• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s “Snow White” Trailer Bombarded With Criticism

DKehoe

That’s about as much of a nothing burger as I expected.
Do you not want to answer the question or something? Most people aren't going on about the new Snow White film. But you said people have an obligation to talk about it. So if you feel like that is an obligation then what are your thoughts on so many people foresaking that?

You may have missed the shock to Disney that occurred a few years ago when parents stopped trusting the brand and felt the need to start checking/watching their movies before letting their kids in. Some people don't care, or just assume Disney is still the seal for kids like in the 90s when they could spam white-boxed movies at us. But they aren't anymore (not by opinion, but by what was actually happening in the world). Imagine, giving a shit about the content children watch. You make light of there being violence or smoking in it or whatever, but those would make it obviously unfit for kids and no parents would need to be worried, it would be an obviously inappropriate version so no one would need to pay close attention.

Some people want to start checking when they notice cherished pieces of media being used as trojan horses for feeding kids political propaganda. And strangely, have an opinion on it. I know, imagine. How pathetic do you have to be?

So, to answer your question, I think it makes you an irresponsible asshole who cares more about looking like the most mature bad ass in the room than parenting.
I'm being told I have an obligation to talk about something. I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do. If you want to talk about the Snow White film or the other Disney films then that's up to you. But there's a difference between you wanting to talk about those and everyone having to talk about them.

BlackTron

I'm being told I have an obligation to talk about something. I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do. If you want to talk about the Snow White film or the other Disney films then that's up to you. But there's a difference between you wanting to talk about those and everyone having to talk about them.

I temporarily confused you with dorkimoe dorkimoe due to similar user names. He came in telling other people not to talk about it and thought you were the same dude while writing this.

adults bombarding a kids movie

Dural

There is undoubtedly a culture war going on and the people on one side don't like it when they're getting called out so they start lashing out at "cis middle-aged white men". If you're a parent you have the responsibility to make choices over you kids' media consumption. Kids themselves can't perceive the propaganda aimed at them.

An eyeopener for me was when I became aware in my late teens of how demoralizing it is that all dads in comedy shows are portrayed as stupid, lazy and disrespected by their families. I had never reflected until then over how messed up that is and how acceptable it was to show contempt for them.

Bill Maher of all people did a bit about that years ago. How the majority of tv moms were perfect and all their husbands were dumb fucks lucky to have them.

This has been going on for decades, the media has been pushing the strong woman in everything they can to change the culture. They thought this had to be done at the expense of strong men. Movies, tv shows, commercials, and print ads all had to make men weak and stupid and the women smart and strong. The late, great, Gene Siskel would lament the weak dads in Hollywood and he passed in 1999. I remember ready something in the early 2000s about it.

Toots

Gold Member
This has been going on for decades, the media has been pushing the strong woman in everything they can to change the culture. They thought this had to be done at the expense of strong men. Movies, tv shows, commercials, and print ads all had to make men weak and stupid and the women smart and strong. The late, great, Gene Siskel would lament the weak dads in Hollywood and he passed in 1999. I remember ready something in the early 2000s about it.

Bewitched, which started airing in 1964, is entirely build on the wife using witchcraft to rectify the husband (Jean-Pierre in French a huge looser name by the way) fuckups, and everyone tells him how he doesn't deserve her.
Personally the only time i mind the weak husband stereotype is when it's the only male character, which was not the case until recently.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Bewitched, which started airing in 1964, is entirely build on the wife using witchcraft to rectify the husband (Jean-Pierre in French a huge looser name by the way) fuckups, and everyone tells him how he doesn't deserve her.
that's why I Dream of Jeannie was the infinitely better show and the more countercultural vision in the end
jeannie-5.jpg

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Personally the only time i mind the weak husband stereotype is when it's the only male character, which was not the case until recently.

Bewitched was written by all men. Non-woke. The Honeymooners used the same trope. So did the Dick Van Dyke Show (to an extent). So did The Flintstones.

Wanna blame someone? Blame the men writers who started that trope back in the 40s, 50s and 60s.

RAÏSanÏa

Bewitched was written by all men. Non-woke. The Honeymooners used the same trope. So did the Dick Van Dyke Show (to an extent). So did The Flintstones.

