• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

eyeless

(question about the intro) does
fighting against and potentially killing attackers in the intro count as killing people? "defending" doesn't seem like something i want to do but i suppose the empress is going to die either way. even still, not sure i can bring myself to not blast at these motherfuckers if they're attacking the empress. and i plan to ghost this game.. uhhh
someone pls answer my question i can't play until i know

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Being able to get this game for 35 bucks from GMG is getting harder and harder to resist.
Typo or do I need to start raging?
LLShC.gif

Is there some kind of hub between missions? Similar to the city in Thief 3?
Haven't played Thief 3 but yes indeed there is.

Soi-Fong

Typo or do I need to start raging?
LLShC.gif

Haven't played Thief 3 but yes indeed there is.

Not a typo. I got a 10 dollar credit from buying XCOM in GMG ( they gave 10 dollar credit for those who were in NA) and with te 25% off code still active, the game goes down to 35 bucks.

60 * 25% off = $45 - $10 credit = $35.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ohhh that is real good. Will definitely be turning that off when I start it up again.
Go all out and turn off your crosshair man. Become the assassin you were born to be
Not a typo. I got a 10 dollar credit from buying XCOM in GMG ( they gave 10 dollar credit for those who were in NA) and with te 25% off code still active, the game goes down to 35 bucks.

60 * 25% off = $45 - $10 credit = $35.
Oh I didn't know about the $10 credit. So that would wind up getting you both for $75 eh? Ridiculous value from the sound of things.

Soi-Fong

Go all out and turn off your crosshair man. Become the assassin you were born to be

Oh I didn't know about the $10 credit. So that would wind up getting you both for $75 eh? Ridiculous value from the sound of things.

Yeah, it was an exclusive offer for NA people since the 25% off code didn't apply to XCOM.

Still having a hard time justifying the 35 bucks, but I still need a bit of pushing.

If bought, both games come out to $80 actually.

Did anyone else score the pack of Tarot Cards at GS? They look pretty badass. Last time I got a pack of cards from a game release was when Psychonauts came out.

That was the only reason I preordered from GS. I fucking love collecting tarot cards, so I'm glad to see they're actually worth the preorder. Going to pick up my copy a little later today.

JohngPR

Indeed, it's just not viable (at least the first time around) to punish yourself that way when the game is so willing to do the punishment for you. With Blink, the whole concept of "oh god now what" is turned on its head from the get-go. I can barely contain my excitement for the point at which I have a whole host of powers.

A couple shots with SweetFX/SMAA going. May play with supersampling later.

Would you mind sharing your settings for SweetFX/SMAA?

I love the flow of movement in this game, the way you go from steath to to choke a guard and carry his body, jump into a river to hide or behind a crate and peak around. It's all so well done.

Yes I'm very much in agreement, some of the best FPS movement behind Mirrors Edge for me.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I was only one of two people at my local gamestops midnight launch for Dishonored, now that I think about it, the other guy could've been grabbing Xcom. Oh well hopefully the game performs well, I've enjoyed what I've played thus far, alot of saving and reloading though because I encountered some glitchy bugs. I love blink.

Cheech

Yeah, it was an exclusive offer for NA people since the 25% off code didn't apply to XCOM.

Still having a hard time justifying the 35 bucks, but I still need a bit of pushing.

If bought, both games come out to $80 actually.

Yeah, I did this too. Had no intention of buying Dishonored, but the deal was too good to pass up.

I also bought Guild Wars 2 using that 25% off code.

I don't know how Green Man Gaming does it, but my fall slate of games is coming together nicely thanks to them!

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Also I wish there was a targeting system so it'd be easy to not have to orient yourself every time an enemy moves. And I wish leaning from behind cover was a simple press and not a press and hold, it makes moving while leaning difficult and it feels awkward but these are only minor gripes from a great game.

Wild shot, but have you tried quitting Steam completely and restarting it? I had mine pre-loaded and had never quit Steam since I bought the game. I had to quit and restart Steam before it would show as available to play.

Several tries. I've tried several things Steam suggests on it's site: updating drivers etc... Still NOTHING! I dunno why I can play games like Sleeping dogs and Deus ex HR just fine but this bitch of a game won't start... AT all.

Killing people without regard for the trail of blood behind you is much easier. There's all the incentive you should need.

We choose to play stealth games not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

That was the only reason I preordered from GS. I fucking love collecting tarot cards, so I'm glad to see they're actually worth the preorder. Going to pick up my copy a little later today.

Was denied the deck when I picked up my copy because my preorder came after some arbitrary cutoff date not listed on the website, so be prepared.

Soi-Fong

Better you told him anyway. Hate to see someone unintentionally buying copies for lurkers.

Yup. This. lol Nice to see gaffers watching out for each other. Anyway, I bought the game, but more than likely won't get to it for a while.

The deal just seemed too good to pass up. I've been busy with schoolwork, FIFA 13 and XCOM so those will take up most of my time.

I can't see getting Dishonored for cheaper than 35 bucks even during the Steam sales.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
SweetFX settings:
/*-----------------------------------------------------------.
/ Choose effects /
'-----------------------------------------------------------*/

// Set to 1 for ON or 0 for OFF
#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 1
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 0 //Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
#define USE_BLOOM 0 // Bloom makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_HDR 1 // Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR 1
#define USE_TONEMAP 0
#define USE_VIBRANCE 1 //Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
#define USE_SEPIA 0
#define USE_VIGNETTE 0 //Darkens the edges of the image to make it more look like it was shot with a camera lens. May cause banding artifacts.
#define USE_DITHER 1 //Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts.

/ SMAA Anti-aliasing settings /

#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.13 // (0.08-0.20) Edge detection threshold
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 16 // [0-98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 6 // [0-16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 30 // [0-100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
#define COLOR_EDGE_DETECTION 1 // 1 Enables color edge detection (slower but more acurate) - 0 uses luma edge detection (faster)
#define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND 0 // Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.

/ HDR settings /
#define HDRPower 1.40 //Strangely lowering this makes the image brighter
#define radius2 0.95 //Raising this seems to make the effect stronger and also brighter

/ TECHNICOLOR settings /
#define TechniAmount 0.11
#define TechniPower 2.8
#define redNegativeAmount 0.88
#define greenNegativeAmount 0.88
#define blueNegativeAmount 0.88

/ Vibrance settings /
#define Vibrance 0.05 //Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.

Wish I could turn off the stats page at the end of a mission. I find that it takes me out of the experience. I'm not playing for any "non-lethal" runs nor do I care about those stats. I just want to experience the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My retail copy just arrived. Installing at the moment, but I have to head to work in a bit. Won't get to play until tonight. :\

Top Bottom