• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

ZoddGutts

Disagree. I think a speech check skill would have gone against the spirit of the design, that is to say involved, player driven actions versus checks and dice rolls. What they should have done to in this instance is make the method of acquiring information from the party guests more demanding and vague, such as a variety of clues from multiple sources that encourage investigative work on the ground floor, and dialogue options that can be made incorrectly thus blocking off further discussion. They kinda did that with the targets, but actually learning the target's identity is bizarrely easy and counter productive to the level's design.

But yeah, Dishnored is a game built on player driven action and interactivity, where puzzle design and cerebral interactivity is done literally at the hands of the player rather than any skill checks and dice rolls. You make a mistake, get a puzzle wrong, or have to work something out, and the onus is completely on you. That's how the game is designed and where it's at its best. It was a shame to see that mission regress to such a boring solution.

During my playthrough I
still went upstairs because I wanted to see the other investigative options, and do some looting, but the fact it wasn't necessary is pretty silly design.
Granted I haven't got to that mission on my high chaos/lethal playthrough, and I'm wondering if
party guests are unwilling to divulge info under the different world circumstances

This so much. Also people need to realized this game takes more from the Thief series rather than Deus Ex series.

Anyways love the game, I do agree the ending is disappointing but other than that loved everything else. Here's hoping they'll do a sequel.

I just got my first powers. Nice surprise, since I didn't know that magic played into the game whatsoever. I can already see myself abusing the see-though-walls power, though. It lasts way too long and the magic regenerates quickly, so I don't even understand what the drawback to using it is. I can pretty much spam it and never lose magic.

mujun

I just got my first powers. Nice surprise, since I didn't know that magic played into the game whatsoever. I can already see myself abusing the see-though-walls power, though. It lasts way too long and the magic regenerates quickly, so I don't even understand what the drawback to using it is. I can pretty much spam it and never lose magic.

I find the drawback to be the fact that you have to spam it and that it forces you to play the game a little slower. I used it constantly in my first play through (non lethal+ghost) but don't use it at all in my 2nd and current play through. The game feels much freer to me the 2nd time round because I'm not using it (also the fact that apart from dying in fights I don't redo any areas by reloading, I just try to deal with any situations using quick thinking, totally different feel).

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Observation: all the women in this game wear pants. There are no skirts/dresses in Dunwall.

att83116a9s08.jpg

Sorry, poor taste, I know...

One of my more amusing kills...

att9200870zhv.jpg

I wound up renting it from a Redbox and wrapped up the single-player campaign in a week, having put probably close to 30 hours into it. Absolutely my sleeper hit of the year. Some great Bioshock-meets-Thief sort of vibes. Finishing a pacfist run of this is now on my bucket list and I regret not just buying it outright.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

If you're playing stealthfully there's really no reason to never not use it. Another case of the Batman: AA Detective Mode type deal. I think it's much more fun to play without it but there's no legitimate reason aside from deciding to make it harder for yourself.

Coconut

Banned
so a played the very last moment of the game twice once saving emily and getting a pretty hopeful outcome considering that I had a high chaos rating second time I played it was very bleak what are the other ending like?

The Chef

I have to vent for a second. I am on the
Tower Level and, as usual, loving every minute of it. UNTIL this really creepy music comes on. I figure its part of the area I am at because I am nearing the torture chamber, so at the time the music seemed appropriate and seriously creepy. However, the music didn't end there. It just keep playing well after I have killed the dude.
Im trying to do my usual routine by being a sneaky bastard and listen for footsteps but I cant freakin do that because THIS SILENT HILL AMBIENT MUSIC WILL NOT END. WTF IS THIS SHIT??? I am now taking a break to write this because I am so irritated. The whole game has you sneaking around in absolute silence, and now I have to hear this on loop for god knows how long. And this place is MASSIVE.
I no longer have my feeling of play slow and careful. I am just flying through killing just trying to get to where its back to normal. I even tried to mute the music in options and it does nothing.
REEEEEEEReeeeeeeeeEEEE........BABONGGGGGGG!!!!! ReEEEEEEE reeeeeeee REEEEEE.....................BABONG!!!!!!!
Im freakin pissed. This was like a 10 out of 10 for me till this random shit.

