• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

Leeness

Listening to the deleted songs, I've noticed that
there was an Elsa song while she was locked in the dungeons. Been thinking that it may not have been such a good idea to cut that out. Noticed a few complaints that the songs dry up in the second half and the comedic Fixer Upper is an odd choice for a final song.

What's that song called? I'm just skimming through the outtakes on disc 2 and I'm either missing it or not seeing it.

Leeness

It's the reprise of Life's Too Short.

Haha just found it.

And yeah, could have used that. Except they didn't have the original Life's Too Short. It's got Do You Want to Build a Snowman? tune in it though, so they could have worked it as a reprise to that ("do I want to build a snowman? I do...") lol.

Could have used it and even kept Fixer Upper in there if they must. It's only an extra minute. Haha.

Batman – I just watched a ton of other videos where Tommy meets Disney characters. Amazing!

EDIT: I just found out he has autism. As a cousin with autism I find his videos so inspirational......

So glad you enjoyed them! I really love his ongoing flirts with Anastasia. How they see him during the parade and wave, just so cool! Same with Aladdin and Jasmine that took a liking to him too. Great inspirational stuff without a doubt.

Mugiwara

Neo Member
Watched this today and thought it was great.

From Tangled to Wreck-It-Ralph and now Frozen, Disney Animation has really been putting out solid films

UrbanRats

Haven't seen it yet, gonna wait til next week when school is back in session. One of my favorite critics Tim Brayton gave it a B+. He's a huge Disney animated fan, he did a stupidly in-depth retrospective of every single Disney feature film not too long ago. He's recently worked through all the shitty straight-to-DVD Disney sequels as well. He quickly did away with with "BEST DISNEY MOVIE IN 20 YEARS" hyperbole, but he did seem to really enjoy it.

Damn, man, for all the (mostly deserved) shit Pocahontas gets, Colors of the wind was a great song and Pocahontas herself is drawn beautifully by Keane.
ibzQuwxxs34o4T.jpg
ibojV2q1123tru.png

ibu3NiTO56Frwq.jpg
iKeulvf4JbtHr.jpg
Probably one of my favorite character's design of theirs, along with Tarzan.

She was a pretty big inspiration for my drawings, growing up.
Unfortunately the rest of the cast is pretty bland in visual design.

Haven't seen it yet, gonna wait til next week when school is back in session. One of my favorite critics Tim Brayton gave it a B+. He's a huge Disney animated fan, he did a stupidly in-depth retrospective of every single Disney feature film not too long ago. He's recently worked through all the shitty straight-to-DVD Disney sequels as well. He quickly did away with with "BEST DISNEY MOVIE IN 20 YEARS" hyperbole, but he did seem to really enjoy it.

That’s actually not a bad list, but The Lion King being put in the 6/10 category sticks out like a sore thumb.

Gibbo

Just came back from watching this. Loved it. I prefer Frozen over Tangled I think.

Also would I be in the minority camp who finds that Kristen Bell's performance overshadowed Idina Menzel's? Her enthusiasm was really infectious- and Anna is definitely one of the more likeable Disney princesses

Just came back from watching this. Loved it. I prefer Frozen over Tangled I think.

Also would I be in the minority camp who finds that Kristen Bell's performance overshadowed Idina Menzel's? Her enthusiasm was really infectious- and Anna is definitely one of the more likeable Disney princesses

Glad to hear you liked it. And I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I will tell you that the first time I heard Kristen Bell sing 'For the First Time in Forever' I was kinda blown away......I didn't know she could sing that well! o_O

Palmer_v1

Holy shit. I hadn't looked up who did the voices and didn't realize Anna was Kristen Bell. I had no idea she could sing, let alone that well. and Idina Menzel was Elphaba in Wicked, right?

I kind of want to see this movie again, but in 3D this time.

Daft_Cat

Enchanted, Tangled, and Frozen all have a pretty similar approach to breaking down the Princess genre and turning cliches on their head. They're sort of feminist in a way.

Anyways, Frozen has a really unique aesthetic, and a decent soundtrack. If anything, the music lacks an iconic number, but the Snowman song comes close for me... and the lyrics are clever throughout.

For what it lacks in the music department (and again, it's still decent), it totally makes up for in its script. I also love that Disney animated features are running longer and longer. This was nearly an hour and fifty minutes, and the pacing was perfect.

I also love that Disney animated features are running longer and longer. This was nearly an hour and fifty minutes, and the pacing was perfect.

That was a funny thing I noticed, if you ignore Winnie the Pooh all the Disney features since Home on the Range have gotten progressively longer. I think that makes Frozen the longest Disney animated movie ever, at least the traditional narrative ones so you exclude the Fantasia anthology.

It was really cute. Beautiful animation and nice songs. Olaf garnered a lot more laughs out of me than I thought he would. The movie got a bit weird at the climax but it was good afterwards and to the end.

The Disney short before it "Get a Horse!" was really amazing too. 3D is definitely worth it.

Absolutely loved it. Had that "magical" quality to it. My daughter, 7, said it's "the best movie ever." Obviously her movie experience is limited, but she had a great time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

He considers The Lion King to be a "Credible Effort"? 6/10? Ranked beneath Home on the Range?

???

??????????????????????

Boo, looks like I need to wait until Monday to see this, with an outside chance of Saturday being possible.

