• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

Apenheul

I should mention that this game clearly is the dark & gritty post-apocalyptic game that we expected from the early concept art, the rendering is just stylistic instead of realistic. Right now I'm about seven hours in and the game is still opening up with new mechanics and enemies being introduced, I wonder how much content there is in the game because I've already visited so many 2D and 3D levels and yet I feel like I've only seen a fraction of the game. I haven't even seen half of the scenes from the E3 / TGS videos yet.

Anyway, I agree with others that the camera controls can be very annoying. I also wonder how the game will be received by reviewers. I don't know what this game has to offer beyond the first 7 - 10 hours but from what I've played so far I expect mixed reviews from maybe a C to an A. For the younger people among us this may become the new Ocarina of Time, it definitely deserves the title Epic Mickey.

JRW said:
Still enjoying this im currently in Ostown, although im not so sure about the numerous fetch quests ive had to do all of a sudden.

It's probably just because of the
fetch quests in Mean Street
that you feel that way. Although some puzzles are fetch quests in disguise, i.e. find & activate all four gears, I haven't seen that many yet. You'll find that the next sections focus more on action & platforming.

JADS said:
Ok
Mickey's Junk Mountain
is such an awesome level. From the great platforming at the beginning to the 2d gauntlet and the meeting with
Oswald
at the end. I am actually surprised how old school the game feels. It has a certain feeling that’s a bit Banjo Kazooie and DK64 like, while still keeping its own style. Some mechanics feel a bit dated though, mainly the fact that Mickey doesn’t have invincibility frames. A wrong jump or being hit by an enemy can drain more than one hearth of your life. Dying is not much of a punishment though, the game automatically loads your last save point. Usually this is the start of the area you are in. Once again the element of choice is there, I could either defeat a bunch of enemies or find some gears to power up a machine, but I am not sure what kind of effect it will have on the game.

I agree with the game reminding of N64 platformers such as Banjo Kazooie, for that nostalgic reason I'm having a great time. I just don't know whether the people who're used to what I just called 'carrots & sticks' design one or two pages ago can appreciate it.

Amir0x

Banned
Apenheul said:
Anyway, I agree with others that the camera controls can be very annoying. I also wonder how the game will be received by reviewers. I don't know what this game has to offer beyond the first 7 - 10 hours but from what I've played so far I expect mixed reviews from maybe a C to an A. For the younger people among us this may become the new Ocarina of Time, it definitely deserves the title Epic Mickey.

that's an odd comparison considering an Ocarina of Time would be a 10 to everyone everywhere

Apenheul

Amir0x said:
that's an odd comparison considering an Ocarina of Time would be a 10 to everyone everywhere

Banjo Kazooie would perhaps be a better comparison, I meant that it feels a bit dated yet nostalgic for those among us who've been playing games for a couple of generations already but people who're relatively new to gaming might appreciate how different it is from 3D platformers in this generation.

Sadist

Got my copy too :D

Yeah, the camera is a bit "surprising" but I already know how to handle it. Okay, I'm talking about the first half hour here but what I've seen sofar its nice.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey guys -- if you're not in Europe, don't post impressions about how much you're enjoying playing the game. No one imports games from Europe to America to get them 7 days early and we don't allow pre-release impressions from pirated copies.

Legit purchasers, feel free to continue!

JADS

Apenheul said:
I agree with the game reminding of N64 platformers such as Banjo Kazooie, for that nostalgic reason I'm having a great time. I just don't know whether the people who're used to what I just called 'carrots & sticks' design one or two pages ago can appreciate it.

Agreed, it's like a modern homage of a N64 platformer. I think people will either love it to death or hate it for that reason. At what part of the game are you? I am fetching
rocket parts
and I just defeated
Digi Pete
. Classical boss battle with the whole disk going back and forth. :lol Game seems to be filled to the brim with all kind of unlockables, concept arts and cartoons. I wonder how long this game is, because it feels like a massive game with some decent replay value.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've had the CE preordered for ever now.
I really hope this game doesn't hurt.
Ever since the very first concept art leaked, and the very first non-confirmed rumors started to trickle out, I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense that this game HAD to deliver. HAD TO! It had better, damn it!

faridmon

BGBW said:
Will probably get this as a Christmas present and buy DKC:Return on release.

