• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Torraz

Ok.Once I install spotflux and get the game running, can I uninstall spotflux right away?

After you get the game running once (= you unlock it, and possibly download the last few mb), quit the game and put steam into offline mode. Then you can stop running, or even uninstall, whatever VPN service/software you are using.

Following this. Steam should remain in offline mode and you can run the game whenever you want. After it gets released in your country you can put steam in online mode again.

Zeliard

Dishonored seems like it could be something rather special. It seems like it's similar to Deus Ex just in terms of how the world is designed, how open the gameplay is, how you can choose between this toybox of abilities and tools, play anyway you want, the amount of lore peppered throughout a given area, the number of npc's you can interact with, even the situational responses to your actions, it's all so impressive.

I'm going to have a tough time deciding what to play, this or Xcom. They both look like they're pretty spectacular games.

They're both pretty fantastic so far. I'd strongly recommend getting both if you're able to. The real difficulty in my experience is in deciding which one to play at any given point.

Two of the best multiplat games to come along in years.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
FWIW, unless you're using a VPN service that has bandwidth/session time limits, there's no need to go offline after using a VPN to unlock the game, because as soon as you log in while a VPN is active, that IP address has been logged and Valve is then aware that your account has been accessed from "elsewhere". Hiding via Offline Mode for a few days isn't going to achieve anything as far as being inconspicuous is concerned.

That said, if you do decide to leave the VPN running while playing the game, you just need to be sure to disable it when not running the game, lest you accidentally purchase something from a regional Steam store that's not your own.

Phinor

FWIW, there's no need to go offline after using a VPN to unlock the game, because as soon as you log in while a VPN is active, that IP address has been logged and Valve is then aware that your account has been accessed from "elsewhere". Hiding via Offline Mode for a few days isn't going to achieve anything as far as being inconspicuous is concerned.

If you don't go offline, there's a reasonably high chance that your game gets locked again. I've tried it before, although that was in 2011 so I'm wondering if something has changed since then.

Torraz

FWIW, there's no need to go offline after using a VPN to unlock the game, because as soon as you log in while a VPN is active, that IP address has been logged and Valve is then aware that your account has been accessed from "elsewhere". Hiding via Offline Mode for a few days isn't going to achieve anything as far as being inconspicuous is concerned.

That said, if you do decide to leave the VPN running while playing the game, you just need to be sure to disable it when not running the game, lest you accidentally purchase something from a regional Steam store that's not your own.

I always used a free VPN service (temporary trial), which means that it's not always running. Only for the 5 min to activate the game. This means I'd have to reactivate the game via the VPN every time I'd want to start the game. That's why I use offline mode - to keep the game unlocked, not be be inconspicuous.

If you don't go offline, there's a reasonably high chance that your game gets locked again. I've tried it before, although that was in 2011 so I'm wondering if something has changed since then.

This. My Borderlands 2 got relocked, after I put steam in online mode again to redeem and preload my Torchlight 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Odd, that's never happened to me. Most recently I used Spotflux to play Borderlands 2, while remaining online across a few days, just fine.

Edit: Oh, restarting Steam (with a VPN enabled) fixes a game reverting to pre-load status moments after a VPN connection has been disabled . I thought you meant that the game was "hard-locked" until the release date in your region (i.e. using a VPN would no longer work).

I always used a free VPN service (temporary trial), which means that it's not always running. Only for the 5 min to activate the game. This means I'd have to reactivate the game via the VPN every time I'd want to start the game. That's why I use offline mode - to keep the game unlocked, not be be inconspicuous.

Yeah, I edited my post to include cases of limited trials and the like.

Lucifon

This. My Borderlands 2 got relocked, after I put steam in online mode again to redeem and preload my Torchlight 2.

Anyone ever been punished for doing this by Valve?

Torraz

Anyone ever been punished for doing this by Valve?

Rumors are that buying games out of region (=cheaper) is very frowned upon and could lead to the termination of your account. I don't recall any instances, or even rumors, of trouble for unlocking a game a few days earlier.

Lucifon

Rumors are that buying games out of region (=cheaper) is very frowned upon and could lead to the termination of your account. I don't recall any instances, or even rumors, of trouble for unlocking a game a few days earlier.

You sir just made my sick day much more bearable. I'll get spotflux downloaded and give it a shot. Will have to disable it for retro city rampage whenever that hits though.

This game, you guys. I've been playing for 3.5 hours and I just got to the first real mission; something about this genre just makes me want to exhaustively explore every inch of every area. I got to the Pub hub area and immediately went off on my own, climbing everything I saw, looting everything from every room, reading every book, and then I did it all again when I learned to blink. And then again when I realised that the talking heart is the best thing in the whole game; I must have spent a good half hour just listening to her say maudlin things in that syrupy voice.

Ashodin

This game, you guys. I've been playing for 3.5 hours and I just got to the first real mission; something about this genre just makes me want to exhaustively explore every inch of every area. I got to the Pub hub area and immediately went off on my own, climbing everything I saw, looting everything from every room, reading every book, and then I did it all again when I learned to blink. And then again when I realised that the talking heart is the best thing in the whole game; I must have spent a good half hour just listening to her say maudlin things in that syrupy voice.

