• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't feel that much of that is particularly compelling criticism (and I'm ashamed or whatever to admit that I have not heard of Kill Screen Daily before), and it has the overall tone of being borderline-offended that the game is unabashedly awesome. But just to one point, the mask is definitely intended to be a HEPA filter of sorts for working in plague-riddled areas in addition to protecting his identity

Kill Screen went in with their review:

Sorry for copying all of the article, but it was intresting coming from them.

This is probably the first thing I've read from Kill Screen that didn't have me rolling my eyes every other sentence. Only the bit about the voice acting in the middle is really obnoxious, and I'm impressed they didn't go off on some tangent about how playing this game made them wish Stanley Kubrik had made video games.

I'm still waiting on my copy from Gamefly. It's been interesting reading an entire thread of differing opinions on a game I as of yet have hype alone invested in.

aeolist

Banned
Agreed about the American voice actors, but the fact that it's a totally fictionalized country very loosely based on England makes it a bit better.

I'm very confused about the remarks lauding Deus Ex and then bemoaning the fact that you have to explore the world to get text and audio clips to flesh it out.

Also agreed that more abilities and gadgets along with forced specialization would have made the gameplay better, but what's there is already really fucking good.

Kikarian

Just started playing now... Really enjoying it up to now.

I just need to get used to left click being for the right hand, vice versa.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I seem to be in a huge minority on this but I very much enjoy the fact that you expect the characters, based on setting and appearance, to have English accents, but they don't. The game is not set in England.

Veelk

Banned
If I select new game after beating it, will I retain all my abilities, or is it back to square one? I tried the mission select and it just gives me back the gear I had when I first did that mission.

Can anyone tell me? I don't really want to do an immediate replay if I lost everything I had.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can anyone tell me? I don't really want to do an immediate replay if I lost everything I had.
Then an immediate replay you shall not do.

I understand why it's not the default completely, but I'm down for NG+ DLC for my third playthrough.

Marcel

I seem to be in a huge minority on this but I very much enjoy the fact that you expect the characters, based on setting and appearance, to have English accents, but they don't. The game is not set in England.

I really do appreciate the fact that the game doesn't lean on Cockney accents or anything like that too hard.

I'm not one for praising the navelgazing Kill Screen a great deal but their criticisms of the celebrity cast sleeping through their voice roles is absolutely right. Experienced, proper VAs always win out and they're cheaper too. It's a problem among Bethesda published games in general: Getting celebrity voices for marketing purposes but thereby making the roles they play mostly unmemorable because, guess what, they usually phone it in.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I thought most of the cast did a fantastic job. Chloe Moretz was the only one I thought was pretty off.

I think the main thing to remember with Dishonored, re: stealth, is that it's not trying to completely emulate Thief and other stealth games like Splinter Cell. In those games sneaking is a methodical, introverted experience where you really must pay very, very careful attention to your placement in the game world and how the game world is reacting around you. Dishonored is a lot more flexible and deliberately so. You're supposed to have a full grasp of your borderline broken powers and use these in appropriate scenarios. Stop time, run past guards. Possess, walk guard into secluded area, choke 'em. Sleeping dart the fuck out of everybody.

Sometimes I think to myself "I wish this game had a proper shadows and sound mechanics implemented into sneaking", but it doesn't really need them. It's not Thief. It's not Splinter Cell. It's not trying to be the same kind of game, even though it does borrow a similar feel and some mechanics.

I think this also ties into the combat, which is another important mechanic to remember. Many of your powers double up as effect battle tools as well. Unlike Thief and unlike Splinter Cell you are, end of the day, an assassin. You're armed to the teeth with equipment and magic that makes you an unstoppable killer. And I think that's part of the point, trying to tip toe the line between the temptation of using your killing abilities and simply ghosting through the game.

I could pick apart the game for various balance and design issues, but when I do I try to steer away from the lazy complaints that tend to fall back on "It's not Thief/Deus Ex". It's not really supposed to be.

