• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

Zachack

EatChildren said:
Not shots taken, nor any offense. I can see your point, but that is mine. I simply dont believe in conforming to the Metacritic age. Even if this might seem unjust and misleading, considering how many people adopt their own perception of 10 point scale rankings, this is still how I chose to operate as a reviewer.
By working for a site that uses a scoring range of any sort, and particularly a 10-point scale, you are conforming to the Metacritic method of score aggregation holding more importance than review content, regardless of whether you want to or not. Attempting to attack the aggregate metrics that Metacritic won't change anything and attempting to illustrate the meaningless of the scales undermines your own reviews in the process. And to be frank I think most publications that claim to use the whole scale eventually find that the method self-destructs when you're suddenly asked to hold to previously established scores as a ranking baseline.

Holy fuck this game is awesome, im in Ostown right now and I nearly shed a tear for the old characters when they explain their stories.
Clarabelle and Horace are really well implemented in the game.

And the hand drawn intros are delicious.

Sadist

I actually laughed during those scenes:

Remember me Mickey? I was one of the main characters in "enter cartoon title a and b"

Mickey responds with a face that says it all :lol

Yoshi256

Banned
I played it now for two hours, the camera sucks and the presentation could be better, but it feels fresh and has a nice atmosphere. So for fans of Disney or the genre definitely a look worth, although it's the lightyears beyond SMG 2.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hatchx said:
Regardless if it's a six or seven, it sounds as if this could be the big disappointment of the year. With the hype and advertising and Spectar-praising I'd expect the lowest scores to be 8-range.
What hype? It seems like the mad-fever pitch that is "Spector-hype" plummeted with the announcement of Wii-exclusivity, and then flatlined when the first batch of screenshots were released.

It makes me wish this was available for the PS3 and 360, if only because Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts threads were filled with people clamoring for a new openish platformer in the "what was fashionable in the 64 days" style. I started playing today and I'm already getting vibes that remind me of my time with that sort of game.

Great review EatChildren. I had a feeling the score would be somewhere around there after reading your impressions. Epic Mickey could be this year's Scribblenauts. A good but flawed game with wildly differing opinions.

antonz

For East Coast Gaf.

NOA has tweeted that Warren Spector himself will be at the new Disney Store in Time Square on the 30th for Epic Mickey release

Been playing it all day and I had a lot of fun, ok, the camera may have problems but it isnt as problematic as to not let me play good.

I love how you can force the scenery to reach places faster.

The last stage ive been is in the mickey rubbish mountain and I liked a lot the platforming there, the
mickey mouse club march in the music
and the
stages and intro of Oswald talking to Mickey.

And the music in the Oswald cartoon stages is great.

EDarkness

Was this game released early or something? I received my copy in the mail a little while ago, but I was sure it wasn't going to be released until next week. Anyway, I think this is gonna be one of those love/hate games, but it's Spector so I'm not surprised at all. Not sure which way I'm leaning at the moment, but I do like the look of it.

antonz said:
For East Coast Gaf.

NOA has tweeted that Warren Spector himself will be at the new Disney Store in Time Square on the 30th for Epic Mickey release

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. That makes me want to go but I know it will be packed to hell and back. :(

6,5 really does sound ugly, not only in this Metacritic time, it sounded bad in the early 90s as well. Doesn´t matter, i will play the game for myself. And i don´t know the website at all, never heard of it before :lol: But the written text is not to bad, it only doesn`t fit what people expect from 6,5.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
apana said:
I think people are over reacting to this number.

Such is the ways of the internet :lol.

Reviews are just guides to one persons opinion. If people are still unsure after reading the content, either wait for more opinions, or try the game for yourselves.

The power is yours.

Think of the number given as being similar to what EDGE might give.

So 6.5 for Epic Mickey?

EDGE gave Donkey Kong Country Returns and New Super Mario Bros Wii a 7/10

If the 6.5 really bothers you guys that much, just think of it as an 8. Going by the scale on the site, it pretty much is one by other website standards.

Would've checked it out eariler today when I was picking up GT5 at Best Buy, but some pig wouldn't leave the Wii kiosk. He just stood there, with a line of people behind him.

