• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s “Snow White” Trailer Bombarded With Criticism

Eiknarf

Banned
Apparently the main actress just tweeted "Free Palestine".

I know the forum has a no politics policy but after everything the movie went through now this also happens, lmao. PR nightmare probably.
Ummmm maybe she should ask Gal Gadot what she thinks of that?
Rachel and Gal are on complete opposite sides of that coin

Fake

Gold Member
adults bombarding a kids movie
646058.jpg

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

The Drinker compares the Whistle While You Work songs of the OG and the remake and wouldn't you know it, Disney fucked it up.

See the video from 5:44 onward. In the old version Snow White and her animal friends cleaned the dwarfs' house while they were away and then went upstairs to sleep. In the new version Snow White doesn't clean anything, she directs the dwarfs to do their own cleaning.

In the original the Dwarfs were surprised to see a clean house when they got home and were therefore friendly towards the strange girl who they found sleeping in one of their beds and they offer her shelter. In the update that unknown girl doesn't first perform a good deed before she's given shelter, she acts like a girl boss and tells the dwarfs to do their own cleaning.

dorkimoe

Get out of here with that poor attitude.

Kids didn’t make the movie, boss

Adults are allowed, even expected to critique art put out by other adults
imagine a grown man spending his time downvoting a kids movies because hes upset. I didnt say a kid made it. but they are made for kids. Nobody is writing this movie going "how can we attract middle aged men to this". "poor attitude" lol, in a thread of ADULTS crying about a childrens movie

Last edited:

Dural

for some use cases it is worth it. we should have an official thread on Time shares.

Agreed. The DVC units have a kitchen, washer/dryer, and more space. For a week at Disney that can be a godsend. You just gotta be a "every year its DISNEY!" type already and the DVC makes more sense.

Yep. While I don't have DVC, yet, I do own points for Club Wyndham and our family loves it. I pay about $1350/year in maintenance fees and that has allowed us to stay at a local resort during spring break for four days and a week in Orlando at Bonnett Creek that is pretty much on Disney property. This is for 2 bedroom suites that are about 1500 sqft and include a full kitchen, washer/dryer, master suite with king bed and en suite, and second bedroom and bathroom with two queens for the kids. I bought it so that we will always have the ability to go somewhere every year on vacation, the hotel is paid for.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yep. While I don't have DVC, yet, I do own points for Club Wyndham and our family loves it. I pay about $1350/year in maintenance fees and that has allowed us to stay at a local resort during spring break for four days and a week in Orlando at Bonnett Creek that is pretty much on Disney property. This is for 2 bedroom suites that are about 1500 sqft and include a full kitchen, washer/dryer, master suite with king bed and en suite, and second bedroom and bathroom with two queens for the kids. I bought it so that we will always have the ability to go somewhere every year on vacation, the hotel is paid for.
LOOOOOVES me some Bonnet Creek! I stay there a lot, has nice pools, great rooms, and close enough to the Disney action. I do admit that the DVC (Beachfront?) that is walking distance from Epcot for those late nights celebrating Food and Wine, VERY convenient :p

Also did a really nice multi-story room at the one near Magic Kingdom (Baylake?) that was really cool, walking to MK was dope as well. Anything to avoid that morning crush and the terrible evening bus waits with sleepy/grumpy kids.

Probably gonna show Universal Orlando some love next time, but it's been a while since I've done WDW, looking forward to going back and the new stuff there. Not a fan of their ever changing methods for reserving rides, paying for fastpasses, etc, I think I prefer Universals flat fee for an all day priority access.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
imagine a grown man spending his time downvoting a kids movies because hes upset. I didnt say a kid made it. but they are made for kids. Nobody is writing this movie going "how can we attract middle aged men to this". "poor attitude" lol, in a thread of ADULTS crying about a childrens movie
Stupid shit post right here. You do understand adults see these things too? And why should we subject our kids to shit?

