• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

I probably should rewatch Hunchback. It and Pocahontas are the only 90s Disney films I haven't seen in forever.

Oh, and Rescuers Down Under. But. I mean.
Rescuers Down Under is pretty fantastic actually, I rank it in the upper range of 90s Disney. It's certainly a big improvement over the original, which fell into the trap of centering the entire film around one event which means only about ten minutes of the movie is actually interesting.

The Mickey short at the beginning was fantastic, and set the stage for a great feature immediately after. It was a great package, much like Wreck it Ralph with paperman.
I thought it was cute when Pixar tried the same thing with the Monsters U short (and failed). The students have surpassed the master... or something?

kaiju

Took my 5 yr old daughter to see this today. She loved it. Olaf is the best new Disney character in ages. Just adorbs.

Olaf-frozen-35481520-375-319.gif

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I thought it was cute when Pixar tried the same thing with the Monsters U short (and failed). The students have surpassed the master... or something?

John Lasseter is head of Disney animation now. He overlooked both paperman and the new Mickey effort. Definitely shows.

I hope everyone that's already seen the movie is staying for the scene that plays after the credits end. It’s a pretty cute little scene. If you missed it its:

Marshmallow angrily walking in the deserted ice palace and stepping on Elsa’s crown and then putting it on his head making him give off a huge grin.

Leeness

I hope everyone that's already seen the movie is staying for the scene that plays after the credits end. It’s a pretty cute little scene. If you missed it its:

Marshmallow angrily walking in the deserted ice palace and stepping on Elsa’s crown and then putting it on his head making him give off a huge grin.

Loooooool yes I loved that.

~so beautiful~

Christopher

The gushing for late 90s Disney here is odd.. Did you guys grow up on it or something? It always came off to me as lots of great copying of the early 90s hits but with no heart behind any of it.

I do agree that the musical numbers were unevenly paced. I mean they didn't even have a closing song. It didn't bother me but it was noticeable.

Tarzan, Hercules, and Mulan were solid films dude...may not be master pieces but definitely made Disney's legacy stronger.

Camjo-Z

I was kind of disappointed in the movie for various reasons but the Mickey short more than made up for it. Worth the price of the ticket alone IMO.

RoyalFool

Banned
Just got back from an early showing here in the UK.

Great film, but it's iffy pacing stops it from being able to match Tangled. The introduction felt slightly too long for the rather basic setup it was trying to get across and yet the ending was completely rushed. It reminded me slightly of inception which had that "everything went better than expected" ending to make the audience feel uneasy and wonder if that was set in reality or not. It could almost have been a parody of the Disney happy ending trope if it wasn't so po-faced serious during it.

The "you all saw it coming anyway" twist towards the end was pointless and served no purpose, somebody at Disney clearly got a bit twitchy about breaking too many conventions and shoe-horned it in. Seeing as it had done such a good job of breaking some other conventions I was pretty optimistic they would double bluff it, alas no.

A couple of things they should really have spent more time explaining:

Why was he raised by Troll's when he was working with other men during the intro?

"Love is the answer" - needs citation, made no sense considering all the pain and self inflicted isolation was out of love

The music was awesome, I think Tangled was more consistent and catchy but a few of the tracks in Frozen are just incredible and really hit their mark. They did almost ruin my favorite one by putting an annoying dreamworks smirk right at the end of it - you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it, but that's just me being petty. The deluxe soundtrack supposedly has early versions of a lot of the tracks so can't wait to hear those. I looked around the (packed) cinema everytime a song started and all the Dad's were clearly thinking "Fuck yes another song!" which is no small feat.

