• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Vinterbird said:
Paint is not the "good" choice, and neither is thinner. They are just tools available to you.

This is patently incorrect. Paint is the "helpful" choice and Thinner is the "selfish" choice. In general the Paint approach results in an improvement in the world or another character's situation, whereas Thinner is just Mickey overcoming an obstacle with little regard for the consequences. Creation and destruction, and the expected outcomes that accompany them. It's not "good" and "evil," no, but there is a morality attached to the use of each mechanic.

In my book, Mickey is better then Prime (and yes, Prime was not a good game).

Oh, I see you come from an alternate reality. My condolences on your universe's version of Metroid Prime.

But seriously, gonna be interesting to see how the various tastes of various types of players line up on this one.

MattKeil said:
This is patently incorrect. Paint is the "helpful" choice and Thinner is the "selfish" choice. In general the Paint approach results in an improvement in the world or another character's situation, whereas Thinner is just Mickey overcoming an obstacle with little regard for the consequences. Creation and destruction, and the expected outcomes that accompany them. It's not "good" and "evil," no, but there is a morality attached to the use of each mechanic.

The morality is what you put in it yourself. They are just tools at your disposal. There is no counting up whether or not they are good or bad. That is only in the boss fights where that comes into play, and badly implemented. Otherwise it has no effect on how characters, the world or anything reacts to you. Therefore you can't really imply much morality to the mechanics.

twdnewh_k

I find it truly amazing that some ppl found prime and bioshock bad or boring. To each his own I guess. I'll come in with impressions next week

twdnewh_k said:
I find it truly amazing that some ppl found prime and bioshock bad or boring. To each his own I guess. I'll come in with impressions next week

Prime just didn't have any story, and had no drive in it that made me want to desperately finish it and gobble up everything it had to offer. It's a solid game in terms of mechanics, but it wasn't anything special.

butsomuch

G4 review - 5/5
The Pros
- Daring reimagining of Disney's best known character
- Excellent level design packed with secrets and multiple ways to accomplish objectives
- Tons of references to obscure Disney characters and animation
- Paint/Thinner mechanic makes for high replay value

The Cons
- Camera can be difficult to manage
- 2D sidescrolling levels must be repeated often while traveling between areas

MYE

whatevermort said:

From the review:

"Fundamentally, Epic Mickey misunderstands what people love about Mickey Mouse. He simply doesn't fit in this grim, post-modern dystopia, dripping with bitter-sweet nods to forgotten corners of Disney lore, nor does he need to confront his dark commercial heart to stay relevant in 2010.

He just needs to be Mickey, with blue skies, wholesome adventures and bright primary colours. A game with the breezy aesthetic and technical polish of Super Mario Galaxy, starring Mickey, Donald, Goofy and friends would do more to rekindle our affection for the mouse than this admirable but flawed attempt at forced reinvention."

Really Eurogamer? :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MYE said:
From the review:

Really Eurogamer? :lol
the conclusion is really suspect, but there was a point in there about everything being very familiar for a video game, given the source material. "blue sheet metal" floors and "green toxic pits" and all that.

MYE said:
These reviews are all over the place

It kinda boils down to: Do you love Disney so much that you can ignore the other problems the game has.

If that answer is yes, then you will love this game as much as G4 did.

Vinterbird said:
It kinda boils down to: Do you love Disney so much that you can ignore the other problems the game has.

That's a pretty arrogant statement. Seems much more likely its just differing opinions.

wazoo

MYE said:
These reviews are all over the place

I do not know about epic Mickey, but I expect a game taking risks to have a very large spectrum of ratings, much more than a "play by the rules safely" game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wazoo said:
I do not know about epic Mickey, but I expect a game taking risks to have a very large spectrum of ratings, much more than a "play by the rules safely" game.
there is very little risk in any one aspect of this game, other than it's Wii exclusivity

Rush2thestart said:
That's a pretty arrogant statement. Seems much more likely its just differing opinions.

Not really. All of the reviews point out that the camera is not amazing, and the gameplay here and there is not up to snuff. So it comes down to whether or not your love for Disney can overcome those problems (just look at people in this thread, that doesn't care about the gameplay but just want it for the Disney stuff).