UK GAFers can get a special bonus DVD from HMV.
  • 3 classic Mickey Short Cartoons
  • Lonesome Ghosts
  • Through The Mirror
  • Whalers
  • 3 Disney Epic Mickey Trailers
  • 49 Stunning Concept Art Images
Fuck. It seems I have to pre order at HMV then.

I love HMV, but most of the time they are a bit expensive.

Stumpokapow said:
Hey guys -- if you're not in Europe, don't post impressions about how much you're enjoying playing the game. No one imports games from Europe to America to get them 7 days early and we don't allow pre-release impressions from pirated copies.

Should we provide a picture before posting further impressions?

Apenheul

JADS said:
At what part of the game are you? I am fetching
rocket parts
and I just defeated
Digi Pete

I'm only about 30 minutes ahead of you, I just got to
Ventureland
. Btw, have you completed
Animatronic Goofy
yet?
I thought I'd do that later but the game won't let me go back to Tomorrow City

So seeing that you CAN change the language by changing your locale, I bought it anyway.

I really like it. It plays pretty good, save for the sometimes incredibly annoying camera (which also makes me feel a bit nauseous while playing for a long time), but overall they're some pretty smooth controls. I like how Mickey feels, really Mickey-like, not like other platforming games.

I have a few gripes though with the game. I'm not sure if I really like the level design. It's no so much the dark and gloomy style, because I understand where that's coming from, it's more like the level design hasn't really been thought through. For example, it happens way too often that I'm jumping on platforms that lead to absolutely nowhere, and I have to jump all the way back before I can actually get back to the main land. It's not in every level but there are some weird choices. Then again, I'm used to Mario platformers and we all know they're in a league of their own.

I previously mentioned the problems with the camera, but there are some other problems with that. Sometimes I have trouble determining the distance that Mickey is from the place I want to jump on. In one of the earlier levels there are some rides that you have to jump on, and they look like you can just make them with a double-jump. Strangely, though, half a normal jump is all it takes. If there is one game that would really benefit from 3D gaming, it's this one.

The other problem I have with the camera, and I'm not sure if this is the camera's faults, the paint brush', or mine, is that sometimes I'm standing on i.e. a bridge and I want to paint it in. I aim on the toon part but the bridge is blocking my stream of paint. I have to jump multiple times and paint in short bursts to paint it in. This happens very often and it annoys me enormously. I think it could be easily fixed by making the paint not an actual liquid in the world, but making it more of a jet that can go through objects so it's easier to paint.

Overall, I like the game, I hope, though, that there's more variation than I have encountered now, but I'm not that far. I've only just defeated the first (large) boss, and I think I'm in the hub world now. It is a solid platformers with a lot of neat ideas, I like the choices for example. I just hope it will get better over time.

Peff

Apenheul said:
I'm only about 30 minutes ahead of you, I just got to
Ventureland
. Btw, have you completed
Animatronic Goofy
yet?
I thought I'd do that later but the game won't let me go back to Tomorrow City

You can't return to any of the non-hub stages (don't know if that one is one of them, though), apparently if you miss an item you either fail that quest or have to buy it in a shop.

Apenheul

Peff said:
You can't return to any of the non-hub stages (don't know if that one is one of them, though), apparently if you miss an item you either fail that quest or have to buy it in a shop.

Darn :/ Oh well, I'll just buy the items then. The quest-list doesn't mark it as failed yet. Thanks!

I was just looking at the cover btw and I'm wondering if it discourages people to buy it. I don't know, it isn't a really attractive cover in the sense that it something you immediately look at when you see it on the shelves.