Talking Heart: The Game

Eusis

Man, I think I can predict the heart's Twist.

The fact settings aren't sticking is really annoying me, and now that I'm past the introductory stuff setting that back will wear thin. I'll have to look for a specific solution or see if they release a hotfix for that before I dive in more seriously.

Ashodin

Man, I think I can predict the heart's Twist.

The fact settings aren't sticking is really annoying me, and now that I'm past the introductory stuff setting that back will wear thin. I'll have to look for a specific solution or see if they release a hotfix for that before I dive in more seriously.

It's the Empress' heart, right? :(

Derrick01

Banned
So I thought I was going to spend half the night playing the game but I came down with a stomach virus and I was up longer than expected, it just wasn't spent on Dishonored. Worst time to get something like that :(

But I did play until 2am and I got to the pub. I'm already impressed with the exploration considering most of what I found was in a linear area. I also found a 2 book series called A Gaffer's Tale which, sadly, did not contain any girl-age stories. I'm looking forward to starting the first real level. I just don't want to do it while I'm a few minutes away from puking my brains out again.

Ashodin

That's what I'm suspecting, especially with that dialogue in the first proper assassination mission. AND the new book I found on Piero's table.

I suspected it from the first quote you have when you hover on Admiral Havelock. The heart kinda... hitches when talking about the Empress' Death.

Ashodin

Figuring out stuff like that doesn't bother me. You found out the WHAT, now it's time to speculate on the HOW. Just changes the parameters a bit.

mxgt

Banned
Used VPN, have been playing for a few hours and the game is great so far.

Annoying that the settings aren't sticking for some reason

jgminto

Question for anyone who has completed the first assassination area:

I'm in the part right before I go to confront High Overseer Campbell but I've noticed there are two runes in the area. I'm pretty sure I know where one is but the other is in a lower area and I can't find a way there. I did find a door to the kennels but that's a whole other area. What am I missing?

Try spilling the wine.

taoofjord

Only played for about 45 minutes but damn is this game gorgeous. It's clear that the artists that worked on this game are on another level.

Also, the love the developers have for Thief is sure to be appreciated by every lover of Thief and Looking Glass Studios.

pa22word

Where can I that code? Been looking everywhere but can't find it.

I dunno I just checked the
Looking Glass code
without even looking around >.>

It's been the
first code in every game of this type since System Shock 1
, so nowadays I just check it by default on the first combination I encounter when
playing a game like this

GorillaJu

Okay so if I kill people and hide the bodies but don't get detected, will it help keep the Chaos rating down? I hate getting a shitty ending on my first run, but it seems really boring to play non-lethal when there are so many cool offensive options.

zkylon

zkylewd
Man, that first safe...

Looking Glass code!!! (0)451 in my veins :D!
Aw man I didn't realize! That's so awesome!

Anyways, been playing it for a while and loving it. Blinking feels awesome and I just love letting myself get caught and have them chase me while I teleport all over the place. Whoever beats this game in 4 hours is a sad little person. I've clocked a full 6 hours and I just finished the first mission.

Only thing I'm a little bugged about is that quicksave seems not to work sometimes, randomly as far as I can tell, so I load and I find myself 20 minutes earlier than I should be :/

Enco

We almost always get games on Friday? Apart from the odd Tuesday release like COD.
US should have been delayed then :p

I'm fine for waiting but to be honest releases would be better if they were at the same time worldwide. Would make all the VPN workarounds unnecessary.

Tess3ract

Banned
Lack of exposition? I'm complaining about there being too much. It's incredibly overbearing in spots. I believe you're told CORVO IS THE BODYGUARD AND WAS SENT AWAY TO ASK FOR HELP ABOUT THE PLAGUE THERE'S A PLAGUE MAN THE PLAGUE IS BAD CORVO WENT TO GO CHECK IT OUT ELSEWHERE THE EMPRESS SENT HIM GUESS WHERE HE WENT HE WENT AWAY TO ASK FOR HELP ABOUT THE PLAGUE THAT'S WEIRD I GUESS THE PLAGUE MUST REALLY BE BAD sixty different ways in the opening half hour.

Wow, it's like a videogame where the large majority of people who play them and DONT post on videogame forums about them are fucking idiots. GO FIGURE

Tess3ract

Banned
So I used the VPN trick. I only got an hour early, but whatever.

Surprise, surprise: the game runs really well. I'm on a 4870 and X4 955 and I have everything maxed out with MLAA on. I had to kick down my resolution because I can't stand screen tearing and for some reason, I can never get Triple Buffering to work on unreal engine 3 games, but if I could, I could run with this at 1080p no problem.

Pretty happy with the port so far.

I told everyone even if you had a 5 year old computer you could play this just fine.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Amazing game. My only quibble is that they didn't use a UK voice cast. All that American English just feels wrong.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Talking Heart: The Game
On PC with 360 wireless; controller rumbles with
the beating of the heart as you get close to anything
. I'd say "it's the little things" but it looks thus far like the entire game is composed of "little things."

Top Bottom