As for the stealth/non lethal playthrough, one thing that really annoyed me was how touchy the prompt for the sleeper hold was. At least 5-10 times it messed up and I had to reload or blink away just because the prompt didn't come up quickly enough. I hate having to blink away. Sucks when that is pretty much your only interaction with the game and the murder button seems to be much easier.

Marcel

The guard voice samples with their canned dialog and magic 8 ball responses are the worst offenders

There really is no point in doing a nonlethal playthrough since the whiskey and cigar nights are gonna catch up to all those guys anyway. ;)

Edit: Ha, you got to it before I did.

jett

D-Member
I didn't even know there was an all-star cast until I saw the credits roll. I was quite surprised, I thought they were all underutilized. There was nothing wrong with the voice acting, just serviceable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"I don't need to hear this shit from you." or whatever. I got that response so often.

"Shall we gather for whisky and cigars tonight?"
"I DON'T NEED TO HEAR THIS SHIT FROM YOU"

Derrick01

Banned
That review posted a little ways up just reminds me how much money they wasted on "celebrity" voice talent. Now that I think about my first playthrough I didn't notice any of those people's voices. They could have grabbed james the janitor and made him do some voice work and I wouldn't have noticed any difference between him and Madsen.

Marcel

That review posted a little ways up just reminds me how much money they wasted on "celebrity" voice talent. Now that I think about my first playthrough I didn't notice any of those people's voices. They could have grabbed james the janitor and made him do some voice work and I wouldn't have noticed any difference between him and Madsen.

It really is a waste. Proper VAs live job to job too so they could probably use that Bethesda cash (which is probably peanuts to people like John Slattery, Susan Sarandon).

IronRinn

Finished this yesterday and find myself agreeing with a lot of that Kill Screen review, especially with regards to story and voice acting. I thought Sarandon did a fairly good job but everyone else was pretty forgettable. Forgot Madsen was even in it until the credits came up.

I played through the intro and got to what I guess you would call the first proper level. The game seemed to really emphasize how killing people is bad. Am I going to get punished later if I kill enemies even if every kill is a stealth kill?

EatChildren

I'd agree that they weren't really noticeable 'talent', but I certainly didn't think they were bad. Havelock, Piero, Callista, Daud, Slackjaw, The Outsider and Pendleton all sounded great to me. Fit their characters and their lines were solid.

Marcel

I played through the intro and got to what I guess you would call the first proper level. The game seemed to really emphasize how killing people is bad. Am I going to get punished later if I kill enemies even if every kill is a stealth kill?

Play your own way the first time. You could always do the storyguy thing and decide who among the targets deserves lethal vengeance, or disposal through indirect means (usually non-lethal). The game doesn't 'punish' you for playing one way or the other in the way that Bioshock did.

I'd agree that they weren't really noticeable 'talent', but I certainly didn't think they were bad. Havelock, Piero, Callista, Daud, Slackjaw, The Outsider and Pendleton all sounded great to me. Fit their characters and their lines were solid.

Pieros affectation was very distracting the rest you mentioned were okay

SJRB

Gold Member
"I don't need to hear this shit from you." or whatever. I got that response so often.

"Shall we gather for whisky and cigars tonight?"
"I DON'T NEED TO HEAR THIS SHIT FROM YOU"

I laughed way too hard when I heard that, so random.

..but after hearing it for the 10th time in the same area it kind of became annoying. Same goes for the snorting and spitting. And mumbling/cursing. And the guards going "huh?!" EVERY SINGLE TIME they walk past a corpse they killed themselves.

So I am going for the Ghost achievement (Never alert anyone)

First level,
when you blowup the door. No matter what I do one of the guards outside the the door (On the wall to the right) gets alerted. Every single time.

Any ideas?

Dennis

Banned
And I am done. Completed the game (Low Chaos).

Loved the last level.

The three best levels of the game are:

Golden Cat

Lady Boyles Ball

Lighthouse

See, I do finish games!

Final Verdict: 9/10

And I am done. Completed the game (Low Chaos).

Loved the last level.

The three best levels of the game are:

Golden Cat

Lady Boyles Ball

Lighthouse

See, I do finish games!

