• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

SJRB

Gold Member
Don't go near them. :lol All I know is that they spit acid or whatever at you.

Yeah I noticed, haha.

"HA HA convenient shortcAAAAAA WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON"

I thought they were bats or something. But still, feels kind of out of place for a game like this to have acid-spitting mutant parasites, does it not?

DocSeuss

Yup the challenge is not getting caught and if you do then try to get away. But if you reload every time you get caught then where is the challenge?

Hold the fuck up.

That's like saying "drawing is easier because whenever I fuck up, I can just pick up a new piece of paper and start over." Challenge can come from attempting to carry out a plan in a specific way. Ultimately, challenge is "that thing that keeps you from getting what you want." Reloading and facing the challenge again does not in any way affect the scope of the challenge facing you.

To suggest that being able to start over whenever you fail reduces challenge is just... kinda fucking silly.

Riposte

River Crusts get destroyed by pistol (2 shots) or (cooked) grenades, even when they shield themselves. That might not be a solution if you are looking for no alerts.

Hold the fuck up.

That's like saying "drawing is easier because whenever I fuck up, I can just pick up a new piece of paper and start over." Challenge can come from attempting to carry out a plan in a specific way. Ultimately, challenge is "that thing that keeps you from getting what you want." Reloading and facing the challenge again does not in any way affect the scope of the challenge facing you.

To suggest that being able to start over whenever you fail reduces challenge is just... kinda fucking silly.

Challenge: You have to do this, this, and this without dying or getting caught.

vs

Challenge: You have to do this without dying or getting caught. (Then you do this three times)

Derrick01

Banned
Hold the fuck up.

Well if you're trying to ghost then you pretty much have to reload a lot. It's really not fun to do it and then have to do the same stuff over again all of the time. That's tedious, not challenging.

Durante

Hmm, the second side-mission I do (from Granny Rags) and I'm already second-guessing myself. On the one hand
I want the rune, but on the other hand I really don't want to infect half the city

Hold the fuck up.

I agree.

DocSeuss

Well if you're trying to ghost then you pretty much have to reload a lot. It's really not fun to do it and then have to do the same stuff over again all of the time. That's tedious, not challenging.

A lot of people really like Super Meat Boy.

Look, I'm the guy who is all about accepting when I fuck up and trying to come up with plans on the fly to get out of them. That, to me, is fucking awesome. But it's absurd to think that loading games whenever you want somehow reduces the complexity of the challenge you were attempting to do.

It's like the equally opposite and wrong idea of "well, if I died a lot, it was really hard."

Challenge is in succeeding at a task, not how many times you die or reload. -_-

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I am not enjoying the mission that I'm on at all. I can't even place why. Something about it just doesn't click.

Return to Dunwall Tower

Carbonox

Hmm, the second side-mission I do (from Granny Rags) and I'm already second-guessing myself. On the one hand
I want the rune, but on the other hand I really don't want to infect half the city

I agree.

I was a bit confused so
I killed her after poisoning the distillery
and jacked the Rune.

Then I found her in some basement elsewhere in the city and she mocks me for thinking I could get rid of her that easily. :lol :lol

Fucking mad.

Locke_211

Screw it, I decided I wanted to play the game enough not to worry about the bugged side-mission in the second proper level and carried on without doing it.

Loving playing this spontaneously, rather than reloading if it goes wrong. If a guard randomly walks round a corner into me, I kill him instantly and feel a sort of regret. Much more immersive than reloading and making sure I knock him out.

Lebron

7 hostiles killed? Fuck you, I put all those motherfuckers to sleep

Hmm, the second side-mission I do (from Granny Rags) and I'm already second-guessing myself.
I did it. I wasn't really paying attention to what the consequence was, I just wanted the rune. Huge mistake. It's like Resident Evil up in this bitch now.

Riposte

A lot of people really like Super Meat Boy.

Look, I'm the guy who is all about accepting when I fuck up and trying to come up with plans on the fly to get out of them. That, to me, is fucking awesome. But it's absurd to think that loading games whenever you want somehow reduces the complexity of the challenge you were attempting to do.

It's like the equally opposite and wrong idea of "well, if I died a lot, it was really hard."

Challenge is in succeeding at a task, not how many times you die or reload. -_-

Challenge: You have to do this, this, and this without dying or getting caught.

vs

Challenge: You have to do this without dying or getting caught. (Then you do this three times)

The first one is more complex (by definition) and demanding than the second. It makes for a more difficult task. You needn't stop at accomplishing smaller goals either. You could have save files for every single action or every single second if you wanted to marginalize the game's choices and consequences enough.

Also people liking Super Meat Boy doesn't exactly change my opinion of it and its flash-game meets emulator with save states design.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So whats the Verdict? Worth 60$ now or rent/wait for price drop? I really think it sounds awesome but the short game length make me wonder if i should wait.

Riposte

So whats the Verdict? Worth 60$ now or rent/wait for price drop? I really think it sounds awesome but the short game length make me wonder if i should wait.

If owning a game isn't important to you, then renting would be the default choice wouldn't it? The game is only going to decrease in price.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
7 hostiles killed? I put all those motherfuckers to sleep

Rats didnt get to the bodies did they? Apparently that counts against you... D: Or any other sort of "unfortunate accidents" that may befall said sleeping NPCs.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The game is not short. I'm well over 10 hours and only about halfway through. Well worth a purchase.