Will let you guys know when I finally do with a mini-review. :)

kmfdmpig

My wife, four year old and I all liked it quite a bit.
Olaf was much better than I thought he'd be. The visuals were gorgeous and I'd rank it right up there with Tangled in quality. I thought Tangled was great as well.

Drago

Saw this yesterday, it was great! Not as good as Tangled was (it may be close, have to rewatch Tangled), but I thought it was better than Wreck It Ralph. May post more in depth impressions later. I highly recommend it.

UrbanRats

He considers The Lion King to be a "Credible Effort"? 6/10? Ranked beneath Home on the Range?

???

??????????????????????

You should read the review though, they're pretty in depth, even if they focus a LOT on box office shenanigans.

I mean i love Robin Hood, but some of his points for ranking it down are pretty fair (like all the reused animation)

Ooh, it's up? Lion King hijinks aside, I adore Brayton. His Disney sequel retrospective was hysterical to read through.

Drago

Is it bad that I'm enjoying Disney Animation Studio's output more than Pixar's now.
I think I would say I enjoyed Monsters University more than Frozen (both fantastic movies), but WIR was much better than Brave and Tangled was MUCH better than Cars 2 was. Hell, it's not even a contest IMO.

Hope Monsters U is the beginning of Pixar getting back to former glory. Sucks we won't get their next until Nov 2015 though. :(

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
You should read the review though, they're pretty in depth, even if they focus a LOT on box office shenanigans.

I mean i love Robin Hood, but some of his points for ranking it down are pretty fair (like all the reused animation)

I intend to, but I don't have the time right now.
Still, The Lion King is not a 6/10. *folds arms*

Leeness

You know how sometimes a song and visuals are married so well that you can play the whole scene out when listening to the song?

Let It Go. :')

That moment when she stamps her foot and makes that first big snowflake on the ground. ;_;

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
My wife and I saw this late this afternoon, and we absolutely LOVED it. The songs were really good, and contrary to the apparent prevailing sentiment here, we both thought the Fixer Upper song and segment was really great fun. The movie was funny and sweet, and easily our favorite single moment was a "blink and you'll miss it" sight gag,
during the assault on the ice palace when, as the action passes by in the foreground, the reindeer sits in the background with his tongue stuck to the frozen staircase banister. It's subtle, not the focus of the scene, and completely hilarious
. I'd also add a particular mention of the short playing with the feature, which we both found to be particularly clever. It was a well spent afternoon, and I cannot recommend Frozen more highly...

I was speaking to my friend who lives in New Zealand who saw the movie today just a few hours ago and he said that after ‘Let It Go’ the audience (which was apparently packed) bursted into applause with people even whistling.

Apparently that never happens in New Zealand. At this point I think it’s safe to say that we have another critical darling similar to Tangled here...we're in the middle of the second Disney renaissance and I couldn’t be happier! ^_^

qindarka

Banned
I was speaking to my friend who lives in New Zealand who saw the movie today just a few hours ago and he said that after ‘Let It Go’ the audience (which was apparently packed) bursted into applause with people even whistling.

Apparently that never happens in New Zealand. At this point I think it’s safe to say that we have another critical darling similar to Tangled here...we're in the middle of the second Disney renaissance and I couldn’t be happier! ^_^

Also an A+ on Cinemascore, as with Tangled, apparently. Certainly does seem to be very popular with general audiences, which should lead to good word of mouth. Already poised to have a higher opening weekend than Tangled or Ralph.

Little disappointed in the RT rating, unlikely to reach 90 now. Average rating still healthy, though.

I would hesitate to compare it to the Disney Renaissance. Though the perception of WDAS has been improving, they are still far from having the same cultural impact and critical acclaim of the films of that era. In part, this has to do with there being other major Western animation studios around as compared to the early 90s where their only significant competition, Don Bluth, was already floundering. And there has been a lot of shit that has irreparably damaged the public perception of WDAS, the DTV sequels, the Disney Princess marketing etc.

ivysaur12

Banned
God, that was absolutely fantastic, even with its random Idina Menzel I-don't-need-no-man music video when
Elsa goes AWOL.
Even then, Let it Go is still probably one of the best Disney songs in recent memory.

Wreck-It Ralph, Tangled, and Frozen are really just fantastic films and much better than anything Pixar has put out since Toy Story 3. Step up your game, Pixar.

You really, really need to stop judging the film based on other people's impressions. Just wait till you see it, bud. :)

UrbanRats

I've caught up with a couple of Disney animated films i had missed.

Atlantis was very bad, aside from Helga, her animation was cool for the most part, and the French gross dude:
ibhsoJJ4ozY5na.gif

(especially the hair).

And then Lilo & Stitch, which was incredible; it's soon, but i'll probably end up putting it in my top 10 animated movies.
Incredible animation, good use of 3d (something VERY obnoxious with a lot of early 2000s animated films) and great characters/story.
Too bad for the Elvis music, really not my thing.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
I watched this movie the other day after knowing literally nothing about it going in and expecting it to be pretty cookie-cutter, and boy was I wrong. What a movie.

It is obvious that Let It Go is supposed to be that but it just...isn't. It somehow isn't strong enough. At least not in my opinion. I really feel that a big number would have pushed it over the top. The songs here, including Let It Go, are instead pretty good and catchy but nothing truly outstanding. It all feels pretty typical of what you expect from Disney

I feel the complete opposite. For me Let It Go was really the point where the movie starts hitting its stride and doesn't stop until the end.

Top Bottom