• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Rufus

They might just go into alert status a lot quicker, actually. I didn't test this out, but I doubt their vision cones got any larger or their hearing more acute.

lol any tips on early game?

I mean it's not hard, but I'm having a hard time... not killing everyone :p

Like can you do some of these side quests without killing guys? Like the one to help that grandma in the first mission, or to get that 1 bone thing.

zkylon

zkylewd

Like can you do some of these side quests without killing guys? Like the one to help that grandma in the first mission, or to get that 1 bone thing.
Yeah, just sleep dart them.

SJRB

Gold Member

If you don't care about a ghost playthrough you can just sleepdart them from a ledge where they can't reach you.

Also - the game is completely open, so if you want to kill people then go right ahead. You should play the game in the way you want to play it. Running and gunning will significantly decrease the time it takes to finish this game though.

oh yeah, sleep darts :p

Good call.

I do wish the game has a map, can't seem to find the archives in the first mission (playing this game REALLy slowly atm).

Troidal

I am still in the first mission, not feeling it :( The stealth feels more like MGS, you don't get to hide in shadows, you just need to stay away from the vision cones of the enemy guards.

The distance between you and the enemies feel a bit weird too...compared to other FPS games, it's like both characters have a much wider reach. Even though I think I am "far" from them, their attack can already reach me, and vice-versa.

So far, it's kind of an OK experience. Not getting the GOTY vibe yet.

honestly, probably dark souls prepare to die edition

Cop out ;)
DS would be my GOTY every year if it could be.

I'd probably put it at #5 on mine right now, out of the 6 that I have on my list so far. Of course with as much as I was hyping this the disappointment hits a bit harder than others probably.

You have 6 potential games! Damn man I can't think of 3.

Dishonored is by no means perfect but nothing is close to it for me. Just started X-Com though

RedSwirl

Idle Thumbs was talking about a video they saw of a guy playing the game all-out-assault style. Anyone found that specific video?

Finished this a couple of days ago. I liked it a lot, it's probably one of my favorites this year. I'm actually surprised by how much I liked it, because for the longest time just something about the game didn't click with me. But that being said, like a lot of other people, I was fairly disappointed by the ending.

If I'm not really into stealth games, will I still enjoy Dishonored? Bioshock 1 is one of my favorite games ever so I really need something like this to tide me over until Infinite comes out next year, but I don't wanna "play it wrong", beat it in 5 hours and feel like I didn't get my money's worth.

Rufus

If I'm not really into stealth games, will I still enjoy Dishonored? Bioshock 1 is one of my favorite games ever so I really need something like this to tide me over until Infinite comes out next year, but I don't wanna "play it wrong", beat it in 5 hours and feel like I didn't get my money's worth.
The above video is how you can play the game (in the beginning you're rather weak though). But that also means that the game will be shorter for you.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So hmmm, at the very first part of the game, escaping the jail part, I knocked a guy off and while I am in the process of picking up his body, one of his buddy started walking from the opposite entrance of the room.

I was thinking, "Aw shit!" since the room was as clear as daylight and that buddy's line of sight was directly straight to me and his unconscious pal.

To my bewilderment however he did not seem to notice me as I carried his buddy away even though in that circumstances he 100% should.

So....... what gives? Is this like Metal Gear 2 where you can stand under broad daylight and that guard in front of you won't be able to see you so long as you don't enter his vision cone?

Hypron

The two games are really not comparable. I really disliked Bioshock but I loved Dishonored. Apart from the art-style and super powers the games are very different.

Just done the last level. Not bad... not great either.

The majority of the game is great though. Not quite GOTY material like I hoped, but a great first installment. I look forward to the sequel.

Ri'Orius

Finished this last night. Good times in general, although it was definitely a game I needed to play next to a computer so I could browse the internet during load times (...I may have been a bit aggressive on saving and loading...).

Question, though: I got through most of the game without killing anyone, but made some mistakes in the early missions (dumping the unconscious guy in the water sounded like a brilliant idea at the time!). If I replay just those missions without killing anyone, can I get the Clean Hands trophy without doing the whole game again?

Anyway, I might try a quick violent runthrough. Or I might just move on; I picked up the Geneforge saga a couple weeks ago and it might be time to bust it out...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
honestly, probably dark souls prepare to die edition

Dark Soul is full of problems (shitty and cheap boss fights,lack of polish,boring setting, unbalanced mess..ect)it's flawed in every section,it's really sad that it's not as good as Demons Souls,average sequel that was so overrated to say the least.

for 2012 so far Dishonored deserve GOTY,nothing even close to it.

