• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
E27C1EA311374994033780A07E87DCDB059AA32B
...crap, I missed that street somehow. Might have to backtrack a bit unless you passed me.

Actually, I realized I forgot to use the heart at all on an interesting character, probably worth the handful of Blinks back anyway.

edit: Lots more blood on your blade than mine ;D

Riggs

Banned
Eh why is there no way to kill two guys at once .... I am supposed to be an assassin.

Standing over these 2 guys but I only can kill one at a time, so the other yells for help. And like 6 guys run to his aid. So dumb man I hate game design like this sometimes.

Yeah I can wait for them to split off, or sneak around them I know. I just want to kill them both at once!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Eh why is there no way to kill two guys at once .... I am supposed to be an assassin.

Standing over these 2 guys but I only can kill one at a time, so the other yells for help. And like 6 guys run to his aid. So dumb man I hate game design like this sometimes.

Yeah I can wait for them to split off, or sneak around them I know. I just want to kill them both at once!
*cough*
Blood Thirsty

By blocking melee attacks, doing assassinations or dishing out damage, Corvo's adrenaline builds up. Once Adrenaline is topped off, you can unleash a deadly blow. Level two improves the rate of Adrenaline gain and enables the killing of several enemies.
Yours for 5 runes.

I see. I've been doing a lot of exploring and fully reading everything I find.

I start this kind of game reading everything, but I quickly start to lose interest in doing it. It's a little like Skyrim. 95% of it is meaningless flavor text that I just can't get into. I preferred Bioshock's audio journals. I was always delighted to find one and listen to the history of Rapture. The voice acting was excellent and they had just the right amount of them, and they were hidden in just the right ways to make it exciting to find one. Some games have too little, some games have too much, Bioshock was just right.

I start this kind of game reading everything, but I quickly start to lose interest in doing it. It's a little like Skyrim. 95% of it is meaningless flavor text that I just can't get into. I preferred Bioshock's audio journals. I was always delighted to find one and listen to the history of Rapture. The voice acting was excellent and they had just the right amount of them, and they were hidden in just the right ways to make it exciting to find one. Some games have too little, some games have too much, Bioshock was just right.

++ I started this game reading everything as well and got kind of bored after a while. A lot of it is just random stuff.

I am happy with it even though I finished it in 7 hrs. Worth the $60 IMO even if it's just to support a sequel or more games like this. I will go back through eventually and try to ghost it. Will probably take a lot longer

Yeah, I played for about 5 hours last night and am just on the second mission. Of course I did a whole bunch of exploring during the first mission and probably did all the possible sidequests. I love the fact that, after you complete the main mission, like three or four optional side things to do before you leave pop up after. Makes the game feel a lot more organic, no "you got the bad guy, you get a cut-scene, a cleared screen and move on to the next level immediately after!" Feels a lot like Hitman in that regard.

branny

Lol, I can already tell this game is going to be hilarious.

Minor first mission spoilers:
I manually tripped the wire in the sewer and got shot. "Oh. Okay." I reloaded because losing that tiny bit of health over something stupid annoyed me. The second time I threw a bottle to trip it from further away. The arrow(?) missed me ("AHA!"), but it hit the wall behind where I was and caused an explosion that blew me off the ledge to my death. This is one of those games, isn't it?

++ I started this game reading everything as well and got kind of bored after a while. A lot of it is just random stuff.

I still pick stuff up and scan it because they do occasionally hide clues for opening safes or finding hidden stuff in them. I also listen to the audio things when I find them because they sometimes have interesting, plot-related stuff too.

Lol, I can already tell this game is going to be hilarious.

Minor first mission spoilers:
I manually tripped the wire in the sewer and got shot. "Oh. Okay." I reloaded because losing that tiny bit of health over something stupid annoyed me. The second time I threw a bottle to trip it from further away. The arrow(?) missed me ("AHA!"), but it hit the wall behind where I was and caused an explosion that blew me off the ledge to my death. This is one of those games, isn't it?

lol, I felt like a badass at this part because
I slid too late so I still tripped the wire, but the bolt flew over my head. I said 'oh shit' out loud, haha.

Another minor first mission spoiler:
I actually killed Granny Rags with a sleep bolt when I first came up on her.. She creeped me the hell out. I got a 'mission failed' message immediately, so I had to reload lol.

I might not be too good at it right now, but the game is definitely awesome and I'm looking forward to getting used to the mechanics and controls. Just upgraded blink before I stopped playing last night, too. The next mission should be pretty fun.

