• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Dragon Commander |OT| The political RTS/TBS/RPG/Action game

Dawg

I was going to get this day 1 but review keys have been sent out. Day -5 now. Embargo 5th. Recommended HDD size is 30 GB (pretty big!)

Being Belgian myself, I have high hopes for this games. Larian is probably the biggest and most ambitious developer in our country. I've also enjoyed their previous games. Country bias aside though, I really hope this game will deliver.

Durante

Box quote.
There are plenty more where that came from:

"Dragon Commander is one of the most creative and ambitious games I have seen in years"
~ PC Gamer Germany

"Dragon Commander managed to surprise me more times in an hour than many games do in a week."
~ Rock Paper Shotgun

"A wonderful blend of action and strategy gameplay, the RPG and meta-game components serve to add yet another layer."
~ Strategy Informer

Midou

Watched a bit of a couple of videos, so I impulse purchased, lol.

Got it on Steam for the 'owning Divinity 2 discount'.

This is like multiplayer as well right?

I'm midousama on Steam, this is my profile in case there are duplicates.

SparkTR

This might be offtopic, but as a person who's new to the Divinity franchise, what order should I play the games and where does Dragon Commander fit in that?

Durante

This might be offtopic, but as a person who's new to the Divinity franchise, what order should I play the games and where does Dragon Commander fit in that?
The lore connections between the individual games are there, but they aren't all that essential. So the order isn't too important either.

Ideally you should play them in the order they were released I guess, so Divine Divinity, Divinity 2, Dragon Commander. You can (and probably should) skip Beyond Divinity, it's not very good.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Or maybe they should have made the Dragon female and then you'd want to protect it.

Or license a franchise. Breath of Fire 6: Dragon Commander, anyone?

I'm now imagining how a well made Breath of Fire SRPG would turn out, with dragon knights and a jazzy soundtrack. You may have saved Dark Souls but you just ruined my day :(

Corto

The let's play video is indeed great. Loved the smooth and seamless transition from the Dragon direct control to the tactical gameplay. I have it through the Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter so getting two good games in one hit is going to be grand.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

It predates all of the other games. The technological incongruity between Divinity : Dragon Commander and the rest of the Divinity series, has to do with a deal the eponymous protagonist made with demons.

Durante

It predates all of the other games. The technological incongruity between Divinity : Dragon Commander and the rest of the Divinity series, has to do with a deal the eponymous protagonist made with demons.
I didn't even know this.

Midou

Wonder if the full game will upgrade off the beta client or install something new, I just finished dling the Beta client though. I got like infinite bandwidth so I guess it's fine, lol.

I done bought it. Don't usually pay this much for games, but whoopdedoo. The thing sounds neat.

Not much for playing unfinished games so I'll skip the beta and wait the week or whatever for the officially finished build.
Suppose I could ModBot out the beta key.
^^Or maybe not.

zkylon

zkylewd
sounds awesome but 40 bucks :/

I feel bad because imma spend that money on saints row, but it's just a guilty pleasure of mine :p

Labrys

The character interaction seems a lot like Titanic: Adventure out of Time mixed with Civilization, I like it quite a bit.
I don't have the money to pre-order it at the moment, but I am keeping my eye on it, definitely.

Azusa

Cool PC game is a nice thing, but 40 euro... You see that's why Steam sales is bad for PC game industry. I don't buy games on PC without 75% discount (Paradox games is an exception.) Steam sales are way too regular.

Kinan

God damn, looks fantastic. Thanks for this thread, subscribed, will get the game when I'll have a bit more free time than now.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Seriously and for real, Larian is underrated as fuck.

Will wait for a Quick Look of this, but unless it's complete garbage it looks awesome enough that I'll most likely pick it up.

I just got all the other Divinity games on Steam over the sale!

You are in for a treat. Divinity 2 is very, very good and Divine Divinity destroys pretty much any modern RPG.

Gurvon

Neo Member
Day 1 baby, looks awesome and considering Larians track record i'm sure this will be one hell of a ride.

Lingitiz

I'm playing this for review but I can't say anything till Monday. If you guys have any lingering questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them on the 5th.

Dawg

Isn't he a racist too? I remember there being a racist lizard when I did the preview a couple of months ago.

It was quite funny.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Since I pledged $135 to Original Sin, I'm expecting an email from Larian with my Dragon Commander key any day now ...

FACE

Banned
Since I pledged $135 to Original Sin, I'm expecting an email from Larian with my Dragon Commander key any day now ...

Check the Larian Vault:

The Larian Vault now allows all of you to manage your pledge. In case you are wondering, that also includes everybody who backed via Paypal.

So, how does it work?

Go to https://www.larianvault.com

Once logged in, click the Kickstarter logo in the menu
Fill in the email address that you use to log in on Kickstarter OR that you use to log in on Paypal
Click the "Look up and link" button
Check your email and click the link
That's it!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This needs to be out. I completely ignored this game because I thought it was going to be some 10 dollar quick offshoot of Divinity. I watched that Let's Play about a week ago and was kinda blown away.

Durante

This needs to be out. I completely ignored this game because I thought it was going to be some 10 dollar quick offshoot of Divinity. I watched that Let's Play about a week ago and was kinda blown away.
Yeah, it's certainly not a quick cash-in. They worked on it for years, and it shows.

peakish

I remember this looking very cool when I saw it some year ago, glad it's close to release. My game budget is a bit stretched right now but Larian is cool and deserve my support so I'll get it later.

No Love

Banned
Wow this is insanely awesome! I have aalways liked the Divinity series but this is such a great mashup. Cant wait to try it.

Subscribed, and purchased on the recommendation of based Durante.

This game does seem like the appetizer before the main dish that is Divinity: Original Sin, though. That is THE ONE I've been waiting for.

Also, it's pretty criminal that this thread is pretty sparse and devoid of hype and gaffers. Figures that a PC only game made and designed for the old school gamers would not interest GAF at all.

Great OP, Durante, absolutely wasted on the console based heathens on GAF, heh.

Durante

This game does seem like the appetizer before the main dish that is Divinity: Original Sin, though. That is THE ONE I've been waiting for.
I feel the same way, simply because RPGs are my favourite genre, but interestingly enough it seems like this one is just as large a project for Larian (in terms of production).

Also, it's pretty criminal that this thread is pretty sparse and devoid of hype and gaffers. Figures that a PC only game made and designed for the old school gamers would not interest GAF at all.
There's a lot more PC talk here on GAF now than back in 2006 when I joined, but much of it revolves around console ports. The group of old-school PC gamers may not actually have grown as much as a casual glimpse of the thread titles and post count may indicate. This is a very "PC" game, so I didn't expect a lot of movement in the thread, but I have to say the lack of interest is still a bit disappointing.

So is the main gameplay type a general Skirmish/Civilization style random generation? Can I wipe that Lizard Snob off the face of the earth?

Durante

So is the main gameplay type a general Skirmish/Civilization style random generation? Can I wipe that Lizard Snob off the face of the earth?
I don't think there's any random generation, actually. The main singleplayer campaign revolves around capturing strategic maps while story stuff happens in between -- at least as far as I understood it, I haven't played that part yet! Oh, and I think story-wise you actually fight your siblings (other Dragon Knights).
To get a better idea of how that plays out you can watch the Let's Play linked in the OP.

In multiplayer, you can either play a single RTS skirmish or an entire strategic campaign.

Dawg

Positieve reviews and good word of mouth may increase this game's popularity.

Just curious if more sites are going to give it 8-9/10

Top Bottom