• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

Sadist said:
Okay, the puzzle is really confusing. FFFFUUUUUU

Where is the logic?

Couldn't find it myself, so I got lucky by finding the other solution I mentioned.

But in general I found the Lonesome Manor to be one of the better designed levels, it had a nice flow to it.

JRW

Darn wish I would've found this gremlin, I solved the painting puzzle with a lot of trial and error but don't know if I could detail the solution without doing it again lol.

But If I remember correctly I
started with the ceiling raised UP all the way and focused on one painting at a time, use spin move to set the bottom portion of painting, lower ceiling one notch and spin move the middle section and finally lower it all the way and set top portion, start over and repeat steps for each painting. I dont think using thinner to get behind the paintings is needed at all and only made things confusing.

Sadist

Found the Gremlin :D

But now I'm at a bossbattle

Well, I have to disable one generator. Other two were taken out by Gremlins and I have no idea how to destroy it. It's on the right of the Mad Doctor btw.

Sadist said:
Found the Gremlin :D

But now I'm at a bossbattle

Well, I have to disable one generator. Other two were taken out by Gremlins and I have no idea how to destroy it. It's on the right of the Mad Doctor btw.

you have to destroy the Beetkeworx in the area, then the generator will open it's doors, and then you have to thin out the red eye. There to be a secondary way to win this fightnby lowerning then tracks and sending the train int the face of the Mad Doctor.

I figure that is possible if you found all the Gremlins and helped the marble statue figure heads thatnwerenspread throughout the castle.

And holy fuck what a cliff hanger after the credits, so much potential for the sequel

Wizpig

Here we go!

14d06d807122d173824241956975731d.jpg

Sadist said:
Hmmm...

Can you beat all the Beetleworks? Those two big robots seem unbeatable, except for one

The one with two cannons? When you thin it out, it becomes stationary and starts to rotate while shooting. When it has its back to you, there is a glowing green spot you can attack with your spin-move.

Same goes for the pirates. You can beat them all, but you just need to beat one type which forces the generator to start back up and spit a new one out, when that happens, it is your time to strike.

Kandinsky

Vinterbird said:
You might wanna adjust those expectations a bit
Dont worry Im fine, only games I ever get overhyped by are online FFs and Zeldas :p, this game tho I know will be a sweet ride, can't wait :D

The Rizza

Okay, aside from the gameplay, what's the rest of the game like? Are there a lot of extras? What's the fan-service like? It seems like there is so much stuff that they could have put in this game and I love everything Disney so this game, even if the gameplay isn't that good, really interests me.

Yoshi256

Banned
Yes, Amazon sent my copy. :)
The stupid name (Micky Epic) bothers me, perhaps I print out the American cover of the game.:lol

Anyone want to link me to the Skull Island theme? I like from what I've heard of it in the E3 videos. :)

So, no spoilers, is there anything of Disney like from the recent years? I remember one of the prototype shots back in October showing Scar on a stain-glass window, of course Hades' head is on the Beetleworx robot that was shown then as well. But anything more substantial?

Sadist

Aaaand completed it.

Overall, I'm pretty happy about Epic Mickey. I've seen awesome Disney stuff, had a ton of fun while fighting off certain villains and the last few hours are great. (Allthough, the final stretch has some cheep deaths) Yes, Spector and Junction Point delivered a game with a flaw here and there, but the positive far more outweighs the negative stuff. I'd say it's Mickey's big return as a star.

A solid 8.5 in my book.

Ending spoilers

The ending suggests a "part 2" yes please. And daaaw endearing how Oswald and Mickey become friends.

Sadist said:
Aaaand completed it.

Overall, I'm pretty happy about Epic Mickey. I've seen awesome Disney stuff, had a ton of fun while fighting off certain villains and the last few hours are great. (Allthough, the final stretch has some cheep deaths) Yes, Spector and Junction Point delivered a game with a flaw here and there, but the positive far more outweighs the negative stuff. I'd say it's Mickey's big return as a star.

A solid 8.5 in my book.

