-life organized religions.) It fills out the target's immediate history and may influence your emotions as the dispenser of his fate. While assassination seems a fair price for his crimes, branding him as a traitor and sinner is bitter and just. According to his own church's tenants, he is surely a sinner. Going non-lethal also results in a terrifying surprise much later in the Flooded District, where you can find him, now a plague-riddled Weeper in the depths of an abandoned, rotting building. A note lies on the ground; his final coherent thoughts are a seething curse against Corvo. Also worth noting is the painting of the Overseer in his chamber is missing the liquor prop if you took it during the prologue.

Example 2: The whale oil seeping wastefully from the Flooded District. Here is this fuel the city is so dependent on - and seems to be running out of - just laying around, spilling everywhere, leaking into the river. Seeing as the reason the Flooded District became flooded in the first place was due to simple laziness, it's not surprising that it is also due to laziness that these caches of oil are not being recovered. When viewed as part of the big picture, a picture is formed of how wasteful this city is, and how the powerful seem to be avoiding the problem, holed up in their towers and mansions.

Example 3: Tying into the idea of excess and decline, the Boyles' party is striking. They are essentially ignoring the outside world and the poor surrounding them. The Boyles' mansion is among the most beautiful and extravagant spectacles in the game, but is surrounded by poverty, the plague, death, and Weepers. They're either oblivious or purposefully blocking it out of their minds by putting on a showy party. The city watch are more concerned with keeping unwanted people out of the party than they are with taking care of the streets. The fact that your first encounter with Tallboys is outside the mansion gates is telling. The Boyles' guests chat about trivial things, encourage you when you steal property, and come off as lousy, entitled people. It's kind of a depressing mission despite the exquisite setting.
Example 4: In mission 3, there is a courtesan in the Golden Cat that is alone, smoking a cigarette in her dingy quarters, hidden away from clients and the rest of the otherwise beautiful premises. If you look closely, you can see that she has been crying, as her eye shadow is dripping down her eyes. Examine the room, and you see a letter from her family, who is looking desperately for her. It seems they are close to finding her, yet very far due to stonewalling from the Golden Cat's staff. This pairs well with what the Heart has to say about the mission. Pretty sad stuff.

Example 5: The wanted posters throughout the game often pair the player's poster next to Daud's. This could be seen as a nod to the fact that you are both wanted men with similar skill sets. Despite being at odds, he can be perceived as Corvo's equal and rival. Seeing as he is the man that killed the Empress/your lover/the mother of your child, being next to each other on the wanted board is kind of interesting. He also is the only enemy in the game that is immune to bend time, should you choose to outright duel him. If you watch and wait, you will hear that he expresses remorse for killing the Empress and wishes to strike at the Lord Regent, which may influence your decision to take him down or spare him.

There are other little details and visual clues that, while maybe not especially meaningful, are nice touches and add value to the environments: the detailed ironwork on the Golden Cat's exterior, the detail in the rugs being slightly scrunched and lifted off the ground in the Overseer's building, the posters plastered over the windows in Dr. Galvani's laboratory (covering up his work from prying eyes). I noticed the guards wear air-filter masks earlier in the game if you go down the High Chaos path.

Last but not least are the books, notes and audio logs. Without reading and listening to these, one will miss out of a huge portion of the game's narrative. I don't mind this as I enjoyed exploring and putting together the pieces myself.

Re: Kill Screen review. Seems to be missing or ignoring a lot of things. Most of the complaints are weak or subjective. That's fine; the game certainly isn't for everyone and I appreciate a negative review, but it was not compelling.

I do agree the canned guard dialogue is annoying and silly, but it is a pretty minor offense.

xenist

If that Killscreen bit is among the least eyeroll inducing articles of theirs, I fear ever reading anything else from them. It was insufferable. Like Armond White made video game critic, only less honest.

Dennis

Banned
We recently had a best story this year thread.....and this game is a contender.

Overall a mature story with some nice characters - although somewhat superficially developed.

The setting is unique and everything is not black and white.

If only the game had been more open-world and with an AAA budget......

Yes, I know it is a stealth game but so is Ass Creed.

I like that most of the game's story is told not though cut scenes, but though the environment and it's clues. I've laid out some examples I noticed during the game. Spoilers for most of the game, of course.

