• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Tess3ract

Banned
I gave up trying to explain this to people when I was bitching about the exploration in Xenoblade. All there was to find in that empty world was (more) EXP for discovering landmarks, bosses you couldn't kill until later on with the shitty battle system, and minerals that were only useful later in the game when they actually had more of an effect.
Wow, it's like they were giving you a reason to go back and explore!

Also it wasn't empty, the whole point of exploring wasn't to find some super weapon, it was to find a little secret, or a nice viewpoint. The landmarks weren't useless, because it made it less tedious to journey around in the world, especially with all the sidequests which would have been awful otherwise.

The battle system was actually pretty awesome and about as PC oriented as you can get on the wii, so props for that.

And you can beat some of the bosses at a lower level, if you're good at the game.

Balphon

Question: for the achievement "Mostly Flesh and Steel," am I allowed to upgrade Blink to level 2? The description is a little fuzzy on this, as you get Blink level 1 for free as part of the game's story.

"Finish the game without purchasing any supernatural powers or enhancements, besides Blink"

No.

Rufus

Pretty abrupt ending. Fairly anti-climactic, too, though I did appreciate
Havlock's little monologue.
Curious to find out what a high chaos play through looks like. Don't think I'll be going for Ghost or Flesh and Steel though. Not any time soon, anyway.

The thing I'm most disappointed about: The Outsider. I wanted to know more. Is he malevolent? I can't decide.

Oh, and
it's the empresses heart, right? It seems obvious, but it's never confirmed, unless I've missed something.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks for the clarification.

Oh, and
it's the empresses heart, right? It seems obvious, but it's never confirmed, unless I've missed something.
I'm almost totally certain it's her heart.

On a non-spoiler note: do any of you remember the line the Heart says about her parents? "My father had golden hair, my mother like ash." I'm almost totally certain that's a reference to Paul Celan's "Todesfuge" which has the lines "your golden hair Margarete / your ashen hair Sulamith."

Enco

I really like the little details that there was no good reason to include but they make the game that much more polished

like with High overseer Campbell.
I've been doing a nonlethal playthrough, and branded that asshole with the heretic mark. So when I get to the Flooded District, at the bottom of the Refinery, I tumble upon a note from the ex-High Overseer. He curses my name for sending him there, and reveals that he has caught the plague now thanks to this. And then, after I finished reading it, I hear some moans and there the high overseer creeps out from around the corner, in newly minted Weeper mode. Brand on his face and all!

This shit is supposed to be the 'low-chaos' method? It's like a billion times worse than just killing him! The shit I did to the Pendleton Brothers is like lifelong torture. Just kill the poor saps instead lol
Holy shit :lol

I would've
killed him then.

Feature

Banned
Been playing this with cheats (trainer) and find it more enjoyable that way. No mana costs and 0 blink time and unlimited ammo make it more fun for me. I accidently bought the upgrade where people you kill turn to ash. Is there a way to turn that off? I like picking up dead bodies and throwing them off cliffs etc.. Also I have all the powers unlocked but can only use a couple of them because my weapon bar is full. Is there a way to assign a power to a certain weapon slot?

also, how do you do that branding someone as heretic?

Zeliard

The game is designed to accommodate both stealth and action playthroughs.

I make it a game to kill enemies in a different way each time, and to generally use what I have at my disposal. This is basically how I spend my time with the game's combat:

http://youtu.be/H_vW55TsANA

I treat it like the sandbox of toys that it is, and it's glorious fun. Sometimes I'll make it a point not to be seen as I kill everything in the room, other times I'll go full-blown Quake-style and speed around obliterating everything. And other times I'll mix and match the two styles, taking out a few guys in stealth while leaving others to wonder what the fuck just happened, and leap out like a demon from the shadows to eradicate the rest after they've properly soiled themselves.

SJRB

Gold Member
So what was the deal with Granny Rags? I'm pretty sure I screwed up somewhere.

I helped her against the bottle street gang, but during the final encounter I helped Slackjaw. It became clear to me that she was more than an old confused lady but paranormal being of sorts. So I put her medallion in the furnace and when the rats came for me I blinked behind her and choked her the fuck out instead of killing her.

..I wasn't supposed to to that, was I? I'm pretty sure that I didn't get the "quest finished" check.