Amir0x

Banned
Wow this game is fastly approaching top 5 status for my games this year. I'm really, really impressed. Best stealth game in years.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There are audio logs too obviously. It's a good compromise in my opinion.

Every book you read gets stashed in your journal (dude writes fast!) so if you feel like binging later or reading up on a specific topic it's all there for you.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm at the part after Lady Boyle's Manor.

Where the hell is Emily at the pub? She was playing hide and seek and Cecelia lost her.

Where can I find her?

EDIT: NVM.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow this game is fastly approaching top 5 status for my games this year. I'm really, really impressed. Best stealth game in years.

This probably is the best stealth game since Chaos Theory and Hitman Blood Money. Granted there hasn't been a lot of competent competition since then but it's still a great achievement.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just realized Dishonored took the idea of Blink from Battlezone 2, down to the name
Dunno if this was serious or not, but "blinking" to mean short instant teleportation is at least as old as Dungeons and Dragons in the 70s.
This probably is the best stealth game since Chaos Theory and Hitman Blood Money. Granted there hasn't been a lot of competent competition since then but it's still a great achievement.
Its approach to mission design has Blood Money in its DNA for sure, but the sheer variety and potency of your abilities here make it more fun for me personally. Hitman feels a bit more like an assassin simulator in comparison to this game's power fantasy.

Ashodin

Dunno if this was serious or not, but "blinking" to mean short instant teleportation is at least as old as Dungeons and Dragons in the 70s.

Its approach to mission design has Blood Money in its DNA for sure, but the sheer variety and potency of your abilities here make it more fun for me personally. Hitman feels a bit more like an assassin simulator in comparison to this game's power fantasy.

This man knows his stuff

Just did my first ghost/non-lethal run on the third mission, I believe. Took me a good amount of time, but only because I was exploring the entire map. The way these levels are designed is fucking astonishing. The routes, the intricacies. As I said, not having some sort of non-lethal melee weapon puts me off from going full-on ghost. I got the achievements, so that's good. I don't mind dispatching guards that are in my way. With drop assassinations, some of my bone charms, blink, shadow kill abilities, it pains me to not take advantage of it all.

Tess3ract

Banned
So that's chapter 2? I get confused.

I'm not sure if it counts as good or bad (or plus or minus chaos) in the game. I wish I could just tell you that you get to decide whether or not it's a good thing.

The heart and I decided that enough illicit terror had been caused by the Bottle Street Gang and that Granny had the right idea after all.
Except what she wants you to do also murders several innocent families.

JohngPR

You probably know this but one of the coolest aspects of Sweetfx is that you can tweak stuff without exiting the game :D

I actually learned this while testing it...haha.

I figured out why I was getting so many hitches. It seems to be because I had Lumasharpen set to on. I turned it off and it runs the same as it does with the SMAA injector! Glad because I liked bumping up the color saturation. Not much, just enough that everything didn't seem so washed out.

Tess3ract

Banned
Does the game feature any sort of ambient occlusion ?

I think it lacks something to the graphics...

Yup, you can literally turn it on in the INI files

But one of the options I messed with fucks with nearby objects disappearing and I have to figure that out. It looks fucking great with AO but I somehow fucked up some OTHER shadow option, because NPCs don't cast their own shadows and I can't figure out why.

Duffyside

Banned
My initial impression is that there are way too many distractions in this world. Way too many books, notes, audiographs to click on. I hope it doesn't stay that way.

I've run into a glitch. I'm in the "House of Pleasure" mission
in the Doctors mansion. I found the clue for the for Slackjaw's missing man, but I can't leave. It freezes on the loading screen whenever I try to leave from either exit.
Has anyone experienced this or know how to fix it?

Tess3ract

Banned
It's so good in so many ways, but I just can't get comfortable with it. I feel like the dude is wearing clown shoes or something. The thing is, though, is that it feels like it's that way by design. The feeling of clamoring over every tiny ledge is supposed to be fun, but I find it annoying as hell. I feel like 10 years of playing Halo has conditioned me to smooth, simplified movement, and it's hard for me to adjust to other movement styles. I don't expect to feel like a super soldier in every video game, but I also don't want to constantly get caught on ledges. So... yeah, maybe this game isn't for me.

But it's the stealth system, too. I can never tell when I'm in a guard's range of vision or hearing. And experimenting isn't fun, because it feels so inconsistent and arbitrary. Combat is fun, but Corvo is pretty weak, and there's little room for mistakes. Which is cool, and challenging, and this is a stealth game after all... but it's also frustrating.

