• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Sullichin

Just played a bit past getting the blink ability and the first rune. I'm really liking this. I think it looks pretty amazing. I was surprised at what it looked like actually after only having seen some of the GB quicklook in a browser window, where the unique art style wasn't very apparent to me. The movement is smooth and satisfying (i'm using a PS3 controller) and the game performs great so far. Might be too tired to play more tonight but I'm impressed with what I've played.

Derrick01

Banned
Got a little careless in the tutorial area, thought I had silently cleared the room so as I was heading out some bastard who slipped my sight found me and I had to sword fight 3 guards.

Pros- Sword fighting was simple but satisfying

Cons- I've already blown my cover in an ultra linear area and murdered 3 bros. It's going to be a long game for me lol.

Hawk269

Anyone else having the settings reset every time you load a game? Using a 360 controller by the way.

Not here. I tested it because I noticed someone mention this a few pages back, but every time I re-enter the game, my settings are intact. Also using a 360 controller.

Anyone monitor the game with a GPU monitor yet? I am getting extremely low GPU usage, even though I am at a rock solid 60fps/1080p with everything maxed. My GPU is around 30% usage, not boosting at all due to the low usage. I have a GTX 690. I wish I could force supersampling and max out aa via control panel though. MLAA looks good, but it still could be cleaner with a more agressive aa solution.

Alright, so I just played like the first hour or so and enjoying the game so far....anyone else thing the game feels a lot like Rage early on? Not sure why I am getting that feeling..

Will anyone be doing a Ghosting playthrough? Not even non-lethal, going past everyone. That would take massive balls. Do you even get a reward for ghosting (not touching any enemy)?

Doing one currently in Mark of the Ninja is loads of fun.

Quoted, hoping someone is brave enough to try it.

Alright, so I just played like the first hour or so and enjoying the game so far....anyone else thing the game feels a lot like Rage early on? Not sure why I am getting that feeling..

I find it funny you say that because though I feel the game has much better gameplay the Rage, has some similarities in other ways.
Cool, yet under developed characters that you don't get to learn much about, and an ending that sort of just ends and leaves you hanging. (or at least wanting a bit more)

I find it funny you say that because though I feel the game has much better gameplay the Rage, has some similarities in other ways.
Cool, yet under developed characters that you don't get to learn much about, and an ending that sort of just ends and leaves you hanging. (or at least wanting a bit more)

Yeah I'm not talking about the gameplay, just the way the story is unfolding and characters are being developed.

Zeliard

isn't this how most non-lethal runs are? That's how MGS non-lethal runs go.

Not necessarily. Non-lethal simply means not killing enemies, so putting them to sleep is an option. Ghosting is avoiding any interaction with enemies whatsoever and never grabbing their attention.

Varna

Dumb question... how do I opened locked safes? It wasn't very hard to find the combo for the first one I found... but I can't seem to figure out how to actual enter the numbers.

Dumb question... how do I opened locked safes? It wasn't very hard to find the combo for the first one I found... but I can't seem to figure out how to actual enter the numbers.

there are 3 numbers that you can turn on the safe. Like those combination briefcase locks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay. Played around will the graphics options. (MLAA looks best as mentioned)

My initial challenge is as follows:

Very Hard, Objective Markers off, no crosshair. I expect brutal death and a constant test of the degree of my skill. Anybody want to join me? Dunno how it will work out (will certainly save often).

Yup. Highly recommend you guys try playing this way. Making it through a room in exactly the way I intend to is amazing. Improving is addictive.

This is a good example of what video games are for.

Revenant

So i'm looking through all the interface stuff, I'm turning off things like objective marker, but are there some even someone trying to make this a tough game should leave on? I'm trying to make it a challenging experience but I don't know that turning off everything would be smart.

I wish they all had an explanation next to them.

Nice as always :D
Combat looks dope, really don't know if I can stick to stealth all the time.

Ha. Yeah, that's totally how I feel. I love the shit out of stealth mechanics if they're done well, so I'll be all over a pacifist's play-through at some stage, but the combat looks like way too much fun to not dabble in here and there. Put it this way: if there's a guy loitering on his own, you can be sure that he'll be tasting my steel.

Also: DISMEMBERMENT! I really hope that they've not altered that for Australian shores.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So i'm looking through all the interface stuff, I'm turning off things like objective marker, but are there some even someone trying to make this a tough game should leave on? I'm trying to make it a challenging experience but I don't know that turning off everything would be smart.