Example 1: In the Overseer's hidden chamber, one finds bras strewn about the floor, soft music playing, empty liquor bottles, and a narcissistic paining of himself on display (the same one you see Sokolov painting in the prologue). An audio log further explains his character, explaining his frequent visits to "inspect" the Golden Cat (which you will visit shortly thereafter - hooray foreshadowing). This area gives the player some underlying notes about the Overseer and how corrupt he is; besides attempting to poison Curnow and benefiting from the coup, he partakes heartily in the vices the church he leads preaches against. (Also perhaps a not-too-subtle jab at real-life organized religions.) It fills out the target's immediate history and may influence your emotions as the dispenser of his fate. While assassination seems a fair price for his crimes, branding him as a traitor and sinner is bitter and just. According to his own church's tenants, he is surely a sinner. Going non-lethal also results in a terrifying surprise much later in the Flooded District, where you can find him, now a plague-riddled Weeper in the depths of an abandoned, rotting building. A note lies on the ground; his final coherent thoughts are a seething curse against Corvo.

Example 2: The whale oil seeping wastefully from the Flooded District. Here is this fuel the city is so dependent on - and seems to be running out of - just laying around, spilling everywhere, leaking into the river. Seeing as the reason the Flooded District became flooded in the first place was due to simple laziness, it's not surprising that it is also due to laziness that these caches of oil are not being recovered. When viewed as part of the big picture, a picture is formed of how wasteful this city is, and how the powerful seem to be avoiding the problem, holed up in their towers and mansions.

Example 3: Tying into the idea of excess and decline, the Boyles' party is striking. They are essentially ignoring the outside world and the poor surrounding them. The Boyles' mansion is among the most beautiful and extravagant spectacles in the game, but is surrounded by poverty, the plague, death, and Weepers. They're either oblivious or purposefully blocking it out of their minds by putting on a showy party. The city watch are more concerned with keeping unwanted people out of the party than they are with taking care of the streets. The fact that your first encounter with Tallboys is outside the mansion gates is telling. The Boyles' guests chat about trivial things, encourage you when you steal property, and come off as lousy, entitled people. It's kind of a depressing mission despite the exquisite setting.
Example 4: In mission 3, there is a courtesan in the Golden Cat that is alone, smoking a cigarette in her dingy quarters, hidden away from clients and the rest of the otherwise beautiful premises. If you look closely, you can see that she has been crying, as her eye shadow is dripping down her eyes. Examine the room, and you see a letter from her family, who is looking desperately for her. It seems they are close to finding her, yet very far due to stonewalling from the Golden Cat's staff. This pairs well with what the Heart has to say about the mission. Pretty sad stuff.

Example 5: The wanted posters throughout the game often pair the player's poster next to Daud's. This could be seen as a nod to the fact that you are both wanted men with similar skill sets. Despite being at odds, he can be perceived as Corvo's equal and rival. Seeing as he is the man that killed the Empress/your lover/the mother of your child, being next to each other on the wanted board is kind of interesting. He also is the only enemy in the game that is immune to bend time, should you choose to outright duel him. If you watch and wait, you will hear that he expresses remorse for killing the Empress and wishes to strike at the Lord Regent, which may influence your decision to take him down or spare him.

There are other little details and visual clues that, while maybe not especially meaningful, are nice touches and add value to the environments: the detailed ironwork on the Golden Cat's exterior, the detail in the rugs being slightly scrunched and lifted off the ground in the Overseer's building, the posters plastered over the windows in Dr. Galvani's laboratory (covering up his work from prying eyes). I noticed the guards wear air-filter masks earlier in the game if you go down the High Chaos path.

Last but not least are the books, notes and audio logs. Without reading and listening to these, one will miss out of a huge portion of the game's narrative. I don't mind this as I enjoyed exploring and putting together the pieces myself.

Spot on.

Also,
I can see the inevitable sequel to this game taking place as a Daud recruit training as an assassin. You can also encounter a man teaching a student how to sneak across the room, and teleport in his "Lair". I loved that bit especially well, it was a great bit of detail that anyone barreling through the game would have missed.

Derrick01

Banned
We recently had a best story this year thread.....and this game is a contender.

Overall a mature story with some nice characters - although somewhat superficially developed.

The setting is unique and everything is not black and white.

If only the game had been more open-world and with an AAA budget......

Yes, I know it is a stealth game but so is Ass Creed.

It took AC 5 games just to add the ability to take cover on a wall and peek around corners. AC hasn't really been a stealth game since the first one.

ctrayne

Also,
I can see the inevitable sequel to this game taking place as a Daud recruit training as an assassin. You can also encounter a man teaching a student how to sneak across the room, and teleport in his "Lair". I loved that bit especially well, it was a great bit of detail that anyone barreling through the game would have missed.

