• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Just completed the first mission after 5 hours game time, got all the collectibles and did everything I could see.
Apparently got spotted though, so much for a Ghost run on my first time around. Ah well, I'm already planing at least another two playthroughs of this anyway.

I asked this earlier yesterday but didn't get an answer. Is the prison the prologue and does it count toward your no-kill/ghost score? Because...

Quick question: I played the first mission(prison escape) over and over and I always have one kill on my score even if I didn't kill anyone. First time through I managed to "ghost" but a kill always shows up or if I get a "no-kill" run I don't get rewarded for ghosting even if I didn't alert anyone. Is there a glitch in this intro mission?

I was playing it over and over trying to get no-kill/ghost and I'm playing on Hard.

Badgerst3

On the regular site? Are you sure or a filthy liar?

By the way I'm pretty sure neogaf.com automatically redirects you to the mobile version the first time you access it with an iPad so that's probably why it works for you?

Just discovered mobile neogaf and yes- iPad spoilers are tap able. Not so on regular site using an iPad, which I prefer for a few reasons. May need to toggle when I want to read spoilers. Thx for the help.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's substantially less taxing than BL2 (which itself is pretty decently optimized), but really, UE3 debuted in 2004, it shouldn't be hard for anybody to run at this point.

Soo, it's fun. Lots to do and explore. I started blinking onto rooftops, grinning like an idiot at the puny mortals below. For some reason I'm trying to do a non-lethal playthrough, but it's gonna be tough.

Game's ugly as sin on the 360, though. Really really ugly.

Derrick01

Banned
Soo, it's fun. Lots to do and explore. I started blinking onto rooftops, grinning like an idiot at the puny mortals below. For some reason I'm trying to do a non-lethal playthrough, but it's gonna be tough.

Game's ugly as sin on the 360, though. Really really ugly.

It's the price you pay to get these giant, intricate levels running on dying consoles.

I'm loving the game so far, the level design and art direction are both incredible, best i've seen in soooooo long. The stealth can feel a bit like first person splinter cell at times (which is lame to me), but it gets better as you unlock more powers.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It's substantially less taxing than BL2 (which itself is pretty decently optimized), but really, UE3 debuted in 2004, it shouldn't be hard for anybody to run at this point.

Agreed. It ran on my system which should "SHOULD" mean it would run on anyones. :D Well with standard modern specs to a reasonable level that is. Same for borderlands 2.

Operating System - MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU - AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition / Agena 65nm Technology

RAM - 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (5-5-5-18)

Motherboard - ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3A78-T (CPU 1)

Graphics - DELL 2407WFP (1920x1200@60Hz) / ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)

eyeless

i'm about to start the (fifth target spoiler)
lord regent mission at dunwall tower, considering he appears to be the ultimate goal target, should i expect that i am almost done the game, answering in a spoilery-way? like around what vague percentage of the game have i completed? basically should i be expecting it to end? about 10.5 hours of gameplay thus far btw.

Truant

Disappointed that the first mission obviously seems like what they wanted for the entire game, but couldn't do because of time. That mission is fucking huge, big area, lots of side-stuff. The other missions don't compare. Just started the party mission.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Why is this my first time hearing about this game? It looks great.

Bethesda/Zenimax did zero marketing for this game before release (Hunted and Wet got a better ads push than this) with almost zero media coverage from them and sites many people just like you got surprised when they heard about the high scores it got or read people impressions,Its my game of the year,hope word of mouth spreads,this game deserve to sell well.

I asked this earlier yesterday but didn't get an answer. Is the prison the prologue and does it count toward your no-kill/ghost score? Because...

I was playing it over and over trying to get no-kill/ghost and I'm playing on Hard.

The achievement specifically states that no, the prologue doesn't count.

Ghost (30)
"Complete all missions after the prologue, alerting or killing no one but the key targets"

Does 'Normal' difficulty provide a decent enough challenge? I generally like to go through every game on 'Normal' the first time, regardless of my proclivity with the genre, etc; I just don't want it to be a detractor in any way.

Man, after 80+ hours on Blands 2, I really need something a little less intense.

Salsa

Here. And below is the original sized image without downsampling.

Nice. Im using the same but I figured something was off with how sharp your game was looking compared to mine

it still looks really really good, and those compatibility bits work perfectly without breaking anything

Does 'Normal' difficulty provide a decent enough challenge? I generally like to go through every game on 'Normal' the first time, regardless of my proclivity with the genre, etc; I just don't want it to be a detractor in any way.

Man, after 80+ hours on Blands 2, I really need something a little less intense.

Normal is actually kinda hard depends on how your playstyle is.

neoism

WOOW lol

Mission 3 spoiler
I got alllll the way back to the boat
with the girl and didn't KILL anyone or be seen and I have to go back and kill... those 2 twins WTF :/
It took a long time the weed the
ladies from those two
:/

neoism

Eh why is there no way to kill two guys at once .... I am supposed to be an assassin.

Standing over these 2 guys but I only can kill one at a time, so the other yells for help. And like 6 guys run to his aid. So dumb man I hate game design like this sometimes.

Yeah I can wait for them to split off, or sneak around them I know. I just want to kill them both at once!

ok no spoilers lol... it took me 4 hours to choke everyone... at the boat now do I really have to kill them.. :/

Psi

ok no spoilers lol... it took me 4 hours to choke everyone... at the boat now do I really have to kill them.. :/

Not that I can answer that without some sort of spoilers but
did you do the sidequest from Slackjaw(think that was his name)? He gives you a nonlethal option to deal with them.

neoism

Not that I can answer that without some sort of spoilers but
did you do the sidequest from Slackjaw(think that was his name)? He gives you a nonlethal option to deal with them.

