• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MYE said:
Dude, you dont need to defend your review. Just remember that the things that you find "bland" and "mediocre" may not come off as such to others, or even be an issue.

Not so much defending as comparing. Its interesting to see others perspective, especially places praising the game with 9+/10, and what their criticisms are. Its why I mentioned the collect-a-thon aspect, and how some obviously consider this to be good replay value, while I thought it was pretty shallow and superficial.

And i dont think that saying "that they are out of their goddamned mind"s for giving it an 8+ score is the best way to approach diferent opinions.

I really think they are though :lol.

Oh well. If its GOTY material for you guys, more power to you.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
You have also stated you dont find it a very good game, but other people, myself included, are loving it. Even if you think we are wrong, you dont need to say we are out of our minds.

Well, I'm going to think you guys are out of your minds on the basis that I obviously disagree with your opinion. No intention to offend. Just as you disagree with my stance, and probably think I was overly critical if not flat out wrong, I too am going to be baffled at the praise.

heringer

People saying the decisions don't affect the game and other people claiming that they do.

Oh well, apparently it's one of those games you would be better off not trusting any review.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
heringer said:
People saying the decisions don't affect the game and other people claiming that they do.

Think of it like the example I used in my review; you can either fix the machine or break it. Fixing it opens a door to one treasure, breaking it allows you to climb and access another. Defeating a boss with thinner earns you one type of treasure, beating them with paint earns another. In the end, the final cutscene will reflect on some of your decisions and how they impact the fate of wasteland.

Outside of this the game never really cahnges all that much.

heringer

EatChildren said:
For PALGN's standards, my review fits 6.5. There is no way in hell my review reads as anywhere in the ballpark of an 8.

I wouldn't consider Epic Mickey to be a "really good game" either.

I respect the opinions of others, obviously, because people are going to have different stances on this game. I knew it would be polarising game the moment I started playing. I cant, however, agree at all with people giving it an 8/10. If 8/10 is close to GOTY material, Epic Mickey is not an 8/10.
For most people 8/10 isn't GOTY material though. You can't say people are out of their minds when PALGN standards clearly are not the norm.

Really, if 8/10 is GOTY material for you guys, what's a 10/10? Game of the forever and ever? Personally I don't agree with this stance, but to each his own.

EatChildren said:
Think of it like the example I used in my review; you can either fix the machine or break it. Fixing it opens a door to one treasure, breaking it allows you to climb and access another. Defeating a boss with thinner earns you one type of treasure, beating them with paint earns another. In the end, the final cutscene will reflect on some of your decisions and how they impact the fate of wasteland.

Outside of this the game never really cahnges all that much.
Well, I really can't argue about it when I haven't played the game yet. But here's what the 1UP review says:

Here's where he's agreeing with you:

Most of the time, the choice of which power you use doesn't have a substantial, immediate effect. Using Paint more will, naturally, extend your Paint meter and vice versa; other times you'll either befriend or alienate certain characters, slightly changing some of the quests you have available. And you'll get a different cinematic at the game's end based on how you approach your problems and who you've helped/ignored.

And here's where your opinions start to split a little bit:

But the more interesting part is one that's not immediately apparent. You'll face moments, like a battle against Captain Hook, where your choice is more than just, "Will I use Thinner or Paint?" Instead, it's, "Will, I just go in and fight Hook on my own, or will I try and rescue Tinkerbell first?" And choices like that affect how the battle plays out. Those moments are too brief, and they're just mixed in with the otherwise simple binary choices, but when you come across them, and you realize that your actions affect the way the world is shaping around you, the game starts to live up to its slightly presumptuous title.

apana

EatChildren said:
Not so much defending as comparing. Its interesting to see others perspective, especially places praising the game with 9+/10, and what their criticisms are. Its why I mentioned the collect-a-thon aspect, and how some obviously consider this to be good replay value, while I thought it was pretty shallow and superficial.

I really think they are though :lol.

