• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s “Snow White” Trailer Bombarded With Criticism

Mistake

Gold Member
But what do those have to do with being a girl boss? It does seem like that term gets tossed around a lot here without it referring to the actual meaning.
Because her dream of becoming a leader is at the expense of other men in the story. The entire thing was specifically changed to promote snow white as not needing the prince or king, and the actor said as much herself. There's a clear difference between a girl boss who "don't need no man" and a strong female lead. To what extent this applies is yet to be seen, but it's known already that's what they're going for

Last edited:

DKehoe

Well, we will (or some of us anyway) see. Are there poorly written boorish male roles that exists purely for the female characters to dunk on and seem superior to? Does this teenaged waif, alone in the wilderness, suddenly gain a magical ability to command entire armies? Does a prince show up and get all his princely problems instantly solved by said teenaged waif? Do the female characters just act like men in drag with no femineity attributed to them or use of alternate problem solving beyond "punch harder!". These are characteristics of "girl boss" versus "Strong female character".
Also not what girl boss means. It's interesting since these days you also see "gaslight" being misused a lot too. So now we just need gatekeep to be misused and we've hit the trinity haha.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Also not what girl boss means. It's interesting since these days you also see "gaslight" being misused a lot too. So now we just need gatekeep to be misused and we've hit the trinity haha.
eh, I think in a film context the way I described the use of the term is appropriate. How would you define it?

DKehoe

eh, I think in a film context the way I described the use of the term is appropriate. How would you define it?
It's about a woman who runs a business and because she's in charge that's inherently better because "yay feminism". It's not about being a princess or leading people into battle, or just generally making men look shitty. It's specifically linked to a woman in a leadership role in business.

Feel free to google girl boss meaning and look at the various pages/articles about it. The AI summary it gives at the top is

uYnNORX.png

Or look up the Wikipedia page. Or the dictionary.com definition or the Meriam Webster one. Where did you get your version of it?

So unless we're talking about her taking over the dwarves' diamond mine and running that, which from what I've seen so far hasn't been the case with the discussion, then it's not really the right use of the word.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Man, I just read a blurb about this film and the scope of what they wanna show, NO WAY they get all that done. Villeneuve is waaaay too languid a director to cover all of her life in one film, nor should anyone want to watch it. Gadot as Cleo would be just as bad though, neither of these actresses have much range. Gal has her "knowing smirk" and Zen has "bratty sis that has to take a shit" and that's about it for both of them.
For the leads they're really going to have to bring it. Actresses like Pfeiffer at her best levels and that just doesn't seem plausible with either. Saying that, Gal's rendition of the Queen's phrase caught my attention as it was very Pfeiffer, but with Jolie's mannerisms. It might come down to who can take direction and bring it out the best. Gal has had time to hone her craft and learn how to learn.

Pompey seems like a recognizable point. I'd like it to have a long preamble(30-45 min) from the establishment of the Ptolemaic cult with Alexander from Orphic cults/Pythagoras. City establishments. Septuagint. Berenice's Hair. Royal rivalries and wars. A real sense for the Graeco-Egyptian culture she inherited. Immersed in royal divine of their spiritual thought. The movie like a cultic conjuring. It might be possible to tell her early life at the same time. As part of her royal education. Put the viewer there. I might not be the only wanting to watch if it has some intrigue mixed in. Afterwards leads into the more well known parts of her story. With that familiarity 5 acts should do it with introducing new stuff.

I wouldn't mind a bit of mystery scripting which follows Bible beats in later parts of the story. Where parallels can be made with Mary Mother of God and Cleopatra, suggesting inspiration for elements of the New Testament for its authors. Caesarion goes to India and learns carpentry, unless they want to go hard and have him crucified right away and suggest damnatio memoriae. Something along those lines anyway.

Villeneuve seems the more likely to deliver. But Zendaya hasn't impressed me as an actress either. She's barely better than Delevingne. If she comes in with a Dune performance it'll likely ruin the film with her lead, as Dune barely survived her. Hopefully pressure gets him to rethink the casting, or she has another level of acting in her. I like the idea of a younger actress that can be aged down and up for something of that scope, if that's V's idea. It's unique.

Mistake

Gold Member
It's about a woman who runs a business and because she's in charge that's inherently better because "yay feminism". It's not about being a princess or leading people into battle, or just generally making men look shitty. It's specifically linked to a woman in a leadership role in business.

