• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

neoism

7 hours played just got done with mission 2...

GOTY
ibbow4PtxSfbFr.jpg

ctrayne

Anyone who beats a game like this in 6 hours and isn't - a) under some sort of deadline, or b) purposefully doing a speed run - can safely be described as an asshole.

Hah, this made me laugh more that it should have. Too true, though.

Some more great RPS insights here: (non-specific but potential mild spoilers)
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/09/the-rps-verdict-dishonored/

Alec: Yes, there are no boss fights

Adam: IF it has bosses they are buildings.

Alec: Well, there is one, but it is an optional side-quest you may never see. The bosses are the levels, comparable to the tentacle beast in Half-Life. Accessing new rooms and spaces without being caught.

Jim: Agreed. It overflows with master craftsmanship. Beautifully made. It’s a luxury construct.

John: It’s a stunning spectacle of a game. It’s a game-game too – it embraces what only gaming can deliver, and cares so much about delivering it.

Alec: I never felt confused or uncomfortable, it immediately made sense, tapping into things and skills I knew well but without simply repeating them. People should buy it.

Regarding the things I've heard about the last stage, (non spoiler spoiler)
if it is as empty and eerie as some people have made it out to be, I actually think that's cool.
Not every game needs to end with an explosive finale - some of the best classical music ends with a whisper, not a bang. We'll see what I think when I get there, though.

stupei

When you carry unconcious ennemies if you drop them from too high they will die.

"Dropped" one while too close to a piece of furniture and Corvo decided to slam the guy down. Left a messy splat of blood across the dresser... but the guy still registered as unconscious.

Felt like I got lucky.

neoism

Saw this over at Reddit:

How to change FOV
  • Go to: Documents\My Games\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config
  • Open: DishonoredInput.ini
  • Add this line: "m_PCBindings=(Name="F4",Command="FOV 110")" after this line "m_PCBindings=(Name="Zero",Command="GBA_Shortcut_9")". Don't forget to save the file.
  • Launch your game and press F4.
  • Goodbye headache !

How to Hide/display HUD
  • Add this line: m_PCBindings=(Name="F6",Command="ShowHUD true")
  • Press F6 to hide or display HUD.

Remove intro movies (Arkane logo, Bethesda logo, UE3 logo, etc)
  • Go to \Steam\steamapps\common\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Movies
  • Delete/move these files:
  • Legal.bik
  • LogoArkane.bik
  • LogoBethesda.bik
  • UE3_logo.bik
  • ZenimaxLegal.bik
  • ZenimaxLegal ** .bik ( ** depends of your region)

my hero...

ctrayne

I assume people have noticed that while sneaking Corvo will duck extra low to hide under tables and desks? You can even stash unconscious enemies there.

I also laid down a body and heard a crunching noise and got scared. Looked around, saw nobody. Realized I had laid the body down on a glass. :)

Now every time you post I think about how badly I want a JF!2 remake and it is making me sad.

Although, all kidding aside, despite a radically different tone this game really does have the "fuck yeah we DID just do that" sort of self-assurance that made JF! so charming.

Ha, it's time to change my avatar then. Robbit doesn't have a chance of being in PASBR anyway.

JohngPR

SweetFX settings:

Played around with the settings and it turns out that in-game MLAA with SMAA Injector works better for me than SweetFX. :(

I like the improved color saturation I get with SweetFX but it takes a little bit of a hit in performance. I still run at 60fps, but with a lot more FPS hitches when compared to MLAA/SMAA.

Oh well, thanks for helping me out. :)

Saw this over at Reddit:

How to change FOV
  • Go to: Documents\My Games\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config
  • Open: DishonoredInput.ini
  • Add this line: "m_PCBindings=(Name="F4",Command="FOV 110")" after this line "m_PCBindings=(Name="Zero",Command="GBA_Shortcut_9")". Don't forget to save the file.
  • Launch your game and press F4.
  • Goodbye headache !

How to Hide/display HUD
  • Add this line: m_PCBindings=(Name="F6",Command="ShowHUD true")
  • Press F6 to hide or display HUD.