Animation is solid, I felt it was a step backwards from Tangled aesthetically due to the lack of variety and color - I recall Pixar shifting the entire setting for Brave quite late in the pre-production due to a similar problem with snow being, well a bit boring after a while - and I can kind of understand why. I really liked the character design, they clearly tried to steer the girls clear from the "typical Disney princess" look by slanting the eyes slightly which must have made it a nightmare to animate, another problem historically is that Disney make a lot of the female characters look very similar due to their rather fixed concept of "beauty" and get away with it by only having one central princess - so having two characters on screen often having to express the same emotion clearly resulted in them having to find more variety of female expressions which resulted in them having more personality (visually) than your usual Disney princess.

Olaf, as most of the other reviews have said kind of steals the show by being fucking awesome and adorable despite the trailer making him appear like Jar Jar Bink's 2. He also completely makes sense to the plot of the film, and isn't just there to sell christmas toys as I originally expected (sorry Disney, but Cars 2 - come on, you can't blame me).

I'm learning to trust Disney Animation in spite of their inability to cut a good trailer.

My daughter loved this film, and my wife and I felt like it was getting pretty close to the Disney magic that we grew up with.

grrrrrr not reading anything but just seeing the thread go up in post is awesome!

ONLY 11 more days and then no more media black out necessary.

Shadow help me out here :p

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Tarzan, Hercules, and Mulan were solid films dude...may not be master pieces but definitely made Disney's legacy stronger.
Actually do not like Hercules at all. Mulan was good, Tarzan was ok, but both IMHO would have worked better had they not been musical, which they weren't really musicals to begin with. More like action movies with musical montages. You could tell Disney was largely abandoning broadway musicals from Hercules up until Princess and the Frog.

Necrovex

I just got back from seeing this, and I loved it more than Tangled. I thought the pacing was perfect, the musical cues were astounding, the storytelling and character development. There was nothing about this film that I did not adore. Olaf was also a groovy character and does not overstay his welcome.

Disney Animation has been destroying Pixar over these past couple of years, and I can say Frozen outranks any Pixar film.

This may be my favorite film of the year. Let's see how Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle, and Madoka Magica: Reblellon turn out.

So good.

Symphonic

I just got back from seeing this, and I loved it more than Tangled. I thought the pacing was perfect, the musical cues were astounding, the storytelling and character development. There was nothing about this film that I did not adore. Olaf was also a groovy character and does not overstay his welcome.

Disney Animation has been destroying Pixar over these past couple of years, and I can say Frozen outranks any Pixar film.

This may be my favorite film of the year. Let's see how Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle, and Madoka Magica: Reblellon turn out.

So good.

They're different breeds at this point. It's pretty obvious that Pixar and Disney are trying to do different things.

Also The Incredibles is the greatest 3D animated film of all time soooo

Necrovex

They're different breeds at this point. It's pretty obvious that Pixar and Disney are trying to do different things.

Also The Incredibles is the greatest 3D animated film of all time soooo

Incredible is a fantastic film
but it is *slightly* overrated.

I have also disliked Pixar's direction over the past couple of years.

Oh my lord, listening to the OST on Spotify, and it is so bloody great. I should try and make myself a Disney friend, so I can gush about Disney Animation.

marrec

Banned
Just saw the movie and while I kind of expected it to be good, I didn't know the soundtrack was going to be utterly astonishing. Best musical I've seen in quite some time.

Symphonic

Incredible is a fantastic film
but it is *slightly* overrated.

I have also disliked Pixar's direction over the past couple of years.

Oh my lord, listening to the OST on Spotify, and it is so bloody great. I should try and make myself a Disney friend, so I can gush about Disney Animation.

The songs are great. Score is a little empty with some memorable tracks, but that's about what I expected from Beck. Fjellheim's track is incredible obviously.

Saw this 2 days ago. I really enjoyed it, although I did find the movie a bit uhh forced? at times.

And Olaf is totally not as unfunny as the trailers make him out to be. And the story is a lot more complex than the story trailer make it out to be either.

Drago

How necessary is it seeing this in 3D? Don't think I'll be making a 3D showing tonight, but I'll probably want to see it again.

I saw it in 3D. While it definitely adds a great sense of depth to the movie, I wouldn't call it necessary or anything.