Feel free to google girl boss meaning and look at the various pages/articles about it. The AI summary it gives at the top is

uYnNORX.png

Or look up the Wikipedia page. Or the dictionary.com definition or the Meriam Webster one. Where did you get your version of it?

So unless we're talking about her taking over the dwarves' diamond mine and running that, which from what I've seen so far hasn't been the case with the discussion, then it's not really the right use of the word.
The feminism aspect of it is a lot more encompassing than your sources care to admit, but the dictionary.com one comes closest. I'm with J jason10mm on this one. I mean....simply putting girl and boss together as one word says enough in itself. Imagine using the term "manboss." How cringe

Last edited:

DKehoe

The feminism aspect of it is a lot more encompassing than your sources care to admit, but the dictionary.com one comes closest. I'm with J jason10mm on this one. I mean....simply putting girl and boss together as one word says enough in itself. Imagine using the term "manboss." How cringe
So which sources would you use instead? I was just grabbing a couple of the first ones I saw from a google search.

With the dictionary.com one, since you said that came closest to your definition is, it does say
Girlboss is a term used to refer to a self-made woman who runs her own company or leads one. The term was used positively at first but is now more commonly used as a negative or ironic term.
As a positive term, girlboss was typically used to describe a woman who was financially successful and who held a high-ranking position at a company, often their own company. In a positive light, girlboss was often used as an empowering term to praise women who succeeded in the face of misogyny in industries usually dominated by men.
As a negative term, girlboss is typically used to describe a woman who views herself as a heroic figure while engaging in the same ruthless and abusive tactics used by powerful businessmen. The term is especially likely to be used in this negative sense if the girlboss is creating a toxic work environment for other female employees.
Based on the negative sense, girlboss is also often used as an ironic term to describe women doing mundane or unimpressive things as if they were empowering things.
In the negative and ironic senses, girlboss is also often used as a verb to mean “to act like a girlboss.”
And there is this bit about where it came from:
Girlboss is a combination of the words girl (“young woman”) and boss. The term refers to a woman who acts as a boss by leading or owning a business.

The term girlboss was popularized by businesswoman Sophia Amoruso in her 2015 book #Girlboss. In the book, Amoruso uses the term girlboss to refer to herself and generally to refer to any self-made woman who started her own successful business. For the next several years, girlboss was mostly used as a positive, empowering term to refer to female CEOs and other women in positions of power in the business world.

Over time people began to argue that the term and concept of a girlboss were being used to mask abusive business tactics as benevolent feminism, including by Amoruso herself.

A negative sense of girlboss became especially popular when it began to be used in the “Gaslight, Gatekeep, Girlboss” meme that emerged in 2021. The meme ironically uses girlboss alongside the negative terms gatekeep and gaslight to suggest that powerful women and men are creating toxic workplaces while disguising it as female empowerment.

This meme and other negative uses of girlboss also caused it to be used ironically to describe silly, boring, or embarrassing acts done by women as being examples of empowerment.

Today, the negative and ironic senses of girlboss are much more commonly used than the positive one.
So it is keeping it quite specifically within the world of business. So I don't see how it would apply to a fantasy princess. Maybe she takes over the diamond mine and makes a bunch of the dwarves redundant as part of a streamlining process? I can't imagine that would bode well for Sleepy! I guess we'll see when the film comes out.

Yeh the idea of a manboss is sort of inherently silly in comparison, which is kinda how it works and where the distinction comes in. And as the dictionary.com definition says it's about how a girl boss and a regular boss, which I guess would be a man boss, aren't really all that different for the people working for that boss.

Sleepwalker

I haven't cared for snow white since... never?

Its a story for children and even then growing up it was a story mostly for girls.

jason10mm

Gold Member

uYnNORX.png

The term has a related context for film and is pretty often used as I described it. Same with video games. No need to be obtuse about it, language evolves. While the term originated in business, it means more now in context.

Or do you refue to use any colloquial term out of the very specific original meaning?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I really don't get the hate Rachel Zegler is getting. She looks just like the Snow White from the original animation film. And the dwarfs are fucking dwarfs. What is there to complain about before seeing it?
The complaint is about the behavior of the actress, which she is hateful.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
idk it looks okay... you can tell they went back and reworked somethings. She has far too much ... um Attitude??? to be like the original snow white, but it could still be fun.
At least up until she saves the lives of the woodsman, prince, all seven dwarfs, and the kingdom. lol :messenger_tears_of_joy:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
In the trailer, which is more than 1 minute long, Rachel Zegler appears as Snow White with her signature bob hairstyle, surrounded by the 7 dwarfs. Zegler revealed that in this version, the famous Disney princess will not be saved by a prince but dreams of becoming a leader who is fearless, brave and loyal.