What do you think?

Bisnic said:
So many people are playing the game, but where are the reviews?

Under embargo untill the 25th.

Question for those a few hours in:

In Mickeyjunk, there's a working phone. Is there some phone number that holds special Mickey value to Americans? Did Club Mickey have a special number or is it more of an in-joke referering to the Nintendo help line, since it is right by the NES and SNES games?

Pizza Luigi said:
I was just looking at the cover btw and I'm wondering if it discourages people to buy it. I don't know, it isn't a really attractive cover in the sense that it something you immediately look at when you see it on the shelves.

What do you think?
It says Disney

It's a word people recognize even if they can't read

Peff

Vinterbird said:

In Mickeyjunk, there's a working phone. Is there some phone number that holds special Mickey value to Americans? Did Club Mickey have a special number or is it more of an in-joke referering to the Nintendo help line, since it is right by the NES and SNES games?

Heh, I caught part of that in a stream:

the phone inside Mickey's house asks you to find a phone there so his line can reach further if you help him instead of sending the imp for the wrench. Closed shortly after so I don't know the specifics, sorry, but I think you're out of luck since you shouldn't be able to return to that stage from what I've been told.

I'm trying to decide between the regular or collector's edition.

Normally I'm never interested in collector's edition games, but the behind-the-scenes DVD intrigues me.

MYE

The impressions are in this thread are heartbreaking :(
I was expecting people parising it left and right and calling it charming and emotional.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Pizza Luigi said:

What do you think?
You referring to the clean white look right? It certainly, instantly, got my attention when I saw 3 copies sitting right next to each other. I think the box looks great for what it is and actually think it will attract more people than if it had the regular cartoonish artwork on the box.

Tho I do think it might not get to as many casuals as they want to.

Apenheul

Vinterbird said:

As Peff said, it depends on how you've acquired the gremlin's tool in Ostown. I searched for the power boxes and then I got the phone number. In case you wan't to try ,it's

MYE said:
The impressions are in this thread are heartbreaking :(
I was expecting people parising it left and right and calling it charming and emotional.

It is charming from time to time. But mostly it is kinda morbid, depressing and really fucked up in some places. But it's very clear that everyone involved loves the mouse a lot. There's constantly a reference somewhere, and they really created a great Mickey for it.

I'm not seeing much Warren Spector yet, but I really hope that comes around later on in the game. And fuck that camera can be broken at times.

Looking forward to the reviews for this. I am trying to decide whether to ask for this or DKCR for Christmas as far as games go. Or a Kinect but...I don't see any games compelling me to get one right now. So bring on the Epic Mickey reviews!

Vinterbird said:
It is charming from time to time. But mostly it is kinda morbid, depressing and really fucked up in some places.
In that case, all of the people bitching about how the game isn't like the concept art should be pretty pleased.

Sadist

So I'm at
Gremlin Town

And I have to agree with Apenheul, this game feels like a platform game from the N64 age. In a good way that is. The game encourages you to explore the levels for more secrets and collectibles, which I enjoy.

BertramCooper said:
In that case, all of the people bitching about how the game isn't like the concept art should be pretty pleased.

Very minor spoiler for some people:

When you enter Oswalds lair/house it totally has that freaky serial killer/stalker/jealous crazy freak vibe going on. And it makes me really sad that Warren didn't keep his original vision for the story to be a fight between Oswald and Mickey, and have Oswald be this crazy halons brother that wants everything Mickey stole from him in the first place.

There's some hints to it left in the game, but I really wish it was still the story of the game.

Hiltz

I wonder if it would be possible for Junction Point Studios to release a patch to fix the camera issues among other things.

Hiltz said:
I wonder if it would be possible for Junction Point Studios to release a patch to fix the camera issues among other things.

There are no visible online hooks in the a game, and generally there isn't patches for Wii games.

Also, am I the only one that thinks the animated cuscenes subtitles move way too fast? I already missed some lines in one, and itnkinda ruined some of the stuffnthe game was trying to convey.