Enco

At the party mission now.

It's so beautiful. Finding out the target was fairly easy but I'm having a lot of fun exploring and doing the optional objectives. The
duel
came out of nowhere :lol

Since I found out the target from
the Brisby guy and kinda Mrs white
I don't need to go upstairs but I'm going to just for the fun of it. Feels good.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
If owning a game isn't important to you, then renting would be the default choice wouldn't it? The game is only going to decrease in price.

I asked if you thought it was worth buying and owning now. I realize that if i didnt want to own the game i should probably rent it. I wanted to see if people who bought it regetted it because of the short game time. Thanks

The game is not short. I'm well over 10 hours and only about halfway through. Well worth a purchase.

Thanks! Is there DLC and other stuff coming for the game down the line?

DukeBobby

Depending on your playstyle, the game can last anywhere from 6 hours to 20+ hours. If you're a stealthy kind of guy, length shouldn't be a concern.

For some reason everybody can't stop freaking out once I get to the upstairs of the Boyle house at the party, even though i go up undetected, pretty much fucks up the rest of the mission.

stufte

For some reason everybody can't stop freaking out once I get to the upstairs of the Boyle house at the party, even though i go up undetected, pretty much fucks up the rest of the mission.

are you sure they didn't discover a body you hid...poorly?

DukeBobby

This seems to happen to a lot of people, me included. However, when I left the house and then went back in again (I think I left through the basement area), everything seemed to return to normal.

Enco

Do you even need to go upstairs?

You can find out who the target is from chatting. Not that it makes the glitch(?) ok.

Hindle

Banned
The amount of ways to get through each of the levels is overwhelming. I found two guys in Overseers Campbell's secret room, they were also looking for the book. Just awesome.

Bergsy

Just finished my first play. Took me 15ish hours with plenty of exploring. Enjoyed every minute of it. Cant wait to start a clean run.

Do you even need to go upstairs?

You can find out who the target is from chatting. Not that it makes the glitch(?) ok.
Well you don't really need any particular method in this game, which I like (even though it clearly suggest you should always stealth) it was just one of the suggestions in the mission objectives.

And leaving didn't work, so I'll have to reload and try a different way.

Hold the fuck up.

This. "Save whoring", so to speak, doesn't do a thing to effect "challenge". It effects whether or not you'll have to replay a portion of the game that you've already proven yourself capable of previously.

Some probability-based games can be easily exploited by save-whoring, i.e. Valkyria Chronicles where you can save before each attack and reload if things don't go your way. Dishonored is not one of those games. You either have the skill to get past a certain point or you don't.

I see nothing wrong with saving often and reloading when you must.

Yup the challenge is not getting caught and if you do then try to get away. But if you reload every time you get caught then where is the challenge?

The challenge is figuring things out. If you get caught and die and start at the beginning of the mission, how is that any more challenging than starting again from a save 30 seconds prior? Because you have to redo a lot of things you already figured out? Stealth games end up being procedural to the point of repetition once you know what you're doing.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I see nothing wrong with saving often and reloading when you must.
That's how I play a lot of games. I experiment with something, and if it doesn't work or go to my liking, I reload and try again. Trial and error is part of the process of discovery for me in games like Dishonored.

Switching gears for a moment.

Just to clarify my earlier point, I don't think the ending was bad. It didn't disappoint me, nor did it blow me away. It did what it needed to do, but I wish it had done more

Speaking of wishes, I REALLY wish there had been a level on a whaling ship, or in a whaling dock/facility/whatever. Whale oil is so central to Dunwall that I wish there had been a more direct interaction with the industry aspect of the game.

Anyone else like small details? I impaled a guard on the spiked fences seen through out the game. I tossed the guy off the building and he landed crouch first on one which killed him.

Jack_AG

Banned

I'm halfway through on my no-powers run (since I have to do it again after upgrading blink... which says is allowed in the achievement... wtf) and I'm about 2.5 hours in after mission 5 - not "fighting" anyone, either. I just kill silently and quickly.

It's not all that long if you make it straight for the main objective.

That being said the game does a good job of making you want to do side-missions and search out runes/charms - which makes the game a bit longer.

I'd say the real length doesn't come from the game, rather, how many times you reload. I only missed 4 total runes/charms on my first playthrough and completed every side mission and wound up with 13 hours... with a lot of reloading.

It's not terribly hard to move through the game quickly while searching for runes/charms, avoiding enemies and silent takedowns seem brain-dead easy - even on Very Hard (pissed there was no achievement for it).

It offers a nice amount of length for those who want to "do it all" - but those who are more concerned with the main story will be left in the dust.

Raw64life

About 10 hours in so far and I'm enjoying the game, although I agree that it's too easy. The AI is too forgiving when it comes to doing stealth kills when other people are around and food and items are way too plentiful. I never need them ever because I've been completely stocked since the 1st mission and rarely need to use them. I would not be happy if I wasn't allowed to quick save/load but I think they should've made it so that your mana meter never regenerates.

jett

D-Member
How disappointing, you can't replay previous missions with powers you get in later missions. I guess it's impossible to actually be fully powered-up in the game. :p

What do higher difficulties offer btw?

Top Bottom