• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

An easier way for what? If someone's in your way the game gives you a billion powers to make any combat situation a piece of cake. Blink usually takes care of the other problems.

Because it's easier to stealth than to face four enemies at a time. It's the same non-problem of Deus Ex: you have an incredible equipment - GEP gun, the sword, hell, the crossbow alone is invincible, let alone the pistol -, but stealthing is easier and, if it's your style, way more satysfing.

Derrick01

Banned
You might not have freeze time, you might not have mana refillers or so on. Blink is free and the level design is there for you.

You'd have to try very hard to not have enough mana potions or runes to get most of the powers. There's far too many of both, another balance failure in this game.

You'd have to try very hard to not have enough mana potions or runes to get most of the powers. There's far too many of both, another balance failure in this game.

Balance is fucked up, yes, I'll give you that. Doesn't mean you can't die if you're not careful enough or that you won't be found if you're not careful enough. It's an easy game, yes, but not easier than, again, Deus Ex.

Derrick01

Banned
Balance is fucked up, yes, I'll give you that. Doesn't mean you can't die if you're not careful enough or that you won't be found if you're not careful enough. It's an easy game, yes, but not easier than, again, Deus Ex.

It's incredibly easier than Deus Ex. One of the easier games of this generation outside of near automated games like Assassin's Creed.

Salsa

I dont think the difficulty of the combat itself or how hard it is to die really affect anything in this game, at least in the aspects I care about.

It's incredibly easier than Deus Ex. One of the easier games of this generation outside of near automated games like Assassin's Creed.

No way it's easier than Deus Ex. On my first run of DX I died... three times at best, I guess? In Dishonored I got caught unprepared sometimes and died quickly, and died about 10 times the whole game. No real challenge in both games.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Noticed that my co worker has Ghost achievement in Dishonored, I was surprised since he have problem with stealth games and when I talked to him about it he said he is not interesting.

I google plus him and he basically told me Dishonored is the only game he "enjoy" playing stealthy with, in other games he just don't bother because going stealth mean less enjoyable experience for him like (going with what he said) Deus Ex: Human Revolution and MGS4 where using guns are just better but in Dishonored while using powers and weapons are cool going stealthy and using blink is just way better he said that in Dishonored he don't feel like his hands are tied behind his back like in the other games,saying that even the Ninja stealth games don't give you the fast pure stealth action this game do.

other than that, he was complaining about the loading times but I showed him how fast they are on PC and he was like :O.

so yeah, best thing happened this morning,Dishonored love warm my heart.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Not nearly enough around, though.

Yeah :(

even this thread didn't hit 10K posts in one month, we were crying for a good stealth game since Blood Money-since the beginning of this generation- and we got one just to ignore it completely,really a pretty messed up situation.

Lakitu

st5fu
I've been taking my time these last few days and I'm having a blast. Just love experimenting with different paths, powers and just playing with the enemies in general. The art design is fantastic. I'm in the Flooded District right now.

even this thread didn't hit 10K posts in one month, we were crying for a good stealth game since Blood Money-since the beginning of this generation- and we got one just to ignore it completely,really a pretty messed up situation.

Most people here don't consider it a good stealth game, either. Kinda sad, really.

Minimum requirements: ATI 5850
My card: ATI 5670 (a bit worse)

However, they're both 512MB VRAM. Has anyone had any luck playing it on this card? I also have an i3 3.2 GHz dual core processor.

Con_Smith

Banned
Just picked up the game today and I must say it seems to be pretty good so far. It really plays with my ocd in games where I must explore for all the hidden stuff and find everything (blew my mind when the intro mission in the sewers told me I hadn't missed anything but some money. Really wanted that safe combination though...)

Any tips for a fresh playthrough? Trying to go as no kill and ghost as possible, but if my DE:HR playthrough is any indication, that probably won't last long.

iWVyl8QVgBFJi.gif

iqTZtwFf4E2ZE.gif

WOW

Finished it on high chaos. I didn't find the game appreciably harder or the ending worse. In fact I though the ending went well with the way the story goes in the last few levels.

I liked the game but having to avoid one or two side missions to avoid the game freezing was a bit of a bummer. It also froze in the last cutscene after
emily turns out to be nasty

Not GOTY for me but still a very good shot at a new IP. I will certainly be getting a Dishonored 2 on Day 1.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I played through the first part of the first assassination mission yesterday, basically doing the side quests first so I can get a few extra runes. At first I was all sneaky like, trying to avoid killing anyone and only choking guards out, but after a while I got annoyed at having to restart every time some dude saw or heard me that I just went around the level shanking everyone I saw. Maybe I'll play through the game stealthily at some point, but right now I find playing stealthily is not really all that fun.