Pretty abrupt ending. Fairly anti-climactic, too, though I did appreciate
Havlock's little monologue.
Curious to find out what a high chaos play through looks like. Don't think I'll be going for Ghost or Flesh and Steel though. Not any time soon, anyway.

The thing I'm most disappointed about: The Outsider. I wanted to know more. Is he malevolent? I can't decide.

Oh, and

The wiki speculates (from in-game books) that the Outsider might be an ocean Leviathan. Considering that runes are made from "regular" whales, and that the oceans of Dishonored are marred in legend and monsters, I could believe him to be a massive creature with easy access to the void. There's even a hint from the Heart about what would happen if all the leviathans die.

meta4

So what was the deal with Granny Rags? I'm pretty sure I screwed up somewhere.

I helped her against the bottle street gang, but during the final encounter I helped Slackjaw. It became clear to me that she was more than an old confused lady but paranormal being of sorts. So I put her medallion in the furnace and when the rats came for me I blinked behind her and choked her the fuck out instead of killing her.

..I wasn't supposed to to that, was I? I'm pretty sure that I didn't get the "quest finished" check.

You will
have to kill her I think to get the quest finished. Just knife her unconscious body and then release Slackjaw by pulling the lever. That should get all the quests completed. Worked for me.

Rufus

The wiki speculates (from in-game books) that the Outsider might be an ocean Leviathan. Considering that runes are made from "regular" whales, and that the oceans of Dishonored are marred in legend and monsters, I could believe him to be a massive creature with easy access to the void. There's even a hint from the Heart about what would happen if all the leviathans die.
I figured as much, but he seems awfully random for someone or something I would assume to have more predictable motives in light of that. If he is indeed what the game implies. Judging by his actions, he just seems to be a spectator, entertaining himself. I guess he could be trying to have some spiteful fun, knowing that his time is coming to an end? But then again, "coming darkness" suggests that the death of the last whale would spell doom for the world.

That said, a clearer or more coherent motive (and more direct involvement) would push the game world even closer to Thief as it already is. Not sure if that would be a good thing.

Finished the game this weekend, quite the gaming treat I think. I sort of regret that I did a complete no-kill run, since at times I really wanted to kill some of these guys :p.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
You will
have to kill her I think to get the quest finished. Just knife her unconscious body and then release Slackjaw by pulling the lever. That should get all the quests completed. Worked for me.

Negative. You can finish Slackjaw's last quest by knocking her out. No need to kill her, though the game has been acting weird about "Clean Hands" in regards to this section of the game.

Plans for second playthrough of Dishonored:
Get the following achievements:
-Ghost
-Shadow
-Mostly Flesh and Steel
-Clean Hands
-Art Dealer

Get all bone charms and blueprints, and hit all Outsider shrines.

Amir0x

Banned
Holy shit :lol

I would've
killed him then.

Haha,
I wanted to but... nonlethal playthrough.

Speaking of, killing rats and River Krusts and stuff don't count against your nonlethality, right? But I'm pretty sure killing a Weeper does, no?

Holy crap, I totally missed that. That's awesome.

Yeah, I just laughed so hard. There are actually quite a few little details that enhance the polish. The negative to this is that sometimes it's reflecting in notes rather than dialogue. Not all the time, but sometimes when you nonlethally do away with someone they'll just act like you killed the individual, but then later you'll get a note of thanks for sparing the life or something.

Ami why do you continue to be my Brutha from another mutha. I just went through something similar during the first mission.

It's a fun time, isn't it?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh, and

Never explicitly stated but its quite obvious, using the heart on some high level characters has very revealing lines that pretty much validate this.

meta4

Negative. You can finish Slackjaw's last quest by knocking her out. No need to kill her, though the game has been acting weird about "Clean Hands" in regards to this section of the game.

Oh wow really? My game must have glitched out then because the quest was not getting updated to complete even after I
released Slackjaw. So I went back to her body and knifed her after releasing him. Lol. Interesting. Will try it again then.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow really? My game must have glitched out then because the quest was not getting updated to complete even after I
released Slackjaw. So I went back to her body and knifed her after releasing him. Lol. Interesting. Will try it again then.

Just to clarify: what I did to get the Slackjaw quest achievement was to destroy her locket and sleep dart her, then free Slackjaw. I did not kill her, though I think the game glitched and didn't give me Clean Hands because of this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Soooo...the game seems a lot shorter than I was expecting. I'm loving it, but I haven't really put in THAT much time and it feels like they're already rushing to a conclusion.