Source

Cultural vandalism of German folklore.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Cultural vandalism of German folklore.
Basically the gist of it. It's one thing to take the Snow White story, alter all the germanic trappings and the setting, and then cast what you want. It's another to keep alllllllllll the cultural stuff but then say "hey, diversity!" with the casting. Zeigler isn't the most egregious of casting all things considered but the actress ain't helping things with her attitude. How much "fixing" they've had to do versus some of that early stuff is hard to say but seems like Disney has had to drop quite a bit on this flick and do a looooot of damage control and the overall prospects of this movie seem a little dim but we'll see.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Basically the gist of it. It's one thing to take the Snow White story, alter all the germanic trappings and the setting, and then cast what you want. It's another to keep alllllllllll the cultural stuff but then say "hey, diversity!" with the casting. Zeigler isn't the most egregious of casting all things considered but the actress ain't helping things with her attitude. How much "fixing" they've had to do versus some of that early stuff is hard to say but seems like Disney has had to drop quite a bit on this flick and do a looooot of damage control and the overall prospects of this movie seem a little dim but we'll see.

Well, they did the same thing with Maleficent and that movie did WELL! They ditched the Prince to save the Princess and made the villain of the original animated movie the hero...

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Well, they did the same thing with Maleficent and that movie did WELL! They ditched the Prince to save the Princess and made the villain of the original animated movie the hero...
Of course. That's been a thing at Disney for years now. We gotta make these female villains actually heroes or just misunderstood. It was a man all along that made them this way.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Of course. That's been a thing at Disney for years now. We gotta make these female villains actually heroes or just misunderstood. It was a man all along that made them this way.

My point is, it can be done well or poorly. Maleficent was done well. Let's see how this one does.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

If Disney had called this one Condescending Girl Boss and the Seven Magical Creatures I doubt it would be pulling anywhere near the level of vitriol. The problem is that it's a subversion of a classic, intended to replace it for a new generation, instead of standing on its own like Maleficent.

Where are all the female Dwarves?
I pictue squirrels in cammo with tiny machine guns.
I think there is a game about that getting released soon.

calistan

If Disney had called this one Condescending Girl Boss and the Seven Magical Creatures I doubt it would be pulling anywhere near the level of vitriol. The problem is that it's a subversion of a classic, intended to replace it for a new generation, instead of standing on its own like Maleficent.
I hope they don't promote this as the 'official' Snow White. The original film is nearly 90 years old though, and the story has been revised many times over the centuries. Even the Brothers Grimm version is an edit of older tales.

Actually, all of these classic fairytales have been revised and repeatedly toned down for whatever passed as a 'modern' audience at the time.

In an older version of Cinderella, the stepmother cuts off parts of her daughters' feet to make them fit the slipper, and when Cinderella finally marries the prince she summons birds to peck out the crippled sisters' eyes as a final act of revenge.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That snow white movie with that twilight chick had the problem. The queen was Charlize Theron
They should have one of the overly surgerized actresses, a bit past her prime, be the queen. Sandra Bullock would be my vote, as evil step-mom she could play against type as "America's sweetheart" and she does look altered. Julia Roberts would be another good choice, she is a powerhouse actress when she wants to be.

Maybe not for Disney, but a fun take on Snow White would be to set in the world of plastic surgery, fillers, and botox.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I actually like it. It's what grown men should be doing BEFORE a woman enters their home... Not wait for a woman to do household chores for them... Because in the OG toon, their home was a mess before she came in.

They all just look like they're smitten with her.
you should not be a slob.... They certainly are in the story. But I can understand not wanting to clean up after working all day.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The creators of this junk don’t understand real leadership. Leadership is a function of service. You become a leader by stepping up and handling things, taking on burdens of those around you. It’s a position other people want you to be in because you make the outcomes better and they trust you to put in all the extra work and consideration so that they can focus on their chunk of the task.

What it is NOT, is standing around arrogantly issuing girlboss orders while doing nothing, after those people already helped you.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I mean, it looks bad. But not any worse than all of the other trash live action Disney remakes.

Top Bottom