• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Zeliard

The game absolutely shines if you do it "iron man" and don't bother about pure stealth/ghost/no kills. That style is great too, but it's just straight up FUN to improvise, use the (insanely powerful) pistol, the rat stuff, all the tools.

Exactly. I keep harping on this because the game really comes into its own when you let loose and treat it as a sandbox of fun, murderous toys to play with.

I like the sound of the dunwall trials and more story driven dlc is always welcome.

Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials, being released in December for $4.99 (or 400 Microsoft Points), will include 10 challenge maps that will test and track your combat, stealth and mobility skills. Ten distinct trials await challengers – including an arena battle against waves of enemy AI, a gravity-defying run of drop assassinations, and a race against the clock. Dunwall City Trials also features a whole new set of achievements and trophies as well as a global online leaderboard that will establish the greatest assassins for each challenge.

The second and third add-ons for Dishonored will be coming in 2013 and will each feature story-driven campaigns. Pricing on these two packs will be revealed closer to launch.

Daud, the leader of a group of supernatural assassins known as ‘The Whalers’, will be the focus of the second add-on pack, scheduled for release in early Spring 2013. Make your way through new Dunwall locales and discover Daud’s own set of weapons, powers and gadgets in this story-driven campaign. How you play and the choices you make will impact the final outcome…

Additional story details on the third add-on pack will be revealed closer to its launch next year.

I think i'll skip the first one and wait for two and three. Not really interested in time trials, i'd much rather the story based missions.

Neat, glad to see they're covering a range of DLC idea though. Options are good.

Derrick01

Banned
I have no interest in challenge maps but hopefully the mission stuff is as well designed as the first mission was. They can kind of get away with missions in the full game that last for 20 minutes but if I pay $10 for a DLC that lasts that long I'm not going to be happy at all.

sephi22

Fuck it I'm doing it again. The whole game. Shouldn't take too long if I stick to the main objectives.
Fuck granny rags and her stanky ass cooch, fuck Slackjaw and his band of drunk lunatics, fuck the Runes, fuck the outsider.

Only Blink this time.

thefil

Holy shit the
Daud
packs sound fucking awesome. I wanted him to have a bigger role in the main game. He was a fascinating character.

I can't be the only one for whom this was entirely obvious.
Daud
was such a weirdly developed character in the main game, it seemed completely apparent to me that he was meant for DLC.

I will buy all the DLC.

I'm less than thrilled about how the first DLC sounds, but I'm very intrigued by the second. New missions, new powers, a chance to better develop Daud and the Outsider? Yes.

ctrayne

Echoing love for
Daud.
Thrilled they are going down that route.

I just wanted to give a little more credit to the game's story. I think it's under-appreciated. The environmental storytelling employed is way more interesting to me than any cutscenes are, and who doesn't love a coup of a coup more than another "save the world" story?

Echoing love for
Daud.
Thrilled they are going down that route.

I just wanted to give a little more credit to the game's story. I think it's under-appreciated. The environmental storytelling employed is way more interesting to me than any cutscenes are, and who doesn't love a coup of a coup more than another "save the world" story?

Yeah its great. The backstory is the most exciting part of the game. Plus the heart is brilliant.

Clevinger

I was finally able to really start the game after being engrossed in XCOM.

This game has amazing atmosphere. Hot damn. Really enjoying it so far.

Just completed it on a 'reactive' playthrough - i.e. no reloading for cheevos etc. Loved it, though I do have a couple of minor nitpicks.

1. Ending is a bit too abrupt, not in terms of length but in terms of denouement.
2. Would like the Outside to have been fleshed out a bit more - possibly linked to the end.
Havelock being a bad'un was so obvious, i was hoping there was some other twist

Other than that I had a blast, reminded me of Thief so much. Eidos Montreal will have their work cut out for Thief 4!

Minamu

Just beat my stealth run and got clean hands, ghost, mostly flesh and steel, just dark enough and finally shadow. The intro where the Empress is killed, those assassins CAN be killed. I've also killed rats that attacked me. I was sort spotted by the rocket tower on the last mission and I THINK it shot rockets at me once but the soldiers never came running.

Only having Blink is really frustrating, imho. Fun times for sure but the constant reloading because of screw ups was annoying. Next time I'm going for all the paintings, and some cleaning up of the combat acheivements.

RedSwirl

So the heart is just going to straight-up tell me that
Wallace is a spy?! Now I'm actually thinking about killing him somewhere isolated and seeing if anyone else would notice.

By the way, I had no idea the heart actually tells you things about specific people as well when you aim it at them.

Minamu

So the heart is just going to straight-up tell me that
Wallace is a spy?! Now I'm actually thinking about killing him somewhere isolated and seeing if anyone else would notice.

By the way, I had no idea the heart actually tells you things about specific people as well when you aim it at them.
From what I've heard, that's not true.
They just screwed up and made the heart think that Wallace is a random npc (same or a similar line of dialogue can apparently be heard elsewhere).

