• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Vinterbird said:
I wish we could break the embargo now and just talk openly, or at least more openly, because I really don't know how to feel about this game right now.

Same :lol.

Peff

Yeah, I think DK is the safer choice for most people, given the praise it's getting. Even from videos it's easy to see the lack of polish in Epic Mickey in jumping mechanics, camera and collision detection, plus some really baffling design decisions like not letting you enter the actual worlds after you've finished them or forcing you to go back and forth the pointless 2D levels to complete several missions. I think the local shops are getting their shipments today so I hope it's just more noticeable when watching rather than playing.

AniHawk

EatChildren said:
My expectations are fine. Every problem I have with the game so far comes down to downright sloppy and unpolished design and fundamental mechanics. It doesn't need to be Galaxy level of platforming, but it does need to be polished. This isn't.

Do you prefer Sonic Colors or Epic Mickey?

farnham

Banned
From what ive seen so far my main worries are the camera. It looks all over the place and a 3 D platformer with shitty camera is not enjoyable no matter what.

Yoshi256

Banned
Brief summary of a post in a german gaming board:

He played it six hours so far and really liked it.

- There's a lot of Sunshine and Galaxy in it, but it's not that polished

- There's also a lot of Spector in it in terms of making decisions and influencing the world

- Graphics remembers him on Nightmare before Christmas

- You can be an evil Mickey Mouse from the beginning on

- Complex boss battles

- Cool story

- Great 2D-levels

- Nice design, that clouds the technical limitations of the Wii

I assume that it's more a 8,5 game than 9,5 game, but that's fine for me.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm just looking for a game with some imagination. I'll take clunky platforming if I have to.

Yoshi256 said:
Brief summary of a post in a german gaming board:

He played it six hours so far and really liked it.

- There's a lot of Sunshine and Galaxy in it, but it's not that polished

- There's also a lot of Spector in it in terms of making decisions and influencing the world

- Graphics remembers him on Nightmare before Christmas

- You can be an evil Mickey Mouse from the beginning on

- Complex boss battles

- Cool story

- Great 2D-levels

- Nice design, that clouds the technical limitations of the Wii

I assume that it's more a 8,5 game than 9,5 game, but that's fine for me.

Can't say I agree on a lot of that, seems like it is a milage may vary situation.

Amir0x

Banned
Ah damn i thought this would salvage my Wii gaming for the end year. I hope you guys are just wrong. I want to trust in Warren >_<

MYE

Ushojax said:
I'm just looking for a game with some imagination. I'll take clunky platforming if I have to.

THIS. I love the setting, the characters and the idea behind it.

I put up with The Simpsons Game's terrible camera and still managed to enjoy the game quite a bit because i'm a huge Simpsons-tard.

I just cancelled my preorder but i'm already thinking about making a new one :lol

Not being up to Mario Galaxy standards is a given. No game is. I just want to know this, is it charming. Does it have the Disney Magic™?
If so, i'm in.

MYE said:
THIS. I love the setting, the characters and the idea behind it.

I put up with The Simpsons Game's terrible camera and still managed to enjoy the game quite a bit because i'm a huge Simpsons-tard.

I just cancelled my preorder but i'm already thinking about making a new one :lol

Not being up to Mario Galaxy standards is a given. No game is. I just want to know this, is it charming. Does it have the Disney Magic™?
If so, i'm in.

It is twisted as all fuck, and one level in particular is downright disturbing. It is not the typical Disney colorful magic world of everything happy, it is a dark dark game.

Eteric Rice

From what I've read on /v/, it's more akin to Banjo Kazooie than something like Galaxy. It's more of an exploration game.

I think some people may have had their expectations to high. But that's just me.

Eteric Rice said:
From what I've read on /v/, it's more akin to Banjo Kazooie than something like Galaxy. It's more of an exploration game.

I think some people may have had their expectations to high. But that's just me.

It's a mix of Banjo and Mario 64, in terms of being janky, camera problems and level design that feels like they crammed way to much geometry into a place.

Busty

Banned
I'll be honest. I liked what I saw of this game at E3 but it's not really a game I'm interested in.

However, when I read the thread title (the bannings) I was in here faster than a stabbed rat. :D

JADS

Vinterbird said:
It is twisted as all fuck, and one level in particular is downright disturbing. It is not the typical Disney colorful magic world of everything happy, it is a dark dark game.

Mickey Junkmountain?

Amir0x said:
Ah damn i thought this would salvage my Wii gaming for the end year. I hope you guys are just wrong. I want to trust in Warren >_<

It has it's moments, but like Vinterbird said it is a milage may vary situation. I am enjoying the game even with it's faults. For me it's a 7-7.5 game, not perfect but not bad either. Without spoiling too much here are two of my favourite levels so far (8 hours on the clock):

dolphin2010-11-2012-01nowp.jpg

dolphin2010-11-2015-49ipcd.jpg

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I can't see anything wrong in being like Banjo-Kazooie at all. It's important if it's comparably good, if yes, it's awesome. Of course the game won't be able to compete with SMG on SMGs playfield, being more akin to Banjo is no reason to be disappointed imo. Having bad design or imprecise controls is, thoigh.

LM4sure said:
How the hell do they still have an embargo in place if the game is out in certain countries? That worries me.

