• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Hawk269

Two and a half hours in so far and the game is incredible.

I can't quite put my finger on why I love the game so much, but I do. The whole world just feels so well done and the visuals are really quite charming.

The fact that it runs flawlessly, even with supersampling, doesn't hurt matters either.

Wait, how are you getting Supersampling? I tried forcing things at the driver level and so far nothing works. How did you get it to work?

epmode

So I just started the PC version and it runs very well.

One thing though, is it possible to holster your weapons? It's a little silly that my guy is constantly pointing a gun and brandishing a sword as I'm sneaking through the shadows.

Hawk269

So I just started the PC version and it runs very well.

One thing though, is it possible to holster your weapons? It's a little silly that my guy is constantly pointing a gun and brandishing a sword as I'm sneaking through the shadows.

If playing with a 360 controller hold the X button and it will holster. I too was wondering this, but then looked at the controller options and say that you have to hold the x button down.

Torraz

Played the first tutorial mission and had to restart, apparently if you dip a knocked out guard in the water it instantly kills them. =\

Well, you are indirectly drowning someone.

-

On the other hand, wasn't such a scene in the giant bomb quicklook? I think I remember Patrick saying that this did not result in a kill for him.

Hawk269

It's like Half Life 2 meets bioshock and thief.

does that not excite you ?

Add in a splash of Deus Ex into that mix.

So basically, you blend HL2, Thief, Deus Ex with sprinkle of Metal Gear into a blender and you get this game! lol

Not trying to sound too much of a PC elitist, but damn, can you imagine what this would of looked like texture wise if it was PC Only? I mean, Witcher 2 level of detail with the art style they have going would just be killer....that and higher poly characters (not that they are bad).

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Beginning felt so much like Oblivion. Hasn't really hooked me yet but the combat and stealth are great. My only complaints would be distant textures and that I can't find a proper brightness setting. It's either too washed out in the overworld, and/or too dark elsewhere. Both extremes on the same setting. =/ Anyway I only got past the first mission so not much impressions.

Truant

Anyone else have this weird stuttering in the sound? It almost sunds like a beat, as it is perfectly in time.

edit: Never mind, just my tv losing sync with my GPU HDMI output. Tried listening to some music to test, with hilarious results!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Whiskey...?
Goddamn it. I did not expect riddles
KuGsj.gif

Sneaking up to someone, taking the key off there belt and then blinking behind them when they turn to unlock and then open the door is an awesome feeling. I feel so sneaky.

Add in a splash of Deus Ex into that mix.

So basically, you blend HL2, Thief, Deus Ex with sprinkle of Metal Gear into a blender and you get this game! lol

Not trying to sound too much of a PC elitist, but damn, can you imagine what this would of looked like texture wise if it was PC Only? I mean, Witcher 2 level of detail with the art style they have going would just be killer....that and higher poly characters (not that they are bad).

This is already a PC game at its core, let's not get greedy.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Awesome game, pleasantly surprised as I hadn't been following it much and wasn't sure exactly what to expect. Taking my time as I heard this game is pretty short :( kind of a bummer as I love the atmosphere so far.

GorillaJu

Going through it super slowly at the moment making sure to digest everything. Lovely work from the developers. Loving every minute of it.

Just finished
poisoning the distillery for Granny Rags.
Finished there for the night.

I just did this as well. It was fun as hell sneaking along the rafters.

Also, I'm loving the random rat attacks. I was planning out my how I was going to get across a courtyard and right as I'm about to do it a random huge ass swarm of rats comes and starts tearing through everything in their path. All the guards in the area go on squishing detail and I just snuck through the courtyard with everyone distracted.

It was so unexpected that it made it seem like this world is alive.

Ammish

Banned
Apologies, guys. I probably know it was mentioned earlier, but GMG has just released my key for this game. Since I prefer to play it tonight and not Friday, I like to ask what is the best VPN to unlock it earlier?

Thanks.

derFeef

Apologies, guys. I probably know it was mentioned earlier, but GMG has just released my key for this game. Since I prefer to play it tonight and not Friday, I like to ask what is the best VPN to unlock it earlier?

Thanks.

Spotflux afaik.

SparkTR

Took me 70 minutes to finish the first level, I doubt I'm going to finish this before 15 hours. The game is great. Once I messed with the settings I got it feeling pretty close to Thief, but guards are kind of easy on Hard so I might restart on the highest difficulty. The visuals are fantastic, some textures look a bit smudgy but it really comes together when you look at the entire scene, plus there's some great lighting effects. I'm just really happy that it feels like right, coming from Thief 2 to this would be a very natural transition.

Wait, how are you getting Supersampling? I tried forcing things at the driver level and so far nothing works. How did you get it to work?
I just went into CCC and created a profile for the game with SSAA enabled *shrugs*.

