• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

qindarka

Banned
Wait, the cast sung the songs this time? I always thought they have a separate voice actors for singers, as in the case since Aladdin.

Nope. Voice actors do their own singing pretty often, actually. I'll list some of the exceptions I can think of:

Aladdin - Scott Weigner/Brad Kane
Jasmine - Linda Larkin/Lea Salonga
Pocahontas - Irene Bedard/Judy Kuhn
Powhattan - Russell Means/Jim Cummings
Mulan - Ming-Na/Lea Salonga

Hercules and Shang also had different singing voices. Other than that, it's pretty much all the voice actors doing it, as was the case with Frog, Tangled and Frozen.

meow

Saw this yesterday with my sister! She's 12 and has proclaimed this her favorite movie ever (though she tends to say that after a lot of movies).

I thought it was great, slightly better than Tangled for me. Let It Go sequence was, as expected, gorgeous, but I think I actually liked First Time in Forever better. Also I teared up at Do You Want to Build a Snowman.

The only thing I didn't really like was
Hans going evil. I can see where you could guess it would happen but...it seemed much too forced for me.

Saw this yesterday with my sister! She's 12 and has proclaimed this her favorite movie ever (though she tends to say that after a lot of movies).

I thought it was great, slightly better than Tangled for me. Let It Go sequence was, as expected, gorgeous, but I think I actually liked First Time in Forever better. Also I teared up at Do You Want to Build a Snowman.

The only thing I didn't really like was
Hans going evil. I can see where you could guess it would happen but...it seemed much too forced for me.

It was weird how
Hans turns, and then just locks Anna in the room there. I mean, yes, she's freezing, but surprised he didn't just kill her then and there.

meow

It was weird how
Hans turns, and then just locks Anna in the room there. I mean, yes, she's freezing, but surprised he didn't just kill her then and there.

Well yeah,
plus he had other chances to off Elsa also, like in her ice castle but he actually saves her there, plus he goes after Anna in the first place. Was it really only after the one dude commented that if both sisters were gone he'd be in charge?
That part just didn't work for me.

Well yeah,
plus he had other chances to off Elsa also, like in her ice castle but he actually saves her there, plus he goes after Anna in the first place. Was it really only after the one dude commented that if both sisters were gone he'd be in charge?
That part just didn't work for me.

I understand keeping Elsa alive longer and not killing her in the castle, as he wanted to set up the plot of Elsa being the one that "killed" Anna. Although yeah, If he was gonna eventually cut Elsa down at the end, surprised he didn't just end Anna then and there.

Cat Party

It was weird how
He had to be sure she died from Elsa's magic. And they don't really do strangulation in Disney movies. Also, he couldn't kill Elsa in the palace because he hadn't married Anna yet, so he needed to find out what happened to Anna.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just got back from seeing this. Loved it, one of the best Disney films in ages. My favorite joke was definitely
Cristof's sled exploding after it falls off the cliff

Also the soundtrack was really reminiscent of Hercules for some reason. I walked out of the theater humming I Can Go the Distance

Just got back from seeing this. Loved it, one of the best Disney films in ages. My favorite joke was definitely
Cristof's sled exploding after it falls off the cliff

Also the soundtrack was really reminiscent of Hercules for some reason. I walked out of the theater humming I Can Go the Distance

Yeah, that was a great moment. lol and
and the end with Sven modeling in front of the new sled. haha

Lijik

Problem was the Trolls ultimately served no significant roll in the story and were there to do a song.

I feel like they could have replaced Olaf with a troll to give that side of the story more presence (granted I also disagree with some posters that Olaf is particularly significant so theres that)

I just watched this a yesterday.

Mickey short:
From a technical and visual stand point. I thought it was fantastic. But when it came to story presentation, it just failed. Maybe I'm being too harsh and have been spoiled by Pixar shorts.

Its a Mickey Mouse short, it doesnt need to be a Pixar short story that tries to be emotive, it needs to have gags and funny situtations like the original, and the short gave them in spades, and best of all, use them in a very intelligent way.

Crossposting from MovieGAF.
Frozen (2013)

I spent roughly a third of the runtime rolling my eyes. Tangled is a goddamn masterpiece in comparison. Extremely forced drama, vapid characters, shit pacing, no subtlety, self-awareness despite going (mostly) through the motions, etc.
It looks like I'm in the minority for this film. I could tone down the hyperbole, but I truly think there are serious pacing issues that hamper everything but the humor. Disney needs to let go of ~90 minute run times.

Crossposting from MovieGAF.

It looks like I'm in the minority for this film. I could tone down the hyperbole, but I truly think there are serious pacing issues that hamper everything but the humor.

You're in the minority, but definitely not alone.

It was a disappointment.

Christopher

What the fuck is up with this forum and the word hyperbole lately I guess it's this months buzz word.