Maybe you knew this already, but that little bit is a nod to Thief 1's tutorial mission. :)

jett

D-Member
Creepy corvo is creepy
1. Spying on calista taking a bath
2. Barging in and asking for a romp.
3. Gets denied, so stands at the doorway opening/closing the door continuously hoping she'd continue bathing.

Jump into the tub anyway and have the loyalists disbanded for "irreconcilable differences"
, lulz.

jett

D-Member
Does this actually happen? Would be hilarious.

It does.

There are some funny moments in this game. In the
party mission
want to try giving the guy
the corpse of the Boyle lady instead of him getting her alive, see what happens haha

Locke_211

Run into a bug! Lots of people on the Bethesda forums, for all 3 systems, are talking about this too.

Mild Mission 3 spoilers:

One of the side-missions takes you back into Giovani's Office. But you can never leave! No matter which of the three exits you take, it always freezes on the loading screen. Restarting the mission twice didn't help. The loading screen from the Office back onto the streets always gets stuck.

I could get around this by not doing the side mission, but apparently Bethesda are working on a fix and I liked the game so much up to this point that I don't want to have to continue not doing the side mission.

Riposte

It took AC 5 games just to add the ability to take cover on a wall and peek around corners. AC hasn't really been a stealth game since the first one.

There are missions which instantly make you fail once you get detected. There are no missions like that in Dishonored. Hmm...

jett

D-Member
The only bug I got was Campbell noticing me as soon as he got into his office, despite me not being noticeable. Other than that it was bugfree for me.

There are missions which instantly make you fail once you get detected. There are no missions like that in Dishonored. Hmm...

Asscrud games are extremely poor when it comes to stealth. When they force it on you it's just even worse.

ctrayne

Bug-free PC playthrough here too, twice over, but that really sucks for people experiencing the glitch. I am glad Beth/Arkane is aware of it, at least.

Ferrio

Banned
As for the boyle mission

Anyone else feel really fucking slimy for giving Boyle to that guy? I wasn't sure which was a worse fate, stabbing her in the neck or loading her on the boat with that madman. Personally if I was corvo, I'd of run off with her myself.. she sounded like a freak!

ctrayne

I encountered a bug where a certain phase in the optional mission of the penultimate mission wouldn't activate, probably because I had already solved it. When I left it just failed.

Was it
the blueprints? On my second playthrough, I grabbed them before I even talked to Piero, and everything worked out.

jett

D-Member
I'm gonna do a I don't give a fuck run, no quicksaving/loading.

As for the boyle mission

Anyone else feel really fucking slimy for giving Boyle to that guy? I wasn't sure which was a worse fate, stabbing her in the neck or loading her on the boat with that madman. Personally if I was corvo, I'd of run off with her myself.. she sounded like a freak!

What about
the Pendletons being sent to work on slave labor mines for life?
What were they guilty of anyway?

Derrick01

Banned

So what? A lot of non stealth games with no good stealth mechanics force crappy missions like that. Don't you fail if you get spotted in the first mission in Uncharted 2 as well?

So what? A lot of non stealth games with no good stealth mechanics force crappy missions like that. Don't you fail if you get spotted in the first mission in Uncharted 2 as well?

I never really noticed until now, but yeah. Why the hell do so many games with shit to no stealth mechanics have stealth missions?

ctrayne

My copy should be coming in today. I've heard wildly different accounts of how long the game is. Anyone know what an average play time is?

It just depends on how you approach it. Exploring, reading everything, being stealthy, etc. got me about a 23 hour run.

I did a speedy no-kill ghost run afterwards, skipping everything including cutscenes, and it was probably more like 6 or 7 hours, but that is because I knew what I was doing and was trying to go as fast as possible using Blink only.

On my third run now, going lethal but still finding new stuff I didn't the first time, and it's a lot of fun to just savor slowly.

Play your own way the first time. You could always do the storyguy thing and decide who among the targets deserves lethal vengeance, or disposal through indirect means (usually non-lethal). The game doesn't 'punish' you for playing one way or the other in the way that Bioshock did.

I guess I'll keep the playing the way I have been and kill people when its more convenient.

Riposte

It is hard to argue Dishonored is a stealth game while saying Assassin's Creed is not. It is not like Dishonored's AI or level design is much above what they give you in AC. AC's biggest failing is that you are perpetually locked in "easy mode", I imagine Dishonored feels about as lackluster on easy (you are similarly overpowered).

