• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Found, no, but dead. Dropped someone in a puddle or from too high up? They die from falls quite easily. Go through the mission select from the main menu and look for the mission that says you killed someone. Might jog your memory.

Yeah I did that and I haven't killed anyone. I even did all the passive stuff with the targets. I should've gotten ghost and clean hands but didn't, puzzling and disheartening. :(

epmode

Yeah I did that and I haven't killed anyone. I even did all the passive stuff with the targets. I should've gotten ghost and clean hands but didn't, puzzling and disheartening. :(

I hear that the final Granny Rags quest glitches the Clean Hands achievement. Skip it.

epmode

I didn't get the achievement either. Then I decided that I didn't care.

In retrospect, I should have gone with a more lethal playthrough. Dishonored's stealth is decent but it just isn't the same without a real shadow mechanic. And even though Blink is goddamned incredible, it's overpowered for a pure stealth run.

Rufus

The line of sight thing worked well enough, I thought. Took some getting used to, the leaning as well, but it ended up feeling no different than Thief to me. I agree on Blink being somewhat overpowered for that, but I did greatly appreciate not having to wait for someone to move away from a spot when I could just blink behind them and continue on my merry way. And it made traversal a lot of fun.

The Flooded District (specifically the hideout) and returning to the Hound Pits pub was the ultimate test of stealth, I thought. Well, walking out the door was, at least. A Tallboy, three guards and one guy periodically opening the back door to the bar was quite something. The rest of the map is less challenging and gets even easier once you know how to solve it quickly, but first time through took some doing.

Killing is not in any way discouraged. Sure there's a screen which informs you that killing people makes the world a darker place in the form of more rats and weepers but those are hardly a deterrent if you're playing high chaos. The mechanics don't really discourage killing people, if anything most of them are geared towards just that. The only thing the game does to punish aggression is large groups of guards can take Corvo down if you don't have enough health potions, are just spamming the melee attack and not really making smart use of your powers and gadgets.

Virtually all of the acquirable gadgets are lethal and half of the acquirable supernatural skill set is geared towards combat/aggression. You don't have a non-lethal melee weapon or an option to never draw the lethal melee weapon to just use your power. Aside from knocking a person out with a choke hold, the only other non-lethal option is the tranq bolt. It's not like you have the equivalent of Thief's moss or water arrows to aid you in stealth. Not that extinguishable light sources play a huge role in the stealth mechanics in this game. You don't have a noise-maker bolt to mislead guards, I know there are usually throw-able objects aplenty but the point is, there isn't an equal amount of lethal and non-lethal gadgets to choose between.

Mechanically Dishonored does not discourage the player from killing people, it kind of encourages it when you look at the arsenal you can purchase. You always have a sword in your hand, you cannot choose to never draw a sword or use some non-lethal equivalent. The drawback of which could be the inability to transition from knock-out to stealthy pick-up, it's a quick knock out, that could cause a sound when the body hits the ground, potentially alerting other guards. The only choice is to not use the always-present sword in hand. You don't have a landmine that spews out a net or blast of sleeping gas, just one that expels razor wire that eviscerates the target. You don't have sleep, smoke or flash grenades, just the explosive variety. Imagine if the water bolt could not only extinguish candles and torches but also short out electrical light sources. Or even if standard bolts could be used to stealthily break light sources.

There's a missing spectrum of mechanics and abilities for non-lethal play.

There really isn't. What you're suggesting would make lethal and non-lethal playstyles largely the same. What exactly is the point of separating the two when the difference lies in a single button press?

The Chef

I was honestly just about to post the exact same thing.

I just finished my non-lethal, low chaos and it is so great how different the game is. Arkane has done everything they can to make you feel like you have been making the honorable choices and they have gone to great lengths to reward you. I especially love:
- Emilys Drawings(subtle but powerful)
- Calista surviving and being reunited with her Uncle
- Sparing Dauds life "You didn't choose revenge....Astonishing"
- Samuels farewell "Goodluck Corvo I count myself lucky to have known a man like you" awwwww
- Whole sections of the game where there were weepers are now familys trying to survive like in the sewers. There was a big section after you beat Granny where there was a lot of weepers. Not on this play-through just a bunch of family members trying to get smuggled out of the country.
- The whole end level as you described except and this is really cool Havelock didn't take care of Pendleton or Martin he said they had 'Fled' and proceeds to go on this long dialogue about all the wrong choices he has made and how he used to be a honorable man. You actually feel bad for him so bad I saved and decided to reveal myself to him. You jump down and he apologizes and tells you to take the key and free Emily but the second you do he turns on you. Now I decided to kill him just for the heck of it and what a satisfying death scene. He pulls his gun on you, you stab your blade through his elbow forcing his gun arm to turn back toward his face and he gives one last look of shock before he is blown away. I LOVE IT.