And some of the context sensitive commands are really inconsistent. I'll be in front of a ledge, press jump, but he won't climb up it. I'll be behind a guard, wait for the prompt to do a non lethal take down, but it never appears. Rage.

Oh, and I'm playing on Hard. I'm good at video games, damn it! I'm not used to Hard actually being hard, haha.

Yeah, I'm definitely a special case, it seems. :lol I got two hours before I need to leave for work, and I'm gonna keep playing...

Don't wait for the prompt, Just get up on the dude's rear and press the button to do a non-lethal takedown, and choke him out. I think the switch between nonlethal choke and holding him up is a little clunky, it should be automatic, but it's fine.

You tend to learn what guards can see through practice. if they just see your head but not your body, you're okay even if you're nearby. If you sneak up behind them anywhere from 4 o'clock to 8 o'clock (3-9 o'clock also seems to work okay), they don't see you at all. Range headon is about 40+ feet and they have no idea where you are. Dropping bodies in range of other npc alerts them (because they drop their swords which makes a noise!!), so you're better off knocking someone out and immediately carrying them off somewhere.

The ledges are a bit touchy yes, but it's not a huge deal. Some things you feel like you should be able to jump and grab, it's hard to, and other ones that look like they're obvious feel like they work better if you just Blinked up there instead.

The game really wants you to be sneaky.

mxgt

Banned
Killing people is just too much fun to ignore. <3 the rat swarm ability.

Don't want to jump the gun as I'm still on the third mission but this will probably be my GOTY if this quality holds up.

epmode

Don't wait for the prompt, Just get up on the dude's rear and press the button to do a non-lethal takedown, and choke him out. I think the switch between nonlethal choke and holding him up is a little clunky, it should be automatic, but it's fine.

I've found that you can blink behind people who are already alerted to your presence and you can still choke them if you're fast enough.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've found that you can blink behind people who are already alerted to your presence and you can still choke them if you're fast enough.

There are three level of "alertness," displayed with an icon of white squigglies. As long as they haven't reached level 3 (all squgglies filled in), they can still be choked.

aeolist

Banned
There are three level of "alertness," displayed with an icon of white squigglies. As long as they haven't reached level 3 (all squgglies filled in), they can still be choked.

I'd swear I've choked dudes who were coming at me fully alert with swords drawn by blinking behind

Salsa

Fuck it I'm giving up on quickloads. I'm relying too much on them and I've already been seen once in this playthrough so whatever, from now on what happens happens

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'd swear I've choked dudes who were coming at me fully alert with swords drawn by blinking behind
I was talking about when you're in a stealth/sneaking situation. I've only done that move once so far but I think breaking line of sight gives you a small window where you can choke them even if they were fully alert as they look around trying to figure out where you went.
Fuck it I'm giving up on quickloads. I'm relying too much on them and I've already been seen once in this playthrough so whatever, from now on what happens happens
My man. :D

Didn't like the avatar Ash made for ya?
hwKn3.png

Plasmid

Is it possible to replay missions with all the upgrades etc you get throughout the game or do replays put you with certain abilities?

Eusis

I'll do rapid loads in increments, but sometimes I just roll with it. Granted I still want to avoid KILLING, but if I just get spotted I can sometimes get away faster than they realize what's going on. One of the time I reloaded was less because they caught me and more because they accidentally killed one of their own in their zealous attempts to get me.

You mean
the people they are selling it to? Or is there something else coming that I'll hear about?

Hmm. Was there another way to complete that quest?

I already want to do a second playthrough because in the second mission,
you talk to Slackjaw and he's complaining about someone who turned his men into Weepers because of the plague in the distillery. I'd love to see the difference if you don't actually poison his water supply for Granny.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I already want to do a second playthrough because
in the second mission, you talk to Slackjaw and he's complaining about someone who turned his men into Weepers because of the plague in the distillery. I'd love to see the difference if you don't actually poison his water supply for Granny.
Well I'm a fucking moron for highlighting that, but jesus H. awesome.
Is there really no way to do non-lethal melee when you get caught? This is so frustrating.
Actually, we were just talking about this, and I need to play around with it, but with some masterful Blinking you actually might be able to.

Game is really, really good. I'm in the middle of a side quest in the first mission, and it's crazy how much of a Thief vibe I get. Currently sneaking through a manor knocking dudes out and looting the place.

I'm going for no alerts/no kills/no magic but blink on hard, which is probably a lot for a first playthrough, but damn it's fun.

Top Bottom