Remove intro movies (Arkane logo, Bethesda logo, UE3 logo, etc)
  • Go to \Steam\steamapps\common\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Movies
  • Delete/move these files:
  • Legal.bik
  • LogoArkane.bik
  • LogoBethesda.bik
  • UE3_logo.bik
  • ZenimaxLegal.bik
  • ZenimaxLegal ** .bik ( ** depends of your region)

Great! If anyone finds a way to remove the black bars during the story bits please let me know.

Jack_AG

Banned
Game should give you an achievement for completing it in under 6 hours.

"Doing It Wrong"
Is it? The game gives the player freedom of choice but you are insisting that using said freedom is wrong? Or should all games include instructions on "how you should play"?

What about speed runs? Are those wrong?

I feel if someone plays the game as they enjoy it - they are doing it right be it triple checking every pixel of the game world or going for speed runs.

There is no "wrong" way to play as you enjoy playing. Satisfaction comes in multiple levels and I don't think we need single-sided blanket statements about individual enjoyment.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Bought it on green man gaming for 35$, god i love PC gaming and its deals. There was the 25% code to reduce it to 45$, and used the 10$ credit i was given by buying X-COM.

bah, banned meme?

I dropped an enemy into a shallow pool of water and when I picked up the body it no longer said "unconscious" so I figure that kills em too.?

I had this happen also. If you drop an unconscious body in water they will drown. I was definitely not expecting this, but I love the realism.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Any work around for settings (graphics, controls, everything) resetting to default when in offline mode?

Eideka

Banned
Why do you find it insulting? I don't see why someone would be upset about it, it's hilarious and not a big deal. But to each their own I guess.

No, that's lame and seriously not funny at all. No wonder why it's bannable.

This whole "MR" stuff is bullcrap anyway. And I'm primarily a PC gamer but I don't feel any kind of "superiority" while playing games on PC.

Sure, graphics are leagues above but at the end of the day what matters is the experience.

Raptomex

This game looks really cool. But I'll wait for a sale. Hopefully Christmas. Too many games coming out. Is this game open world? Or open world missions?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Any way to make your changes actually save? Because it sucks that it reverts to default every single time. (Except resolution, for some reason)

ezekial45

Banned
This game is fucking wonderful. My God, Arkane Studios brought the heat. I hope this game does well, we need more games like this.

This whole "MR" stuff is bullcrap anyway. And I'm primarily a PC gamer but I don't feel any kind of "superiority" while playing games on PC.

Sure, graphics are leagues above but at the end of the day what matters is the experience.
Agreed, all it really serves is to shit up the thread.

Plasmid

Game is solid but i wish there was more reward for completing missions other than what you collect throughout the missions (runes, charms coins etc).

krishian

After a couple hours with the game, this really seems to be something special. Can't wait for the weekend, when I can throw myself at the game for a longer period of time.

vazel

Banned
I'm still at the Overseer mission and I'm loving exploring the area. There are lots of ways to approach things. I have 3 hours so fears about a short length are unfounded unless you're intentionally speedrunning.

One graphical niggle though, what the hell is this noise. It's only noticeable in dark areas.

Also, not a fan of the way text panels tilt when you scroll down. Damn those fancy Scaleform effects.

Leeness

Ugh I want this game so badly.

I know it's bad to hope for, because I would like this game to do well, but drop in price or have a sale soon. :(

ctrayne

Ahhhh, thanks. I assume this isn't the case of one super duper good ending and other shitty endings however?

I heard something about seven endings (or rather, seven variations of the ending?) but I have no hard evidence, and I'm not about to spoil myself!

Quick question: I played the first mission(prison escape) over and over and I always have one kill on my score even if I didn't kill anyone. First time through I managed to "ghost" but a kill always shows up or if I get a "no-kill" run I don't get rewarded for ghosting even if I don't alert anyone. Is there a glitch in this intro mission?

I'm playing on Hard since there is nothing extra or any achievement for beating the game on Hard, just increased guard difficulty and alertness maybe a Normal no kill ghost run would be better?

Wah.

Pride in one's platform choice is part of gaming. Plus, this image was clearly in jest.

If bannable - then ban me for stating the SNES is better than the Genesis. That Coke is greater than Pepsi. Beatles over Monkees.

GAF can handle playful banter....

...right?

edit: also ban crazy sport fans.

Top Bottom