I got that note or what ever... and brought it back to him but he does hostle as soon as it message is over... :/ I didn't want to kill him so I load the save again and left.

Xander51

The Brightness adjustment thing on the Xbox version appears to be out of whack/broken. First, if I use it at the title screen the little symbols appear darker than they do in the game, and so I think the game runs at a higher gamma setting than the title screen. Secondly, if I actually follow the guidelines in either case, the image is way too washed out, with gray blacks and texture artifacts everywhere.

Playing the PC version of Dishonored on this same monitor and setup it does not appear to have the same issue. I found the Xbox version looks best for me about 12 ticks from the left hand side of the bar. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Aside from this weirdness it's a beautiful game even on the console.

Wiggum2007

Disappointed that the first mission obviously seems like what they wanted for the entire game, but couldn't do because of time. That mission is fucking huge, big area, lots of side-stuff. The other missions don't compare. Just started the party mission.

Ouch, don't like the sound of this.

1stStrike

Banned
So, i just beat the game on normal - first play through. Took me 9 hours to do it, which isn't bad. That was taking my time reading all the books I came across and searching out secrets - there were only a few that I missed in the end just because I was getting lazy since I didn't really have any use for more gold or powers as I was doing a stealthy run. I'm going to spoiler the below section - it'll have some general comments about the game and what I think about the story, so don't highlight unless you don't care about spoilers.

The majority of the powers and weapons you won't have any use for if you aren't out to kill people, so by the end of the game you'll pretty much have a surplus of everything. I was a bit disappointed in that and I really felt like people that go with the non-violent play through get the shaft. There's more ways to take out someone than with sleeping crossbow bolts and by choking them out. Some additional options like concussion grenades, or even some physical abilities you could perform with the knife in your right hand sheathed... which is another opportunity they missed out on, as it's really annoying being stuck with that knife all game when you're not going to use it.

As for the story, it started out fairly generic and didn't really surprise me throughout the game. You're a guard for the empress, she's assassinated, you're framed and then you're broken out of prison and have to restore the princess to power. The guys "helping" you backstab you in the end and poison you, so you have to then go and exact revenge and save the princess for the second time.

Nothing new or amazing there, so I can't say that the story will really be memorable. I really wish they'd come up with a bit of a more unique story and threw in some plot twists. The only thing that surprised me in the game was when I was in one of the later chapters trying to make my way back to the Hound Pub and a train car stops above me, opens up and then dumps a bunch of bodies into the pit where I was standing. I just didn't expect that, so good job there.

The ending was nothing special, and they did leave it fairly open ended so that I could see DLC working in fairly easily. Much like Bioshock, however, after all of that the ending was extremely abbreviated and I felt myself left wanting for more. There was really no final "boss" fight, no real conclusion to bring things to a climax and so when the game ended and went to the credits I had mostly an indifferent feeling.

Towards the end of the game the missions did become shorter with less "wow" factor than early game. You had fewer and fewer sidequests and typically there was much less to do/find/see than in the beginning. The final level was incredibly short and they make the lighthouse pretty linear with only two ways up that I found (one involves blinking up the beams while the other is the standard up the staircase). Really wish they had added more content and made the final level as complicated and interesting as the first level.

Now, the gameplay itself was fantastic - the game had very few glitches/bugs, everything flowed very well together and combat felt great. All of the powers worked well together and I really enjoyed blinking. Like others have said, blink does become overpowered though as you can basically blink eternally since you regen enough mana back so as to avoid having to use mana potions. I found that traversing maps in ways that may not have been intended was fun, though, and there's a certain charm about blinking behind a guard, choking him out, blinking to a dark corner and then dumping his body before going on your marry way with nobody else the wiser.

With that being said, I give the game a personal rating of 8/10. Very fun, has replayability, story is passable (but not memorable), and the weapons and powers all mesh well together to create an interesting and intricate combat system. With a bit of polish and some more money thrown at it I could see a Dishonored 2 being very viable and very fun.

WOOW lol

Mission 3 spoiler
I got alllll the way back to the boat
with the girl and didn't KILL anyone or be seen and I have to go back and kill... those 2 twins WTF :/
It took a long time the weed the
ladies from those two
:/

There is a way to dispatch them without killing them! Just an FYI. ;)

neoism

ibb5mdU67EpStP.jpg
:(

mass murder from now on lol

Plasmid

Alright, i just finished the game as a lethal run on normal, lets get to the non spoiler first.
  1. This game runs so smooth, i have never played a stealth / assassin game i've enjoyed more. It had a HUGE bioshock feel to it and i am a HUGE bioshock fan.
  2. Arkane and Bethesda did very well with this game, the graphics, the mood, the atmosphere so GOOD.
  3. The gameplay was excellent, i am going to play this a few times.
  4. LENA HADLEY AND CARRIE FISHER? oh my i didn't even know they were in this until seeing the credits.

As for end game spoilers, i played a lethal run,
i killed most people and did stealth at the same time, the story was great, my actions decided whether Emily would be a brutal empress or not, and i was even so inclined to be brutal when Samuel told me i was a bad person that i slit his throat as he boated away.

As for end game scenarios, you do NOT have to save emily, i did both, but my second reload it just showed the plague taking over with some commentary by the outsider.

e:

Kind of annoyed i can't replay any of the missions with my current powers.

Lizardus

Man this game is awesome. Big fan of stealth gaming and this is just perfect.

Anyway, a question

I branded the overseer and saved curnow and found all things in the back yard like runes and bone charms. However, I seem to have missed a bone charm in the area just past the second wall of light and before the overseer compound. Is there any way i can go get that from the backyard or will i have to backtrack?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Mission 2 -
one of the weepers fell into the water when I shot him with a sleep dart. Does that count as a kill? :(

Top Bottom