• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

It's the price you pay to get these giant, intricate levels running on dying consoles.

Can everyone stop blaming the consoles for the way this game looks?

Other games like Assassin's Creed, Red Dead Redemption and Skyrim are doing more than Dishonored and still manage to look beautiful (most of the time).

The achievement specifically states that no, the prologue doesn't count.

Ghost (30)
"Complete all missions after the prologue, alerting or killing no one but the key targets"

Wait wait wait...I read somewhere that killing the attackers in the prologue will negate the Clean Hands achievement. Right or wrong?

Thanks and that's why I haven't moved on too much after the prologue I don't know if it will count against me or not.

Derrick01

Banned

Other games like Assassin's Creed, Red Dead Redemption and Skyrim are doing more than Dishonored and still manage to look beautiful (most of the time).

Skyrim is beautiful? Oooook.

Also how is Red Dead with its giant empty desert doing more?

Skyrim is beautiful? Oooook.

Also how is Red Dead with its giant empty desert doing more?

I thought/think that RDR is one of the best looking games on the 360. I loved the vistas and the..well, the whole damn package really.

But, I do think that they def. made concessions for the consoles when it comes to what the PC can do. I dont care, as this Supersampled looks pretty damn good and plays 60fps at all times. I love the watercolor aesthetic they went with. I just wish that the textures were a higher resolution and the dreaded UE3 pop in shows it's face here from time to time, though less often than other games.

sp3000

Actually, they aren't. Especially not Skyrim.

Solo

OK, so after just spending the last 3 hours just doing the first mission alone (4 hour game lololololz), I am happy to report that it was just me yesterday. The game is the bomb diggity. Sure, you're overpowered as fuck, but its just so goddamn fun to blink right behind and enemy, assassinate him before he knows you're even there, and then blink onto another target. The world design is astounding. The first level was mammoth and intricate, with tons of different paths, neat details and hidden stuff. Then there is rune/bone charm hunting on top of that. I
poisoned both dudes
:lol

Game rocks.

Bethesda/Zenimax did zero marketing for this game before release (Hunted and Wet got a better ads push than this) with almost zero media coverage from them and sites many people just like you got surprised when they heard about the high scores it got or read people impressions,Its my game of the year,hope word of mouth spreads,this game deserve to sell well.

Ads for the game have been running frequently for weeks for this game now.

The problem the game has is that it got little game media coverage. The game didn't exist on anyones radar till just a few months ago when it was really revealed. Game sites and mags barely covered this game in favor of the usual suspects. New IP like this needed to be revealed alot earlier to start building up the big hype as it doesn't have the power of the big known IPs to just get revealed a few months beforehand and everyone is talking about it.

The art style while rating high with the geek nation, likely is going to be seen as a turn off for much of the general consumers who also aren't obsessed with anything steampunk.

mr stroke

This game came out of nowhere for me, not much hype so I didn't pay attention to it. Every thing is amazing so far- Graphics(PC), art direction, story, and voice acting are all top notch. If it were not for Walking Dead this would be my GOTY.

Flunkie

Banned
Hey so is it all or nothing for the "good" ending, either you kill nobody or kill one person? Cause I have a strong urge to kill people with this very nice sword here. Just started out.

KingKong

2nd mission-
how do I get the art dealers safe code? When I get into the room he goes into attack mode and I have to kill him

Soo, it's fun. Lots to do and explore. I started blinking onto rooftops, grinning like an idiot at the puny mortals below. For some reason I'm trying to do a non-lethal playthrough, but it's gonna be tough.

Game's ugly as sin on the 360, though. Really really ugly.

Wow I think it looks really really nice and clean for a 360 game, one of the best and cleanest on offer I'd say. The UI is also really slick and the controls quickly respond to input (i.e. using health/mana and quickly switching between abilities and weapons).

Towards the end of my first play through murdering everyone I come into contact with. I have about 30hrs or so invested so far and I'm exploring the shit out of Dunwall for runes, bone charms, and side missions.

1stStrike

Banned
Hey so is it all or nothing for the "good" ending, either you kill nobody or kill one person? Cause I have a strong urge to kill people with this very nice sword here. Just started out.

As long as you keep your overall chaos rating low throughout the game you're fine. I killed people along the way and still got the good ending - hell, I killed 10 people in one of the missions and had a low chaos rating, so yeah.