I would have loved to see this hand drawn the blue colors and snow would have been beautiful

Just got back and yep, it's great. Just as good as Tangled and Ralph in my book. Disney has just been killing it lately. Easily putting out the best animated feature films.

Raxus

You're in the minority, but definitely not alone.

It was a disappointment.

Agreed. Tons of elements were in place to move this up a notch and some of the songs (IMO) were good like Let It Go. Christoph and the sisterly bond were woefully underdeveloped sadly in a movie that really
needed no villain
. Still it is a movie anyone can show their kids and enjoy it just needed something a little more personal for the adults to connect to. As it stands it is kind of all over the place.

v1lla21

Its a Mickey Mouse short, it doesnt need to be a Pixar short story that tries to be emotive, it needs to have gags and funny situtations like the original, and the short gave them in spades, and best of all, use them in a very intelligent way.

I think it dragged on for a bit, but it was enjoyable short. Not the best nor the worst but it was alright.

Agreed. Tons of elements were in place to move this up a notch and some of the songs (IMO) were good like Let It Go. Christoph and the sisterly bond were woefully underdeveloped sadly in a movie that really
needed no villain
. Still it is a movie anyone can show their kids and enjoy it just needed something a little more personal for the adults to connect to. As it stands it is kind of all over the place.

It felt like all of the individual elements in Frozen were at odds with each other, constantly fighting for relevance and screen time. It resulted in a lot of stuff - the trolls most notably - feeling completely out of place.

And ultimately, the core of the story - the relationship between Anna and Elsa - falls flat because they interact so little in the film and have such a limited history. They don't really know each other at all, and the film never lets them get to know each other.

Tangled, on the other hand, felt much more harmonious. Rapunzel's quest for independence and Flynn's journey of redemption complement each other brilliantly.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
They served a very significant role, but were completely forgotten before and after their scenes.
THANK YOU!!! I was looking Foreway to sum it up in this does it perfectly.

Had the troll scene been done more in the tone of the rest of the movie it would've been much more effective. As it is it doesn't hold up and thus is quickly forgotten.
And ultimately, the core of the story - the relationship between Anna and Elsa - falls flat because they interact so little in the film and have such a limited history. They don't really know each other at all, and the film never lets them get to know each other.
Ummm. They only spent like two entire songs going over the fact that they were best friends. Not to mention when doing the memories thing you see all of Anna's memories are of the two of them. That's kind of the entire point of the movie. That they were like you are saying and then it was all taken away from them. To have them interact more during the movie wouldn't have really made sense. "Ooh we didn't talk for like 15 years but now we have time to hash things out". It was one of the defining points of Elsa's character. That to protect her sister she had to isolate herself.

What the fuck is up with this forum and the word hyperbole lately I guess it's this months buzz word.
Hyperbole has been a thing on GAF since the Hyperbole Police arrested Amir0x.
Ummm. They only spent like two entire songs going over the fact that they were best friends. Not to mention when doing the memories thing you see all of Anna's memories are of the two of them. That's kind of the entire point of the movie. That they were like you are saying and then it was all taken away from them. To have them interact more during the movie wouldn't have really made sense. "Ooh we didn't talk for like 15 years but now we have time to hash things out". It was one of the defining points of Elsa's character. That to protect her sister she had to isolate herself.
The narrative spends more time telling us to care about their relationship rather than showing us.

To add to my point, I wish the film had taken a more complex approach to the issues that would inevitably arise from such a prolonged isolation - namely issues of mistrust and suspicion. The film was begging for a bit of conflict. I'm not saying you make Elsa and Anna adversaries, but they could have at least made their relationship a bit more complicated and not so reliant on blind sacrifice.

bon

Mickey short: A+
Clever and very well animated

Movie: B+
Better than Tangled but some stuff felt a bit underdeveloped. I wish Elsa got more screen time. Still had some beautiful animation and was a fun ride.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahh yeah the trolls.

Makes you wonder where Kristoff and Sven live prior to meeting them when they were kids.

Nope. Voice actors do their own singing pretty often, actually. I'll list some of the exceptions I can think of:

Aladdin - Scott Weigner/Brad Kane
Jasmine - Linda Larkin/Lea Salonga
Pocahontas - Irene Bedard/Judy Kuhn
Powhattan - Russell Means/Jim Cummings
Mulan - Ming-Na/Lea Salonga

Hercules and Shang also had different singing voices. Other than that, it's pretty much all the voice actors doing it, as was the case with Frog, Tangled and Frozen.

So it's more of an exception than norm eh? Also Scar was halfway sung by Jim Cummings in Be Prepared.

Emwitus

Just saw it. I think all the hype might have killed it for me. Tangled is still the better movie but this one is funnier if that makes any sense. I was waiting for that memorable song but Nothing. Victim of the hype i suppose.

For me this film had better characters, but Tangled had a more solid story.

