• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fantastical said:
Begging for a port of a game to another system. People wanted this on 360/PS3 in that thread.
In particular it was stuff in the vein of "this is getting a PS360 port, right?" and "why the hell is this Wii exclusive?"

I'm pretty sure that thread never descended as far as "I'd buy a PSN/XBLA port for 20 bucks" though. Thankfully.

Can anyone who has the game already give out actual impressions yet? Even something in the vein of "the platforming is actually pretty good" would be awesome.

bridegur

I played this for a few minutes at Best Buy earlier, and the controls were a bit off-putting. They're essentially run and jump -- I was hoping for a few more moves similar to the 3D Mario games.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm still not sold on the game. The graphics, the animation, the production value, the music... all seems pretty good. It's the gameplay that i'm still not sure if i'll enjoy it. There is something that doesn't feel right in the videos, but i can't put my finger on it.

bridegur said:
I played this for a few minutes at Best Buy earlier, and the controls were a bit off-putting. They're essentially run and jump -- I was hoping for a few more moves similar to the 3D Mario games.

Paintbrush and spin attack.

bridegur said:
Guess I'll be making a stop by there tomorrow.

Bisnic said:
I'm still not sold on the game. The graphics, the animation, the production value, the music... all seems pretty good. It's the gameplay that i'm still not sure if i'll enjoy it. There is something that doesn't feel right in the videos, but i can't put my finger on it.
It doesn't look all that polished from what I've seen, but it does look fun. Seem like it will provide a nice romp through, I just wish I knew more of Disney's history so I could absorb it's finer atmospheric details. It should be ok, so long as you know what to expect and don't think you will get a Mario Galaxy type of experience from its mechanics and whatnot.

Im excited for it :D

Vizion28

Banned
I never played a Warren Spector game. I never even heard of the guy until the Epic Mickey hype.

Has he ever made a bad game or even a mediocre game? If not, then I may buy this game. Of course reviews will factor in my decision to purchase the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Vizion28 said:
I never played a Warren Spector game. I never even heard of the guy until the Epic Mickey hype.

I haven't played as many of his games as I should, but some day you really should play Deus Ex. Even now it's still a great game.

This is going to be the first video game I'll be getting in ages, something tells me this isn't going to be a Deus Ex: Invisible War-type fuckup. I just hope this sells well, I'm really not sure if this is the type of experience the average Joe expects from a game centered around Mickey so it might confuse the hell out of a lot of people.

Vizion28 said:

Has he ever made a bad game or even a mediocre game? If not, then I may buy this game. Of course reviews will factor in my decision to purchase the game.
Many people hate "Invisible War", the sequel to Deus Ex because Spector simplified the game mechanics of the first game too much. Mind you, even his older games were designed to be more accessible compared to many games out at the time, but he seems to have gone too far with IW. Personally I've never played Invisible War as there was no way my PC could handle it back then.

Haunted

Vizion28 said:

How old are you? Just curious.

Spector is a legend. Working on Wing Commander, the later Ultima games, System Shock, Thief, creator of Deus Ex. What a list.

gimz

Haunted said:

Spector is a legend. Working on Wing Commander, the later Ultima games, System Shock, Thief, creator of Deus Ex. What a list.
never played any of those :/

Vizion28

Banned
Haunted said:

Those sound like PC games. I played NES and SNES growing up and got back into gaming with Wii.

I'm in my late 20s.

onipex

I stuck between buying this, goldeneye, or DCR. I might just go ahead and buy all 3 and trade in my back log I have almost no interest in playing.

Rich!

onipex said:
I stuck between buying this, goldeneye, or DCR. I might just go ahead and buy all 3 and trade in my back log I have almost no interest in playing.

DKCR would be my pick. Definitely.

But GE is great, and Epic Mickey looks good too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I keep forgetting this is right around the corner. Yay.

JRW

This game is awesome and a lot of fun, The music is pretty decent although the tracks seem a bit short.

I haven't had many issues with the camera except it can feel a little sluggish when manually adjusting (minor issue) It has a 1st person look (press button 1), pressing C on nunchuck centers the camera & d-pad for manual camera adjustment.