Tell me, I just completed the "Lady Boyle" mission (which was excellent). How much more of the game is left?

Interfectum

Soooo...the game seems a lot shorter than I was expecting. I'm loving it, but I haven't really put in THAT much time and it feels like they're already rushing to a conclusion.

Tell me, I just completed the "Lady Boyle" mission (which was excellent). How much more of the game is left?

I believe there are 3-4 missions after that. I just completed the Lady Boyle mission this weekend... easily the best one in the game so far. Felt like I was playing Hitman a little bit.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

"Lady Boyle" is mission 5 of 9.

Question: for the achievement "Mostly Flesh and Steel," am I allowed to upgrade Blink to level 2? The description is a little fuzzy on this, as you get Blink level 1 for free as part of the game's story.

"Finish the game without purchasing any supernatural powers or enhancements, besides Blink"

Can you use bone charms you find during gameplay and still get the achievement since you don't actually "purchase" them?

Wiggum2007

I like the party mission but finding your target was way too simple. Rather than simply talking to the person or finding the note that says TARGET IS X, the game should have scattered about a number of small clues without ever directly telling you who the target was, and leaving it to the player's own judgement. Felt pretty lame stumbling upon the identity after barely 5 minutes in the mansion.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Can you use bone charms you find during gameplay and still get the achievement since you don't actually "purchase" them?

I think bone charms are OK. Powers and Enhancements are specific supernatural upgrades.

Derrick01

Banned
I like the party mission but finding your target was way too simple. Rather than simply talking to the person or finding the note that says TARGET IS X, the game should have scattered about a number of small clues without ever directly telling you who the target was, and leaving it to the player's own judgement. Felt pretty lame stumbling upon the identity after barely 5 minutes in the mansion.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of that mission. If anything it highlights the problems I have with making the game too easy. Coming into that game it was one of the more talked about missions due to the walkthrough trailer and after I set foot in the mansion I was able to complete it in the non lethal way in no more than 15 minutes.

I liked the atmosphere and everything about the mission from a set up point of view. It was like a Hitman mission, but not executed nearly as well.

I never thought of that but it makes perfect sense. How cool. I have to say I love the time they have put into the lore. It's a strong foundation for the sequels.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, I enjoyed the mission a lot (took it slow), but once you find that note it really takes the wind out of its sails. I was genuinely expecting some clues to find that would reveal the target.

For instance, in one of the rooms, you find a note suggesting that Esma (?) wouldn't be seen without a drink in her hand. So I'm thinking, "OK, the target probably won't have a drink in hand". I was kind of hoping it would continue along that line of thinking.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah, I enjoyed the mission a lot (took it slow), but once you find that note it really takes the wind out of its sails. I was genuinely expecting some clues to find that would reveal the target.

For instance, in one of the rooms, you find a note suggesting that Esma (?) wouldn't be seen without a drink in her hand. So I'm thinking, "OK, the target probably won't have a drink in hand". I was kind of hoping it would continue along that line of thinking.

You don't even have to go upstairs at all. I found the identity in 5 minutes just mingling with the other guests. From there the rest of my short time with the mission was finding out how to get rid of her in a non lethal way, which was pretty easy. All I had to do was
talk to her and tell her she's in danger

On another note I think this game could have benefited from some kind of speech skill check.

I never thought of that but it makes perfect sense. How cool. I have to say I love the time they have put into the lore. It's a strong foundation for the sequels.

And yet the designers have specifically said this might be our first and only glimpse into Dunwall, regardless of the game's success. In a way, that would be maybe the most ballsy and refreshing move in a long long time.

Given it seems to be getting reasonable sales though, it's almost guaranteed to be serialized.

Rufus

On another note I think this game could have benefited from some kind of speech skill check.
For what? There's not enough dialogue to necessitate that. Though it would be cool if you were forced to find a different non-lethal route if you had been carving your way to and through your target. On the Boyle mission specifically.

Derrick01

Banned
For what? There's not enough dialogue to necessitate that. Though it would be cool if you were forced to find a different non-lethal route if you had been carving your way to and through your target. On the Boyle mission specifically.

