• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s “Snow White” Trailer Bombarded With Criticism

Draugoth

Gold Member
The two lead actresses of the movie “Snow White,” Rachel Zegler (Snow White) and Gal Gadot (Evil Queen), appeared at the D23 event held on August 10 to interact with the audience. The official teaser trailer of the movie was also released to the public on the same day.

In the trailer, which is more than 1 minute long, Rachel Zegler appears as Snow White with her signature bob hairstyle, surrounded by the 7 dwarfs. Zegler revealed that in this version, the famous Disney princess will not be saved by a prince but dreams of becoming a leader who is fearless, brave and loyal.

The trailer attracted the attention of fansright after it was released. Many point out that Rachel Zegler’s Snow White is completely different from the description in the story, which is what many audiences objected to. In addition, some even say that the villain Gal Gadot has a better visual than the female lead despite being 16 years older.

snow-white-getting-a-lot-of-dislikes-v0-s6lau68gsshd1.png

Disney released the first teaser trailer for its live-action Snow White film at a recent event, but fan response has been mixed. Starring Rachel Zegler as Snow White, the movie now has a planned 2025 release after facing delays. While some praised Zegler’s singing from the trailer, other aspects prompted debates over modern interpretations of the classic story.

The depiction of the seven dwarves drew particular commentary. Aiming to avoid potential stereotyping as mentioned by actor Peter Dinklage, Disney used computer-generated images instead of casting short actors. However, many felt the CGI characters looked unrealistic. Additionally, digital animals and landscapes dominated the trailer over live elements, causing questions about the film’s visual direction.

Fans also observed key differences in Snow White’s appearance. Zegler’s wig lacked the volume and style of the animated character, drawing comparisons to other on-screen hairstyles.

Source

The two lead actresses of the movie “Snow White,” Rachel Zegler (Snow White) and Gal Gadot (Evil Queen), appeared at the D23 event held on August 10 to interact with the audience. The official teaser trailer of the movie was also released to the public on the same day.

In the trailer, which is more than 1 minute long, Rachel Zegler appears as Snow White with her signature bob hairstyle, surrounded by the 7 dwarfs. Zegler revealed that in this version, the famous Disney princess will not be saved by a prince but dreams of becoming a leader who is fearless, brave and loyal.

The trailer attracted the attention of fansright after it was released. Many point out that Rachel Zegler’s Snow White is completely different from the description in the story, which is what many audiences objected to. In addition, some even say that the villain Gal Gadot has a better visual than the female lead despite being 16 years older.

snow-white-getting-a-lot-of-dislikes-v0-s6lau68gsshd1.png

Source

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

clem84

Gold Member
The trailer looked fine. The movie looks well made and has a proper fairy tale look to it. I can't say that something like this is very big on my radar though. Whether it's made by Disney or some other company, I probably wasn't going to see this anyway.

They already said they're going to change elements of the story deemed 'dated'. This thing will have the girl boss trope all over it.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Many point out that Rachel Zegler’s Snow White is completely different from the description in the story, which is what many audiences objected to. In addition, some even say that the villain Gal Gadot has a better visual than the female lead despite being 16 years older.
I have absolutely no problem with modern retelling of the story and giving it a new spin, but when i read the bolded I go like this:

sam winchester yawn GIF

Leader of who? For what purpose? Why?

Lambogenie

I really don't get the hate Rachel Zegler is getting. She looks just like the Snow White from the original animation film. And the dwarfs are fucking dwarfs. What is there to complain about before seeing it?
Her attitude of high and mighty status from interviews is probably a huge reason. She hasn't come across like someone genuine or pleasant. Both her and Gal Gadot are weird personalities.

This last trailer does look well produced though.

I don't understand the supposed upsetting response...

What decade do they think they are in? This direction is not at all shocking.

Don't get me wrong, the whole "prince save the ______" plot is boring as shit, and I'm glad it's dead.
But they just swapped one boring cliche for another boring cliche.