Moonkeis

Finished this last night. Good times in general, although it was definitely a game I needed to play next to a computer so I could browse the internet during load times (...I may have been a bit aggressive on saving and loading...).

The load times on the console version is that long? I played it through on a older system and the load/save times were 2-3 seconds for me.

Ri'Orius

The load times on the console version is that long? I played it through on a older system and the load/save times were 2-3 seconds for me.

They were definitely longer than 2-3 seconds, but not too long. Maybe 20sec? It was more a problem of frequency: I reloaded pretty much every time I was discovered. In hindsight I should've tried to escape after being spotted more often, but I always forget how dumb guards are about that sort of thing. I think I developed a bad habit when I was going for the "don't be detected for one level" trophy early on and never looked back :(

Kikarian

Well my save got corrupted. Luckily I'm not that far into the game...

Apart from that, I am loving this game! The stealth and being able to go through missions without killing anyone is great.

Have to say, surprised at people that dont see greatness in this game. Between the world design, gameplay innovations (blink is a revelation), and the development of an accessible stealth gameplay system, I can't see how someone can play this and not be constantly stunned. It's just objectively incredible.

Orcastar

Just finished the game and got the low chaos ending.

I dunno, it was good, but I constantly felt like there was just something missing. The city is great, the mechanics are great, overall it seems like a great game, but I just felt like I never really got into it.

Then again this probably had to do with my playstyle since I got kinda obsessive about not being spotted and not killing anyone and therefore ended up quick loading every time I messed something up. Maybe a high chaos playthrough without constant quick loading will be more fun.

Following on from my last post, I bring you the best Dishonored kill you'll ever see (maybe).

I can't BELIEVE this worked. Basically, I've got a liking for the kills that you can do jumping on people. I've spent this afternoon just finding high spots and doing it over and over on various enemies. Then it hit me that there was a VERY high bridge in this game. At first I couldn't find anyone from the top who it would work on, but it dawned on me that using a crossbow bolt I could lure one (or as it turned out, several) guard a bit closer to me so I could do it. This was the result. Amazing!

The action in this game does stand up. Maybe not to such a high standard as the stealth, but still. Lots of fun to be had.

Anyone else finding it difficult to pick up the game and replay it? Throughout my first (stealth) playthrough I kept telling myself stuff like "I can't wait to do this bit lethally" but I'm finding it hard to even pick up the controller and start a new game after completing it. Bit surprised at this, but maybe it's the incoming of ACIII, Okami HD, and Halo 4 looming on the horizon, casting a shadow on Dishonoured. Don't get me wrong, it's a stunning game, I'm just disappointed/surprised that I haven't picked up and played through a game that is meant to have multiple playthroughs.

d00d3n

Anyone else finding it difficult to pick up the game and replay it? Throughout my first (stealth) playthrough I kept telling myself stuff like "I can't wait to do this bit lethally" but I'm finding it hard to even pick up the controller and start a new game after completing it. Bit surprised at this, but maybe it's the incoming of ACIII, Okami HD, and Halo 4 looming on the horizon, casting a shadow on Dishonoured. Don't get me wrong, it's a stunning game, I'm just disappointed/surprised that I haven't picked up and played through a game that is meant to have multiple playthroughs.

Replaying the game seems absolutely crazy to me. But then again my playtime for nokill, take everything, never detected, every enemy knocked out is 35 hours and I am at the start of the flooded district ...

I'm loving the replayability. There's so many stealth routes I didn't see and going Rambo style brings even more new possibilities.

I did the bridge level, completely, four times today. Just doing it different ways.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Have to say, surprised at people that dont see greatness in this game. Between the world design, gameplay innovations (blink is a revelation), and the development of an accessible stealth gameplay system, I can't see how someone can play this and not be constantly stunned. It's just objectively incredible.

Yeah it's weird,not just the cold reception for the game here in gaf but the also the people who attack the game for something the game do amazingly well too.

I think this will be Hitman: Blood Money all over again, when people years later realize how good the game is and we got many LTTP threads.

Anyone else finding it difficult to pick up the game and replay it? Throughout my first (stealth) playthrough I kept telling myself stuff like "I can't wait to do this bit lethally"

Not at all, I went stealth for first time my 2nd playthrough was all about crazy killing and my 3rd one was trying using Stealth and Blink only.

enjoyed the game with all playthroughs , too much things to do, new things and paths to go with.