The short preceding the movie, however, I HIGHLY recommend seeing in 3D. Added a lot to the short. It was great!!

netguy503

Loooooool yes I loved that.

~so beautiful~

Also
putting on the crown makes the ice on his arms melt. That made the scene for me.

Also, this movie made me REALLY want a Wicked movie. Disney, why do you toy with me so? The plots are so similar. :/

I'm learning to trust Disney Animation in spite of their inability to cut a good trailer.

My daughter loved this film, and my wife and I felt like it was getting pretty close to the Disney magic that we grew up with.

On the one hand, I agree the trailer's do a poor job at showing us what kind of film it is.

On the other hand, it's already made $50 mil domestically, so they're not exactly getting a reason to cut it any other way.

I kinda wonder if it's intentional: pander to children with the comedic trailers, and trust older fans to check out early reviews and online articles.

Just came from it.
MAGNIFICENT short.
FANTASTIC movie.

The Mickey short was just amazing, I knew the
meta thing
they were going for when I saw one of the facebook images some months ago, but it still felt surprising and special. Lol at Minnie having more personality here that in the majority of his career. What a blast, and I feel terrible not having watched it in 3D, maybe I do a repeat. Some of the
meta jokes
done reminded me a lot of some of the jokes we already have in our game, Fleish and Cherry in Crazy Hotel. I hope no one thinks we copied the jokes of it lol.

And the movie, goddamn. Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Ralph, and now Frozen, what a homerun is Disney going for. Third golden animation age here we go!
All the characters ooze charm, even the background characters have a lot of charisma thanks to their design that felt really like a 2D animated movie. But the main cast is amazing, quirky and fun. And Elsa and Anna... damn. I remember hating their designs in the first posters, and I totally love them now, simply gorgeous.
Dat Elsa transformation
And what to add about Olaf, possibly the thing that was making me and my friends afraid of going to watch this movie. It was horrible in that first trailer we all remember, and then comes the movie... A perfect 180 for his character, one of the best in the movie, and even one of the best funny companions a Disney movie ever had. All my group, about 12 people, where rolling in laughter, and the whole cinema, lots of kids in it, were the same. There are scenes where he is absolutely perfect, like the rocks scene.

And something that does the movie best is reverse Disney tropes during the whole movie left and right.

The songs are really good, and they reminded me of MLP FiM (in a good way) but I didnt feel there was a good variety of them. Maybe the problem is that you had 3 Anna/Elsa songs together and in a short amount of time. Felt a little bit like if I was watching Wicked. The songs were really good, but I think a faster variation (Aladdin/Hercules/Beauty and the Beast/Lion King type variation) would have been more welcomed.
I didnt like that they were too few in Tangled, but I think they went too much the opposite direction with this one on the other hand. In fact I think the perfect balance they got right in modern Disney was with Princess and the Frog.

Still, I cant wait for the next Disney Animated movie. Long live the animation King!

I never thought of it, but Hades looks like his doing a New Doctor Who regeneration here lol
Now im even more in love with this movie now, if thats even possible.

The_10th_doctor_s_regeneration_by_infintyriku-d4i6yve.gif

borghe

Saw it a second time today (took my daughter).

I know it was controversial earlier when I said the Let It Go set piece was the best since Beauty and the Beast's ballroom dancing scene, but with a second pass I stand behind that opinion. Yes it's belty, but with Idina Menzel what else are you going to give her? :D Seriously though she also has some restraint in there like the first chorus. But the whole sequence is magical. It's in that moment that you totally feel for Elsa and kind of feel the happiness and excitement she feels, to be free but also discovery. The music is so absolutely perfect with it that I can picture it frame for frame while listening to it.

The trolls aren't as bad the second time... The worst that can be said for them is that they are out of place with the rest of the movie.

I do stand corrected on the unevenness of the song pacing. The first three songs ARE very packed. But...... You are given two incredible songs in there and beyond that there are songs up through the trolls which is over halfway.