I have to vent for a second. I am on the
Tower Level and, as usual, loving every minute of it. UNTIL this really creepy music comes on. I figure its part of the area I am at because I am nearing the torture chamber, so at the time the music seemed appropriate and seriously creepy. However, the music didn't end there. It just keep playing well after I have killed the dude.
Im trying to do my usual routine by being a sneaky bastard and listen for footsteps but I cant freakin do that because THIS SILENT HILL AMBIENT MUSIC WILL NOT END. WTF IS THIS SHIT??? I am now taking a break to write this because I am so irritated. The whole game has you sneaking around in absolute silence, and now I have to hear this on loop for god knows how long. And this place is MASSIVE.
I no longer have my feeling of play slow and careful. I am just flying through killing just trying to get to where its back to normal. I even tried to mute the music in options and it does nothing.
REEEEEEEReeeeeeeeeEEEE........BABONGGGGGGG!!!!! ReEEEEEEE reeeeeeee REEEEEE.....................BABONG!!!!!!!
Im freakin pissed. This was like a 10 out of 10 for me till this random shit.

Exactly the same happend to me. It´s a bug. If you want to get rid of the loud sound loop you have to leave the mansion, and after that go back inside again. That helped me.

The Chef

Exactly the same happend to me. It´s a bug. If you want to get rid of the loud sound loop you have to leave the mansion, and after that go back inside again. That helped me.

I actually thought it had to be a bug. No way would they have designed that in.
I gritted my teeth and got through it.

Picked this up again after being lost in XCOM for a few weeks. I'm feeling pretty badass, mixing stealth with fucking dudes up when I feel like it, just doing a really fun/take advantage of what you can do playthrough.

Funniest thing that happened to me was when I shot one of the assassins with a sleep dart right as he went invisible/teleported, and then immediately I hear snoring, turn around and directly behind me is the unconscious, sleeping assassin.

Beat the game earlier tonight, cut a bloody swathe through Dunwall and had a lot of fun doing so. Started up a new game almost right away, now I'm trying to do a no-kill/stealth run. Shame you can't get the ghost achievement on the prison break because that's the first time I got the rating playing this game. I blew the ghost run at the end of the first genuine mission but I'm not going to sweat it. Made it through without killing anyone and did the non-lethal takedown on the first target.

Igo

Really enjoyed this game. Ended with one hostile kill, which was pretty annoying at the time as I don't know how it happened, but whatever. No story penalty so it doesn't really matter anyway.

The ending was a little weak.
Whats up with the lack of a Calista cameo, and Lydia and Martin making an appearance from beyond the grave? Doesn't look like Cecilia realized her dream of owning the hounds pits pub either. What a shame.

CloudWolf

Whats up with the lack of a Calista cameo, and Lydia and Martin making an appearance from beyond the grave? Doesn't look like Cecilia realized her dream of owning the hounds pits pub either. What a shame.
Martin wasn't killed at the Hounds Pub, he was the one who did the killing. I can't remember Lydia being in the ending, though.

I do agree the developers needed to make more use of characters like Callista and Cecilia. Hell, they needed to make more use of a lot of characters. Some of the amazing actors they got for the game get rarely used; Lena Headey (Callista) and Michael Madsen (
Daud
) for instance only get a few lines. Hell, Carrie Fisher did voice acting in the game and you don't even get to hear her if
you don't kill the announcer in 'Return to the Tower'

By the way, this game is so damn dark. I actually wanted to play nice in my first playthrough and went for the non-lethal takedowns (because Corvo is just a nice guy), but it turned out most of them get a fate worse than death.
Campbell ends up as a weeper, the Pendleton twins are forced to work in their own mines until their death, Lady Boyle gets kidnapped by her crazy stalker and the Lord Regent is rotting away in prison.
What the fuck, Arkane? Also, the final mission is one of the biggest anticlimaxes ever in gaming if you're doing a low chaos playthrough.

