• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

one_kill said:
To those that have finished it or close to finishing it, would you guys replay it again?

Maybe.

I get the feeling that the choices you do are very much in a closed space. The choices do not affect the story, characters, levels or other important things. The story is very linear, and the choices you do only affect small instances in levels, or how you choose to complete a level.

From what I can see, there are three things in the game which you can somehow change, but it has no effect on the story, only changes what clip you get in the end during the "you completed the game video". It's very much like Fallout 3 in that case.

I might go back, just to see how differently I can do some areas, and explore some of the alternate routes I didn't do during my initial play through.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Replay value is hinged on how much of a Disney fan you are, how badly you want to collect everything, and whether or not you want to see the ending. As Vinterbird said, the decisions you make in the game don't make a big impact on the adventure, but do pan out in the end cutscene, and like Fallout will show a montage of some of the most important decisions and how they played out.

EatChildren said:
Replay value is hinged on how much of a Disney fan you are, how badly you want to collect everything, and whether or not you want to see the ending. As Vinterbird said, the decisions you make in the game don't make a big impact on the adventure, but do pan out in the end cutscene, and like Fallout will show a montage of some of the most important decisions and how they played out.

Did you collect 30 power sparks and get the best easter egg in the game?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
one_kill said:
Thanks for the comments! I'm still not sure if I want to get this tomorrow so I'll probably wait for reviews.

Embargo is up tomorrow so you should have a wealth of reviews available then.

Yoshi256

Banned
The oldest German gaming magazine (M!Games) gave it 87%, a quite decent score.

What about the replay value? Does it pay off to play it twice?

Yoshi256 said:
The oldest German gaming magazine (M!Games) gave it 87%, a quite decent score.

What about the replay value? Does it pay off to play it twice?

As mentioned a few posts up. There is not that much that will change in terms of decision making in a second play.

EatChildren

Vinterbird said:
As mentioned a few posts up. There is not that much that will change in terms of decision making in a second play.

Yeah, its not like an RPG where playing it differently will drastically alter the game's progression. The major decisions decide the kind of ending you will get.

MYE

Dear *****************

We thought you would like to know that the following items have been successfully processed and will shortly be dispatched to you by Royal Mail First Class post.

EPICMWII Disney Epic Mickey (Wii)

FUCKING FINALLY!

EatChildren

Yoshi256 said:
Does the gameplay alter if you play as evil Mickey?

Not really, no. Not until the end cutscene.

EatChildren said:
Not really, no. Not until the end cutscene.

All the Scrapper/Hero stuff from the reveal has been scrapped. There's just Mickey and the way you decide to tackle progress in the level, no consequences in terms of "Bad Mickey" or "Good Mickey". It's not like Mass Effect or most RPG's where you get points in either side, it is just actions you do.

EatChildren

Vinterbird said:
All the Scrapper/Hero stuff from the reveal has been scrapped. There's just Mickey and the way you decide to tackle progress in the level, no consequences in terms of "Bad Mickey" or "Good Mickey". It's not like Mass Effect or most RPG's where you get points in either side, it is just actions you do.

Yeah, this. Its not like if you chose to do something the game will be turned upside down. Its mostly boils down to stuff like "Do you want to erase them, or befriend them?", and maybe befriending them will give you access to some kind of collectible treasure. Its pretty basic.

Peff

Well, there is also the paint/thinner upgrade stuff, but I'm not sure if you can actually get them all for one of them. Not that they're all that useful anyway given that you can't run out of either.

Peff said:
Well, there is also the paint/thinner upgrade stuff, but I'm not sure if you can actually get them all for one of them. Not that they're all that useful anyway given that you can't run out of either.

Having a large amount only really is useful during the final 30 minutes of the game, where you have to spray a shit ton of paint/thinner.

EatChildren

Vinterbird said:
Having a large amount only really is useful during the final 30 minutes of the game, where you have to spray a shit ton of paint/thinner.

And even then it automatically refills some when you deplete it.

EatChildren said:
And even then it automatically refills some when you deplete it.

Yeah, health might be the only concern for that area, especially the
non-killable essence of toons running around

Also,
did you find that the sketches mechanic really wasn't useful? I think I used them three times in combat or so, and once for platforming, trying to stack a tv onto an anvil to reach something

EatChildren

Vinterbird said:
Yeah, health might be the only concern for that area, especially the
non-killable essence of toons running around

Also,
did you find that the sketches mechanic really wasn't useful? I think I used them three times in combat or so, and once for platforming, trying to stack a tv onto an anvil to reach something

Yeah the sketches (I wouldn't consider them a spoiler) were weak. A good idea mostly under used. They came about far too late into the adventure. I think they should have been introduced early on, along with the paint and thinner, to form a basis for the rest of the gameplay.

My review wont be up for a few hours as it needs to be validated, but I'm pretty sure I'm no longer under embargo.

EatChildren said:
Yeah the sketches (I wouldn't consider them a spoiler) were weak. A good idea mostly under used. They came about far too late into the adventure. I think they should have been introduced early on, along with the paint and thinner, to form a basis for the rest of the gameplay.

