• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

I'm really liking the game so far. I'm playing on hard and the difficulty feels just right. I'm trying not to abuse quick save too much, but I'm glad the option is there because sometimes it's just really fun to try out different things and see how they work out. Case in point: ambushing Granny's Gentlemen Callers. I set up a bunch of different traps/ambushes for them and tried a few times until I executed it flawlessly. Why? Because it was damned satisfying to do.

I'm really early in the game so I don't want to give it too much credit yet, but I'm pretty damned impressed so far. Linearity in terms of story keeps things focused and prevents the game from devolving because of too much filler content. Runes/charms encourage me to explore my environments. Stealth/assassinations feel rewarding, and when things do devolve into combat, combat feels fantastic and satisfying. Oh, and despite lower resolution assets, the game more than makes up for it with it's gorgeous pastel art style.

If I had to make any complaint against the game, it's that it really fails at making me care about the characters or the story. I really don't feel any connection to the Empress, her daughter, or the rebellion. I'd say animation/modeling is one of the larger culprits here. A big reason why I cared for Alyx in HL2 is because she felt real. I really don't get that feeling with any character from this game.

I definitely get what you mean, although so far I've been loving the cartoony looking character models. I think my disconnect from the emotion of the story stems from how inconsistent the writing is; some of it is wonderful, and some of it becomes incredibly expository or just plain hard to take seriously, thanks to half-hearted British phrases being said through American accents or other weird little things like that.

It's a great game, though. Loving it so far.

I'm really liking the game so far. I'm playing on hard and the difficulty feels just right. I'm trying not to abuse quick save too much, but I'm glad the option is there because sometimes it's just really fun to try out different things and see how they work out. Case in point: ambushing Granny's Gentlemen Callers. I set up a bunch of different traps/ambushes for them and tried a few times until I executed it flawlessly. Why? Because it was damned satisfying to do.

I'm really early in the game so I don't want to give it too much credit yet, but I'm pretty damned impressed so far. Linearity in terms of story keeps things focused and prevents the game from devolving because of too much filler content. Runes/charms encourage me to explore my environments. Stealth/assassinations feel rewarding, and when things do devolve into combat, combat feels fantastic and satisfying. Oh, and despite lower resolution assets, the game more than makes up for it with it's gorgeous pastel art style.

If I had to make any complaint against the game, it's that it really fails at making me care about the characters or the story. I really don't feel any connection to the Empress, her daughter, or the rebellion. I'd say animation/modeling is one of the larger culprits here. A big reason why I cared for Alyx in HL2 is because she felt real. I really don't get that feeling with any character from this game.

Shit I didn't even think of setting up traps for that one.

I love the bone charms, definitely keep me exploring every inch.

jaaz

I was surprised at how good the game looks on PC and how smoothly it runs. Looks to me way better than the trailers. It may not be pushing millions of polys, but man the art direction makes up for it.

There are also tons of story details scattered about. If you take the time to explore, you will usually be rewarded with letters and the like that set the scene in this godforsaken place. It's logical too, if you think to yourself "there just has to be something hidden over there"... there usually is.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone know if or tried to do a save swap from 360 to PC like Skyrim had. Love to pickup the game on Steam for my travels.

mocoworm

Digital Foundry: Face Off - 360 / PS3

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dishonored-face-off

"If you're steadfast in your console allegiance, the only considerable negative would be the higher rate of tearing on PS3 - though much of this is mirrored by the 360 version during combat. But if dropped v-sync is something you can overlook, the decision may well come down to controller preference, or even your uses for the PS3's 5.1LPCM support. Either way, Dishonored easily arrives as a worthwhile proposition on any platform."

And the side quests are missions themselves. I spent most of my 3 hour playthrough doing the first quest I came upon, as well as some exploring. It's meaty as hell.

thats awesome, I had no idea there were side quests

picked up my preorder from gamestop. wow the deck of tarot cards is way nicer than I expected

Copping this later in November. Still have to play more of Borderlands 2 and get on XCom which is sitting there installed right now.

Deus Ex is my favorite game of all time. Human Revolution was top 3 game of the year last year for me. How much will I like this game?

Glad to hear you guys are liking this. I've been looking forward to playing this for a long time, but my dog had to have emergency surgery, so no buying games for quite some time.
Savor it as this game appears to reward experimentation.

ttocs

The more I watch of trailers of this game, the more excited I get. Can't wait until 4pm when I can finally get off work and pick up the game.

jet1911

I love the flow of movement in this game, the way you go from steath to to choke a guard and carry his body, jump into a river to hide or behind a crate and peak around. It's all so well done.

WTF seriously cannot get this game to work on steam. AT ALL.

Game is unavailable. I get the same f'in issue with Torchlight 2 demo, but the rest of my games will work fine. What's up with this bullshit?! Seriously.

Soi-Fong

Wow.. I can get this game for 35 bucks! Wondering if I should..

Gt the 10 dollar credit from GMG for getting XCOM here in NA and with the 25% off code still active I can get the game for 35 bucks. Yes or no... Should I get it?

jet1911

Wow.. I can get this game for 35 bucks! Wondering if I should..

Gt the 10 dollar credit from GMG for getting XCOM here in NA and with the 25% off code still active I can get the game for 35 bucks. Yes or no... Should I get it?

If you like that style of game yes you should. It's fantastic.

eyeless

got my plastic usb whale oil lamp and i'm ready to get it in aw shit

any tweaks or anything else i need to know about for the pc other than the fov one?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I only got to play for an hour last night, but this looks like it's going to be one of those games that totally consumes my thoughts. I'm sitting here at work and the urge to just bail out and go play it is strong! I haven't had a game do this to me for a long time.

jaaz

WTF seriously cannot get this game to work on steam. AT ALL.

Game is unavailable. I get the same f'in issue with Torchlight 2 demo, but the rest of my games will work fine. What's up with this bullshit?! Seriously.

Wild shot, but have you tried quitting Steam completely and restarting it? I had mine pre-loaded and had never quit Steam since I bought the game. I had to quit and restart Steam before it would show as available to play.

Gonna start it up now, I don't usually opt for the hardest difficulty for my first playthrough buuut

FUCK IT #YOLO VERY HARD MODE AND NO UI MARKERS

Crisco

Banned
I like the game, although it does suffer a bit from trying to be too many thing at once. Like, it gives you all these awesome ways to kill people, yet incentives non-lethal take downs. I feel it should give players who want to play around with all weapons and powers some sort of ancillary benefit as well.

eyeless

(question about the intro) does
fighting against and potentially killing attackers in the intro count as killing people? "defending" doesn't seem like something i want to do but i suppose the empress is going to die either way. even still, not sure i can bring myself to not blast at these motherfuckers if they're attacking the empress. and i plan to ghost this game.. uhhh

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I like the game, although it does suffer a bit from trying to be too many thing at once. Like, it gives you all these awesome ways to kill people, yet incentives non-lethal take downs. I feel it should give players who want to play around with all weapons and powers some sort of ancillary benefit as well.
KuGsj.gif

Killing people without regard for the trail of blood behind you is much easier. There's all the incentive you should need.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
so, uh, where's the demo?

for a game which takes its cue from so many of bioshock's most attractive qualities, surely they recognize the one element that really propelled irrational's title into the "most wanted" stratosphere?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
so, uh, where's the demo?

for a game which takes its cue from so many of bioshock's most attractive qualities, surely they recognize the one element that really propelled irrational's title into the "most wanted" stratosphere?

The word of mouth and critical reception?

Top Bottom