Ending spoilers

The ending suggests a "part 2" yes please. And daaaw endearing how Oswald and Mickey become friends.

Its the ending awesome? I mean, does the story deliver?
EDIT: Fuck! I nearly saw the spoiler quoting your post :lol

farnham

Banned
Sadist said:
Aaaand completed it.

A solid 8.5 in my book.

Ending spoilers

man i was worried after the vinterbook and ieatchildren impressions but looks like it isnt that bad.

Hiltz

What do you think of the game's music ? I heard some good tracks on Youtube which sounded great but how it actually in the game ? Does it sound Disney-ish ? Does it fit in well with the themes of the levels ? Memorable ?

Is the story paper thin or is it slightly deeper than expected ?

Sadist

The story delivers in the Disney way yes.

Hiltz said:
What do you think of the game's music ? I heard some good tracks on Youtube which sounded great but how it actually in the game ? Does it sound Disney-ish ? Does it fit in well with the themes of the levels ? Memorable ?

Is the story paper thin or is it slightly deeper than expected ?
Music is one the best things about this game. The sound is totally Disney and while walking around Mean Street for instance is fantastic. Other levels within the game, same. Music during cutscenes are fun aswell. And to me, it sounds like Junction Point gave every level the right type of music.

The story isn't very deep, but it's very Disney and that's what makes it so cool.

Hiltz

Thanks for the replying so quickly.

I'm excited but also skeptical now that you guys have so kindly informed us on all of what the game is really like.

I switched my Wii to a different TV and now the entire game is in black and white.

In my opinion, it looks better. The game doesn't have a great use of color anyway and the black and white really pops. I'll probably finish it like this and play it again in color.

JRW

Just finished the
Shadow Blot boss fight in MickeyJunk Mountain and the cutscene that plays afterward was hilarious, I used paint instead of thinner when fighting him, not sure what it shows when you use thinner.

JRW

ProTip on Mean Street:
I knew the usher in front of the movie theater gives you rewards for collecting film reels... but what I didn't realise is he doesn't give you everything you've earned when pressing A one time. especially if you don't visit him often.

I have 29 reels and just now I kept pressing A in front of him after he gave me a reward, he gave me a new reward each time until after about 6 times he finally said come back when you have more reels, He gave me various pins, a max capacity increase on my Health, The Watch & TV sketch's in the process

Sadist said:
Aaaand completed it.

A solid 8.5 in my book.

Ending spoilers

Good to know the game's not that bad. It doesn't sound like it'll be Mario galaxy quality, but I think we should blame Warren Spector for over-hyping it. Hopefully he'll see the criticism and create an improved sequel fixing the mistakes made in the first.

JohngPR

Square Triangle said:
The shipment of the CE came, it's complete utter garbage. The box and shrink wrap is really cheap =(
Can you post some pics of it, please? Curious to see some real pics of it.

Hiltz

Cow Mengde said:
Good to know the game's not that bad. It doesn't sound like it'll be Mario galaxy quality, but I think we should blame Warren Spector for over-hyping it. Hopefully he'll see the criticism and create an improved sequel fixing the mistakes made in the first.

Why do I have a bad feeling that Epic Mickey is going to sell below expectations? It would be such a welcomed change for a big and good third-party core exclusive title to not bomb on the Wii this year. With the exception of Monster Hunter Tri, I can't think of any other game that was a commercial success, regardless of whether it was AAA title or smaller budget game. Don't say Red Steel 1 because it wasn't a good game. de Blob and perhaps even No More Heroes are questionable. Well, there is RE: Umbrella Chronicles which sold over a million but I can't say whether the quality of the game was good or not having never played it. Not sure about Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, given how Capcom seemed to have kept mostly quiet about the overall sales and probably had low expectations (come on, we all know they really released it because the fans wanted it so badly).

