• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Dragon Commander |OT| The political RTS/TBS/RPG/Action game

Setre

I have no money and have to pick up my preordered copy of Pikmin 3 whenI get off work. I also still gotto beat Dynasty Warriors 8 and start SMT IV. Having said all that though I'm going to preorder this after I pick up Pikmin. Fuck having no money, gotta play this game.

Durante

I have no money and have to pick up my preordered copy of Pikmin 3 whenI get off work. I also still gotto beat Dynasty Warriors 8 and start SMT IV. Having said all that though I'm going to preorder this after I pick up Pikmin. Fuck having no money, gotta play this game.
That's the spirit!

The preload is 8GB or so by the way.

When does the review embargo end? I'm preordered and ready to rock but I'm hoping for some solid reviews to ignite more mainstream media attention.

danthefan

Taking all my willpower not to buy this, I just cannot afford it atm nor do I have time to play it. Will definitely get it in the future, hope it sells well!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I hope Original Sin gets a bit more fanfare than this. This game looks amazing. Original Sin? That looks ridiculous.

I think it ended today, the big sites probably haven't bothered assigning anyone to review this.

Honestly if they did review it do you think they would get it right? This is exactly the kind of game where you trust the aggregate opinion of the kind of posters that show up in these sort of PC game OT threads.

Honestly if they did review it do you think they would get it right? This is exactly the kind of game where you trust the aggregate opinion of the kind of posters that show up in these sort of PC game OT threads.

Depends if they assign the right folk for the job. The late 20s/early 30s reviewer with a solid background in traditional PC gaming would do this game justice in the reviews.

This is not a game you'd trust to the teenage, console bred, IGN/Gamespot dudebro Halo/COD intern to review.

THINGS YOU WILL LOVE:

High learning curve

This is what I meant by my post. Reviewers don't get that learning and mastering the diverse systems of a multifaceted game like this is one of the better, if not the best, parts of playing this kind of game.

DocSeuss

I've been anticipating this since its first announcement. Now I'm even more upset about this whole impending homelessness thing. Here's hoping I find a job within the next couple of weeks.

THINGS YOU WILL LOVE:

High learning curve

This is what I meant by my post. Reviewers don't get that learning and mastering the diverse systems of a multifaceted game like this is one of the better, if not the best, parts of playing this kind of game.

I think part of it is that most game reviewers seem to review games in a very short time span, because of the whole 'first to publish' thing that's so important. I've noticed that a lot of PC games tend to get the short shrift, in part because they're much more freeform and open-ended than console titles. I'm betting Dragon Commander's review scores are going to suffer from this.

Lingitiz

My review isn't quite up yet, hopefully later today. I can say this game is really fantastic all around. In response to the high learning curve thing, I didn't think it was bad at all. The first few fights are pretty difficult because the combat is so fast, but I figured it out pretty quickly. It's even more forgiving considering you can restart every battle at any time.

In fact my biggest problem with the game is that it's probably too easy, especially the last third where you're just ridiculously overpowered.

Dawg

Does this have a story or is it like Civ?

Has a story, but you can play it like Civ too in skirmish.

Just finished my review as well, such a good game. I liked their past games as well, but you cannot deny the lack of polish in most of their games. DC is made on their own (without a publisher) and this has a (very) positive effect on the game's polish and gameplay.

Well, I'm going to grab this when I get back from class. This seems like a relatively sudden decision to buy that I won't regret unlike the horrendous Omerta.

Arcteryx

Uhh how did I just hear about this? Definitely picking it up after watching those preview/trailer videos. Game looks like an AWESOME combo and reminds me of some classic oldie games.

Dawg

It has a story, which itself isn't all that great. The character dialogue is excellent though.

Lol, this is exactly what I wrote in the review. Story isn't that deep, but its the many conversations aboard The Raven that make up for it.

EDIT: In the MP modus, you can enable stuff so you can play an actual boardgame on the tactical map (like RISK) instead of playing RTS. You can also play with a dragon spawntimer and cost set at 0, so the dragon is always there. Or you can just make it like Starcraft and play without dragons

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dragon Commander Beta -- MB-03BE08BDEAA0D258

Dawg

How does the marriage stuff play out? Horribly cheesy or is it bearable?

Bearable, even funny. I mean, why wouldn't you want a bone princess while people making "bone" jokes all the time?

she also wants you to steal human organs to make her human again

Ettie

A game of this complexity would be well served by a demo. I can imagine lots of people who play on PC now weren't into it when multi-genre games were a "thing".

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Holy hell, how have I not heard about this game before just now. This looks like one of the most refreshing game ideas I have seen in quite some time, and to be quite honest the execution (from the launch trailer at least) looks to be pretty good.

Dammit. Dammit dammit dammit. I really have been trying to avoid building a gaming PC but between this, Company of Heroes 2, and all the other PC games that have been tempting me it is getting harder and harder to avoid the siren call.

Durante

I have to admit that the reviews (at least the ones posted so far) are actually more positive than I expected. Some really love it, but even the more skeptical ones don't dip much below 80%.

Like Fragamemnon, I didn't expect this game to resonate with the reviewers at all.

Uhh how did I just hear about this? Definitely picking it up after watching those preview/trailer videos. Game looks like an AWESOME combo and reminds me of some classic oldie games.
Holy hell, how have I not heard about this game before just now. This looks like one of the most refreshing game ideas I have seen in quite some time, and to be quite honest the execution (from the launch trailer at least) looks to be pretty good.
The wonders of being a PC exclusive without a large marketing budget.

If it's this bad on GAF I shudder to think about the overall visibility of the game.

I have to admit that the reviews (at least the ones posted so far) are actually more positive than I expected. Some really love it, but even the more skeptical ones don't dip much below 80%.

Like Fragamemnon, I didn't expect this game to resonate with the reviewers at all.

The wonders of being a PC exclusive without a large marketing budget.

If it's this bad on GAF I shudder to think about the overall visibility of the game.

On the plus side they won't have to sell 3 million copies just to recoup their marketing budget, so they can design the game to not have to appeal to 3 million random LCD buyers.

Green Yoshi

The German website GamersGlobal gives it a 7.5. The reviewer liked the game but the chief editor says it is not complex enough. (German)Gamestar gives the game 81%. There's a lot of heart and soul in the game

DC09_910hd.jpg

I hope it sells good on Steam and GOG.

Dawg

Not complex enough eh? I'd say exactly the opposite :p

If anything, it was almost too complex at times.

Top Bottom