I'm assuming you're using an Nvidia card if it isn't working for you, in which case I have no useful advice that I could offer.

ekim

Unlocking via VPN worked like a charm. I just started it and it runs around 30-40 FPS on my laptop (Core i5 2430M, GT 540M, 8 GB Ram)

ekim

For those that are using a VPN, if you run the game, and exit the vpn, does Steam record the achievements?

If you run it in offline mode, you still get achievements. They will be synched the next time you go online. (if you do this before friday, the game gets locked again though)

vazel

Banned
I knew that Gaffer book was going to be mentioned in this thread. I previously only knew its filmmaking definition but according to wikipedia it also means old man or boss.

jgminto

Okay. Played to the start of the Golden Cat mission and really enjoying my time with it so far. The stealth definitely takes some getting used to. You definitely have to rely on cover and leaning, until you get access to your abilities that is. Blink is fantastic. Your able to move around so much faster. Being able to cross an alleyway without waiting for a guard to turn his back is great. And it opens up so much in the way of verticality. Corvo's vision mode is also quite useful as an alternative when leaning isn't an option.

The combat is simple but effective. I've jumped around the difficulty levels and tried it on each. The major difference is the amount of damage dealt by enemy attacks, but it also seems to increase the use of ranged attacks, which are the real concern in combat.

I took my time with the assassination mission, doing sidequests, searching for runes and finding lore and clues. It really helps to engross you into the world of Dishonored and gives the city of Dunwall real depth and character. I also loved how they handled the non-lethal solution of the first target. I won't spoil it but I enjoyed how it wasn't a simple side-objective, you have to listen to dialogue and really search around if you want to achieve a truly non-lethal run.

So far I've really loved my time with the game so far. I'll probably wait until it unlocks in my region to continue though.

ekim

Additional configuration: (Pretty cool)
Nearly everything for your current campaign can be tweaked.
To find the ini files, go to %USERDIR%\Documents\my games\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config

You are even able to change AI settings like the loudnesse distance in which guards will notice you by sound or how often and long they looking for you after an alarm.
(Hardcore mods incoming)

Just look at the folder to see all the ini files. Nearly everything can be changed from several engine stats to the behavior of weapons.

DocSeuss

apparently the fov slider tops out at 85. has anyone had any luck setting it higher through editing whatever .ini files are available?

I hope someone figures this out. I need it desperately. The FOV is giving me headaches. :\

Superb game so far. Not a fan of Piero's first few lines of voice acting, but his audio logs are great. This honestly seems like the first game I have played in a VERY long time that is actually going to stick with me. Sure, I've loved games like The Witcher 2 or Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but with Dishonored, I'm already planning on how to go back through and play things.

The world's fiction was, within minutes, far more interesting than anything I've ever read. I don't normally pore over lorestuff, because most lore is shit, but this?

This I am obsessed with.

Halo, Hitman, Far Cry, and Assassin's Creed are going to have to be their best games in their respective franchises by a large margin if they want to compete with Dishonored. At this stage, I don't think anything is capable of coming close.

ekim

To fix your FOV go to %USERDIR%\Documents\my games\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config

Open DishonoredEngine.ini

Search for:
GameFOVAngle=75.000000

and change it to meet your needs.

Dishonored seems like it could be something rather special. It seems like it's similar to Deus Ex just in terms of how the world is designed, how open the gameplay is, how you can choose between this toybox of abilities and tools, play anyway you want, the amount of lore peppered throughout a given area, the number of npc's you can interact with, even the situational responses to your actions, it's all so impressive.

I'm going to have a tough time deciding what to play, this or Xcom. They both look like they're pretty spectacular games.

Question for anyone who has completed the first assassination area:

I'm in the part right before I go to confront High Overseer Campbell but I've noticed there are two runes in the area. I'm pretty sure I know where one is but the other is in a lower area and I can't find a way there. I did find a door to the kennels but that's a whole other area. What am I missing?

I hope someone figures this out. I need it desperately. The FOV is giving me headaches. :

Superb game so far. Not a fan of Piero's first few lines of voice acting, but his audio logs are great. This honestly seems like the first game I have played in a VERY long time that is actually going to stick with me. Sure, I've loved games like The Witcher 2 or Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but with Dishonored, I'm already planning on how to go back through and play things.

The world's fiction was, within minutes, far more interesting than anything I've ever read. I don't normally pore over lorestuff, because most lore is shit, but this?

This I am obsessed with.

Halo, Hitman, Far Cry, and Assassin's Creed are going to have to be their best games in their respective franchises by a large margin if they want to compete with Dishonored. At this stage, I don't think anything is capable of coming close.

I agree for the most part as I'm planning my next playthrough too and I just finished the first assassination mission, there is so much opportunity it's awesome. ThOugh comparing it to the Witcher seems a bit odd. They are both doing different things. I have yet to beat this, but I highly doubt this'll compare to the witcher 2 in terms of storytelling which is what tgat game was all about.

Though comparing this to Deus Ex is def. spot on. A lot of the stealth elements in DE:HR really felt shoehorned in(vents) but Dishonored seems to take a more natural approach and it fits very very well.

Top Bottom