RedSwirl

'bout to fire up a GameFly copy. It took Deus Ex Human Revolution less than 30 minutes to convince me to buy it. Let's see how Dishonored does.

Eusis

OK, so after just spending the last 3 hours just doing the first mission alone (4 hour game lololololz), I am happy to report that it was just me yesterday.
Hardly just you. That sounds very similar to my experience, and I doubt anyone's going to come away very impressed if you only had them play up to just before the first mission. But once they sink their teeth into it they're almost certain to be impressed. Unless they're a sociopath that just wants to shoot everything in sight anyway.

Midou

'bout to fire up a GameFly copy. It took Deus Ex Human Revolution less than 30 minutes to convince me to buy it. Let's see how Dishonored does.

I was hooked into Deus Ex: HR really quickly, but it took part way into the first 'full' mission in Dishonored for it to click with me. I was using the blink ability kind of sloppily at first, but when you realize it's full potential, it enhances every part of the experience.

Midou

As long as you keep your overall chaos rating low throughout the game you're fine. I killed people along the way and still got the good ending - hell, I killed 10 people in one of the missions and had a low chaos rating, so yeah.

Seems chaos is to do with how much you're seen and people panicking when they see you. I've stealth killed and turned into ashes, like 15 enemies in one mission, but since I got ghost too, chaos was low.

Is there a place for people to discuss how disappointed they are in Dishonored?

I'm starting to feel retarded after seeing the incredible outpouring of positive press and user feedback.

I played until the second mission.

I do agree the art design is fantastic, level design is great.
Having said that, this game is as close to Bioshock as I feared it would be. Rather than giving me the feeling of being in this richly layered world that they created, it makes me feel as if I'm a ghost in a level designer's dream. Where I can only go where they expected me to go, and only interact with what they expected me to interact with.

They put a ton of work into motion capture and voice acting and other scripting exercises, but all that work is for naught when I engage multiple characters in conversation, and they all just start to ramble their script as I walk away, talking as if I was still standing there.

Dark Souls handles this well, I walk away mid-conversation? The character is going to stop talking and yell at me.

The gameplay is too streamlined. I can only pick up the objects that are shiny, and the variety of these is very limited. Any 'odd' objects get automatically turned into coins and there is no inventory space.
There are recordings strewn about, and as far as I can tell always on the same types of shiny machines, the letters and notes you find throughout are just tired. It is about as engaging as listening to the developer commentary in a Valve game.

The levels feel 'baked', very beautifully baked with some amazing god-rays and lighting though. But I feel like I am a ghost in a level designer's dream. Besides the NPC's there is no consistency in what objects I can pick up and move. With this graphical fidelity I expect to be able to pick up a brick and toss it, rather than stick to the bottles that are handed out to me. If I can't do that, don't put loose bricks in the level for decoration! The first level had a chair that didn't move when I touched it, I couldn't bump into it, I couldn't pick it up.. why? It just takes me out of the experience and shatters the illusion.

I could open the prison cell door, but not close it. Why? There is just no consistent logic to the in-game world rules.

Deus Ex 1 was much more simpler visually, but at least it allowed me to pick up any object that was not bolted to the floor. Including chairs. Yes it didn't really have any gameplay purpose, but at least it helped make the world believable.. and I could use anything around me to try and distract guards. The area outside the 'hub' pub is just _dead_, a dead-end street where the doors, glass windows and anything else is made out of cement and cannot be interacted with. Can't we just move our level-design and game-design standards along with our increased visual standards?

The 'void' sequences, despite being visually striking, showed an intense lack of forward vision when it comes to gameplay. It reminded me of the Max Payne 1 levels were you follow the trail of blood.

Some of the swordplay feels and looks great though, and the combat does leave room for a lot of dynamic situations to occur. But with the achievements the way they are, it almost makes you feel guilty for not playing full-stealth.. so why not introduce more ways for stealthy take downs? There isn't a lot of variety.
When taking the combat to the extreme, the AI sometimes is quite laughable and in places reminds me of Fallout 3 / NV.

sp3000

Yeah the game does borrow from Bioshock a bit too heavily. The complete lack of object interactivity sticks out. As mentioned even last gen games like Splinter Cell and Deus Ex Invisible War allowed you to interact with everything.

The game is about using your abilities to fuck with the AI and using abilities to allow you some latitude with navigational constraints through the environment.