Whu?
I've found him in the flooded district, at the bottom of a building. I think it's the one where you reclaim your gear.

Yeah, I spotted a branded Campbell weeper here too.
Funny how the non-lethal eliminations actually seem more evil in this game. Especially
Lady Boyle.

Finished the second mission last night, and was disappointed to find my chaos went from 'low' previously to 'high' now. :( I assume I can get it back down but come on game I didn't kill that many people. I didn't even murder a single
prostitute!
RECOGNIZE THAT I'M A TRUE HERO GAME.

Just did the first mission where we assassinate campbell. Messed up and wasn't able to save the guard despite thinking I did (didn't realize I didn't leave him in a safe location). Was a great mission look forward to more.

Fabrik

Banned
Nearing the end. Last mission. End of mission 7 was not very good. Mission 8 was very short. I killed everyone. Revenge! I'm not made for this type of game I think. I'm not having super fun. I love Mark Of The Ninja and the stealth aspect of Arkham Asylum but here it's a bit frustrating. You are encouraged to not kill anyone and feel punished in your ranking if you do. Starting an alarm and killing all the guards coming at you feel cheap and the wrong way to play the game so you're tempted to restart which is not fun.

Nearing the end. Last mission. End of mission 7 was not very good. Mission 8 was very short. I killed everyone. Revenge! I'm not made for this type of game I think. I'm not having super fun. I love Mark Of The Ninja and the stealth aspect of Arkham Asylum but here it's a bit frustrating. You are encouraged to not kill anyone and feel punished in your ranking if you do. Starting an alarm and killing all the guards coming at you feel cheap and the wrong way to play the game so you're tempted to restart which is not fun.

Agreed this gets to me sometimes and I make myself restart as well. Especially how they punish you for killing enemies. Thats a really dumb design decision by them IMO.

Zeliard

I don't care about achievements. It's just cheap to kill 6 guys in a row with your gun.

Then don't use a gun. I murder everybody and rarely bust out the gun. Most of the abilities and tools you have are geared around the glorious killing of enemies, and can be combined in various ways.

Jb

I don't care about achievements. It's just cheap to kill 6 guys in a row with your gun.

Not it isn't? You're given a vast palette of powers and abilities to kill your enemies creatively, the game is designed so you're able to have fun doing so. Nothing cheap about it, unless you've set yourself arbitrary rules.

Fabrik

Banned
Not it isn't? You're given a vast palette of powers and abilities to kill your enemies creatively, the game is designed so you're able to have fun doing so. Nothing cheap about it, unless you've set yourself arbitrary rules.

I'm talking about when you get detected and the alarm is set on!

Most fun thing I've done so far was accidentally setting off an alarm, having a guard shoot, and me doing the quick stop time/possession/move guard in front of the bullet/start time sequence they showed in one of the trailers. Doing it myself and watching the guard kill himself with his own bullet was the highlight of my play so far, even if I got mercilessly slaughtered by the other four guards immediately after.

You have a wide array of powers and tools at your disposal. Blinking around, possessing, grenades, lighting guys on fire...it's so much fun, even if you screw up.

Einbroch

Banned
What a garbage ending. Also, last mission spoilers...

Samuel just suddenly hates you out of nowhere. He saves your life then ten minutes later tells you to get the hell off his boat and even alerts the guards that you're coming. Well, he tried, but I killed him before he could alert them.

Samuel just suddenly hates you out of nowhere. He saves your life then ten minutes later tells you to get the hell off his boat and even alerts the guards that you're coming. Well, he tried, but I killed him before he could alert them.