And in the songs being average. All I'll say is that First Time in Forever, Do You Wanna Build A Snowman, Summer Song and Let It Go are all anything but average. Love is an Open Door and Frozen Heart yeah. The troll song is pretty Dreamworks-ish. But those 4 above are classic disney all the way.

Looks like Frozen will also beat Harry Potter for biggest opening thanksgiving weekend. Which also means it will beat Tangled considerably. I don't think that's a knock on Tangled. If anything I think it is a perfect example of the good will Disney has built up the last few years INCLUDING Tangled and WIR.

Necrovex

I didn't have any problems with the trolls. In a world where magic exists, I didn't think they were out of place at all.

Just saw the movie!

Wow!!! My expectations were high, and they were blown away. Movie was great, Olaf wasn't annoying at all, actually pretty funny. "Let it go" Was amazing, and up there with some of the better songs, gave me chills hearing it for the first time. The other songs were mostly meh, but the first song with Anna and Hans was pretty good too.

The color was nice amongst all the white. Sven was pretty awesome as well. Gonna go see this again Monday I think in 3D this time :D

Too hard to compare with Tangled, as I enjoyed both tremendously. Love Anna though <3

borghe

Problem was the Trolls ultimately served no significant roll in the story and were there to do a song.
They were meant to be a poor man's "something that wasn't there before" while at the same time setting up the dire situation. Both of those were necessary. What wasn't necessary was basically an entire scene from a much lesser dreamworks movie. I think the most disappointing thing with that is no one is complaining about their first appearance in the movie, just the second. Had the second been more mysticism and reverence like the first (and a different song) they probably could have kept the tone of the movie and contributed positively.

But mostly it's just nitpicking what comes down to a single song number in the movie. Hardly a big deal.

Necrovex

Problem was the Trolls ultimately served no significant roll in the story and were there to do a song.

Oh, I wasn't bothered by that fact. The troll served a big enough purpose delivering their song, the necessary exposition, and had an effect on Kristoff's growth (i.e.
since they adopted him, which affected his personality and his indifference towards most people).

I think I'll end up buying the soundtrack anyway. While it wasn't my favorite, it was still enjoyable.

Now to see if any stores have the Frozen character set left in Disney Infinity :D

Moonlight

Banned
I feel like I'm the only one who didn't actually like the opening short. I knew what they were going for, and I can't deny that it was technically gorgeous (and recognized it as the oblique farewall to 'old school Disney' that it was), but it just felt like it was wearing out its' welcome. Felt two or three minutes too long.

Really liked the film, all in all. Elsa is a fantastic character in particular, and couldn't help but really appreciate how it turned a lot of Disney storytelling tropes on their ear. I think the introduction was sort of bloated, but I didn't hold too many problems with pacing after that.

Oh, and the movie is just beautiful. No two ways about it. All the stuff they do with ice is just phenomenal.
Putting aside the obvious example of Elsa building her castle, I really liked that moment where she accidentally freezes over the fountain for the first time

I'm not sure how I feel about the soundtrack. Did I really like it? Yeah. I did. Enough to buy a copy of it. But there's something about the way the songs sound that don't evoke 'Disney musical' so much as just 'a musical'. It's not so much a bad thing, but I dunno, it's hard for me to pick up on the same spark that generally attracts me to Disney songs.

Oddly enough, while Let It Go is clearly supposed to be the keystone piece (and the particular sequence it's married to is undeniably gorgeous) of the movie, I actually think For The First Time In Forever was my favourite song in the movie. It was just clever and warm, and out of all the others, and the structure felt most familiar to me as a 'Disney song'.

Musically speaking, the only thing I really wanted and didn't get was a good reprise. I wasn't really satisfied by the reprise of
For The First Time In Forever
, and it nags at me how Fixer Upper is the last song in the movie. I was just listening to the album, actually, and I was just thinking how Do You Want To Build A Snowman could have made for a pretty great reprise.

Top Bottom