I hate to ask but I'm a bit of a completionist and this part is driving me nuts, has anyone figured out how to get this chest thats in the background? do I have to come back later for it? (sorry for the crappy cellphone pic): PIC

Kard8p3

JRW said:
This game is awesome and a lot of fun, The music is pretty decent although the tracks seem a bit short.

I haven't had many issues with the camera except it can feel a little sluggish when manually adjusting (minor issue) It has a 1st person look (press button 1), pressing C on nunchuck centers the camera & d-pad for manual camera adjustment.

I hate to ask but I'm a bit of a completionist and this part is driving me nuts, has anyone figured out how to get this chest thats in the background? do I have to come back later for it? (sorry for the crappy cellphone pic): PIC

If its the part I'm thinking of I believe you need to paint in all the big gears so they all move.

Haunted

Vizion28 said:
Those sound like PC games. I played NES and SNES growing up and got back into gaming with Wii.

I'm in my late 20s.
They are indeed. We're the same age.

Funny how people can grow up with completely different experiences within the same hobby. :D

But yeah, pretty much all the games I mentioned are classics. Not of PC gaming, but of gaming in general. Definitely try to check some of them out!

You are in your late 20's and never played Wing Commander??!?!

Go get Wing Commander 3 or 4 or Privateer 2.....sooooo goood

Wing Commander 3 was like the first game to have movies in it!

SuomiDude

BigJonsson said:
You are in your late 20's and never played Wing Commander??!?!
Go get Wing Commander 3 or 4 or Privateer 2.....sooooo goood
Wing Commander 3 was like the first game to have movies in it!
Not really surprising if someone hasn't played WCs and such. I haven't either (and I'm in my late 20s, and I have been playing PC games for over 15 years now), as I don't care for space simulation. But I still recognize all the listed games though, and have played a bit of Thief, and I love Ultima VIIs (was he involved in those?).

So there's quite a bit of talent behind this Mickey game, and I liked the old SNES Disney games, including the Mickey ones. But I'm not sold on this game yet, probably mainly because there hasn't been any good impressions yet. Gotta wait some more.

For people playing - seen any lighter levels? Yeah I know the world's messed up and all but I'd still like lighter levels...that are messed up. All I've seen is dark ones.

Pezking

Haunted said:

I'm 33 and never played any of these.

Then again, I don't play on PC. C64, Amiga, and after that only consoles.

But I did at least play "Wing Commander" on Amiga for a few hours. Then I got sick of the 2 fps and played "Epic" instead. :lol

Ikopi

No Epic Mickey in stores here in EU. Have been to Bart Smit, Saturn and Free Record Shop. Everywhere pre-order signs for the 26th of November.

Apenheul

Ikopi said:
No Epic Mickey in stores here in EU. Have been to Bart Smit, Saturn and Free Record Shop. Everywhere pre-order signs for the 26th of November.

That's strange I got it from a Free Record Shop in 's-Hertogenbosch just yesterday. At Dixons and GameStore they also had plenty of copies on the shelves.

JADS

Bel Marduk said:
For people playing - seen any lighter levels? Yeah I know the world's messed up and all but I'd still like lighter levels...that are messed up. All I've seen is dark ones.

Yes,
Clock Tower 2D level and Clock Tower Boss Fight

G.O.O.

About the camera, I found this (that was an accident, believe me :lol )

How much of a challenge have you found designing the camera?
We have the challenges that no other designers have had with a camera in a third person game. Designing a camera is hard enough, but imagine doing it when the wall behind the player may or may not exist – or the floor beneath the player may disappear. The camera troubles with this game are epic believe me, and I guarantee we’ll be tuning the camera the day Disney prise this out of my hands.
http://www.next-gen.biz/features/interview-warren-spector (July 1st 2010)

JADS

I like how the game gives you choices during some quest. I am currently looking for power boxes so I can connect
Mickey's phone
again. I need to do this because otherwise I cannot fix a bridge that Oswold destroyed. The game gave me a choice: either have my Gremlin partner storm into the house or do a fetch quest. I picked the latter but I wonder what would have happened if I let my partner do the talking.