November 30th, here I come!

one_kill said:
That 9/10 was biased though. Plus I don't think any 3D platformer this generation could top SMG2 :lol

I only played SMG1 (want to play SMG2 though) and I thought the game was solid but not that special (love the environments though.) I feel like the adventure/collectible aspect of EM will pull me in more...

Also, another positive review but they didn't give a score.

Conclusion:-

Epic Mickey is a love letter to the Disney franchise. Some characters make you feel bad for forgetting them, but you’ll rejoice in a chance to see them again in the game. Massive replay value, a great soundtrack and gorgeous visuals will keep you coming back over and over. Warren Spector and Junction Point have created a true masterpiece of a game here; this is a must-have for every Wii owner.

Hiltz

IGN's review seems to make the most sense given what you guys have said about the good and bad parts game's of the game.

I'll probably buy Epic Mickey using the $10 Target gift card that came with DKCR. It'll hopefully help soften the blow of the game's disappointing and frustrating features.

apana

ShockingAlberto said:
GT's review sold me, I think.

Same here, the review seemed enthusiastic. A few problems here and there aren't big enough reasons to pass on a game like this if you're a fan of the adventure platformer genre, especially because there are no other options out there.

Just preordered from Amazon for release day delivery. :D

I'm super psyched, even with the somewhat tepid critical reception. I'm an unabashed Disney nerd, so this game will be pure bliss for me.

Bel Marduk said:
I only played SMG1 (want to play SMG2 though) and I thought the game was solid but not that special (love the environments though.) I feel like the adventure/collectible aspect of EM will pull me in more...

Also, another positive review but they didn't give a score.
No score? But if it's not arbitrarily tied to a number I'll never know if it's good!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Hiltz said:
What an informative review, EatChildren. I appriciate how you took the time to dissect the game and reveal Epic Mickey for what it really is. I'm disappointed the gameplay isn't going to be nearly as fun or as creative as Warren Spector made it out to be.

Don't be too disappointed, as I don't agree with much of that review's take on the gameplay. At all. This one's going to be polarizing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This section:
Rez said:
In a video I saw of an early area (I don't know if watching streams is ok here?) there was an area in a Eastern-ish Boat area where there were multiple ways of getting to the door and lowering it.

None were explicitly pointed out, but it was the type of platformer where getting hit once or twice and bumping yourself around a level can actually push you passed a challenge, there were no invisible walls (which automatically gets me excited, I'm a sucker for throwing myself against both the metaphorical and physical rocks a million times hoping to trigger a ledge-grab or an equivalent in platformers). Then, when he got to the door, he went back and 'did it properly', before going back and 'doing it properly' two other ways, one of which included raising a giant dragon out of the water and walking across it. Some people, perhaps most people, might have never seen that! That seems very Spector. A lot of the choices seem to be very understated, in that yes, while there are some big MAKE A CHOICE things, a lot of the time it just comes down to whether you run one way or the other during a natural progression of a level, be it a more-open environment or the seamless progression into a more linear level.

If you're a 'I don't know how much you know about videogames (I'm an expert)' guy, then it seems like the game does a good job of accommodating both that and simpler options for people who just want to brute force their way around by spending tickets on things and breaking barrels.

Granted, I watched about 15 minutes before getting all giddy and 'omg, big-3D platformers like they used to make them with modern sensibilities' and turning it off. I adore the Galaxy games, but it's kind of cool to see a game take the big openish-world 3D platformer concept and really expand on it, while mixing it with the linear sections and the 2D sections. There's so much potential in a design like that, I hope they exploit every last drop of it.

turned out to be even better than I expected. there was even a bit with a treasure chest on top of a tower that I just couldn't get to no matter how hard I tried. I just moved on. Remind me of playing these games as kid a just not knowing how to do things and being forced to move on. It gives the game that little bit of mystery in that cool, childish way that I love. It makes me wonder whether part of the reason I'm loving this is because of the very strong structural links to the platformers I played growing up.

there was also a section that I proceeded to through a series of fans that was actually the latter-part of another quest, that was totally optional, that I accidentally completed because I had a good eye for the environment and figured out a paint/thinner puzzle before I was instructed to do so. I love that the game lets me do that. I love that I could have, apparently, paid tickets to make it all easier.