- The whole end w/ you by Emilys side, really really great stuff.
Most satisfying and rewarding two play-throughs I have had in a game. I have said this once already but Arkane has done the best job I have seen of giving you a reason to play this game.
note-only played 2 hours of alpha protocol and couldn't get past the dreadful ai and clunkiness.

- Fantastic atmosphere and world

Alright enough gushing. GOTY for me easily so far.

32 hours :)

Yup, yup and yup. H4 is going to have some stiff competition.

d00d3n

Omfg, such a fantastic power gaming moment at the start of mission 2:

Finding being ambushed outside of the distillery annoying. Then reloading the game and using blink to silently knock out all of the ambushers. Placing them in neat stacks and stealing their stuff. No kills. No alerts.

Aside from being an obvious GOTY contender the game must surely be one of the most fun games ever to play from a power gaming perspective.

Salsa

after about 50 hours of XCOM, playing through Hotline Miami and some other stuff, I just got back to my second non-lethal, unseen, blink-only playthrough

I know it's been a short time since I last played but between not playing for a while and playing it on a different manner: fuck do I love this game

still GOTY

after about 50 hours of XCOM, playing through Hotline Miami and some other stuff, I just got back to my second non-lethal, unseen, blink-only playthrough

I know it's been a short time since I last played but between not playing for a while and playing it on a different manner: fuck do I love this game

still GOTY

Bro fist Salsa.
I'm just starting X-Com

Fabrik

Banned
Ok I've just finished it. No idea what my final playtime is but it felt a bit short overall.
What I liked:

+ The art design, Dunwall and the characters have a strong identity. I think the game is very pleasing to the eye.
+ The controls. Corvo is agile and everything respond fluidly. It's a pleasure to move within the environments.
+ The open-ended-ness of the levels. Several ways to tackle obstacles.

What I didn't like/was dissapointed:

- The levels feel compartmented. A single world using streaming ala Arkham Asylum would have be better. Pressing A to confirm you want to go to the next area breaks the immersion and the cohesiveness of the level. Maybe next-gen? lol

- Stealth and a non-lethal playthrough are encouraged but it's impossible for me and I feel punished for being detected. Going in all guns blazing is fun but ultimately breaks the game and reduce the length of the game considerably.

- The story is way too simple. Politics schemes, betrayals, conspiracies, the pest, the Outsider are way underdeveloped. Everything is either black or white. You don't get to see many facets of the world which is a shame because what's there is excellent. More depth along the lines of Baldur's Gate would have been awesome.

- Even though I appreciated the fact there are several ways to reach your target, I still felt it was a bit to linear. Like a large corridor with several compartments but still a corridor. The levels should have been more "symetrical" with an "island" type of design.

Overall I'd give the game a 7/10. I would like to explore this world more and don't feel the need for a replay.

I have also just recently finished the game and whilst it has some excellent parts, I largely was disappointed by it. The game just didn't click with me, the world wasn't very interesting which made me not want to read any of the books or messages that expanded upon it. I felt like I couldn't get invested in the storyline which was just kinda boring.

I only paid £27 for it and have just traded it in for £28 so no harm done lol

ctrayne

GOTY for me easily so far.[/B]

Same here, glad to see some others enjoying it as much as I have. Too much complaining, not enough exploring, experimenting and assassinating!

My current Steam timer for Dishonored is 46 hours, which is the exact same as my current DXHR playtime.

Flooded District and the Sewers is infuriating. THOSE FUCKING PLANTS.

I rage quit. The remaining levels better make up for this piece of shit.

The plants are easy. Lob a cooked grenade their way. Problem gone.
The Flooded District is also one of my favorite parts of the game. It's less linear than people think.

The Chef

Just Completed my frst playthrough. So spectacular.
What a tragic ending. I want a big ass picture of Sam the boatman about to get obliterated by that rouge wave. Really cool ending song too.
After thinking about it for a bit I think the only thing that ever really annoyed me about the game was the grossly repeated dialogue: "Shall we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?" "Chances are very good." "Rat's...Elixer...Plague.. Bunch of crap" and my personal favorite:
"Stupid mammahamma stupid god damn...soomoohomo" So annoying.

Where does it say my completion time?
Credits just took me back to the home screen.