I can totally understand coming from that point of view, and for those people this is a pure love letter.

dragct

Gamer365 (Hungary) - 7/10

[+]
+ Wonderful artistic production
+ Huge content
+ Decent visuals
+ Unique and memorable experience

[-]
- Camera issues
- Can not live up to its ambitions
- Inconsistent scripting, immature design choices

Apenheul

Vinterbird said:
Not really. All of the reviews point out that the camera is not amazing, and the gameplay here and there is not up to snuff. So it comes down to whether or not your love for Disney can overcome those problems (just look at people in this thread, that doesn't care about the gameplay but just want it for the Disney stuff).

I can totally understand coming from that point of view, and for those people this is a pure love letter.

I disagree, I don't care much for Disney. I haven't seen one of their animated films in fifteen years and have never bought a Disney game before but this game has some high quality game design decisions in it that some reviewers (like yourself, but please don't take this personally) just fail to appreciate. Like I mentioned how the game gives plenty of incentive to explore the environment, appealing to intrinsic motivation instead of the carrots & sticks design found in a game like Mario Galaxy (not a knock on Mario Galaxy because I find it brilliant, but Epic Mickey just happens to approach platforming differently). You do recognize this as you've touched on it in several posts but it doesn't do for you what it does for others, doesn't mean it's bad necessarily. Also, even though paint & thinner is mostly used for making platforms appear or revealing items, it's also used for situations such as making platforms stop turning at the right time, defeating enemies/bosses, and coloring the world which some people do find really interesting.

Rez said:
do yourself a favour and watch "The Incredibles"

Who, me? Care to explain why I should watch it?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
do yourself a favour and watch "The Incredibles"

I think, people like Rez and me, that are given this game fun times, is not only all these disney characters and world (that are really awesome), but the sense, of platforming and discovering that was typical of the N64 days.
I have left chests because I didnt know really how to get them, and I have overcome lots of problems with my own solutions using tricks that make me feel accomplished because im discovering something that maybe another one will not have done.

Also I have seen, that going the "bad" route makes the game more challenging, as the areas you open are harder platforming areas and have more enemies.

GhaleonQ

Boy, I'm sure the Eurogamer review's accurate on the gameplay, but every one of the reviewer's non-gameplay statements are awful, awful.

Aside from just being stupid and historically incorrect, saying "WHAT PEOPLE LIKE ABOUT MICKEY IS WHAT I SAY," and then criticizing him for being voiceless and a character of modest characterization at best is contradictory.

Apenheul said:
Who, me? Care to explain why I should watch it?

*shrugs*

STG

can someone please tell me why those idiots renamed the game in germany?

51-l-7tIZVL.jpg

micky epic?

really?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Vinterbird said:

Is Disney fandom going to help one's enjoyment of Epic Mickey? Absolutely. Is it the only way to enjoy it? Absolutely not.

I definitely thought hard about how much I enjoyed the game overall versus the flaws it presented, especially the camera. In the end, while the camera is annoying in many places, it simply didn't impact my enjoyment of the game or any specific section of the game enough to penalize it all that much. I'm actually surprised at how much emphasis other reviews are placing on the camera and especially what they claim are imprecise controls. Reading other reviews keeps making me say "Wow, that bugged you when there was X, Y, and Z to do/see?"

So yeah, maybe if I'd been less enthralled with the myriad references to Disney history and the inventive recreations of Disneyland locations, I would have somehow found control flaws (that never presented themselves) or found the level design lacking. As always, different people see different things. There's a joy to this game that, as a Disney fan, platformer fan, and as someone who has been to Disneyland several dozen times, very much speaks to me and makes Epic Mickey something special. I am totally aware that this will not be the case with some people, possibly even the majority of people, but my job is to tell you what I think of the game, and I loved it. I'd put this game in the hands of anyone willing to hold a Wii controller, and that's a 5/5 on the G4 scale.

Jex

GhaleonQ said:
Boy, I'm sure the Eurogamer review's accurate on the gameplay, but every one of the reviewer's non-gameplay statements are awful, awful.

Aside from just being stupid and historically incorrect, saying "WHAT PEOPLE LIKE ABOUT MICKEY IS WHAT I SAY," and then criticizing him for being voiceless and a character of modest characterization at best is contradictory.
It's rather embarrassing, their commentary should have stayed more on what they actually know about.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unsurprisingly, reviews are polarised, and also unsurprisingly, mine is one of the lowest by far :lol. We were one of the first reviews to hit the internet, and it seems folk on Gamespot and IGN were having a lovely old time bitching about PALGN. "Who are they?" "Wii bias!", and so on.