Oh well. If its GOTY material for you guys, more power to you.

Well, I'm going to think you guys are out of your minds on the basis that I obviously disagree with your opinion. No intention to offend. Just as you disagree with my stance, and probably think I was overly critical if not flat out wrong, I too am going to be baffled at the praise.

Most game reviewers dont give an 8 to GOTY material. An 8 generally means its either a good game or an excellent game with some flaws that bring it down.

Shocked that this is averaging a 77/100. Won't stop me getting it, but now my expectations are lower than what they were. Should still be fun though.

EatChildren

heringer said:
Really, if 8/10 is GOTY material for you guys, what's a 10/10? Game of the forever and ever? Personally I don't agree with this stance, but to each his own.

From memory we've only given out two 10/10s. As in, ever.

And here's where your opinions start to split a little bit:

In that particular scenario the choice is, as he says, "Do I fight Captain Hook or do I save Tinkerbell". One requires you to play the game one way, the other requires you to play it another. There are basically no lasting consiquences after you make the decision, just a different way to play that particular scenario.

Either way no matter how many times you play the game you will have to chose one or the other, and after you defeat Hook (through whichever choice) the game will continue as normal.

eXistor

I really haven't played enough to judge the game properly, but so far it really isn't anything special. If anything it feels very dated. I saw someone mention this feels like an N64-era platformer and paying the game I can't really shake that feeling myself. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean the game is behind in the times. It feels like a solid enough platformer, but just don't go expecting anything mindblowing, it's just a good platformer.

Seeing as we're throwing scores around, I'm expecting an average of about 75, which is would deserve as far as my limited experience with the game is concerned.

EatChildren said:
From memory we've only given out two 10/10s. As in, ever.

In that particular scenario the choice is, as he says, "Do I fight Captain Hook or do I save Tinkerbell". One requires you to play the game one way, the other requires you to play it another. There are basically no lasting consiquences after you make the decision, just a different way to play that particular scenario.

Either way no matter how many times you play the game you will have to chose one or the other, and after you defeat Hook (through whichever choice) the game will continue as normal.

Didn't they put in something like, there's a solution to doing both things? Read an interview about that where in the first level where you either save a gremlin or get a treasure chest, and there's a solution to get both.

EatChildren

Bel Marduk said:
Didn't they put in something like, there's a solution to doing both things? Read an interview about that where in the first level where you either save a gremlin or get a treasure chest, and there's a solution to get both.

In some cases yes, but not (for example) in the Hook bossfight. Not that I'm aware of anyway, as cutscenes in those cases are triggered once you 'complete' the path you decided to take. Environments are pretty open, so some 'choices' can be completed twice if you play your cards well.

The example your thinking of is possible, but funnily enough was never intended. Warren never intended for the player to get both, but a play tester found a loophole and he decided to keep it in.

Ultimately though the game will largely play the same way each time, with the main difference being the kind of treasure you aquire. I'm pretty sure its impossible to unlock all the badges (some of which are kind of like achievements) without doing the game over, as some can only be unlocked under particular conditions.

Haunted

STG said:
can someone please tell me why those idiots renamed the game in germany?

51-l-7tIZVL.jpg

micky epic?

really?
Are you German?

Makes sense to me.

Owzers

If i'm debating buying Majin and the Foresaken kingdom for $23 at Amazon, then i should definitely pick up Epic Mickey for $50+20 videogame credit from Kmart next week.

Haunted

sillymonkey321 said:
If i'm debating buying Majin and the Foresaken kingdom for $23 at Amazon, then i should definitely pick up Epic Mickey for $50+20 videogame credit from Kmart next week.
What the fuck? :mad:

17€ on amazon.com
41€ on amazon.co.uk
54€ on amazon.de

That's just not right. ;_;

EatChildren

hatchx

Banned
EatChildren,

Did you beat the game more than once? How do you know so much about the consequences. It doesn't sound as if any reviewer has played the game multiple times.