KlotePino

For some reason going through my mostly non-lethal playthrough so far I'm having enough fun just traversing the world and taking down the enemies in general. I use my possession and stop time occasionally but I actually never felt like I was getting bored of just going through the world or feeling overpowered. Not being seen and not killing anyone was challenging enough for me with just blink that I'm really enjoying it and I consider myself pretty good at games too. I wouldn't it hard or anything but challenging enough that I'm enjoying it for sure. Besides I'm enjoying the setting and atmosphere too much to even be too bothered by it really. I'm super close to the end and I definitely feel an actual ramp up in creative level design only hampered by the merely decent
Dunwall Tower
mission.

Eusis

Creepy corvo is creepy
1. Spying on calista taking a bath
2. Barging in and asking for a romp.
3. Gets denied, so stands at the doorway opening/closing the door continuously hoping she'd continue bathing.
I'm not sure what's creepier, that or the fact that if you're using Dark Vision
she is actually bathing fully clothed. Or more likely they just didn't want to design a whole other model, especially when that data being present on a PC game instantly gets another descriptor slapped on.
The ending was great don't really know what people were expecting. Mecha-boss or something?

The end level was one of the best ones.
I think it really depends on the course people went with with the game. I'd like to know how many who were satisfied got the high chaos finale, and
if Emily died or not
. I feel like the two potential high chaos endings, notably the one I mentioned, actually end up more satisfying ways to end the game whereas low chaos is just too clean.

Jack_AG

Banned
As for the boyle mission

Yup. I was like "WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING?" She will suffer a fate worse than death haha! Dude is going to hand out some unwanted sexual advances for sure when he gets her back to his joint.

comrade

I'm not sure what's creepier, that or the fact that if you're using Dark Vision
she is actually bathing fully clothed. Or more likely they just didn't want to design a whole other model, especially when that data being present on a PC game instantly gets another descriptor slapped on.

I think it really depends on the course people went with with the game. I'd like to know how many who were satisfied got the high chaos finale, and
if Emily died or not
. I feel like the two potential high chaos endings, notably the one I mentioned, actually end up more satisfying ways to end the game whereas low chaos is just too clean.
Wow I didn't even know it could end like that. I got the high chaos ending but
Emily lived

Kill Screen said:
Defenders of Swiss Armification will no doubt invoke the totemic pleasures of “player choice.” Everyone likes choice, until you're perched on a ledge, trying to choose whether to kill a guard by teleporting 20 feet and slitting his throat in mid-air, or by summoning a throng of rodents to devour his still-living corpse. Who cares?

I.... I care?

Eusis

Uhhhh spoiler fail.
Whoops, sorry about that. At least it wasn't anything too big (unless the bigger thing got very quickly edited, then dammit.)
Wow I didn't even know it could end like that. I got the high chaos ending but
Emily lived
Yeah, you
wait too long or ignore what he says and just charge forward without trying ANYTHING he'll drop with her and both will die.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Whoops, sorry about that. At least it wasn't anything too big (unless the bigger thing got very quickly edited, then dammit.)
Now somebody quoted it
KuGsj.gif

I'm just wondering where the hell the game goes to put you in that situation. I know
assuming it's Callista, Piero has been spying on her, but why you'd be present at this I have no idea o.o
I.... I care?
Hey me too! Did you see that video that was just posted?

Yeah, you
wait too long or ignore what he says and just charge forward without trying ANYTHING he'll drop with her and both will die.

o.0 I got a game over message and was forced to reload a save when that happened. Is that really a possible ending?

Eusis

o.0 I got a game over message and was forced to reload a save when that happened. Is that really a possible ending?
I got an objective failed notification, but waited and it wasn't actually game over. Just reload the save and wait, maybe you get a game over for
shooting and hitting her, it's not something I tried and I could see the "don't let players hurt children" stance developers and publishers largely took post-Deus Ex might mean they want to avoid touching that issue at all.

Riposte

First thing I do in every game when I encounter a child is shoot it. Then I say to myself "This game isn't as good as Deus Ex!!"

I got an objective failed notification, but waited and it wasn't actually game over. Just reload the save and wait, maybe you get a game over for
shooting and hitting her, it's not something I tried and I could see the "don't let players hurt children" stance developers and publishers largely took post-Deus Ex might mean they want to avoid touching that issue at all.

Ahh I see. I think I reacted too hastily, lol.

Top Bottom