Granted, I'm not even at the hub yet (is there even one? I guess I'll find out). If the game keeps up this level of open-ended platforming, I'll be very happy. This game is the first game in a while to trigger the collector gene in me. I thought that bit of me had died post-Psychonauts, but here I am, breaking every crate and thinning/painting as much as possible.

I don't know, maybe others won't get what I'm getting from this, but everything about this game just reminds me of being young(er) and discovering games for the first time. I have these great memories of seeing a cousin's 64 with Mario for the first time and begging him to let me try it. This game reminds me of that in a really cool way that I'd like to think is intentional. I like video games, yo.

Hiltz

So fellas, were there any real surprises when it came to other noticeable Disney characters that make some kind of appearance by the time you finished the game ? This goes for even animatronic characters like Goofy and Capt. Hook. I have asked this question before, but those of us who are left waiting for the game to come out still only know a handful of revealed characters.

Chernabog ? Maleficent ? Country Bears ? Dumbo ? Mr. Toad ? Alice in Wonderland ? Pinocchio ? White and the Seven Dwarfs? Bambi ? Duck Tales ? Any lesser known oldschool black and white characters from the Mickey Mouse animated shorts ?

I almost forgot to ask about this! Is the Zippidy Doo Da song in the game?

I swear I'd buy the game just to listen to it.

Hiltz said:
So fellas, were there any real surprises when it came to other noticeable Disney characters that make some kind of appearance by the time you finished the game ? This goes for even animatronic characters like Goofy and Capt. Hook. I have asked this question before, but those of us who are left waiting for the game to come out still only know a handful of revealed characters.

Chernabog ? Maleficent ? Country Bears ? Dumbo ? Mr. Toad ? Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio or now White and the Seven Dwarfs? Bambi ? Duck Tales ? Any lesser known oldschool black and white characters from the Mickey Mouse animated shorts ?

Is the Zippidy Doo Da song in the game ?

I'd buy the game just to listen to this.

Alice in Wonderland was at some point in the game. There's unlockable artwork that shows the level.

But otherwise there aren't really any hidden gems of characters. There's the known lesser characters that you know, but none of those you mention is there in character. Most of the characters running around are extras from animation shorts, which is an excuse for having the same character model running around everywhere.

Apenheul

Finished the game yesterday. As expected (I said it a few pages back) the reviews are polarized. I agree with Sadist in that it's an 8 or 8.5 type of game. For me it's one of the highlights of the wii library. I just happen to like this type of gameplay and level design.

hatchx

Banned
Even with 8.0 range I'm still disappointed. Most of the reviews are saying the gameplay is the weakest part. THE GAMEPLAY!

Story, presentation, music, and nostalgia are just added factors in a good game. The fundamental quality to video games that I value is GAMEPLAY! Tight controls, good pacing, new challenges, and non-repetitive gameplay.

GT's review was positive, but they basically said 'the minute to minute gameplay' isn't up to par. IGN had a few paragraphs outlining the poor camera, controls, and framerate.

Am I being picky? If the controls and camera aren't tight, no amount of disney is going to make this a good game. Not for me, atleast.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
hatchx said:
Am I being picky? If the controls and camera aren't tight, no amount of disney is going to make this a good game. Not for me, atleast.

The controls are excellent once you get the hang of how the Paint and Thinner arc. The camera is uncooperative in tight places and particularly indoor combat, but rarely results in a life-or-death situation. It's annoying, but not a fatal flaw.

farnham said:
im glad that its getting good reviews :D :D

was worried because of vinterbird and eatchildren

The game is good, but it is not the GOTY - holy fuck Warren Spector did it again - game people were hoping for. The camera and platforming is so so, and the level design is very much up and down.

It's not a shitty game at all, but it is not as amazing as it could be.

AniHawk

I have a feeling I'll find myself agreeing more with EatChildren. If the pirate cove level was supposed to be intermediate, then the game isn't going to be particularly challenging, or interesting. Also, the Banjo-Kazooie games aren't helping. Although I doubt Epic Mickey is as much of a glorified minigame compilation as that game was.

Apenheul

AniHawk said:
I have a feeling I'll find myself agreeing more with EatChildren. If the pirate cove level was supposed to be intermediate, then the game isn't going to be particularly challenging, or interesting. Also, the Banjo-Kazooie games aren't helping. Although I doubt Epic Mickey is as much of a glorified minigame compilation as that game was.
You are looking for a different kind of challenge than what the game provides I think. The challenge doesn't come from skillful platforming but from the battles and exploring the environments. The 2D levels are exceptionally easy (haven't played Kirby yet).

