• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

WillyFive

EmSeta said:
Man, I wanna see some proper reviews. I hate this embargo trend.

Well, it doesn't seem like it, but it's still very early. We still have a week before it comes out in Europe, and half a month before it comes out in North America.

big_z

did all the banned posts get removed? i was hoping to read some dumbasses trying to defend themselves from pirating accusations.

Eteric Rice

Willy105 said:
Well, it doesn't seem like it, but it's still very early. We still have a week before it comes out in Europe, and half a month before it comes out in North America.

Comes out in 10 days in North America.

Apenheul

Hiltz said:
So what are some of the other Disney characters you guys have seen so far ? I'm mainly referring to classic Disney characters like Capt. Hook and Smee from the 1950s and up.

So far I've seen (in order of appearance) Pete,
Horace Horsecollar
and
Clarabelle Cow
Goofy
Daisy Duck
, and
Smee
. But that's only from the first 8 hours or so.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
big_z said:
did all the banned posts get removed? i was hoping to read some dumbasses trying to defend themselves from pirating accusations.

The (stupid) title is referring to the threads that appeared on NeoGAF when this was first announced.
Some people were upset that it wasn't coming to real consoles.

Has anyone found a way to generate a lot of tickets yet? I'm in need of a good amount, and I can't seem to find a good way to farm them yet.

Sadist

I'm at
Ostown

But I've missed someting completely.
I've painted Moody's house and now he's talking about some safe password I can use. Where is this safe? Can't find it :p

Sadist said:
I'm at
Ostown

But I've missed someting completely.
I've painted Moody's house and now he's talking about some safe password I can use. Where is this safe? Can't find it :p

On top of the Gag Factory, opposite of Mickeys house. It has the safe hanging out from it.

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Isn't LE available in Europe?

Nope.
Those fuckers... I wanted the Mickey figure. Im pretty sure the making off dvd will be the parts were the creators talk in youtube.

When someone gets the special edition I would like to see photos of the figure and what the dvd has.

Sadist said:
Wow Mickey Junk Mountain is awesome.

It has thrownaway NES and SNES carts

It was the most scary part of the game, and especially when you come to the top and see what it holds of secrets.

Sadist

Yeah, in a few places the camera is plain sucky. I was timing a jump and the distance was actually bigger than I thought. You won't make these mistakes twice, but I believe this wasn't necessary at all. (Thinks of Galaxy 2 camera)

I'm still having a ton of fun. The Disney magic is all around :D

Hiltz

Is the player choice stuff living up to expectations and are the paint and thinner gameplay mechanic fun to use in combat ? Also, how's the story?

Hiltz said:
Is the player choice stuff living up to expectations and are the paint and thinner gameplay mechanic fun to use in combat ?

Paine and thinner is really fun. Removing the floor underneath a Beetleworx is satisfying as all hell. But I'm not seeing much Warren Spector. It's very "redeem" or "kill" in the obvious choices. The rest of the choices boils down to "would you rather do this quest first or this one?", I've only seen a few of the be a dick or be a nice guy ones.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Vinterbird said:
Paine and thinner is really fun. Removing the floor underneath a Beetleworx is satisfying as all hell. But I'm not seeing much Warren Spector. It's very "redeem" or "kill" in the obvious choices. The rest of the choices boils down to "would you rather do this quest first or this one?", I've only seen a few of the be a dick or be a nice guy ones.
In a video I saw of an early area (I don't know if watching streams is ok here?) there was an area in a Eastern-ish Boat area where there were multiple ways of getting to the door and lowering it.

None were explicitly pointed out, but it was the type of platformer where getting hit once or twice and bumping yourself around a level can actually push you passed a challenge, there were no invisible walls (which automatically gets me excited, I'm a sucker for throwing myself against both the metaphorical and physical rocks a million times hoping to trigger a ledge-grab or an equivalent in platformers). Then, when he got to the door, he went back and 'did it properly', before going back and 'doing it properly' two other ways, one of which included raising a giant dragon out of the water and walking across it. Some people, perhaps most people, might have never seen that! That seems very Spector. A lot of the choices seem to be very understated, in that yes, while there are some big MAKE A CHOICE things, a lot of the time it just comes down to whether you run one way or the other during a natural progression of a level, be it a more-open environment or the seamless progression into a more linear level.

If you're a 'I don't know how much you know about videogames (I'm an expert)' guy, then it seems like the game does a good job of accommodating both that and simpler options for people who just want to brute force their way around by spending tickets on things and breaking barrels.

Granted, I watched about 15 minutes before getting all giddy and 'omg, big-3D platformers like they used to make them with modern sensibilities' and turning it off. I adore the Galaxy games, but it's kind of cool to see a game take the big openish-world 3D platformer concept and really expand on it, while mixing it with the linear sections and the 2D sections. There's so much potential in a design like that, I hope they exploit every last drop of it.

Haunted

I think the main theme fits the Disney/Mickey motif really really well.