Level design has been pretty decent so far. The
hub world
is incredible moody. With a twisted
Disney Castle
overlooking the town and a statue of
Walt Disney and Oswald
in front of what seems to have been a park. The 2D levels are short but solid, kinda like Mickey Mania for the SNES/Genesis.

Camera is still a bit iffy from time to time for me, even when using the controllable d-pad camera. There seems to be a lock-on like Zelda during combat, but I haven't been able to use it. Combat after the first hour is a bit sparse, the game seems to focus more on doing quests and platforming. Great game so far though.

Apenheul

I'm starting to appreciate the level design more and more. Instead of the usual carrots & sticks design it really rewards the player for exploring, so more like Banjo Kazooie than Mario Galaxy. That's certainly not a knock on Mario Galaxy but Epic Mickey relies more on intrinsic motivation and experimentation to explore the levels. I often look around the level in 1st person view and wonder 'ok, now how do I get up there?'. The 'playstyle matters' aspect also becomes increasinly apparent, I have a feeling that I skipped a number of optional quests and because I'm consciously playing 'good Mickey' things sometimes take a turn for the unexpected, though at one time I couldn't find out what the best way to handle the situation was but I guess that's exactly what Warren Spector wanted. I'm looking forward to see if the game opens up further, could be GOTY material.

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but where did the people currently playing the game get it from?

Review copies? Leaked copies?

Just curious.

Apenheul

BertramCooper said:
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but where did the people currently playing the game get it from?

Just curious.

It's already out in The Netherlands.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
BertramCooper said:

Just curious.
Dixons, retail

edit, yeah Netherlands. Copies are everywhere

Apenheul

JADS said:
I like how the game gives you choices during some quest. I am currently looking for power boxes so I can connect
Mickey's phone
again. I need to do this because otherwise I cannot fix a bridge that Oswold destroyed. The game gave me a choice: either have my Gremlin partner storm into the house or do a fetch quest. I picked the latter but I wonder what would have happened if I let my partner do the talking.

I chose to look for the power boxes, it'll be interesting to see which consequences this choice will have for future quests.

Mael

Well awesome OP, sorry that I can't take it now for quite some time though (seriously I wish I pooped money)

JRW

Still enjoying this im currently in Ostown, although im not so sure about the numerous fetch quests ive had to do all of a sudden.

Also I have a feeling the camera is going to get some negative reviews now that ive spent more time with the game. Sometimes it just doesn't do what you ask of it lol.

But Im still banking on 7.5 - 8.5 ratings for the game.

Nekofrog

Banned
Camera + paint + pointer has issues, too often. You're pointing at something clearly high above you, yet Mickey keeps painting the ground, even if you get very close to an edge. It has killed me more than it should. Seems like a simple fix.

Teetris said:
Dixons, retail
edit, yeah Netherlands. Copies are everywhere
Dutch Holiday "Sinterklaas" is on the 5th of December and because that is a kids event, they wanted Epic Mickey to have more time to sell for parents to give it to their children.
So the release here was move up.

GCX

Looks like Disney is doing some decent marketing for the game. I saw a trailer in a movie theater before Deathly Hallows.

Just pre-ordered a copy (Amazon tells me I should have the game on EU launch day), are there any 2 player options at all in this? Geez, it's going to be fun dancing around the inevitable spoilers.

JADS

Ok
Mickey's Junk Mountain
is such an awesome level. From the great platforming at the beginning to the 2d gauntlet and the meeting with
Oswald
at the end. I am actually surprised how old school the game feels. It has a certain feeling that’s a bit Banjo Kazooie and DK64 like, while still keeping its own style. Some mechanics feel a bit dated though, mainly the fact that Mickey doesn’t have invincibility frames. A wrong jump or being hit by an enemy can drain more than one hearth of your life. Dying is not much of a punishment though, the game automatically loads your last save point. Usually this is the start of the area you are in. Once again the element of choice is there, I could either defeat a bunch of enemies or find some gears to power up a machine, but I am not sure what kind of effect it will have on the game.

Top Bottom