That's what Disney is now, the only reason I even barely care about them, is Kingdom Hearts.
And even then, If KH became it's own thing completely detached from Disney, they would easily work it out.

ShadowNate

The trailer doesn't look bad. If I had missed the earlier statements and the one shot (that was from early production / photography testing (?)) with placeholder actors, I'd say that this looks like a decent effort.

Goes to show that I should probably ignore the big fuss based on a single "leaked" shot, and as a general rule not pay attention to actors' statements because more often than not they reveal that they've no wisdom to share with the world.

I'm not in the target audience though, and probably won't watch this any time soon -- definitely not on the big screen.

Kenpachii

Watched the trailer doesn't look bad to me. No clue why people complain about it. Yea she's a shitter when it comes to her reallife personality. but this will make bank with kids.

Last edited:

JCK75

This is a mess.. radical right hates Rachel Zegler .. and the radical left (as well as the Groyper wing of the radical right) hate Gal Gadot...
it's destined for failure... unless it's actually good and the normies save it.

Mistake

Gold Member
Given the current US climate, it won't surprise me if another girl boss movie sells. I mean, I didn't see barbie, but wasn't that one? Don't expect this to get high numbers around Asia though

RaduN

I really don't get the hate Rachel Zegler is getting. She looks just like the Snow White from the original animation film. And the dwarfs are fucking dwarfs. What is there to complain about before seeing it?
This is exactly what the producer said to the studio CEO, the very second day after the trailer was released, word for word.

calistan

no one can believe the girl playing snow white is fairer than Gal Godot.
I don't know, there's something of the drag queen about Gadot at times. Anyway, I'm sure they'll explain that fairness is in the heart, not just on the outside.

spz0pOP.jpeg

As a retelling of the story, this seems to have more artistic merit than pointless crap like the Mermaid one or redoing Lion King scene for scene in CGI.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
how many more IPs is left for the "live action" treatment? I know there's a Bambi one in the works, but they must be running low on the titles they can live action by now right?

jason10mm

Gold Member
how many more IPs is left for the "live action" treatment? I know there's a Bambi one in the works, but they must be running low on the titles they can live action by now right?
I'm convinced this is really a move by Disney to "refresh" their parts of these stories before their original films fall into the public domain. They can't trademark or copywrite the name Snow White or the original story, but they CAN lock down their parts of it by making new films with those elements. So expect every OG disney film to get this treatment, and most of them have. Snow White was 1937 so it will fall into public domain (in the US) in ~2032. But they can now claim the dwarves names (I'm assuming the new film will use them) and a lot of what folks THINK of as "the story of Snow White" with this new movie, including her iconic look. Whether a new movie can really prevent folks from using stuff based on the 1937 film is probably debatable, but Disney lawyers will make DAMN SURE no one tries, at least not without committing millions and millions to the effort.

RAÏSanÏa

Gal's recitation of the Queen's famous line is better and livelier than her usual in films where her voice is so monotone and wooden, the same. She seems inspired. Channeling all the hate for her into a role like that could work, give character fire. Maybe a Robert Pattinson trancendant moment.

I'm looking forward to see how Gal does in this with the possible Cleopatra showdown upcoming.

With the influence of Alexandrian Hellenistic Judaism on the kingdom and establishment of ancient Christianity her casting has a nice synchronicity that could make the project shine over Villeneuve and Zendaya.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Gal's recitation of the Queen's famous line is better and livelier than her usual in films where her voice is so monotone and wooden, the same. She seems inspired. Channeling all the hate for her into a role like that could work, give character fire. Maybe a Robert Pattinson trancendant moment.

I'm looking forward to see how Gal does in this with the possible Cleopatra showdown upcoming.