Of course, Capcom was probably expecting much better sales of Tri worldwide despite the niche appeal of the franchise. I mean, for being one, if not the most, marketed game on the Wii, Tri sales were fairly underwhelming. Japan only sold 1 million copies (the one place where it is most popular.. despite the franchise really being a success on the PSP) and fell off the charts very fast. Overseas sales weren't much of a big deal, I believe the last confirmed sales were 600k between North America and Europe. It's just sad that there's really been no third-party Wii game that's managed to reach two million in sales.

I don't even know if the power of the Disney brand combined with best time for video game monthly sales is enough to make Epic Mickey a commercial success. How terrible would if be for Wii owners to watch Warren Spector and Disney announce Epic Mickey 2 as a multiplatform title for the the 360 and PS3? Heck, or even port Epic Mickey to PS3 Move ? Warren would be like "Wii owners, you had your chance!"

legend166

Hiltz said:
Why do I have a bad feeling that Epic Mickey is going to sell below expectations? It would be such a welcomed change for a big and good third-party core exclusive title to not bomb on the Wii this year. With the exception of Monster Hunter Tri, I can't think of any other game that was a commercial success, regardless of whether it was AAA title or smaller budget game. Don't say Red Steel 1 because it wasn't a good game. de Blob and perhaps even No More Heroes are questionable.

Of course, Capcom was probably expecting much better sales of Tri worldwide despite the niche appeal of the franchise. I mean, for being one, if not the most, marketed game on the Wii, Tri sales were fairly underwhelming. Japan only sold 1 million copies (the one place where it is most popular.. despite the franchise really being a success on the PSP) and fell off the charts very fast. Overseas sales weren't much of a big deal, I believe the last confirmed sales were 600k between North America and Europe. It's just sad that there's really been no third-party Wii game that's managed to reach two million in sales.

I don't even know if the power of the Disney brand combined with best time for video game monthly sales is enough to make Epic Mickey a commercial success. How terrible would if be for Wii owners to watch Warren Spector and Disney announce Epic Mickey 2 as a multiplatform title for the the 360 and PS3? Heck, or even port Epic Mickey to PS3 Move ? Warren would be like "Wii owners, you had your chance!"

That's really just not true at all.

Hiltz

legend166 said:
That's really just not true at all.

I should correct that. I meant, to say what I said in the first paragraph with a big and good third-party core exclusive title.

Of course, there have been some third-party games that have sold close to or more than 2 million copies. However, most of them are from franchises that most of us don't give a rat's behind about like Just Dance (2 million or more) , Carnival Games (6 million) , Mario & Sonic Olympics (7 million, the sequel apparently sold around 5.6 million) , EA Sports Active (1.8 million), and DECA Sports (2 million). I'm not sure if any of the Lego series have sold close to or past two million. Heck, throw in multiplatform titles like Guitar Hero if any of them have sold enough.

Yeah, I'd love to get some impressions specifically on the CE bundle.

I've still got a couple of days to decide whether or not to get it or the regular edition off of Amazon.

Sadist said:
Aaaand completed it.

A solid 8.5 in my book.

Ending spoilers

Lets discuss the ending!

I really like that they touch upon Mickey being part Blot. Characters keep mentioning it to him, but they never went anywhere with it during the story, so it was nice to see it come back around for the after-credits scene, and it could mean an interesting sequel with a cross over of Wasteland and Disney World as we know it.

What ending did you get? Did you fix every animatronic and so on? And did you go to the top of the Firestation in Mean Street?

MYE

heringer said:
You sound awfully sure for someone who cancelled his pre-order a few hours ago. :lol

(I know you pre ordered again, but still :p)

Moment of weakness :lol

I went on a mini-blackout but started watching some videos and the ost of the game after i cancelled the pre-order and yeah, i'l like it :p

Tried it at best buy and I must say, I really like how mickey controls. I was a bit worried that it would feel sloppy, but surprisingly he feels really nice. Thought it looked good as well :D

MYE

Sadist said:
Aaaand completed it.

A solid 8.5 in my book.

Ending spoilers

How long did it take you to finish it?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MYE said:
How long did it take you to finish it?

Game is ~12 hours I'd say, give or take depending on the speed you play and how much you do.

Top Bottom