Omg, it wasn't just me

EDIT: And tangled had the better songs too.

I saw this today.

And what a wonderful, wonderful surprise it was.

The reviews that say it could have well been a Disney Renaissance film were on point.

The reviews are 3 years late.

More musical than I thought it'd be going in mostly blind, but welcome for the most part. Agreed on some things feeling out of place but pretty movie with more laughs than I thought there'd be and a great soundtrack. Was able to pinpoint the height of the movie pretty early on but I don't think it's supposed to surprise with its twists and turns, haha.

Bolt onward has been good to great for WDAS -- a return to form and then some in a couple of cases for me. Awesome stuff.

Olaf was great as well. Can't remember the last side character in an animated flick that was bad -- but I tend to only watch the quality ones anyway so mitigating risk there I guess.

Just below Ralph for me. Disney has been smacking Pixar around for a couple years now.

It doesn't come out till Christmas here in Aus.

You guys are joking that it's better than Tangled though, right? I mean, I know the trailers have been misrepresenting the film and all, but I need to hear this from somebody that watched Tangled recently and isn't just high on having just gotten out of the theatre with Frozen.

qindarka

Banned

You guys are joking that it's better than Tangled though, right? I mean, I know the trailers have been misrepresenting the film and all, but I need to hear this from somebody that watched Tangled recently and isn't just high on having just gotten out of the theatre with Frozen.

Film seems to be a little more divisive than Tangled was.

To be honest, I'm getting a little worried.

And I'm in Australia as well. These long waits are sickening.

Boss Doggie

It's a princess movie with lots of twists that work in a sense.

It's sorta like Enchanted.

Chris FOM

I have a 3-year-old. I have Tangled memorized start-to-finish. I like Tangled quite a bit (especially the back half). And Frozen is better. Not completely, 100%, no exceptions better. There are definitely places where Tangled is the superior movie. But overall I think Frozen wins out and by a good margin.

Emwitus

The movie is so all over the place. Tangled is definitely the more cohesive story and has more heart. This one is funnier and characters are better as someone said but tangled is the better movie and has the more memorable song.

Best late 90s Disney movie wasn't even a Disney movie. And it was better than anything Disney's ever done.

MRkfD4Fl.jpg

Just for this, i forgive your hate for man of steel .

EDIT: Controversial opinion. Frozen/tangled>>>Anything pixar has done except for Incredibles.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Whoever said this movie didn't need a villain is spot on. If Disney really wanted to subvert things, that would have been a great route to go down.

Tangled was much better put together. Frozen has many good things about it, but they don't come together as well. I think overall Tangles had better songs. I think song for song, Frozen had the best Song, But I don't think the bad Songs in Frozen were as "bad" as the worst Tangled Songs (which honestly, were all pretty good).

Characters were a bit better in Frozen.

Elsa > Rapunzel > Anna

Kristoff > Flynn > Hans

Maximus > Sven > Pascal = Olaf

Gothel >>>>>>>>>>>> Frozen Antagonist

I loved Anna's character. She is very selfless, courageous and optimistic (but not in an annoying everything is sunshiny way).

I also dig her characters weirdness.

Boss Doggie

I dunno, Flynn "I am totally the son of Miguel and Tulio" feels a much better character than Kristoff.

So, I saw the movie for a second time tonight, this time in 3D.

This time, I took to the soundtrack a little kinder. "Do you wanna build a Snowman" was better for me. "For the First Time in Forever" was far more enjoyable too, did more for Anna's character for me. Perhaps with all the negative things I heard before it made me brush it off a bit, but I definitely loved the music more this time.

Oh, and the Real 3D sucked. I know there's a couple different movie theatre versions of 3D, the other is IMAX 3D I believe? I wish I had seen that, the Real 3D was meh at best. When the snow got Heavy, it looked alright, and Let it Go was alright, but otherwise was totally unimpressed.

As for the rest of the movie? Loved it even more. Can't wait to own this on Blu-Ray sometime next year :D

Christopher

We are truly living in the modern Disney renaissance:

61ziATjH%2BKL._AA160_.jpg
61euyU4feZL._AA160_.jpg
6194D-hiQtL._AA160_.jpg
51ZBNq5EHOL._AA160_.jpg
51yBTeiQi2L._AA160_.jpg
51SeZqNEJhL._AA160_.jpg
51WxUbUA9wL._AA160_.jpg

While maybe not as groundbreaking as some of those films were in the 90's we have a consistent stream of good quality movies. I have loved all the movies released from Disney when the Princess and the Frog assured in a new line of quality Disney again.

Boss Doggie

Eh I wouldn't put Princess and the Frog and Brave there. Hell maybe even MU if you wanna be finicky.

And what a travesty that you seem to focus starting there when they have been good since Bolt. And you include Pixar when they're considered a different studio :p

Top Bottom