Stumpokapow said:
Hey guys -- if you're not in Europe, don't post impressions about how much you're enjoying playing the game. No one imports games from Europe to America to get them 7 days early and we don't allow pre-release impressions from pirated copies.

Legit purchasers, feel free to continue!
Fuck yeah, Europe! Man, I enjoy playing this game so much.

European-Union-Flag.jpg

I don't even have it yet. :(

Rez said:
In a video I saw of an early area (I don't know if watching streams is ok here?) there was an area in a Eastern-ish Boat area where there were multiple ways of getting to the door and lowering it.

None were explicitly pointed out, but it was the type of platformer where getting hit once or twice and bumping yourself around a level can actually push you passed a challenge, there were no invisible walls (which automatically gets me excited, I'm a sucker for throwing myself against both the metaphorical and physical rocks a million times hoping to trigger a ledge-grab or an equivalent in platformers). Then, when he got to the door, he went back and 'did it properly', before going back and 'doing it properly' two other ways, one of which included raising a giant dragon out of the water and walking across it. Some people, perhaps most people, might have never seen that! That seems very Spector. A lot of the choices seem to be very understated, in that yes, while there are some big MAKE A CHOICE things, a lot of the time it just comes down to whether you run one way or the other during a natural progression of a level, be it a more-open environment or the seamless progression into a more linear level.

Granted, I watched about 15 minutes before getting all giddy and 'omg, big-3D platformers like they used to make them with modern sensibilities' and turning it off. I adore the Galaxy games, but it's kind of cool to see a game take the big openish-world 3D platformer concept and really expand on it, while mixing it with the linear sections and the 2D sections. There's so much potential in a design like that, I hope they exploit every last drop of it.

If you want that kind of choice, then the game is littered with it. There's so many ways to pull something off. Helping people, ignoring them and running around or just randomly forcing your way through by almost breaking the game (landing on a piece of geometry by luck/mistake and making a double jump to an area you weren't supposed to reach yet).

That kind of choice the game has a lot of, but I'm not really seeing a lot of the choice that has a direct consequence on something in the game, it is mostly very Spector-Ultimate era'ish in terms of brute forcing emergence by giving the player a fuckton of options in terms of getting from A to B, but there isn't a lot of the Deus Ex choice in terms of what you do as a player will ripple effect into a lot of things.

The last part has mostly been in the "redeem or kill" area, where it might have had a very small change in terms of you getting a reward or not.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Vinterbird said:
If you want that kind of choice, then the game is littered with it. There's so many ways to pull something off. Helping people, ignoring them and running around or just randomly forcing your way through by almost breaking the game (landing on a piece of geometry by luck/mistake and making a double jump to an area you weren't supposed to reach yet).

That kind of choice the game has a lot of, but I'm not really seeing a lot of the choice that has a direct consequence on something in the game, it is mostly very Spector-Ultimate era'ish in terms of brute forcing emergence by giving the player a fuckton of options in terms of getting from A to B, but there isn't a lot of the Deus Ex choice in terms of what you do as a player will ripple effect into a lot of things.

The last part has mostly been in the "redeem or kill" area, where it might have had a very small change in terms of you getting a reward or not.
From what Spector was saying it seems like the choice consequences won't really be evident until multiple playthroughs. He was making a big deal of having characters that you save at one point show up at a later point, which you wouldn't notice until you can contrast the different playthroughs.
"Oh, that guy isn't here this time. I guess its because I didn't help him three hours ago"

The_Technomancer said:
From what Spector was saying it seems like the choice consequences won't really be evident until multiple playthroughs. He was making a big deal of having characters that you save at one point show up at a later point, which you wouldn't notice until you can contrast the different playthroughs.
"Oh, that guy isn't here this time. I guess its because I didn't help him three hours ago"

The thing is, there hasn't really been any situations where any previous characters has appeared, or I have been in a situation where the above has happened (saving someone or choosing not to).

So far, the consequence stuff hasn't been very obvious or present, but it might chance in the final hours of the game, although I kinda doubt it. It seems like the focus was on letting the player reach the goal of a level in whatever way they want.

Sadist

So I was just in
Ventureland, level where you need to find three symbols on stones

This level isn't very logical from a level design perspective. You could hit a lot of objects/environment with paint and thinner. But there is too much to influence, which makes it all to unclear. Plus, couldn't beat the weird robo-pirate.

Yoshi256

Banned
Kenka said:
Game isn't out yet right ? That would explain the low rate of answers in this topic.

It has been already relesed in the Netherlands, the rest of Europe has to wait until Thursday.

I'm really curious about the success of the game, it could be a bit too complex for kids, but after all it's a Mickey Mouse game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
any comments on the level of challenge in Mickey?

My mind is telling me to get DK first, but my heart says Mickey. I think I'll listen to my heart.

I've been intrigued by it since release so I'm hyped about playing it for myself soon.