The options that do exist contribute to the ease of the game because there's no penalty or nothing to stop you from selecting it. The example I used
you can just walk up to her and pick the option and she'll (as far as I'm aware) always listen and react to that choice, which in result puts her in a nice spot where you can easily and quickly take her out either lethally or nonlethal. She went down to the basement for me where the guy who was going to take her was waiting in a boat. So I didn't even have to carry her through the mansion, all the work was done for me with a simple dialog selection.

Balphon

Just to clarify: what I did to get the Slackjaw quest achievement was to destroy her locket and sleep dart her, then free Slackjaw. I did not kill her, though I think the game glitched and didn't give me Clean Hands because of this.

Yeah, and for that reason it's probably in your best interest to avoid talking to/doing anything for Granny Rags at any point if you want to get Clean Hands.

Dantis

Does the game get good again after chapter 6? Loved the first five, but that was fucking dire.

Edit: I mean chapter 7 apparently.

Hindle

Banned
Just finished, overall a great game. Better then Deus HR and just as good as Bioshock IMO. I'm now doing a no kills playthrough and search out some Easter eggs.

Hindle

Banned
The Outsider is a cool character, if they were to do a sequel I'd approach it as Outsider giving people power in different worlds or something. This series G man figure basically.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
The Outsider is a cool character, if they were to do a sequel I'd approach it as Outsider giving people power in different worlds or something. This series G man figure basically.

I am an idiot and totally missed the part where he said he was The Outsider... I thought Corvo was the outsider... lol

Great game though! Had a bunch of fun not killing anyone and then flipping a 180 and killing everyone near the end! Loved it and cant wait to play through it again.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Very interested in picking this game up. Any deal for the digital version on PC? Can even be a small one for 25% off.

I think the Gamefly code still works. youll have to check on their site to see if it is a steam code or if you have to use the Gamefly client to play.
2GFT82012

Minamu

I think Curnow saw me and turned red before running away during the first mission. The end screen did say Ghost but it didn't have a check mark. Should I restart?

I think Curnow saw me and turned red before running away during the first mission. The end screen did say Ghost but it didn't have a check mark. Should I restart?
It's a checkbox, if it's not checked then you didn't get ghost. Restart if you'd like to do a ghost run.

I think the Gamefly code still works. youll have to check on their site to see if it is a steam code or if you have to use the Gamefly client to play.
2GFT82012

bah I just went ahead and bought it off steam for $60. I'm a big fan of bioshock so I'm sure ill like the game. From what I have seen its awesome.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Disagree. I think a speech check skill would have gone against the spirit of the design, that is to say involved, player driven actions versus checks and dice rolls. What they should have done to in this instance is make the method of acquiring information from the party guests more demanding and vague, such as a variety of clues from multiple sources that encourage investigative work on the ground floor, and dialogue options that can be made incorrectly thus blocking off further discussion. They kinda did that with the targets, but actually learning the target's identity is bizarrely easy and counter productive to the level's design.

But yeah, Dishnored is a game built on player driven action and interactivity, where puzzle design and cerebral interactivity is done literally at the hands of the player rather than any skill checks and dice rolls. You make a mistake, get a puzzle wrong, or have to work something out, and the onus is completely on you. That's how the game is designed and where it's at its best. It was a shame to see that mission regress to such a boring solution.

During my playthrough I
still went upstairs because I wanted to see the other investigative options, and do some looting, but the fact it wasn't necessary is pretty silly design.
Granted I haven't got to that mission on my high chaos/lethal playthrough, and I'm wondering if
party guests are unwilling to divulge info under the different world circumstances

Derrick01

Banned
Disagree. I think a speech check skill would have gone against the spirit of the design, that is to say involved, player driven actions versus checks and dice rolls. What they should have done to in this instance is make the method of acquiring information from the party guests more demanding and vague, such as a variety of clues from multiple sources that encourage investigative work on the ground floor, and dialogue options that can be made incorrectly thus blocking off further discussion. They kinda did that with the targets, but actually learning the target's identity is bizarrely easy and counter productive to the level's design.

The bolded is kind of what I meant really. Anything that makes it harder than a choice that can easily and always be selected which makes the mission about 10 minutes long. There's no challenge or skill involved doing it the way it is now because there's no risk of failing the speech check (because there is none).

Dantis

Just finished. I really felt like chapter 7 brought the game down a bit, and chapter 8 wasn't great, but chapter 9 was a return to form. The ending was simple, but nice.

Great game.

Top Bottom