EatChildren

hatchx said:
EatChildren,

Did you beat the game more than once? How do you know so much about the consequences. It doesn't sound as if any reviewer has played the game multiple times.

Going through a second playthrough to see the differences, so something drastic might happen, it just doesnt look that way. I'm more talking about little things you can do throughout the game. Its mostly progressing the same.

There are changes but the most important ones happen during the final cutscene. Like Fallout the game will go back and show how Wasteland changed based on your decisions. Thats what the choices seem to amount to the most, and its pretty cool.

I played through it as a 'good' Mickey, helping people. I can imagine the ending cutscene after playing as a dick are going to make me feel like shit :lol.

Equus Bellator Apex said:
How did the OP get banned?

Being an idiot in the DKCR thread I think.

[Nintex]

I understand both the hate and the love for this game but I'm having tons of fun. As a Rare fan I've missed these exploration platformers. The game is mostly just a relaxing experience, searching for hidden stuff in the environment or taking on quests so you can continue the story. There's a lot to see and to do but overall they limited themselves to simple platforming. In a world without Super Mario Galaxy, this game would've been right at the top along with the Banjo's and Rayman's but we're past that stage and in that sense it feels kinda dated. The Paint and Thinner mechanic works well in the environments, kinda reminds me of Super Mario Sunshine but Epic Mickey has more use for the spray stuff mechanic.

The presentation is mindblowing, easily one of the more creative games I've played this year. I like how the world is 'fake' in a way that it's a theme-park with backgrounds and all. All the old characters walking around with scrambled voices, asking Mickey if he remembers them gives it a somewhat sad vibe at times. Overall I'm having tons of fun but I can see that it's not for everyone. Especially when you're not a fan of exploration or collecting stuff.

Peff

hatchx said:
EatChildren,

Because it's pretty obvious even if you only play once. There is no long-term impact to the decisions because there aren't many places for consequences to take place in as you are locked out of any completed level forever. You can unlock the animated videos and there is only one of them that is impossible to unlock the first time through (as it's the only one where getting one cutscene makes getting the other impossible), therefore there is no impact whatsoever on the main storyline. It's mostly just either get more money from someone or do the right thing and get an item/more fetch quests.

EatChildren

Cow Mengde said:
Wow, I can't believe now people are complaining about the score. Jeez man.

Its cool. As I and others have said, this game will polarise people. Some will love it, others not so much. Its still worth a look, doubly so if you're a Disney fan.

Been mean also gives you ussually a more difficult platforming path.

I love when I do the good thing and then I discover a way to enter to the difficult path that was blocked because I made the good choice, but I can experience both.

apana

[Nintex] said:
I understand both the hate and the love for this game but I'm having tons of fun. As a Rare fan I've missed these exploration platformers. The game is mostly just a relaxing experience, searching for hidden stuff in the environment or taking on quests so you can continue the story. There's a lot to see and to do but overall they limited themselves to simple platforming. In a world without Super Mario Galaxy, this game would've been right at the top along with the Banjo's and Rayman's but we're past that stage and in that sense it feels kinda dated. The Paint and Thinner mechanic works well in the environments, kinda reminds me of Super Mario Sunshine but Epic Mickey has more use for the spray stuff mechanic.

The presentation is mindblowing, easily one of the more creative games I've played this year. I like how the world is 'fake' in a way that it's a theme-park with backgrounds and all. All the old characters walking around with scrambled voices, asking Mickey if he remembers them gives it a somewhat sad vibe at times. Overall I'm having tons of fun but I can see that it's not for everyone. Especially when you're not a fan of exploration or collecting stuff.

Thanks for your impressions, this game will be just what I've been looking for. I've never understood why so many gaming enthusiasts simply decided that the N64 type exploration platformer was outdated.

EatChildren

apana said:
Thanks for your impressions, this game will be just what I've been looking for. I've never understood why so many gaming enthusiasts simply decided that the N64 type exploration platformer was outdated.