I don't get the complaint about "why can't I sit in this chair? Why can't I move the chair?" when it has absolutely nothing to do with the gameplay!! Manipulating the AI is the primary gameplay element.

Furthermore, only playing two levels isn't allowing enough time to acquire enough abilities to really enjoy the sandbox levels, the game gets better and better the longer you play, acquire new abilities, and experiment.

Salsa

I find myself going around the hub trying to do anything cause I dont want the game to advance, lol

I spent 5 hours on the first mission yesterday and I played about the same amount today (if not less) and already at the fourth or fifth :(

RedSwirl

The game is about using your abilities to fuck with the AI and using abilities to allow you some latitude with navigational constraints through the environment.

I don't get the complaint about "why can't I sit in this chair? Why can't I move the chair?" when it has absolutely nothing to do with the gameplay!! Manipulating the AI is the primary gameplay element.

Furthermore, only playing two levels isn't allowing enough time to acquire enough abilities to really enjoy the sandbox levels, the game gets better and better the longer you play, acquire new abilities, and experiment.

They're just remarking on how the game doesn't feel as interactive as its ancestors in the spirit of giving the player a world and letting them do almost anything with it, regardless of whether it's "what the game is about."

1stStrike

Banned

I agree in that this isn't a sandbox type game and there's really no purpose in making every single object manipulable in the game world. Being able to move or sit in a chair serves no purpose outside of someone wanting to roleplay I guess, which this game is definitely not geared towards.

That's not to say the game isn't without its flaws, because it definitely has them, but I feel that they provided enough interactivity with the game world for the purpose of this game with little compromise. If you want to be able to pick up everything for no reason other than just being able to do it (which I see no purpose in) Skyrim and similar games are already out there for you to play.

Alright, i just finished the game as a lethal run on normal, lets get to the non spoiler first.

Kind of annoyed i can't replay any of the missions with my current powers.

Plasmid, how did you find the difficulty? Good for a first-time through? I want a challenge, but I also don't want to have the experience marred by repetition due to effin' up a lot, etc.

Also - and anyone can chime in on this - how is the feedback on firing weapons? Is the pistol nice and meaty?

They're just remarking on how the game doesn't feel as interactive as its ancestors in the spirit of giving the player a world and letting them do almost anything with it, regardless of whether it's "what the game is about."

Sure Dishonored doesn't allow the player to pick up chairs, but gameplay itself is much deeper than its predecessors.

Derrick01

Banned
OK, so after just spending the last 3 hours just doing the first mission alone (4 hour game lololololz), I am happy to report that it was just me yesterday. The game is the bomb diggity. Sure, you're overpowered as fuck, but its just so goddamn fun to blink right behind and enemy, assassinate him before he knows you're even there, and then blink onto another target. The world design is astounding. The first level was mammoth and intricate, with tons of different paths, neat details and hidden stuff. Then there is rune/bone charm hunting on top of that. I
poisoned both dudes
:lol

Game rocks.

Knew you'd come around eventually. That 1st mission is hard to resist.

I agree in that this isn't a sandbox type game and there's really no purpose in making every single object manipulable in the game world. Being able to move or sit in a chair serves no purpose outside of someone wanting to roleplay I guess, which this game is definitely not geared towards.

That's not to say the game isn't without its flaws, because it definitely has them, but I feel that they provided enough interactivity with the game world for the purpose of this game with little compromise. If you want to be able to pick up everything for no reason other than just being able to do it (which I see no purpose in) Skyrim and similar games are already out there for you to play.

I understand this game isn't about role playing, but why even put a chair there if it functions as a giant rock? It is just unnecessary. I had a similar problem with Deus Ex HR, where it seems the levels had an immense level of object detail and variety (especially the offices), but all of it was baked. The illusion was shattered the moment you accidentally bump into something or an explosion goes off.. and nothing happens to the stack of papers that were in the middle of the blast radius.

This is a stealth game? So take your pretty lighting system down a notch and introduce dynamic lights. Let me turn off generators to certain buildings so I can use darkness as a cover. Let me shoot out lights.