Dural

LOOOOOVES me some Bonnet Creek! I stay there a lot, has nice pools, great rooms, and close enough to the Disney action. I do admit that the DVC (Beachfront?) that is walking distance from Epcot for those late nights celebrating Food and Wine, VERY convenient :p

Also did a really nice multi-story room at the one near Magic Kingdom (Baylake?) that was really cool, walking to MK was dope as well. Anything to avoid that morning crush and the terrible evening bus waits with sleepy/grumpy kids.

Probably gonna show Universal Orlando some love next time, but it's been a while since I've done WDW, looking forward to going back and the new stuff there. Not a fan of their ever changing methods for reserving rides, paying for fastpasses, etc, I think I prefer Universals flat fee for an all day priority access.

I'm probably going to rent some DVC points next trip to stay at either Boardwalk or one of the other Epcot area resorts. There's so much to do without even entering the parks in that area. Baylake would be awesome and not having to use the monorail or ferry boat to get to MK would be great, but with all the construction that's going to be going on at MK for the next few years we'll probably be spending more time at the other 3 parks.

We were just at Universal a couple weeks ago and it was a lot of fun. The lines weren't that bad so didn't even need the priority access. I've been on a lot of rides, and Velocicoaster was one of the craziest things I've ever been on. Back row at night is just unbelievable! I tried the new Lightning Lane at MK this last trip and wasn't a fan, all the slots were taken for the good rides right away. We only used it for Haunted Mansion.

Goalus

Robin Hood, The Fox & The Hound, Duck Tales, The Rescuers, Song of the So....oh, never mind.
Basil the Great Mouse Detective
The Black Cauldron
Aristocats

The Black Cauldron and Aristocats both host great opportunity to highlight "strong, independent woman" qualities of major characters that were not present before. As a male feminist I can only applaud to that.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Basil the Great Mouse Detective
The Black Cauldron
Aristocats

The Black Cauldron and Aristocats both host great opportunity to highlight "strong, independent woman" qualities of major characters that were not present before. As a male feminist I can only applaud to that.
The Black Cauldron/Pyrridan Chronicles would make for a good tv series. So would Eddings Belgeriad, some good opportunities for non forced diversity there as well. Just give me my flame haired pale skinned Ce'nedra :p

Gp1

As if Disney wasn't capitalizing on hype of this version with the middle-aged millennials who now have children and had their first contact with Snow White/classic Disney on VHS tape releases from the 80s/90s.

Do you not think it's perfectly reasonable that adults have an opinion on what their kids watch? Are we supposed to completely outsource the raising of children to multinational corporations?

The stories that children are told matter. That's why this whole 'why do you care?' attitude is so disingenuous. People have been criticising traditional moves for decades due to their supposed messaging and promoting of traditional values. Now that alternative values are being promoted those same people act like only a loser would care about such things.

mcjmetroid

I've said it for a while but they should have cancelled this when they had the chance. No good can come of this movie from anyone.

Hell id request to be taken off the credits, it pretty much finishes Rachel's career no doubt.

Last edited:

Corian33

What’s to get mad about here? Seemed fine to me. Visuals look like the original animated movie. Tone is a little dark but that’s good if they do something interesting with it. It looked like Snow White to me.

Also, the original was made how many decades ago? I think it’s probably fine to do a different take on the same story, the world is a big enough.

These are real adult grievances like 'why would gal gadot be jealous of rachel ziegler lol?' and ' actually, the dictionary definition of fairest means whitest, my belief can no longer be suspended.'

freefornow

Wait,
How do I see the number of dislikes here?

It only shows me the LIKES:

S7vWLKW.jpeg

Are they hiding the DISLIKES??!!
You can install an Extension from chrome. Search "Return Youtube Dislike". Fairly sure it is available on some other browsers as well.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You can install an Extension from chrome. Search "Return Youtube Dislike". Fairly sure it is available on some other browsers as well.