Neither. Personally, and this will be heresy to many, I enjoyed Banjo-Kazooie more than Mario64 back in the day, and think it did a better job of the open platformer design than pretty much every game since (including the open levels of Super Mario Galaxy).

I wouldn't put Mickey up there with BK, and I think it does a few things differently anyway, but I can see how the game would certainly appeal to someone who misses that style of design.

STG said:
can someone please tell me why those idiots renamed the game in germany?

micky epic?

really?
I still remember the glorious days when "epic" used to be a noun and not a buzzword for eight-graders.

EatChildren said:
Its cool. As I and others have said, this game will polarise people. Some will love it, others not so much. Its still worth a look, doubly so if you're a Disney fan.

Like I said before, this game will be this year's Scribblenauts. An interesting game with many mixed opinions.

I still remember the glorious days when "epic" used to be a noun and not a buzzword for eight-graders.

Pretty much the reason I hate this name.

EatChildren

The name is stupid, but the cover is the biggest crime. It looks so unfinished and bland, especially compared to that wonderful Game Informer cover art we got when the game was properly announced.

legend166

As someone who has read PALGN from the very beginning (I posted on the PAL CB at IGN when they started the whole thing), this idea that it is 'harsh' with its review scores and that an 8/10 is considered GotY doesn't seem to be at all true. It may be for you, but it does definitely not seem like it's a site-wide policy.

I'm not trying to have a go at you, EatChildren. You're perfectly entitled to your review and socre (heck, you've played the game which is more than I can say). You shouldn't need to defend it. Epic Mickey seems like it's going to be pretty polarising. In the end, it's just a review.

This isn't a 'I can't believe they think <insert game here> is better than Epic Mickey because they gave it a higher score' list (obviously that makes no sense, different reviewers and all), it's simply a 'let's be honest now, 8/10 does not equate to GotY quality on PALGN' list.

Recent games to get 8/10 or over:

Dance Central
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
EA Sports MMA
Rock Band 3
Ivy the Kiwi?
CODBLOPS
WWE: Smackdown VS Raw 2011
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
BlazBlu: Contiuum Shift
Super Meat Boy
NBA 2K11
DJ Hero 2
Prof Layton and the Lost Future
Vanquish
Fallout: New Vegas
Enslaved
F1 2010
PES 2011
Dead Rising 2
Halo Reach
Amnesia

EatChildren

Technically 8.5+ is considered GOTY, but I can see your point. I dont speak for the other staff though, and none of those reviews are mine. From the conversations I've had with them, I know for sure the particular reviewers of some of those games would consider them GOTY worthy (AC Brotherhood, for example), even if I dont.

In the end I try and write and score using the guidelines set by the website.

EDIT: To throw myself in that group, I gave Sin & Punishment 2 a 9/10, and would consider it GOTY worthy, at the very least specifically for the Wii.

Haunted

Prime Blue said:
Well that's why I actually like the German "translation".

Epic is a noun there, used properly.

Owzers

CaVaYeRo said:
Well, here's a 9,5 from a friend (in Spanish).

He's so in love with the game that he'll wait a day and then start it again. He's a big Disney fan too, so he should've been swimming in nostalgia :D

It seems to me that the higher the review score gets, the more the actual gameplay gets looked over in favor of Disney love. Something akin to:

" Sure it doesn't play that well but the Disney worlds/characters are fantastic!"

sillymonkey321 said:
It seems to me that the higher the review score gets, the more the actual gameplay gets looked over in favor of Disney love. Something akin to:

" Sure it doesn't play that well but the Disney worlds/characters are fantastic!"
It's not like it's the the first time reviewers have forgiven questionable mechanics in a game.

I still maintain that Shadow of the Colossus plays like ass - and many reviewers agreed - but the experience itself is just so satisfying that one can be somewhat forgiving of the controls.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not comparing Epic Mickey to SotC, since I haven't even played Epic Mickey yet. But I can think of several examples of games that got a pass on controls because of an overall great gaming experience.