JRW

This game is pretty lengthy my current save file is at 11 hours 49 minutes of game time and it looks like I have a decent ways to go still.

Im the type that likes to explore every nook and cranny and Ive been trying to complete any sides quests presented to me, so your mileage may vary.

Very addicting game IMO.

LiToKi

Neo Member
Vinterbird said:
The thing is, there hasn't really been any situations where any previous characters has appeared, or I have been in a situation where the above has happened (saving someone or choosing not to).

So far, the consequence stuff hasn't been very obvious or present, but it might chance in the final hours of the game, although I kinda doubt it. It seems like the focus was on letting the player reach the goal of a level in whatever way they want.
Well,
in the very beginning of the game, where Pete has had an accident with his boat in the Gremlin World, you have to find his shiplog to prove his innocence, and when you do, he does show up later to thank you and opens up a treasure room (some chests/random props).
Granted, it's not three hours apart, but I thought it was an example of 'saving' someone.

LiToKi said:
Well,
in the very beginning of the game, where Pete has had an accident with his boat in the Gremlin World, you have to find his shiplog to prove his innocence, and when you do, he does show up later to thank you and opens up a treasure room (some chests/random props).
Granted, it's not three hours apart, but I thought it was an example of 'saving' someone.

As I said somewhere above, it was one of the very few direct consequence things i saw, but since it still boils down to "reward or no reward" it really doesn't feel like anything more then a sidequest, then an actual choice where the players decision has a consequence on what will happen going forward in terms of story.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hugely disappointed in this so far.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AgentOtaku said:
elaboration?

I cant much as I have a review copy. Its just really unpolished and unstimulating.

LiToKi

Neo Member
Vinterbird said:
As I said somewhere above, it was one of the very few direct consequence things i saw, but since it still boils down to "reward or no reward" it really doesn't feel like anything more then a sidequest, then an actual choice where the players decision has a consequence on what will happen going forward in terms of story.
True. I also do hope that the entire paint/thinner thing has a bigger role to play than some stat-bar or temporary alignment. Haven't played it that much yet, I'm about 3 hours in.

Impressions so far; camera is clunky (not as bad as in getting stuck, but not very good either, I'm hitting the reset button a lot), platforming is clunky (press jump, wait for the jump-start animation to start and finish, oooh here he goes, now he's jumping! woo. hoo. Guess coming from SMG2 or SMB makes everything else look slow and unresponsive in comparison).

Nostalgia factor plays a big part, if you're sensitive to such a thing.

It's also quite silly to see the game on the store shelves next to the "Pre-order now!" signs right next to it. And the guys working at shop don't even seem to notice "Can I buy this game yet?" "Yeah, sure, why not?".

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm hugely disappointed in your posts, EatChildren. :(

I so want this to be good. Either way, I plan on playing it for myself, but if I hear much more negativity I might have to hold off on my day one plans.

dang

Snuggler said:
I'm hugely disappointed in your posts, EatChildren. :(

I so want this to be good. Either way, I plan on playing it for myself, but if I hear much more negativity I might have to hold off on my day one plans.

dang

Adjust your expectations. It is not Galaxy 2 level of platforming, it is very much last generation middle of the ground platforming.

It's hard to pin point why, but I keep playing it, even if it is not amazing in any way, which has me quite puzzled.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Adjust your expectations. It is not Galaxy 2 level of platforming, it is very much last generation middle of the ground platforming.

Yeah, I'm trying to keep that in mind. I guess it won't help that I just got Super Mario Galaxy 2 and will be playing it soon. :lol

maybe I really should hold off, then

This is the 1st 3rd party game that has made we really WANT a Wii since it's debut. Man... such an awesome premise and setting. Would love to play this. Looks like great fun.

Vinterbird said:

It's hard to pin point why, but I keep playing it, even if it is not amazing in any way, which has me quite puzzled.

Have you played Mushroom Men? That's the kind of platforming I like so if it's anything like that game I'll be happy, I don't ask for much.

EatChildren said:
I cant much as I have a review copy. Its just really unpolished and unstimulating.

While I generally agree, it gets a bit better as you progress further (although it reverts back to unpolished and oddly structured during the pirate level).

EatChildren

Vinterbird said:

My expectations are fine. Every problem I have with the game so far comes down to downright sloppy and unpolished design and fundamental mechanics. It doesn't need to be Galaxy level of platforming, but it does need to be polished. This isn't.

EatChildren said:
My expectations are fine. Every problem I have with the game so far comes down to downright sloppy and unpolished design and fundamental mechanics. It doesn't need to be Galaxy level of platforming, but it does need to be polished. This isn't.

I wish we could break the embargo now and just talk openly, or at least more openly, because I really don't know how to feel about this game right now.

hatchx

Banned
EatChildren said:

Damn. I usually agee with you EarChildren.

The game looked unpolished from the get-go. The hit detection and physics just seem off, and the world always looked empty.

Top Bottom