My review wont be up for a few hours as it needs to be validated, but I'm pretty sure I'm no longer under embargo.

We're no longer under embargo? Fuck, I better need to finish up my review then.

EatChildren

Vinterbird said:
We're no longer under embargo? Fuck, I better need to finish up my review then.

I was told 25th! Oh god I hope I'm right!

Sadist

Vinterbird said:
Lets discuss the ending!

I really like that they touch upon Mickey being part Blot. Characters keep mentioning it to him, but they never went anywhere with it during the story, so it was nice to see it come back around for the after-credits scene, and it could mean an interesting sequel with a cross over of Wasteland and Disney World as we know it.

What ending did you get? Did you fix every animatronic and so on? And did you go to the top of the Firestation in Mean Street?
Yeah, the Blot thing is a big plus in my book. I'd love to see Oswald and Mickey in a co-op platformer.

My ending was generally positive (didn't find all the Donald parts) and I didn't go to the top of the fire station.

Personally, I thought some more about the game today and I guess I was a bit to enthousiastic because of the ending, but I'd rate the game a solid 8. It has a few issues to many.

EatChildren

One thing I will say is that it would be a huge shame for the world Warren and co have created in the Wasteland to be ignored by Disney. I love Mickey's resdesign, I love the reimagining of so many Disney locations and chacters, and I really dug the art style of the cinematics.

Artistically, Warren has poured more Disney 'love' in here than near anything Disney themselves have produced in a good while.

EatChildren said:
One thing I will say is that it would be a huge shame for the world Warren and co have created in the Wasteland to be ignored by Disney. I love Mickey's resdesign, I love the reimagining of so many Disney locations and chacters, and I really dug the art style of the cinematics.

Artistically, Warren has poured more Disney 'love' in here than near anything Disney themselves have produced in a good while.

My only problem with the Mickey redesign is that his eyes look so bad when he is running at full speed, it looks so weird to me.

But yes, they need to use Wasteland more. Personally I'm hoping for an all out war against Disney World and Wasteland in the sequel, but seeing how the ending shaped up, that won't happen.

Or just a movie/shorts in the cinematics style/credits style.

Edit:

I don't know if anyone will find anything interesting in this, but I did an interview with Warren some time ago, there's some gameplay in the back and him talking about the game in general, might be interesting for some people to watch - http://g-tv.dk/index.php?option=com_seyret&Itemid=22&task=videodirectlink&id=177&lang=da

(we also have an exclusive thing with Suda51 if that is your thing)

EatChildren and Vinterbird, would you say this game is similar in quality to Fallout 3 in that it has an interesting world and quality atmosphere but the actual interaction via gameplay (Combat/platforming) with the game world is lacking? Or do you feel Mickey doesn't reach that level? (I think EC has said a few times that he doesn't like Fallout 3)

EatChildren

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
EatChildren and Vinterbird, would you say this game is similar in quality to Fallout 3 in that it has an interesting world and quality atmosphere but the actual interaction via gameplay (Combat/platforming) with the game world is lacking? Or do you feel Mickey doesn't reach that level? (I think EC has said a few times that he doesn't like Fallout 3)

I didnt like Fallout 3 all that much, so you remember well :lol.

Ummm. To some degree, I would agree with your summary, but they're also different games, so a lot of the saving grace of Fallout 3 isn't present in Mickey. For example, even though I didn't like Fallout 3, the basis for Fallout 3 was wandering the capital wasteland and finding cool new areas to explore and interesting little stories to discover. That I thought was done well. There's really not much of that in Epick Mickey. The art is great, but the game is also pretty linear in terms of freedom of exploration. You can explore hubs and action worlds, but you're basically just going to find treasure, no cool stories or secrets.

But yeah they're completely different games. I think all the hype referring to this as having role playing may throw a few people off, as there's very, very little I would call role playing in this game. Its more of an action adventure.

EatChildren said:
I didnt like Fallout 3 all that much, so you remember well :lol.

Ummm. To some degree, I would agree with your summary, but they're also different games, so a lot of the saving grace of Fallout 3 isn't present in Mickey. For example, even though I didn't like Fallout 3, the basis for Fallout 3 was wandering the capital wasteland and finding cool new areas to explore and interesting little stories to discover. That I thought was done well. There's really not much of that in Epick Mickey. The art is great, but the game is also pretty linear in terms of freedom of exploration. You can explore hubs and action worlds, but you're basically just going to find treasure, no cool stories or secrets.

But yeah they're completely different games. I think all the hype referring to this as having role playing may throw a few people off, as there's very, very little I would call role playing in this game. Its more of an action adventure.

There's one secret worth finding, but yes. It is a very linear game. There is a very set path, and you will see all the content produced in the game. It is not like Deus Ex or other games were you will miss out of entire parts of the game, if you chose to do things a certain way.

It's very much a linear Zelda game with mediocre platforming, and the ability to remove the floor underneath your opponents. It is not an RPG, it is not Deux Ex Disney Edition, it is not an Galaxy beater.

It is a condensed and small sandbox in each level, where you can reach your goal in different ways, with no real consequence on the story or the world afterwards.