From what I've read and heard, it's a guesstimate. Not really accurate. It was MORE accurate in the past than it is now.

//DEVIL//

I am very allergic to woke and the LGPTQABCDEFG+-*/ but... I find the trailer fine ?

It doesnt have to be the exact same take as the original. otherwise its kinda pointless to watch. so.. i am in for my daughter to see it.

feynoob

Banned
I am very allergic to woke and the LGPTQABCDEFG+-*/ but... I find the trailer fine ?

It doesnt have to be the exact same take as the original. otherwise its kinda pointless to watch. so.. i am in for my daughter to see it.
It's what if snow white. But is sold as snow-white animated one. It's Disney product, so no reason for me to get mad about it.

Kids won't really care that much. It's snow white. The name is enough for them.

Only adults will get triggered by it, who wants the the animated version.

On other hand, the real book version is dark as F. It will get banned, if they actually try to make it. Not suitable for kids.

Last edited:

Tams

Actually, yes, adults should care, arguably more than their own entertainment, about what is being fed to kids.

If you think it doesn't matter, just look at the extremes of what happened in China.

RAÏSanÏa

The debate has got me thinking about what I thought of Snow White as a child.
As a rural 70s child I didn't have much access to movies until video cassettes became common. By the time I could easily watch it I didn't care about seeing Disney Snow White. Before that it might've been on broadcast tv a few times, but didn't hold my attention. I recall seeing clips regularly on Sundays. For books I had a set of a couple dozen abridged at 4 years of age that I remember reading through a few times. Snow White seemed like a girl's story. Playing house, girls fighting, boys wanting to stay out of it, mirror is intriguing. Mostly not the kind of complications I was interested in. Didn't really care for Pooh either. Of those books I liked Peter and The Wolf the most and would rush to watch if I heard the music broadcast. There were so many challenges solved by cleverness so quickly! Then...

Star Wars, Battlestar, and comic cartoon characters happened that outshone that stuff by late 70s too. I'd play Pong and listen to Bay City Rollers armed with my phaser and webshooters before watching Snow White by 6 years of age. I'd go outside and play hockey, or slide, or hunt wolves before watching Snow White.

While I'm watching the remake for Gal I've become curious if Snow's character arc is not only different but has more development. I remember another Disney remake, I think it was Cruella, that the trailer had elements which made the character look unfavourable before learning the character transformed differently in the movie. Maybe Snow goes from relying on her royal upbringing and learns to socialize differently.

The thing that's bothered me the most is the release date. Snow White is something is something most would associate with Christmas. I know I associate those Disney books with it.

adults bombarding a kids movie
I know you're trying to sound edgy and cool, but you aren't. It's weak. To dismiss valid criticism as 'adults bombarding a kids movie' completely misses the point. Snow White has been a beloved classic for almost a century, cherished by generations. It came out almost 100 years ago, dude. There is a legacy behind this movie. It put Disney on the map. When something of this magnitude is remade, it’s not just a ‘kids movie’ anymore, it’s a piece of cultural history that deserves respect. Rachel Zegler has shown absolute disdain for the original movie (as well as Gal Gadot, though Rachel has been more outspokenly obnoxious). Adults who grew up with the original are not only allowed, but are obligated to voice their opinions. This isn’t about gatekeeping. It’s about preserving the integrity of something that means a lot to people. You may not care about this IP in any way whatsoever, but that doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to care. You aren't the thought police and you don't get to tell other adults what they're allowed to think or feel. Calling out a garbage remake isn’t ‘bombarding' ... it’s defending an IP that many of us love. Disney has been on a warpath to destroy all their classic IPs lately, and this is just another casualty of their insanity.

Also, you have a Care Bear as your avatar. Is that irony?

Last edited:

Trilobit

There is undoubtedly a culture war going on and the people on one side don't like it when they're getting called out so they start lashing out at "cis middle-aged white men". If you're a parent you have the responsibility to make choices over you kids' media consumption. Kids themselves can't perceive the propaganda aimed at them.