Opinions and all that, but anybody giving it an 8+ / 10 is out of their goddamn mind as far as I'm concerned. Its just not good enough.

I also find it interesting how many reviews are raving about replay value. As I said in mine, pretty much none of the decisions you make have any impact on anything except the ending, or to skip puzzles by finding Gremlins. Play through it once for the good ending. Play through it again for the bad ending.

The only other reason to play is to collect all the badges and pins and all that crap. If thats your thing, fine, but its still a superficial means of extending the games value as its mostly worthless. If I recall correctly the pin screen literally says something along the lines of "Collect all the pins to prove you are the biggest Mickey Mouse fan!". How about no?

And I still stand by my statements that the level design is mediocre. Its not bad, but its not stimulating or interesting. The art is great, and its fun wandering the streets of Mean Street and OsTown and whatever, but the design from a gameplay standpoint is bland, as is the platforming. Everybody will notice the shitty platforming collision detection, at the very least during the 2D side scrolling levels. If you dont, you're not paying attention or dont consider Mickey being 'hit' without directly being touched bad collision detection.

Its worth a look for sure, because of the polarised reviews. Some people are going to love it. But as I said, an 8+ / 10 is crazy talk. Its not GOTY material, and its not one of the best games on the Wii. Its a love letter to Disney and an amazing one at that, but pretty weak in every gameplay mechanic other than "gotta collect 'em all".

Peff

EatChildren said:
I also find it interesting how many reviews are raving about replay value. As I said in mine, pretty much none of the decisions you make have any impact on anything except the ending, or to skip puzzles by finding Gremlins. Play through it once for the good ending. Play through it again for the bad ending.

Is there even a second ending?
I get the feeling that despite having a perfect point to change things (Oswald not giving the heart back) the only things you can change are the short cutscenes for whatever happens to the bosses

EatChildren said:
Unsurprisingly, reviews are polarised, and also unsurprisingly, mine is one of the lowest by far :lol. We were one of the first reviews to hit the internet, and it seems folk on Gamespot and IGN were having a lovely old time bitching about PALGN. "Who are they?" "Wii bias!", and so on.

Opinions and all that, but anybody giving it an 8+ / 10 is out of their goddamn mind as far as I'm concerned. Its just not good enough.

The only other reason to play is to collect all the badges and pins and all that crap. If thats your thing, fine, but its still a superficial means of extending the games value as its mostly worthless. If I recall correctly the pin screen literally says something along the lines of "Collect all the pins to prove you are the biggest Mickey Mouse fan!". How about no?

And I still stand by my statements that the level design is mediocre. Its not bad, but its not stimulating or interesting. The art is great, and its fun wandering the streets of Mean Street and OsTown and whatever, but the design from a gameplay standpoint is bland, as is the platforming. Everybody will notice the shitty platforming collision detection, at the very least during the 2D side scrolling levels. If you dont, you're not paying attention or dont consider Mickey being 'hit' without directly being touched bad collision detection.

Its worth a look for sure, because of the polarised reviews. Some people are going to love it. But as I said, an 8+ / 10 is crazy talk. Its not GOTY material, and its not one of the best games on the Wii. Its a love letter to Disney and an amazing one at that, but pretty weak in every gameplay mechanic other than "gotta collect 'em all".

It's one of the three best games released on Wii in the last three years and one of the best games of the year according to G4 which I guess you would disagree with :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Peff said:
Is there even a second ending?
I get the feeling that despite having a perfect point to change things (Oswald not giving the heart back) the only things you can change are the short cutscenes for whatever happens to the bosses

Not entirely sure. Still going through a second play through to see. I know all the little sub quests change, but I'm not positive about the main quest.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
It's one of the three best games released on Wii in the last three years and one of the best games of the year according to G4 which I guess you would disagree with :lol

Games like Galaxy 2 and (by the looks of it) DKC Returns leave Mickey for dead. Its far from one of the best games of the year!

gamingeek

More reviews

GAMESREACTOR

But if you feel like playing a game with Mickey Mouse, then things just don't get any better than Epic Mickey and it might just be the best non-Nintendo game on Wii. It's fun, charming, well polished, entertaining and fairly challenging. I have enjoyed every moment spent with Mickey, Oswald, Pete, Animatronic Goofy and the rest, and I'm already thinking about my next playthrough. Don't miss out on Mickey's journey through Wasteland.