Wanna blame someone? Blame the men writers who started that trope back in the 40s, 50s and 60s.
I'm hoping the blame works its way back to Thutmose III.

You may have missed the shock to Disney that occurred a few years ago when parents stopped trusting the brand and felt the need to start checking/watching their movies before letting their kids in. Some people don't care, or just assume Disney is still the seal for kids like in the 90s when they could spam white-boxed movies at us. But they aren't anymore (not by opinion, but by what was actually happening in the world). Imagine, giving a shit about the content children watch. You make light of there being violence or smoking in it or whatever, but those would make it obviously unfit for kids and no parents would need to be worried, it would be an obviously inappropriate version so no one would need to pay close attention.

Some people want to start checking when they notice cherished pieces of media being used as trojan horses for feeding kids political propaganda. And strangely, have an opinion on it. I know, imagine. How pathetic do you have to be?

So, to answer your question, I think it makes you an irresponsible asshole who cares more about looking like the most mature bad ass in the room than parenting.
Anecdotally, I have also heard from multiple parents I know that they have started screening Disney content before they show it to their kids. This is not something I ever heard of before very recently. It used to be that Disney was always 100% safe and parents could let their kids watch it without worrying about anything.

I don't know if Bob Iger and the rest really realize how significant this is or how much they have damaged their company's reputation in the last 10 years with going openly woke the way they have.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You don't need to be conservative to disagree with racism. MLK must be rolling in his grave

MLK fought against injustice that was happening at the time. When he was alive, black people (and other brown folks) weren't seen as equal or human (especially in the South and many parts of the Midwest)... His 'content of character ' speech wasn't about all people... It was about the majority population seeing black and brown people's character BEFORE they saw the colors of our skins. The majority population didn't have to worry about that because THEY held the power (and in many ways still do).

Also keep in mind, he wasn't a very popular person, nor was the movement. Ask yourselves why it took over a decade of the CRM to make any headway on voting rights or ending Jim Crow if he was as popular then as he is now.

People get a lot of what MLK said wrong... Even when understanding the world he lived in.

Mistake

Gold Member
MLK fought against injustice that was happening at the time. When he was alive, black people (and other brown folks) weren't seen as equal or human (especially in the South and many parts of the Midwest)... His 'content of character ' speech wasn't about all people... It was about the majority population seeing black and brown people's character BEFORE they saw the colors of our skins. The majority population didn't have to worry about that because THEY held the power (and in many ways still do).

Also keep in mind, he wasn't a very popular person, nor was the movement. Ask yourselves why it took over a decade of the CRM to make any headway on voting rights or ending Jim Crow if he was as popular then as he is now.

People get a lot of what MLK said wrong... Even when understanding the world he lived in.
I fully understand the problems with how black and brown people were treated and the history of the time, but you can still apply his logic of seeing character first in any case where widespread racism is being applied. The message is the same, don't be an asshole over someone's skin color.

Last edited:

Dude, what on earth? Your take on MLK is seriously off. You're twisting his legacy to fit your own narrative. While MLK did face opposition, he was extremely well respected and popular. Just look at the massive turnout for his I Have a Dream speech. He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964 for his influence and popularity. His content of character comment wasn't just about black and brown people. It was about equality for everyone. How you even arrived at that conclusion is beyond me. Reducing it to just race completely distorts his broader vision for a just society. It's exactly the kind of weird perversion of his dream that many people seem to do lately to fit their agenda. The Civil Rights Movement's slow progress was due to the entrenched racism during the time he was alive, not because he was unpopular. It's ironic that you say people get MLK wrong when your interpretation completely skews his true impact and legacy. Don't lecture others on this topic when you're the one distorting the facts. This is a seriously bad take.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member

Im not blaming anyone and you're saying exactly what im saying : the weak husband trope is old as hell.
I added that what bothers me is when the weak husband is the only male stereotype in the show, which i find is a current writing trend.

So yes human being did not change much, if at all, for thousands of years (genetic evolution takes a very long time). They think about the same stuff in the same ways. So most tropes are timeless. There always was a weak husband. There always was a strong warrior, a loving wife, a cowardly cheater, a lying spouse, etc. But societies change tremendously, cultures rise and disappear. Maybe you could ask yourself what does a specific archetype means in a specific context. What did weak husband mean when those dudes where writing Bewitched ? What does it mean when current dudes write those types of characters in movies ? What did strong woman mean when James Cameron wrote Aliens ? What does it mean when disney uses the trope in new star wars ?