An eyeopener for me was when I became aware in my late teens of how demoralizing it is that all dads in comedy shows are portrayed as stupid, lazy and disrespected by their families. I had never reflected until then over how messed up that is and how acceptable it was to show contempt for them.

DKehoe

I know you're trying to sound edgy and cool, but you aren't. It's weak. To dismiss valid criticism as 'adults bombarding a kids movie' completely misses the point. Snow White has been a beloved classic for almost a century, cherished by generations. It came out almost 100 years ago, dude. There is a legacy behind this movie. It put Disney on the map. When something of this magnitude is remade, it’s not just a ‘kids movie’ anymore, it’s a piece of cultural history that deserves respect. Rachel Zegler has shown absolute disdain for the original movie (as well as Gal Gadot, though Rachel has been more outspokenly obnoxious). Adults who grew up with the original are not only allowed, but are obligated to voice their opinions. This isn’t about gatekeeping. It’s about preserving the integrity of something that means a lot to people. You may not care about this IP in any way whatsoever, but that doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to care. You aren't the thought police and you don't get to tell other adults what they're allowed to think or feel. Calling out a garbage remake isn’t ‘bombarding' ... it’s defending an IP that many of us love. Disney has been on a warpath to destroy all their classic IPs lately, and this is just another casualty of their insanity.

Also, you have a Care Bear as your avatar. Is that irony?
Since it's an obligation, what are your thoughts on those who aren't bothering to talk about the new Snow White film?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
There is undoubtedly a culture war going on and the people on one side don't like it when they're getting called out so they start lashing out at "cis middle-aged white men". If you're a parent you have the responsibility to make choices over you kids' media consumption. Kids themselves can't perceive the propaganda aimed at them.

An eyeopener for me was when I became aware in my late teens of how demoralizing it is that all dads in comedy shows are portrayed as stupid, lazy and disrespected by their families. I had never reflected until then over how messed up that is and how acceptable it was to show contempt for them.
Bill Maher of all people did a bit about that years ago. How the majority of tv moms were perfect and all their husbands were dumb fucks lucky to have them.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
You know what could've been more interesting, if the roles were reversed. The young annoying brat sends her mother away, and she's snow white. So Gal is snow white and shows how being old doesn't mean you lost.

You know what could've been more interesting, if the roles were reversed. The young annoying brat sends her mother away, and she's snow white. So Gal is snow white and shows how being old doesn't mean you lost.
At least Snow White would be the right color. The title of the movie literally references her skin. It’s one thing to keep race swapping Disney characters, but this one was just dumb. It’s like if Disney created a movie called “The Ebony Princess” and then cast an Asian chick to play her.

Toots

Gold Member
That is actually a great idea, Wicked style.
A bit too meaningful in today's climate unfortunately.
Because what the world needs now is harmless performative stances not real introspection goddamit !

BlackTron

Since it's an obligation, what are your thoughts on those who aren't bothering to talk about the new Snow White film?

You may have missed the shock to Disney that occurred a few years ago when parents stopped trusting the brand and felt the need to start checking/watching their movies before letting their kids in. Some people don't care, or just assume Disney is still the seal for kids like in the 90s when they could spam white-boxed movies at us. But they aren't anymore (not by opinion, but by what was actually happening in the world). Imagine, giving a shit about the content children watch. You make light of there being violence or smoking in it or whatever, but those would make it obviously unfit for kids and no parents would need to be worried, it would be an obviously inappropriate version so no one would need to pay close attention.

Some people want to start checking when they notice cherished pieces of media being used as trojan horses for feeding kids political propaganda. And strangely, have an opinion on it. I know, imagine. How pathetic do you have to be?

So, to answer your question, I think it makes you an irresponsible asshole who cares more about looking like the most mature bad ass in the room than parenting.

Top Bottom