Jswanko

Im super impressed with the atmosphere of this game. The universe is really interesting and strange in ways I didn't expect. Picking up tidbits about magic, whale oil and the unpopulated jungle land across the sea really makes me wish they make more games in the universe.

Rufus

From what I've heard, that's not true.
They just screwed up and made the heart think that Wallace is a random npc (same or a similar line of dialogue can apparently be heard elsewhere).
Same with Lydia. Generic comments made about any maid.

commissar

The image on the beth blog seems to me like the trials will be in the void, awesome

Reminds me of the Mirror's Edge DLC :D

I think I will buy all of these packs

Wrapped up my first playthrough tonight - high chaos. Ending was indeed quite abrupt, though I expected it going in so it didn't bother me so much. The high chaos ending wasn't quite as "dark" as I thought it would be, so the low chaos ending must be practically cheery in comparison.

My biggest complaint, story-wise,
is that the Outsider is never really fleshed out and we never get a conclusion as far as his character is concerned. I expected him to largely remain a mystery - I preferred it, in fact - but he just sort of existed to give you neat powers and turn you lose. Think about it: the game would remain largely the same if you removed the Outsider, and just had Corvo gain his powers from a magic amulet, or something. There should have been more Outsider worshippers like Granny Rags, or maybe tie him to the rat plague and the "Doom of Pandyssia", whatever the hell that is supposed to be. Hope to see more of the Outsider in the DLC.

I now begin my second playthrough, no kills, as little sightings as possible.

I haven't given much attention to this game at all and caught it off gamefly to try out. One question I have is in regards to the AI. I started on normal difficulty, but I couldn't help but notice how dumb the AI seemed to be. They never see anything unless you do it right in front of them, and they aren't reactive at all to the world around them. I killed a guard that was in mid conversation, left a big blood stain and head on the floor, and it caused not a peep out of the others that saw it. I do like the feel of it, the looks, and the controls, but does the AI actually get better on higher difficulty, or just more cheap?

GolazoDan

Been playing a bit more of this over the last few days, still not very far but I just did the mission where you have to
abduct Sokolov
and it was really good fun. I didn't kill anyone and only set off a single alarm near the end which I was pleased with as I'm terrible at stealth games. Really reminds me of the Arkham games in that I feel really powerful but still need to apply those powers with some skill to succeed. Don't feel nearly as helplessly vulnerable as I do in some other stealth games. Sleep darts all the way, baby.

If there's a rat plague, why are people eating skewered rats?

High overseerer mission spoiler
how did corvo know which glass was which to poison?

everytime I have a nitpick I think it in plinketts voice

Minamu

Dunno about the rats but there might've been a note or talk about the spoiler somewhere :S

SJRB

Gold Member

He didn't.

The overseer wanted to poison Martin. The overseer already poured the drinks and would give the poisoned glass to Martin, so Corvo simply switched the glasses so the overseer would give the clean drink to Martin without realising it. Which is why he comments something like "how is this possible" before he collapses on the floor.

So about the
non-lethal run of the Lady Boyle
mission...
Am I right in thinking that Lord Brisby's love for Boyle wasn't exactly mutual? There was just something about what he said after you had brought her to the boat.
I played that mission through with my girlfriend and we agreed to go non-lethal beforehand, but afterwards we felt (if our interpretation of that scene was correct) kind of shitty...

So about the
non-lethal run of the Lady Boyle
mission...
Am I right in thinking that Lord Brisby's love for Boyle wasn't exactly mutual? There was just something about what he said after you had brought her to the boat.
I played that mission through with my girlfriend and we agreed to go non-lethal beforehand, but afterwards we felt (if our interpretation of that scene was correct) kind of shitty...

Yup, he specifically says one day she'll learn to love me.

The shit you do to people in non-lethal is often much worse than killing them.

The image on the beth blog seems to me like the trials will be in the void, awesome

Reminds me of the Mirror's Edge DLC :D

I think I will buy all of these packs

That would be fucking great. Abstraction of the level design in games like this makes so much sense, and really lets the devs run wild. Can't wait.. for all the DLC. GOTY.

What happened? :)

When you go to retrieve your gear in the Flooded District, if you used the Heretic's Brand on Campbell, you'll find him roaming around as a weeper near where you find your gear. There's also a letter that you can find in which he curses Corvo and laments his own death. :p
I wasn't expecting that at all; I was pretty impressed but horrified at the same time. I wasn't expecting the 'non-lethal' options to go so deep, to be quite honest.

When you go to retrieve your gear in the Flooded District, if you used the Heretic's Brand on Campbell, you'll find him roaming around as a weeper near where you find your gear. There's also a letter that you can find in which he curses Corvo and laments his own death. :p
I wasn't expecting that at all; I was pretty impressed but horrified at the same time. I wasn't expecting the 'non-lethal' options to go so deep, to be quite honest.

And that depth is what makes the game so fantastic. I don't think any other game has put so much effort into making you feel the weight of your decisions.

Top Bottom