Human beings are creatures of context 🤷‍♀️

AfricanKing

Someone should tell Google that removing the showing of Dislikes isn't going far enough, they need to remove the Dislike button entirely to prevent wokeshit from being Disliked

zVs2ABu.png

Dislike extensions overestimate dislike counts by up to 95% - they are all wrong and just gather data on extension users and guestamate the number , actual viewers who don't have the extension are not counted

winjer

Gold Member
Dislike extensions overestimate dislike counts by up to 95% - they are all wrong and just gather data on extension users and guestamate the number , actual viewers who don't have the extension are not counted

That is incorrect. Dislikes are hidden from normal users, but the API still records them for content creators.
What these extensions do is to go around this block and take the information from another place. But it's still accurate.

AfricanKing

That is incorrect. Dislikes are hidden from normal users, but the API still records them for content creators.
What these extensions do is to go around this block and take the information from another place. But it's still accurate.

Yeah no, this is from there own website

The backend is using archived data from when the youtube api was still returning the dislike count, extension users like/dislike count and extrapolation. In the near future we will be allowing content creators to submit their dislike count easily and safely and we will be adding ArchiveTeam's archived data (4.56 billion videos) into our current database. You can also view a video on the topic.

Its all fake my guy ..and look at the numbers.

The video has around 8M Views .. even having 1M dislikes is the highest level of engagement a video can get, not even big time influencers and major brands get that level of engagement. The numbers are highly inflated.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Yeah no, this is from there own website

Its all fake my guy ..and look at the numbers.

The video has around 8M Views .. even having 1M dislikes is the highest level of engagement a video can get, not even big time influencers and major brands get that level of engagement. The numbers are highly inflated.

Where does this extension get the data?

A Combination of Google APIs and scraped data.

We save all available data to our DB for it to be available after Google shuts down dislike counts in their API.

How does this work?

The extension collects the video id of the video you are watching, fetches the dislike (and other fields like views, likes etc) using our API, if this is the first time the video was fetched by our API, it will use the YouTube API to get the data, then stores the data in a database for caching (cached for around 2-3 days) and archiving purposes and returns it to you. The extension then displays the dislikes to you.

What will happen after the YouTube API stops returning the dislike count?

The backend will switch to using a combination of archived dislike stats, estimates extrapolated from extension user data and estimates based on view/like ratios for videos whose dislikes weren't archived and for outdated dislike archives.

AfricanKing

This is old material .. Google switched off the API Ages ago..

Again this is explained on their website -

A combination of archived data from before the official YouTube dislike API shut down, and extrapolated extension user behavior.

You cant even use archived data to guess a dislike ratio for a new video that came out after the API endpoint was deprecated.

winjer

Gold Member
This is old material .. Google switched off the API Ages ago..

Again this is explained on their website -

You cant even use archived data to guess a dislike ratio for a new video that came out after the API endpoint was deprecated.

Only when the creator shuts down the API, does that extension do estimations.
Before that, the data is very accurate. But even after, it's still reliable.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It's definitely plausible to get accurate extrapolations since they have archived full like/dislike data from when scraping was possible, and millions of extension users now. You'd just need to make an adjustment for the negative bias of people who install the extension because they value dislikes, which you can do by comparing the old data to the extension-only data across a large enough dataset.

It may be less accurate in extreme edge cases like this one depending on how their math is set up, but overall if they're doing their job well it's going to be a reliable indicator.

AfricanKing

Only when the creator shuts down the API, does that extension do estimations.
Before that, the data is very accurate. But even after, it's still reliable.

No, you dont understand.

The Public endpoint has been shut down and only 2 stakeholders get to see dislike information.

1. The Content Creator
  2. Authorised Users from Google who agree not to share dislike information to end users as mentioned here - https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/134791097/update-to-youtube-dislike-counts?hl=en

These extensions are not using any active endpoints currently and are only using the data gathered by other users - this again is fully explained on their own website so i dont understand why you keep saying otherwise

Top Bottom