Final Verdict: 9/10

I agree with your best levels. Ghosting the last one was super challenging and good, took me several tries to find a good entry point where I wouldn't be spotted

DrBo42

So I am going for the Ghost achievement (Never alert anyone)

First level,
when you blowup the door. No matter what I do one of the guards outside the the door (On the wall to the right) gets alerted. Every single time.

Any ideas?

I don't think the first level counts.

Ferrio

Banned
Creepy corvo is creepy
1. Spying on calista taking a bath
2. Barging in and asking for a romp.
3. Gets denied, so stands at the doorway opening/closing the door continuously hoping she'd continue bathing.

Riposte

Two funny moments that happened to me in combat. 1) On the last level, two alerted guards turned the corner and surprised me, so I reflexively shot the gun. I hit their chest, but the force flung them over the railing and to their deaths in a comedic manner. 2) If you hold someone in a chokehold while a guard is aiming at you, they are effectively a meatshield, lol.

Judging from this thread I am the only one playing this to maximum.

I played the shit out of this game, trust me. I even tackled some amusing challenges to make it more fun. (e.g. at the costume party
assassinate the two remaining sisters only after leading them to their room and pickpocket every noble at the party without getting caught
. Btw, this wasn't all that fun and the game didn't acknowledge those extra major NPCs I killed at all, lol)

Tragically, exploration was a lot of "Oh yet another solution that was pointless because the answer was staring me in the face". I sort of disliked this in Human Revolution also, but that at least felt like multiple choice. This feels like voting for the Green Party.

This is kind of an old quote but I strongly disagree. I think certain level design later in the game like the bridge and the flooded district would be completely was designed with blink in mind and doesn't work without it. I think it allows for more unique vertical level design.

It allows for more unique vertical movement, but the design wasn't exactly there to meet you. There is always stuff you can climb with Agility or chains which deals with getting up high. Even without blink (though I'm not saying they should remove blink, they should have just given it a cost, like the marginalized Possession), this game would remain vertical. Using that stuff usually requires more risk as you have to interact with the guards more. Blink takes that out of the picture, as you can use it to simply fly over guard posts / security devices and scale the geometry or just cleanly teleport to and from guards. The bridge level in particular was hurt by Blink, layers and layers of defense now trivial.

Blink highlights the outstanding level design rather than obfuscating it. Being able to move quickly and efficiently through the world doesn't mean the world is incoherent, and the fact that you could play entirely without Blink demonstrates how well-crafted it ultimately is.

Well, I never said it obfuscate it. That doesn't make sense. It is more like the opposite is happening. There is nothing incoherent about this game. Like I said, it is the most accessible stealth I've played, on the default settings anyway.

The last sentence doesn't follow. Yes, you can play through this entire game without the overpowered free teleport spell (that could easily be added into any game with vertical design). That could just as much say that this game would be better if it wasn't there or it is weaker for it.

I'm going to replay the level everyone assumed at first would be the last, because I have a theory that after you enter the second area you can beat it (non-lethally, even) by staying in one room and peaking into the adjacent rooms.

EDIT: I agree with your list of levels Dennis.

EDIT: Ugh, I'm agreeing with a Kill Screen review, kill me now. Well, at least it is about videogames. That's a rare thing for them.

Dennis

Banned
The ending was great don't really know what people were expecting. Mecha-boss or something?

The end level was one of the best ones.

EatChildren

Last level was really well designed up until
the stretch up the staircases towards the light house peak, where the game decided to totally disregard interesting level design much in the same way as the final stretch of The Flooded District was too easy and boring.

Dennis

Banned
Last level was really well designed up until
the stretch up the staircases towards the light house peak, where the game decided to totally disregard interesting level design much in the same way as the final stretch of The Flooded District was too easy and boring.

But that was so short that it didn't matter.

The Flooded District just went on an on and on.

I keep expecting him to go into the 'it's by will alone I set my mind in motion' litany or slip up and call me baron. That is the dude that played Peter DeVires in Dune right?

He was just another under developed character. He said way too much shit that boiled down to "whaddya buyin?" and was sorta creepy brilliant scientist guy trope

Top Bottom