Just Completed my frst playthrough. So spectacular.
What a tragic ending. I want a big ass picture of Sam the boatman about to get obliterated by that rouge wave. Really cool ending song too.
After thinking about it for a bit I think the only thing that ever really annoyed me about the game was the grossly repeated dialogue: "Shall we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?" "Chances are very good." "Rat's...Elixer...Plague.. Bunch of crap" and my personal favorite:
"Stupid mammahamma stupid god damn...soomoohomo" So annoying.

Where does it say my completion time?
Credits just took me back to the home screen.

Ha yeah the random "responses" start to get ridiculous when you realize its just pairing things up like a magic 8 ball.

No weapons at all. Never needed em.

If you don't need the money just blink past them. You can avoid them easily enough.

Ok I've just finished it. No idea what my final playtime is but it felt a bit short overall.
What I liked:

- The story is way too simple. Politics schemes, betrayals, conspiracies, the pest, the Outsider are way underdeveloped. Everything is either black or white. You don't get to see many facets of the world which is a shame because what's there is excellent. More depth along the lines of Baldur's Gate would have been awesome.

Overall I'd give the game a 7/10. I would like to explore this world more and don't feel the need for a replay.

You get a lot more depth if you do a non-lethal run + explore all the areas. The journals and dialogue you get from people is more fleshed out.

Rufus

"Do you think you'll get your own squad after what happened last night?" must have been the one I heard most.

Also, the Flooded District has a bunch of dead Overseers littered about, most of which have one or two grenades and a pistol lying near them. Perfect for Krust dispersal.

Beat the game (with minimal bloodshed) this morning. It was a really satisfying experience; I wish more developers would make games like this that are so open to improvisation, experimentation and letting you go about the objectives in different ways. Good job Arkane! I hope the game sells very well.

Salsa

oQGeK.png

vCVVm.png

dfLAS.png

awh yessss

not sure what playthrough I enjoyed the most cause the powers the first time around were so fun. The changes while playing like this (specially how the last mission is almost totally different) were pretty damn cool. The high chaos "epilogue" scene was still a bit better.

im like 4 achievements short of 100% so I might do that, even though I could care less, but at 30+ hours id say im done with the game, at least for a while.

still GOTY

ctrayne

Something cool: (ending spoilers)

On my High Chaos play through,
when Sam gave me lip, I gave him a swipe of the blade and to my surprise he died and fell out of the boat. I felt pretty bad, but thought it was cool that was possible. I went ahead and finished the game, and in the ending sequence, Corvo is standing beside Sam's grave. I wondered if it did this anyway, since he mentioned thinking he had the plague, but I was surprised to find that normally the sequence shows Sam struggling against a tidal wave.

Another example of the game's attention to detail. I've pointed out a few things like this earlier, but I don't think I'm close to finding them all. The passive, environmental storytelling in particular is really strong; I don't think that can really be argued. It adds so much the plot, but a lot of people miss things or glaze over them. Not just talking about journals, either; there are some great non-verbal clues in certain areas.

oQGeK.png

vCVVm.png

dfLAS.png

awh yessss

Congrats! Did the same here.

Something cool: (ending spoilers)

On my High Chaos play through,
when Sam gave me lip, I gave him a swipe of the blade and to my surprise he died and fell out of the boat. I felt pretty bad, but thought it was cool that was possible. I went ahead and finished the game, and in the ending sequence, Corvo is standing beside Sam's grave. I wondered if it did this anyway, since he mentioned thinking he had the plague, but I was surprised to find that normally the sequence shows Sam struggling against a tidal wave.

Another example of the game's attention to detail. I've pointed out a few things like this earlier, but I don't think I'm close to finding them all. The passive, environmental storytelling in particular is really strong; I don't think that can really be argued. It adds so much the plot, but a lot of people miss things or glaze over them. Not just talking about journals, either; there are some great non-verbal clues in certain areas.

Congrats! Did the same here.
The thing you described w/ Sams grave is because you killed him. I did high chaos and he wasn't dead at the end. Very cool

Minamu

Mostly flesh and steel sort of kills it to be honest. But the stealth game was nice overall. Kinda annoying getting spotted every ten feet in some levels. I had to do reloads and saves after each encounter sometimes.

SJRB

Gold Member
oQGeK.png

vCVVm.png

dfLAS.png

awh yessss

not sure what playthrough I enjoyed the most cause the powers the first time around were so fun. The changes while playing like this (specially how the last mission is almost totally different) were pretty damn cool. The high chaos "epilogue" scene was still a bit better.

im like 4 achievements short of 100% so I might do that, even though I could care less, but at 30+ hours id say im done with the game, at least for a while.

still GOTY

Hats off to you, sir.