EatChildren

I'll shit myself if I've given it the lowest score :lol.

EatChildren said:

You're gonna get blacklisted :p

I was struggling with what score I was going to give it for the past few days, it's really one of instances where no scores is justified.

EatChildren

Vinterbird said:
You're gonna get blacklisted :p

I was struggling with what score I was going to give it for the past few days, it's really one of instances where no scores is justified.

Yeah the scoring was hard, even though I dont think I gave it a low score based on our ratings scale. It was a difficult game to review. I hope everybody interested in it makes sure to read the text (as they always should), and not just look at the scores. People are going to have pretty divided views on this one.

heringer

EatChildren said:
Given that you really praised Goldeneye and still gave it a 7.5, I'm expecting a 5 or something for Epic Mickey. :lol

EatChildren said:
Yeah the scoring was hard, even though I dont think I gave it a low score based on our ratings scale. It was a difficult game to review. I hope everybody interested in it makes sure to read the text (as they always should), and not just look at the scores. People are going to have pretty divided views on this one.

Very. The metacritic on this is gonna be pretty low when all is said and done.

(and lets be honest, no one reads the text unless it is 100 words or less)

EatChildren

heringer said:
Given that you really praised Goldeneye and still gave it a 7.5, I'm expecting a 5 or something for Epic Mickey. :lol

PALGN rating system :p. I like to try and keep everything relative. We generally consider 8/10 still GOTY worthy, and my issues with GoldenEye's multiplayer had to step it back.

That being said, relative to GoldenEye I think my score for Epic Mickey is pretty generous. But I'm a Disney nut, and there was too much awesome Disney splooge to ignore.

Yoshi256

Banned
I installed Thief (it's called Dark Project here in Germany:D ) yesterday after I didn't play it for years. Surprisingly I just had to do two things to run it on Windows 7 (setup.exe -lgntforce to ignore the NT message) and disabling the other CPUs in the task manager.
Well, I hope it's still fun in 2010. :)

Warren Spector said that Epic Mickey is a AAA title, but people say it's not very polished, does it still have high production values?

Yoshi256 said:
I installed Thief (it's called Dark Project here in Germany:D ) yesterday after I didn't play it for years. Surprisingly I just had to do two things to run it on Windows 7 (setup.exe -lgntforce to ignore the NT message) and disabling the other CPUs in the task manager.
Well, I hope it's still fun in 2010. :)

Warren Spector said that Epic Mickey is a AAA title, but people say it's not very polished, does it still have high production values?

If you mean that the game feels like Disney threw a fuckton of money at it? Sure. (note that this does not equal quality)

MYE

I just want to ask one thing. It doesnt look like it is (at all) but would you consider this game to feel "soulless"?

And by this i mean RedSteel2/Ubisoft kind of "soulless". The typical assembly line/shell of a game Ubisoft seems to be a master at creating? Cuz in this case, that would be the deal-breaker for me.

If its charming, imaginative and memorable, i'l eat it up and beg for a sequel.
So far, i'm pretty optimistic :)

Vinterbird said:
If you mean that the game feels like Disney threw a fuckton of money at it? Sure. (note that this does not equal quality)

Damn, you're not taking any chances :lol

MYE said:
I just want to ask one thing. It doesnt look like it is (at all) but would you consider this game to feel "soulless"?

And by this i mean RedSteel2/Ubisoft kind of "soulless". The typical assembly line/shell of a game Ubisoft seems to be a master at creating? Cuz in this case, that would be the deal-breaker for me.

If its charming, imaginative and memorable, i'l eat it up and beg for a sequel.
So far, i'm pretty optimistic :)

My opinion probably doesn't count since I found Red Steel 2 to have some soul.

But this game feels like that every single person involved in this game loves Mickey and Disney very much.

EatChildren

Vinterbird said:
My opinion probably doesn't count since I found Red Steel 2 to have some soul.

But this game feels like that every single person involved in this game loves Mickey and Disney very much.

Agreed with both of those statements.

EatChildren

TEJ said:
Will you be allowed to tell us about what minor characters made it into the game?

I'm pretty sure my embargo is up, as I was told the 25th and it's the 25th here, but I'm going to be careful what I discuss until the review actually goes live, which it wont for a few hours as I figure everybody is in bed :p.

There's quite a few minor characters though. Probably not as many as I was expecting, but still plenty and a few good surprises.

Also, there was one Disney property used that I totally didn't expect.

TEJ

EatChildren said:
I'm pretty sure my embargo is up, as I was told the 25th and it's the 25th here, but I'm going to be careful what I discuss until the review actually goes live, which it wont for a few hours as I figure everybody is in bed :p.

There's quite a few minor characters though. Probably not as many as I was expecting, but still plenty and a few good surprises.

Okay. when the review does go up, can you tell us if goofy if goofy is ever referred to as dippy dawg? His original name. Even a reference to it.

EatChildren

TEJ said:
Okay. when the review does go up, can you tell us if goofy if goofy is ever referred to as dippy dawg? His original name. Even a reference to it.

I dont recall Goofy ever being referred to as Dippy Dawg, sorry. If he was I must have missed it.

Top Bottom