I'm pretty sure I'll return later for DLC,I want more of this GOTY.

Yes. There's very little actual replayability like they promised due to the poor design decisions and no balance at all.

Funny, because I already replayed it once and am dying at the idea of replaying it again (not doing that because I'm playing Borderlands 2, Hotline Miami, Layton and some other stuff).

Don't know why, there's no reason to explore any different paths.

Why? They might work better, they might offer more content (documents, easter eggs, characters, whatever), they might be simply more fun.
Plus, the second run was a full homicidal one, just toying around with the amazing combat system. The third run will be the ghost one - the idea alone excites me.

Fabrik

Banned
I dunno, it was good, but I constantly felt like there was just something missing. The city is great, the mechanics are great, overall it seems like a great game, but I just felt like I never really got into it.

I feel the same. I never was truly immersed in the world. I don't know why. Is it the pacing? The fact you go back to the pub every time? Yeah maybe it kills a bit the flow. It never felt Epic (c) or like an adventure, just a succession of a few missions.

Anyone else finding it difficult to pick up the game and replay it? Don't get me wrong, it's a stunning game, I'm just disappointed/surprised that I haven't picked up and played through a game that is meant to have multiple playthroughs.

Yep same for me. The world and art design should draw me in but I don't see the point, going for a more brutal approach doesn't have any challenge whatsoever, sure it's fun for a little while to play with guards, but that's it because you're almost invincible. The only challenge is going unnoticed. Finding a slightly different route to the same objective is not very appealing. It's still a good game though.

don't mind derrick. his taste is a fucking enigma. you might as well say he doesn't like anything.

I honestly can't understand how he can appreciate the original Deus Ex (I'm assuming he does, right?) and not Dishonored because "The main path is the most obvious one". So was in DX, and you could kill anyone in there too. Meh.

Derrick01

Banned
Maybe because it's fun...

What's fun in exploring for no reason? There's no hidden loot worth a damn, there's no hidden events or changing circumstances. You have 8 empty winding paths leading to the same result so why not just go straight? The game certainly doesn't try to dissuade you from doing it.

What's fun in exploring for no reason? There's no hidden loot worth a damn, there's no hidden events or changing circumstances. You have 8 empty winding paths leading to the same result so why not just go straight? The game certainly doesn't try to dissuade you from doing it.

They might be an easier way to get in, you might get access to another entrance that gives you more liberty and whatnot. Easy.

Derrick01

Banned
They might be an easier way to get in, you might get access to another entrance that gives you more liberty and whatnot. Easy.

An easier way for what? If someone's in your way the game gives you a billion powers to make any combat situation a piece of cake. Blink usually takes care of the other problems.

derFeef

Thanks god my clean install resolved my save bug, finally did the first mission. So good seaking around and seeing everything. And then stab fools :p

It's not "no reason". This is your problem with other games, like GTA 4, you have no imagination and need there to be a ***REASON*** to do something rather than appreciating what the game has given you and making fun out of it. There are loads of paths on each level. Do they all lead to the same goal? Yes. Are there many side quests, hidden objects, etc etc along the way? No. Does it matter? Fuck no.

It's FUN to do a level on a different path. It's FUN to experiment with different gameplay options on the different paths.

Going along stealthy in an alley is totally different to being stealthy on the rooftops, or running through causing as much chaos as possible, or finding weird little areas that serve no real purpose other than being weird little areas that add depth to the world.

But then again, maybe you're right. Maybe I shouldn't have gone back and done this:

Following on from my last post, I bring you the best Dishonored kill you'll ever see (maybe).

I can't BELIEVE this worked. Basically, I've got a liking for the kills that you can do jumping on people. I've spent this afternoon just finding high spots and doing it over and over on various enemies. Then it hit me that there was a VERY high bridge in this game. At first I couldn't find anyone from the top who it would work on, but it dawned on me that using a crossbow bolt I could lure one (or as it turned out, several) guard a bit closer to me so I could do it. This was the result. Amazing!

The action in this game does stand up. Maybe not to such a high standard as the stealth, but still. Lots of fun to be had.

What's fun about jumping off a 200ft bridge and stabbing a dude in the neck as you land eh? I shoulda left it at my stealth play through and not touched it again... There was no REASON to do that, after all.

I can appreciate a well crafted world that gives you to the tools to do what you want, how you want, and be rewarded well for it. It's what makes like GTA 4, Crysis and Deus Ex classics. It's a pity you can't.

Top Bottom