Why shouldn't I have expected any evolution from the Deus Ex 1 formula? Its not that I feel entitled, but this mixture of visuals and gameplay just isn't doing it for me anymore.. and I can't be the only one can I?
Minecraft is so immersive to me because it's game world is consistent in its rules. Even a text-adventure game is more immersive because it only communicates to me what I need to know and what is important to me. When game worlds become so visually dense and the game-design doesn't evolve along with the visuals it becomes more and more obvious to me as a player that I am simply being fooled by smoke and mirrors and walking through a pretty maze with some A,B,C choices.

If that chair was not there I wouldn't have been taken out of the experience. If I could have interacted with it I wouldn't have thought anything of it. Deus Ex 1 allowed me to pick up chairs, why couldn't Dishonored take it to the next level and use the chair as a way to distract or attack the guards?

If I could've closed my cell door after opening it I wouldn't have been left wondering 'why can't I close this?' (my in-game reasoning was that if I left it open it would attract the guards' attention, which doesn't seem too far fetched.)

Dishonored is technically an extremely well executed game, but I think the gameplay design is holding it back from its peers. As a stealth game it isn't anything new or daring, and as a FPS game with RPG elements it is severely handicapped and too streamlined.

Why do guards 'sleep' eternally? Why can I, after putting someone to sleep, pick up their body and toss them around infinitely with no fear of them waking up from my behaviour?These are all things that could have made the experience so much deeper.

eyeless

oh god oh man oh god oh man i didn't kill anyone and didn't get the clean hands achievement what the fuck man i didn't kill anyone and they have falsely represented my character

why

epmode

Is there a place for people to discuss how disappointed they are in Dishonored?
$20 says you haven't played Thief. Dishonored borrows a lot more from that than Bioshock. Your complaint about the different items just being converted to cash is a direct holdover from the loot in Thief. The same goes for the unlimited inventory and the lack of trash interactivity.

So I guess I see Dishonored as a spiritual successor to Thief as opposed to System Shock 2, Deus Ex or Bioshock, and most of the design decisions make sense in that respect.

Also, aside from the prison cell door, I can't even think of something else I couldn't close.

oh god oh man oh god oh man i didn't kill anyone and didn't get the clean hands achievement what the fuck man i didn't kill anyone and they have falsely represented my character

why

Are you sure read the statement after each mission I thought I didn't kill anyone in the mission and it said 1 casualty, I heard rats can kill people even when unconscious.

KingKong

$20 says you haven't played Thief. Dishonored borrows a lot more from that than Bioshock. Your complaint about the different items just being converted to cash is a direct holdover from the loot in Thief. The same goes for the unlimited inventory and the lack of trash interactivity.

So I guess I see Dishonored as a spiritual successor to Thief as opposed to System Shock 2, Deus Ex or Bioshock, and most of the design decisions make sense in that respect.

Really, it seems like a cross between Deus Ex and Thief to me

Thief is the obvious influence, but the 'hub' levels with optional side quests and the different ways of entering buildings/finding codes/having side missions influence your main mission is straight out of Deus Ex

jgminto

Hope someone develops a mod to stop bodies from disappearing.

While playing I also got the sudden inclination to shoot some hoops.

5st0j.jpg

I wasn't going to kill anyone but he was going to hurt a civilian and I was out of sleep darts.

Zia

Feel like I'm playing a different game than some of you. I'm an aesthetics-driven player and I think Dishonored is beautiful. I can't think of the last AAA game I played that was as visually appealing.

Also, aside from the prison cell door, I can't even think of something else I couldn't close.

I have played Ultima Underworld 1, System Shock 1, 2, Thief Gold, Thief 2, Thief (Dark Shadows? on xbox..), all Deus Ex games, ...

Should it matter if I have played those? We are 2012, and can do so much more with our technology then just make things pretty. I guess I don't play these games expecting or wanting a good story, I want to be immersed and lost in their game world.

Having said that, Dark Souls tells a much better 'story' to me than Dishonored, which shows that we have so many more avenues to explore when it comes to game world design and interactive storytelling.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
This game is 9 missions, correct? How long does the average mission take?

RedSwirl

Okay, so as someone who hasn't played Thief yet (on my backlog), but has played most of the Ultima Underworld descendants, what am I to expect this to be the closest to? Human Revolution? Chaos Theory?

calder

Just started playing tonight, this is a perfect complimentary game to go with XCOM. Nice to just relax, stealth around and enjoy a neat setting/story without worrying about irreplaceable officers bleeding out in godforsaken burning cities and panic stricken nations dropping out of the alliance.

Top Bottom