With the influence of Alexandrian Hellenistic Judaism on the kingdom and establishment of ancient Christianity her casting has a nice synchronicity that could make the project shine over Villeneuve and Zendaya.
Man, I just read a blurb about this film and the scope of what they wanna show, NO WAY they get all that done. Villeneuve is waaaay too languid a director to cover all of her life in one film, nor should anyone want to watch it. Gadot as Cleo would be just as bad though, neither of these actresses have much range. Gal has her "knowing smirk" and Zen has "bratty sis that has to take a shit" and that's about it for both of them.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I don't know, there's something of the drag queen about Gadot at times. Anyway, I'm sure they'll explain that fairness is in the heart, not just on the outside.

spz0pOP.jpeg

As a retelling of the story, this seems to have more artistic merit than pointless crap like the Mermaid one or redoing Lion King scene for scene in CGI.

gal gadot by brian GIF

With the exception of her dumb lets all sing imagine because everyone has COVID.....she is pretty attractive.

NickFire

Is there any valid reason/argument to use cgi for the dwarves?
I don't think they had a choice unless they wanted to reshoot the entire movie.

As for main topic, I don't think the trailer looks bad. I'm guessing it will do well at the box office based on the IP and how the trailer looked.

jason10mm

Gold Member
How is it a girl boss movie?
Kinda depends on how they frame that "the famous Disney princess will not be saved by a prince but dreams of becoming a leader who is fearless, brave and loyal." bit. In the original tale the Prince just comes along, falls for her hot comatose body, and while taking her body back to his kingdom jars it and knocks the poisoned apple bite out (through various possible means) which revives her. They agree to marry and the evil Queen shows up at the wedding, gets called out, and killed by being forced to dance in red hot iron shoes. So the Prince doesn't really "save" her directly so much as fall for her and then give her the ability to enact justice/revenge on the Queen. But Snow White really doesn't really want to take over her fathers kingdom or anything. So we could get another Kirsten Stewart "she-battle" film or maybe they will address the themes of step-parents and children, competition for the heart of a father/husband, rivalry betwixt women, toxic feminism and vanity, etc.

Mistake

Gold Member
How is it a girl boss movie?
It's in the OP. Also, Zegler said before that this movie isn't for the men and woman this woman that blah blah blah

Last edited:

DKehoe

Kinda depends on how they frame that "the famous Disney princess will not be saved by a prince but dreams of becoming a leader who is fearless, brave and loyal." bit. In the original tale the Prince just comes along, falls for her hot comatose body, and while taking her body back to his kingdom jars it and knocks the poisoned apple bite out (through various possible means) which revives her. They agree to marry and the evil Queen shows up at the wedding, gets called out, and killed by being forced to dance in red hot iron shoes. So the Prince doesn't really "save" her directly so much as fall for her and then give her the ability to enact justice/revenge on the Queen. But Snow White really doesn't really want to take over her fathers kingdom or anything. So we could get another Kirsten Stewart "she-battle" film or maybe they will address the themes of step-parents and children, competition for the heart of a father/husband, rivalry betwixt women, toxic feminism and vanity, etc.

It's in the OP. Also, Zegler said before that this movie isn't for the men and woman this woman that blah blah blah
But what do those have to do with being a girl boss? It does seem like that term gets tossed around a lot here without it referring to the actual meaning.

Toons

Peter Dinklage pulling up the ladder.

They dwarves were announced to be voice acted like 2 years ago. I think the plan was always to CGI them.

As for the trailer it looks... fine. I have zero issue with the casting of snow white and thing she looks good in character. But the movie itself kinda seems generic.... it doesn't seem to be adding much to the original. But these aren't generally made to, so...

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Of course she/her took to X to say something really shitty that revolves around her own co-star homeland. digusting.

jason10mm

Gold Member
But what do those have to do with being a girl boss? It does seem like that term gets tossed around a lot here without it referring to the actual meaning.
Well, we will (or some of us anyway) see. Are there poorly written boorish male roles that exists purely for the female characters to dunk on and seem superior to? Does this teenaged waif, alone in the wilderness, suddenly gain a magical ability to command entire armies? Does a prince show up and get all his princely problems instantly solved by said teenaged waif? Do the female characters just act like men in drag with no femineity attributed to them or use of alternate problem solving beyond "punch harder!". These are characteristics of "girl boss" versus "Strong female character".

Top Bottom