I played through the first part of the first assassination mission yesterday, basically doing the side quests first so I can get a few extra runes. At first I was all sneaky like, trying to avoid killing anyone and only choking guards out, but after a while I got annoyed at having to restart every time some dude saw or heard me that I just went around the level shanking everyone I saw. Maybe I'll play through the game stealthily at some point, but right now I find playing stealthily is not really all that fun.

Once you get Dark Vision and can see vision cones, you might want to go back to stealth if the first-person awareness is frustrating you.

metalshade

Hey guys, due to a mix up, I now have a spare dishonored code, if anyone wants it, I am selling for £25.
PM me for details.
As for myself, really excited to get stuck in to this game, been hearing great things.

Solo

Jesus, I just realized I haven't touched this in like 3 weeks. Had reached the final mission and then just.....stopped. Game just didn't live up to my hype. However, I'm going to try to pick it back up and finish it tonight.

.la1n

Jesus, I just realized I haven't touched this in like 3 weeks. Had reached the final mission and then just.....stopped. Game just didn't live up to my hype. However, I'm going to try to pick it back up and finish it tonight.

DO IT, you owe the game that much :p

I love this game. It's filled that void of actually giving me some room to be creative with the mechanics that I've been searching for since, well, Blood Money like you said. Human Revolution was sorely disappointing in this regard, although still pretty good.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I got to the final third of the game last night (Flooded District), and I have to say that the Boyle Manor level is probably one of my favorite levels in gaming. It just feels so different to anything else I've ever played, and it emphasized one of this game's strong suits: the art design. I can't get enough of the world that Arkane has created; it's so rich and detailed that I just enjoy walking around and spending time in the environments.

I will say though that I saw the plot revelation coming from a mile away. In fact I knew it was coming ever since the second level. It's just so damn obvious.

Derrick01

Banned
As disappointed as I was in the game it's still good that it sold well. It allows for sequels and possibly more of these types of games from different developers. My only wish is that they try to make them deeper and better stealth games than Dishonored.

But either way even a game exactly like Dishonored is still better than the majority of AAA games we get now.

RedSwirl

So the DLC is about Daud? Could be nice. I'm honestly a bit disappointed with how much extra lore the game contains but doesn't really let you see, like
Daud having a whole organization of guys with super powers fighting against a whole other organization of witches with super powers.
Hopefully that's what the DLC is about and sheds more light on the Outsider.

d00d3n

I am kind of regretting doing my standard completionist run of this game. It took me 44 hours, I did not even get the achievements at the end and I have no reason to ever play the game again considering how methodically I picked every area apart. Did lethal takedowns make the game better? I guess I will never know ...

I suggest you avoid the Granny Rags stuff entirely.
That was my plan if I was ever going to do it. Rewards are charms, so entirely useless.
I am kind of regretting doing my standard completionist run of this game. It took me 44 hours, I did not even get the achievements at the end and I have no reason to ever play the game again considering how methodically I picked every area apart. Did lethal takedowns make the game better? I guess I will never know ...
Well then you clearly missed out on quiet a lot despite however "methodical" your playthrough was. The interesting part of this game is not exploring every single part of it all at once but rather the options it offers you and how you can use them to resolve any situations you encounter.

d00d3n

Well then you clearly missed out on quiet a lot despite however "methodical" your playthrough was. The interesting part of this game is not exploring every single part of it all at once but rather the options it offers you and how you can use them to resolve any situations you encounter.

That makes sense too me and I would like to play the game that way, but in this type of game I get a strong urge to completely control the environments. Every item has to be picked up, every hostile enemy has to be knocked out and hidden, I must never be detected and I have to run separately through all the multiple paths. Every optional quest that I am aware of has to be completed. In some sense there is probably more to see in the game, but it is hard to find the motivation considering the length of time if have explored every area.

Fair enough. But to me the aspect of looking through every single inch and picking up every single scrap of junk you possibly can is far less interesting in Dishonored compared to say something like New Vegas.

Just finished it. The ending was pretty underwhelming. It really feels like they threw the last few missions into the game to pad it with no regards to the story.

Other than that, had a lot of fun. Played it on Hard, got Ghost, Clean Hands, and Mostly Flesh and Steel. Dunno if I'm gonna go back, I came to the game for the stealth, so having gotten as much of that out of the game as possible, I'm probably done.

Top Bottom