AniHawk

Apenheul said:
You are looking for a different kind of challenge than what the game provides I think. The challenge doesn't come from skillful platforming but from the battles and exploring the environments. The 2D levels are exceptionally easy (haven't played Kirby yet).

I would love if this game was a pure 3D platformer like SMG2, but I've had a long time to adjust expectations. What I wanted was cleverness out of the saintly/naughty system, or maybe even some nice puzzles involving thinner/painting, but it sounds like the entire game is: find an obstacle and be good or bad.

It's like when Bioshock came out and people said Bioshock was a good game, when Bioshock was at least as boring as Metroid Prime, but people really liked the atmosphere of Bioshock and thought the plot twist for Bioshock meant that Bioshock was a good game when it wasn't.

AniHawk said:
I would love if this game was a pure 3D platformer like SMG2, but I've had a long time to adjust expectations. What I wanted was cleverness out of the saintly/naughty system, or maybe even some nice puzzles involving thinner/painting, but it sounds like the entire game is: find an obstacle and be good or bad.

It's like when Bioshock came out and people said Bioshock was a good game, when Bioshock was at least as boring as Metroid Prime, but people really liked the atmosphere of Bioshock and thought the plot twist for Bioshock meant that Bioshock was a good game when it wasn't.

To some degree. There is no good/bad mechanic in the game. There is only "how you want to solve this", it doesn't count karma points or anything in that way. It is just "get here, however you want to", and since there is no consequence for whatever you do, it makes it easier to just progress through a level the way you would like to.

Paint is not the "good" choice, and neither is thinner. They are just tools available to you. Both regenerate constantly, and you are not locked down a certain path if you thin a thing. You can change up whenever you want, and it gives a bit more freedom in that area then the typical RPG.

For the most part, the design and mechanics support the mentality of "if you want to solve this problem the way you think you should be able to, the design probably supports it". It's not a A or B situation in terms of solving something, there's always at least four ways of getting something fixed (minus boss battles).

There aren't really any puzzles to speak of, there's very little of that, it is more focused on what I mentioned above. Letting the players playstyle be what drives the structure of the game, so if you want to go all platforming, then it supports that. If you want to pay your way out of a problem, that is sometimes possible. If you want to explore, find shortcuts or just thin all the problems away, that is also possoble.

In my book, Mickey is better then Prime (and yes, Prime was not a good game).

cuyahoga said:
This game isn't difficult? I'm actually much more excited about this.

The game only provides a challenge during the last 30 minutes, and that is due to an overwhelming amount of enemies and some very, very, cheap death platforming areas.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
AniHawk said:
This game isn't difficult? I'm actually much more excited about this.

AniHawk

Vinterbird said:
To some degree. There is no good/bad mechanic in the game. There is only "how you want to solve this", it doesn't count karma points or anything in that way. It is just "get here, however you want to", and since there is no consequence for whatever you do, it makes it easier to just progress through a level the way you would like to.

Paint is not the "good" choice, and neither is thinner. They are just tools available to you. Both regenerate constantly, and you are not locked down a certain path if you thin a thing. You can change up whenever you want, and it gives a bit more freedom in that area then the typical RPG.

For the most part, the design and mechanics support the mentality of "if you want to solve this problem the way you think you should be able to, the design probably supports it". It's not a A or B situation in terms of solving something, there's always at least four ways of getting something fixed (minus boss battles).

There aren't really any puzzles to speak of, there's very little of that, it is more focused on what I mentioned above. Letting the players playstyle be what drives the structure of the game, so if you want to go all platforming, then it supports that. If you want to pay your way out of a problem, that is sometimes possible. If you want to explore, find shortcuts or just thin all the problems away, that is also possoble.

Hm. That sounds all right then. I guess the level I played wasn't that representative of the entire game then (aside from the controls, which I was fine with).

In my book, Mickey is better then Prime (and yes, Prime was not a good game).

Well, that's comforting, I guess. I really am hoping there's a B2G1F left sometime this year so I can get this with Sonic Colors and DKCR. The trifecta of platformingish Wii games that I aint so sure about.

Top Bottom