Because some shops doesn't care about sale-embargoes, which hurts us reviewers who have to stick to a certain date. Since it also gives people the chance to pirate the game to hell and back lessing the reviews.

Nose Master said:
This game is pretty wretched. The platforming feels like Kingdom Hearts, for fucks sake :lol

OK I'm out!

Got too many other games to be playing this week and next. I may think about this game again if I see it going cheap.

Myriadis

Eteric Rice said:

Perfect.I could even live with a bad camera,I mean,I played Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon and I still loved it although the camera is really bad.I just need to get a Wii,and I think I won't get one soon.

Yoshi256

Banned
whatevermort said:
When is the embargo up for international reviews etc?

Not before next week, but Eurogamer and IGN UK review should be online in a few days, as well as a lot of other European reviews.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Banjo Kazooie comparisons? Kingdom Hearts platforming?! Very disappointing. I really thought this could have been something special.

Well to the detractors their comments are something to consider however watching that stream awhile was more than enough for me. Waiting upon release to play.

Yoshi256

Banned
dark10x said:
Banjo Kazooie comparisons? Kingdom Hearts platforming?! Very disappointing. I really thought this could have been something special.

It is definitely special, but no masterpiece.

WillyFive

I have been disappointed with the production values. For people saying this is the first "AAA" third party game, it's quite low on the Wii list of "AAA" feeling third party games.

Especially compared to other third party games like Sonic Colors, Goldeneye, Monster Hunter Tri, Tales of Graces, Okami, Klonoa, Bully, Godfather, Red Steel 2, and such, Epic Mickey is not that impressive in terms of production values. It's unpolished and cheap.

Compare the production of Epic Mickey and Kingdom Hearts 1, and you will see what Epic Mickey is missing.

HOWEVER

The gameplay is far and beyond what I expected from this game. I expected something simple with RPG mechanics like The Crystal Bearers, but we got something like Banjo-Kazooie and DK64! That is awesome!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Willy105 said:
The gameplay is far and beyond what I expected from this game. I expected something simple with RPG mechanics like The Crystal Bearers, but we got something like Banjo-Kazooie and DK64! That is awesome!

Nose Master said:
This game is pretty wretched. The platforming feels like Kingdom Hearts, for fucks sake :lol

I'm not aware of any US stores selling the game early, you're both Americans, and you're not reviewers (or if you are, you're embargoed). I already posted a warning earlier on in the thread. If you didn't buy the game, don't post impressions.

Eteric Rice

Compare the production of Epic Mickey and Kingdom Hearts 1, and you will see what Epic Mickey is missing.

Not really surprised by this. Warren Spector's games have never really been graphical beasts from what I've seen.

WillyFive

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not aware of any US stores selling the game early, you're both Americans, and you're not reviewers (or if you are, you're embargoed). I already posted a warning earlier on in the thread. If you didn't buy the game, don't post impressions.

Don't worry, I haven't played it. I am going with what people are saying here.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
People doing the whole "Oh but its Banjo-Kazooie not Mario Galaxy!" thing are missing the point of the criticisms.

I will say, Mickeyjunk Mountain was fucking awesome from a nostalgia point of view. Like, frothing at the mouth oh god its everywhere degree of awesome.

Willy105 said:
I have been disappointed with the production values. For people saying this is the first "AAA" third party game, it's quite low on the Wii list of "AAA" feeling third party games.

Especially compared to other third party games like Sonic Colors, Goldeneye, Monster Hunter Tri, Tales of Graces, Okami, Klonoa, Bully, Godfather, Red Steel 2, and such, Epic Mickey is not that impressive in terms of production values. It's unpolished and cheap

Have you really seen videos of this game? How can you even compare this game to games like Klonoa or Bully?

EatChildren

dark10x said:
OK, enlighten me.

I cant :lol. I really do need to watch how much I talk about. I should probably shut up now. Sorry :p.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
EatChildren said:
I cant :lol. I really do need to watch how much I talk about. I should probably shut up now. Sorry :p.
Ha ha, that's right.

Here's what I take from those comparison to Banjo and Kingdom Hearts that concerns me. To me, that makes it seem as if the game involves large open environments which you navigate with second rate platforming mechanics while repeating a task of some sort (whether it's collecting something or tossing paint onto surfaces). It seems to take that aimless approach to platforming rather than the focused style of Mario.

The reason why this concerns me is that I dislike platform games that feature open, often boring environments especially when the controls are so basic and unsatisfying to use. I very much dislike Banjo and Kingdom Hearts and the type of platforming and combat in both is part of the reason for that.

Then there are 2D platforming sections, which seem more interesting to me, but do not appear to make up most of the game.

Basically, from what I've read and what I've seen, the game looks quite boring. If it does not, in fact, involve aimless wandering around an open environment with weak platforming mechanics, I may become interested again.

Have you really seen videos of this game? How can you even compare this game to games like Klonoa or Bully?
Klonoa is fantastic and is likely to be a vastly superior game to Epic Mickey, from what I can tell.

WillyFive

Bel Marduk said:

Have you read my post? I am talking about production values. Build quality. It's always easy to be offended by a post when you don't read the whole thing and think it means something different.

Top Bottom