Well shit, that didn't happen to me.

Fusebox

Banned

You must have had an insane body count.
I had high chaos going into that mission, but he never alerted anyone when he dropped me off. I killed him anyway.

Anyone else have a love-hate relationship with this game? I absolutely love everything about this game when I'm nailing the stealth stuff, but as soon as I get spotted because of the odd sight lines of enemies I just get frustrated and reload a save. It's gotten easier to get a hang of the nuances as I've gotten farther, but I still get really pissed whenever I get discovered somehow. Is this just me?

HolyTaco

Wow, I thought I got the bad ending but
He just said he was disappointed in me and said this would be the last time I see him lol, it was funny because I felt I'd been pretty prudent with my killing. One of the few things about the game that annoyed me, to get the good ending you really have to be damn good. No killing assassins or weepers or Boyle or any of those other fucks. A very binary interpretation of how you played the game which if you were quite borderline like me seemed really out of place.

Really liked this game though, so far one of the best this year but I still haven't played XCOM and really looking forward to Natural Selection 2

Dresden

Anyone else have a love-hate relationship with this game? I absolutely love everything about this game when I'm nailing the stealth stuff, but as soon as I get spotted because of the odd sight lines of enemies I just get frustrated and reload a save. It's gotten easier to get a hang of the nuances as I've gotten farther, but I still get really pissed whenever I get discovered somehow. Is this just me?

Are you going for a nonlethal? You can just feather them with a sleep dart and keep moving.

Unless you're going for Ghost, which always seemed a bit too tedious to try.

Rufus

Ghost is quite easy thanks to Blink. There are only a few spots where I would recommend to choke people out
Daud's hideout, for instance
because waiting for the right moment takes too long. Otherwise it's easier to never even step onto the guard's routes.
I realized a ghost play-through would be quite short so I went ahead and did it. Flesh and Steel, Clean Hands, Ghost, Shadow in one go. Took six hours or so. Knowing the levels helps a lot, of course. But I found a few new passages as well.

It's quite amazing how many different paths there are and just how much of a level you will never see if you do it a particular way. It actually makes me appreciate the collectables.

JohngPR

Beat it earlier today.

One of the best stealth games I've played. The art direction, gameplay systems, and attention to detail is top notch. More than any other game, Dishonored made me feel like things were happening on the fly and did a great job of not letting you see the puppet strings that makes it all work.

Some people complained that the ending was disappointing (I got the low chaos ending) but I liked it. It reminded me a little bit of
Bioshock 1's ending
except that it didn't totally suck. It could have used a little more resolution from a few characters but it was nice, albeit a bit simple.

Raw64life

On the Dunwall Tower mission. Haven't been 100% stealthing but I've gotten the ghost check mark on a couple missions and I rarely kill anyone unless it just seems like way too much work. In general I've been playing this game at an ultra deliberate pace, but I just got into the Dunwall Tower interior and god damn is it huge. Without saving I went on a rampage to see just how big the place is and it made me not at all look forward to stealthing the entire place. I'm tempted to go on another rampage and save it this time but I want the low chaos ending.

DukeBobby

On the Dunwall Tower mission. Haven't been 100% stealthing but I've gotten the ghost check mark on a couple missions and I rarely kill anyone unless it just seems like way too much work. In general I've been playing this game at an ultra deliberate pace, but I just got into the Dunwall Tower interior and god damn is it huge. Without saving I went on a rampage to see just how big the place is and it made me not at all look forward to stealthing the entire place. I'm tempted to go on another rampage and save it this time but I want the low chaos ending.

I found Dunwall Tower to be quite overwhelming at first. The sheer number of guards and maids made it a pain in the ass to navigate. It wasn't until my second playthrough when I realised you could save a lot of time (and effort) by
moving across the chandeliers, thus avoiding most of the guards in the hallways.
Still probably my least favourite mission in the game, though.

Top Bottom