I wish they all had an explanation next to them.
I turned Health/Mana to contextual. Left everything else on, at least to learn. Could turn them off later.

No crosshair if you want an extra challenge and to blow your mind.

Revenant

I turned Health/Mana to contextual. Left everything else on, at least to learn. Could turn them off later.

No crosshair if you want an extra challenge and to blow your mind.

oh those two I did right away.

feels amazing.

I'm just looking through the list of things that you can turn off, trying to decipher what would hold my hand too much vs something that would just make the game frustrating without.

neoism

OMG THIS GAME!

Stopped at the second mission anyone not taking their time is doing a dis-service to the game and yourself... It so leads it's self to taking your time... I get a Riven vibe from this too... SO fucking good so far.

Also so glad I can just put my weapons away... <3

Played through a little more than an hour.

It is definitely a challenge to try to sneak past, which is satisfying. It sucks to hear a guard who is clearly just some poor sod trying to make it through the day, and then have to kill him out of carelessness. I also love the added risk/reward and strategy of where you kill guards, as sneaking past a crew and taking out their cronies a bit later will often lead to being overwhelmed by the other guys.

Has anyone had a knocked out guard get up? Once they're out do they do that, or stay out, for future reference?

Oh, and yeah, the art is gorgeous. First area is underwhelming but man, starting in that second area it's beautiful.

Speaking of the second level,
the heart is awesome! Great way to give me more story about a character. Love that the craftsman/genius guy spies on the chick bathing, for example, it's a detail that makes him so much more human.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Really digging the game am glad I went and decided to starve a bit to pick this baby up. Its nice having a title with actual choices in how you play and turning off most of the hand holding bullshit that plagues titles these days.

neoism

Will anyone be doing a Ghosting playthrough? That would take massive balls. Do you even get a reward for ghosting (not touching any enemy)?

Doing one currently in Mark of the Ninja is loads of fun.

i am but I'm non lethaling eneimes not sure if there is an achievement to not touching them... I don't think soo... I got ghost at he end of mission 1.

I choked a bitch and he fell in the water. I pulled him out and put him in a safe place but it didn't say "unconscious", does that mean he died?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow...

Wow! This game is very impressive so far.

I've only done the first mission so far and Steam says 57 minutes in terms of play time, but I'm already loving it. The atmosphere is just incredible and keyboard and mouse controls are excellent.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

Ashodin

I'm having trouble with my mouse not being able to let me block with Mouse Button 4. It just won't do it, and it "flicks" the block but not reliably.

I need to make this work, block needs to be on mouse goddamn it!

If you guys wanna go hardcore. Stick with how a level plays out. As in don't reload a Quicksave of you get discovered. Try and persevere through it.

Hawk269

SLI users: Micro stuttering all over the place. Disable it and it will run smooth as butter.

Just turned off SLI on my 690 and yes it is a bit smoother. The MS did not bother me too much, but it was apparent. Luckily this game is not too demanding, so running on one GPU I can still max it out. Hope Nvidia releases a newer driver to support SLI properly in the game...just in case there are areas of the game further along that are more demanding.

Jtrizzy

Does the PC version play well with the 360 controller?

Almost flawlessly...you can't assign the buttons, it just gives you presets. From a control standpoint it's perfect. I'd really like to have the crouch button be clicking R3. Otherwise, this game is awesome.

For the smaa, do I just drop the dx9 folder in to the main directory?

FStop7

Banned
Dude what is this I don't even

Why do I have a talking heart that rats out peoples' secrets to me. It said mean things about one of the servants.

Hawk269

Does the PC version play well with the 360 controller?

PERFECT! All icons are replaced to tie into the 360 controller. Finding it really great playing with it.

What is everyone else (PC version) doing as far as turning stuff off. I have the cursor on the simple, health icons on contextual, so basically it is hudless. I also have waypoints or quest points turned off. Thinking of turning off the icon that shows you are in stealth as well. It is so much better though without the health icons.

Beautiful game, but some of the textures are pretty bad and some of the shadows are really bad, like when a npc's shadow is cast on the wall..it looks downrigh horrid. Wish they had a setting for shadows as well. If you want to see a n64 level texture, walk up to a tree trunk...man talk about flat as texture!

Anyone hear if they will have a hi-res texture pack for the PC version?

Two and a half hours in so far and the game is incredible.

I can't quite put my finger on why I love the game so much, but I do. The whole world just feels so well done and the visuals are really quite charming.

The fact that it runs flawlessly, even with supersampling, doesn't hurt matters either.

Top Bottom