Mostly flesh and steel sort of kills it to be honest. But the stealth game was nice overall. Kinda annoying getting spotted every ten feet in some levels. I had to do reloads and saves after each encounter sometimes.
while going for a ghost run you're invariably going to do some save scumming, but the most fun i had was my "ironman" playthrough of sticking solely to the autosaves the game made and improvising every time i fumbled.

Minamu

while going for a ghost run you're invariably going to do some save scumming, but the most fun i had was my "ironman" playthrough of sticking solely to the autosaves the game made and improvising every time i fumbled.
Explain how this is related to iron man :) That, with high chaos, was essentially my first playthrough. Gonna do that again when I finally get started on gathering the sokolov paintings. It felt a lot more liberating to be honest (understandable considering the very extreme constraint that mostly flesh and steel gives you).

Explain how this is related to iron man :) That, with high chaos, was essentially my first playthrough. Gonna do that again when I finally get started on gathering the sokolov paintings. It felt a lot more liberating to be honest (understandable considering the very extreme constraint that mostly flesh and steel gives you).
i meant ironman in relation to the xcom mode that saves after each decision you make so as to make it impossible to go back and redo things for better results. i guess i was just using your post to springboard my thoughts there but yeah, i've found dishonoured a lot of fun when simply rolling with the punches. going through a perfectionist ghost run to that was highly refreshing.

RedSwirl

Just finished the game. Last half felt like an extended epilogue.

Overall, to me it came off as "just another game" in the vein of the first person simulation RPG (though still an excellent stealth game). In my opinion that's good because it means we're getting enough of these kinds of games that one could be considered "normal."

wouwie

I finished the game yesterday. Took my time with it. I never felt i was any good at the game though. Most of my planned stealth approaches ended in chaos and killing everyone.

Anyhow, i have a lot of mixed (both positive and negative) feelings about almost everything in this game but in the end, i'm glad i bought and played the game. I'd rate it at 8.5/10.

I plan to go through the game a second time without killing anyone. I hope it's not going to be frustrating with retrying/loading times.

Just finished a no kill playthrough. Really not seeing why this game's getting so much praise. The world they designed felt incredibly forced, it just didn't feel natural in comparison to something like City 17 or Rapture which just felt believeable. The dialogue was all around terrible, even by videogame standards it wasn't up to scratch especially when compared to game's it's trying to replicate like Bioshock and Half Life and that's not even mentioning the guards who had about 5 lines between all of them throughout the game (the amount of times I heard that mumbling about "Rats, the plague, bunch of crap" etc is ridiculous. Corvo being mute is just a lol worthy decision that shows that they tried to copy from Half Life 2 too much. The powers were pretty much pointless except for a few for people playing a stealth/no kill playthrough, they needed a lot more powers than were available. The graphics were downright embarrasing, they barely looked better than Half Life 2 in general with HL2 having much better faces/animation. The art style was also poor and felt forced in that it tried to look unique but it still used the same AAA FPS limited colour palette as the rest, for a game going for such a stylized artstyle, they really should have looked toward more colourful games as inspiration. The ending:
It was hyped up way too much in the loading screens, it was over in like 30 seconds which for a game that tried to emphasise the fact that you get a personalised ending was way too short.

Overall, a disappointment. Certainly no GOTY.

Wiggum2007

Last level was bleh. Not bad per se, but after the cool atmosphere/enemy switch-up in Flooded District it just felt kinda boring.

Visually one of blander looking levels too, up until the last section.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
so how's this game? Worth it?

No. It's awful. That's why we're all still playing it. We love playing through terrible games.

Just picked this up, going for no kills on hard mode.

Non-lethal is a great way to play it first, if only because on your lethal playthrough, you'll feel like a weight has been lifted, and the world has opened up.

Dresden

Beat the game (with minimal bloodshed) this morning. It was a really satisfying experience; I wish more developers would make games like this that are so open to improvisation, experimentation and letting you go about the objectives in different ways. Good job Arkane! I hope the game sells very well.

Yeah, it needs to sell well. A sequel with better funding... and with less linearity and more exploration... yum.

Just picked this up, going for no kills on hard mode.

Just set it on Very Hard, because non-lethal means you either choke people out or just tranq them, anyways. There's no real difference in difficulty because you'll never engage in actual combat.

Rufus

Just set it on Very Hard, because non-lethal means you either choke people out or just tranq them, anyways. There's no real difference in difficulty because you'll never engage in actual combat.
It also says something about the guards perception being better, but I didn't notice any difference.

Top Bottom