9/10

THE GUARDIAN

Overall, though, Epic Mickey proves satisfyingly original, fun and absorbing – it's a pleasant, and at times interestingly twisted world in which to immerse yourself. At last, Mickey has a suitably credible means of making an impression on the world of video games.

4 out of 5

G4TV

Disney Epic Mickey is the rare ambitious game that manages to hit all of its declared targets. Disney fans (particularly those who love Disneyland) absolutely must play this game. Platformer fans (particularly those who love N64 platformers) absolutely must play this game. If you love meaningful player choice, freeform gameplay, piles of quests to complete, inventive level design, and an ending that can break or warm your heart depending on your decisions, you are Disney Epic Mickey’s target audience. It is relentlessly imaginative, surprisingly thoughtful and strikingly fresh. It takes Mickey Mouse and uses him to do something most modern audiences didn’t think he could: surprise us.

Walt would have loved it.

5 out of 5

VIDEOGAMER

It's clear that a lot of love went into making Disney Epic Mickey. The attention to detail in the environments is superb, with little touches here and there for fans to pick up on, and the many forgotten characters are excellent. The platforming is top notch when the camera doesn't get in the way, and the paint and thinner mechanics give the game a unique hook. Even with a smattering of issues that will cause annoyance, Disney Epic Mickey is a fine addition to the upper echelon of the Wii's software library.

8/10

antonz

That Eurogamer conclusion is really crappy. If this was on the HD twins I doubt they would be harping on the game for not being sugar and spice and everything nice world design wise.

The whole point of the game is Mickey fucked up Oswalds world.

Holy cow, the music from the Oswald shorts is really amazing and fun :lol

EatChildren said:

The thing is, in your review you sounded like a 7.5 or even 8, now what you say to defend your 6.5 in this statement i have quote (at first you said that is how the score system in the web page you work) is sounding like the game is not good AT ALL.
You say that all the people who are giving it 8 or above are out of their goddam minds, but as we talked yesterday, we really know what that 8 means, that is a really good game but not excellent.

However I think you have to respect their opinions, even if you dont like them. For me is also a game above 8 from what I have played, as the only fault I have experienced is the camera. All of the rest, I found them wonderfull, even the recollection and level design, that I love because I liked Conker a lot and since that N64 game, I havent played that type of plataformer. Yeah, Super Mario Galaxy has a much better platforming system, and is the much better game, but yet, I really love Epic Mickey for what it is.

EatChildren

SpacePirate Ridley said:
The thing is, in your review you sounded like a 7.5 or even 8, now what you say to defend your 6.5 in this statement i have quote (at first you said that is how the score system in the web page you work) is sounding like the game is not good AT ALL.

For PALGN's standards, my review fits 6.5. There is no way in hell my review reads as anywhere in the ballpark of an 8.

You say that all the people who are giving it 8 or above are out of their goddam minds, but as we talked yesterday, we really know what that 8 means, that is a really good game but not excellent.

I wouldn't consider Epic Mickey to be a "really good game" either.

I respect the opinions of others, obviously, because people are going to have different stances on this game. I knew it would be polarising game the moment I started playing. I cant, however, agree at all with people giving it an 8/10. If 8/10 is close to GOTY material, Epic Mickey is not an 8/10.

MYE

EatChildren said:

I also find it interesting how many reviews are raving about replay value
. As I said in mine, pretty much none of the decisions you make have any impact on anything except the ending, or to skip puzzles by finding Gremlins. Play through it once for the good ending. Play through it again for the bad ending.

Dude, you dont need to defend your review. Just remember that the things that you find "bland" and "mediocre" may not come off as such to others, or even be an issue.

And i dont think that saying "that they are out of their goddamned mind"s for giving it an 8+ score is the best way to approach diferent opinions.

Subjectivity and all that.

edit: My english is in the shitter today :lol
sorry

Thats the thing, for the majority of people, 8 is not GOTY, and for you it is.

You have also stated you dont find it a very good game, but other people, myself included, are loving it. Even if you think we are wrong, you dont need to say we are out of our minds.

Top Bottom