Naruto

Htown said:
This appears in every Wii game thread.

EVERY. ONE.

There can be ten Wii threads for interesting recent/upcoming games on the front page, and in every one of them someone says "HERP FINALLY SOMETHING I CAN DUST OFF MY WII FOR" or "DERP FIRST WII GAME THAT LOOKS GOOD IN THE LAST YEAR AND A HALF" or "HAVEN'T TURNED MY WII ON SINCE MARIO KART" or something stupid like that.

Pay attention or STFU. Nobody cares how dusty your Wii is - that's your problem not the console's.

:) Best comment of the week! Agreed 100%.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
hatchx said:
Wow, the impressions are leading to believe this won't be the game it was hyped to be.

Most of the impressions we've heard from people who actually played the game over the last few months have suggested what we're hearing right now. It's not amazing mechanically, not necessarily bad, but it's not gonna stand up to the kick ass platformers that Nintendo have released this year. As long as the setting works, and the platforming is acceptable I'll still be purchasing this. Just be sure to set your expectations at an appropriate level and you should be good to go.

Jintor

Stumpokapow said:

Outside those territories... but NDA'd. :p

Wazzim

Banned
Said I would stay out of this thread but fuck that. I heard this is like the PS1 mickey game, don't know how it's called but it was about Disney's history too. Is this true? I loved that game so much.

Wazzim said:
Said I would stay out of this thread but fuck that. I heard this is like the PS1 mickey game, don't know how it's called but it was about Disney's history too. Is this true? I loved that game so much.

Mickey Mania, or Mickey's Great Adventure elsewhere. It is in some ways like that, especially the 2D portions of Epic Mickey. While Mickey Mania was solely focused on Mickey toons, this is more focused on Disneyland rides, and the toons in the 2D portions.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Vinterbird said:
Should we provide a picture before posting further impressions?

I'm not trying to be like heavy handed SHOW US YOUR PAPERS--that's not my style although I know some moderators had historically been like that--so don't bother to show a picture or prove you're European (I know you are), I just think it's pretty classless when people give pirated impressions and I hope that any of the people in North America who have pirated the game would at least have the tact to refrain from posting about it until the game is actually on sale somewhere in North America.

There was one guy posting HD Dolphin screenshots he took of Super Mario Galaxy 2 like a week before it came out in the earliest territory, and I just shake my head when I see something like that. Or all the people on GameFAQs message boards that get tripped up by copy protection on the DS games they pirated and keep asking "Why does the game always freeze at this point?" "When is the boat going to pull into port?" "Why does the time warp never work for me?". *shakes head*

Jintor said:
Outside those territories... but NDA'd. :p

I remember one guy got banned for pirating FF12 and when he got called out on it, he said he was a reviewer--except that the SE NDA for FF12 prohibited reviewers from discussing anything past a certain point in the game's plot, so either the guy was a pirate non-reviewer or he was breaking his NDA and openly admitting to it on GAF :lol

Wessiej

Bought this game on thursday here in Holland, the shipment just got in so I was one of the quickest one in the world :lol? I dont know.

But i'm loving it, so much atmosphere.

WillyFive

BertramCooper said:
The main theme is nicely orchestrated (especially during the sinister-sounding sections), but I'm not crazy about the motif. It's kind of clunky, to be honest.

I think it's too busy. All the music I've heard has too much going on that makes all the instruments blend together. Any more, and it would sound like noise.

I like the motif, but it is kinda long and inflexible as well.

But I guess I shouldn't expect Kingdom Hearts quality. This is still great.

Hiltz

So what are some of the other Disney characters you guys have seen so far ? I'm mainly referring to classic Disney characters like Capt. Hook and Smee from the 1950s and up.

Eteric Rice

All this Mickey Mouse history I've been learning through the developer interviews has me wanting a Paper Mario style Mickey game.

:D

Top Bottom