And as a Disney nerd, I'm as psyched for this game as I've been for a game in a very long time, even though it's clear the game has many issues.

EatChildren said:
Not shots taken, nor any offense. I can see your point, but that is mine. I simply dont believe in conforming to the Metacritic age. Even if this might seem unjust and misleading, considering how many people adopt their own perception of 10 point scale rankings, this is still how I chose to operate as a reviewer.

If you refuse to confrom to the Metacritic age... why not request to remove yourselves from Metacritic? I'm not saying this because I disagree with your review or that you are a bad reviewer. I'm saying this because its misleading considering the scale that's used on Metacritic itself. Sure you could say, "well then they should just read the review." Sure they can, but will they? I really do not think so. People go to Metacritic for quick ratings and overviews. They'll take one quick glance and thats it. Sad, I know. In the end, I believe its the games that are taking the hurt. Not the ignorant people that glance at MC scores, and not MC itself.

People who are playing, or have played. I need a little help.

Im in Tomorrow land and
cant get pluto's collar from behind the window, im in the elevator, but havent enter yet, becuase Im afraid I will not get the collar once i go up. How do you get it from inside the windows, I have gone through all the stage and i dont find anything that can help me

EDIT:
WTF Im an idiot :lol

CaVaYeRo said:
Well, here's a 9,5 from a friend (in Spanish).

He's so in love with the game that he'll wait a day and then start it again. He's a big Disney fan too, so he should've been swimming in nostalgia :D

Tell him his awesome, not becuase of the review, but because he seems to be a great Disney fan.

Owzers

BertramCooper said:
It's not like it's the the first time reviewers have forgiven questionable mechanics in a game.

I still maintain that Shadow of the Colossus plays like ass - and many reviewers agreed - but the experience itself is just so satisfying that one can be somewhat forgiving of the controls.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not comparing Epic Mickey to SotC, since I haven't even played Epic Mickey yet. But I can think of several examples of games that got a pass on controls because of an overall great gaming experience.

And as a Disney nerd, I'm as psyched for this game as I've been for a game in a very long time, even though it's clear the game has many issues.

I will never forgive Shadow of the Collossus for that last boss fight. Ever. *grumble grumble*

apana

evilromero said:
The advertising has me hyped but the lukewarm feedback is definitely killing the buzz.

The giantbomb quick look of the first 30 or so minutes gave me a good impression of what this game is all about. If you dont mind spoiling the opening for yourself then you should watch it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The camera is god awful. How could it have shipped without the option to speed it up or invert the x-axis (or uninvert, actually, but it's hard to define that with a camera so...).

I hate that the C button doesn't always centre it. If it was a Zelda-like camera centre button that would be fine, but for some reason it often refuses to work and forces me to slowly move the camera around. It isn't like the camera couldn't "fit" behind me, that I'd understand if not enjoy, because I CAN place it there manually.

The pointer also seems to lack the fluidity of a Nintendo game, but that could all be in the fancy tails and blurs Nintendo put on their pointers, the functionality is probably identical.

JRW

Finished it tonight I thought the ending was great and It showed some things I know not everyone will see (depending on if you complete certain quests).

Great game IMO and I definately agree with IGN's 8.0 rating.

I would score it higher if it wasn't for the awkwardly slow manual camera (d-pad) and other camera issues in general.

But It held my interest to the end (21 hours worth!) thats always a plus in my book :D

CaVaYeRo

SpacePirate Ridley said:
People who are playing, or have played. I need a little help.

Im in Tomorrow land and
cant get pluto's collar from behind the window, im in the elevator, but havent enter yet, becuase Im afraid I will not get the collar once i go up. How do you get it from inside the windows, I have gone through all the stage and i dont find anything that can help me

EDIT:
WTF Im an idiot :lol

Tell him his awesome, not becuase of the review, but because he seems to be a great Disney fan.

I will, but I think that text is awesome too :D

Oh, and I don't know about any extras yet :S

Top Bottom